A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Well the emails are flowing regarding acct specs...... - mt2

Posted: Jan 23, 2013

They must have a lot of new people on this account. Maybe if they paid a decent salary that we can live on, there would not be such a turnover with this company. I've read on these boards in the past how people skim over headers and zip through reports because they are making such crap wages and have bills to pay.

I give them what they - pay for and not new, nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think most of us do. I have bills to pay to - need to make $$. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Me too, speed is #1, no longer care about bogus 99% - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I figure they are going to do whatever they can to make sure I don't get it even when I do extremely careful work. Might as well fail an audit for something real than made up garbage.

You pay me 4 cpl and don't provide me with 8 hours of work, you get me going as fast as I can while the work is there.

Don't even start on "patient care" either, the patient's care is the docs responsibility, not mine. If he signs a report with an error, that is his problem not mine.
Totally agree ! s/m - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
And don't get me started about the acct specs - too much wasted time with that crap and NOT paid for any of it. The longer it takes to finish a report, the less you make. It's already pretty weird that the last day before end of pay period, all of a sudden I go from 99+ to 98. I have done this for 30 years and no, I'm not perfect but at my last job, I averaged 99-100%.
Let's face it - it's a racket these companies are - running. I wish it would land them in jail! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not going to officially "Dislike" your post, but I really do dislike the gist of it. - Patient care should still be a priority.
[ In Reply To ..]
If you heard about the Precycse lawsuit, that patient died because of what was originally an (offshore) MT error. And sloppy work by U.S. MTs doesn't help our reputation any to try to keep what little bit of work we've got left.

I don't disagree that they're taking advantage of us and the pay is unfair. I lost bonus for 9 months because of their bogus QA too, but I still don't slack on my efforts at quality and accuracy, regardless.

I understand the anger and frustration, but to rah-rah 'go as fast as you can' and 'patient care isn't my responsibility' sentiments really disappoints me. Your mileage may vary.
It is no longer a group effort to assure that - records are correct SM
[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSOs only care about the money they can make and they attempt to make us feel that it is all on our shoulders to be sure the record is correct. They do this with emails, with QA, with trying for bogus bonuses, etc. etc. IMO, 99.99 % of the reason for blanks is because of the dictators. They don't seem to care at all whether the records are correct. We get blamed or dinged for their carelessness. We are now expected to do clerical work on the record that we don't get paid for and we are now responsible for client specs that are ridiculous and our only there because these MTSOs will agree to anything to get the account. All of this slows us down. We have had our wages slashed in half because of a lie that was started by VR companies to see their product. Everyone puts their heads in the sand and pretends that this lie is true, that VR will allow an MT to do twice the amount of work in the same time. Everyone but the MTs that is. We are being screwed right and left so don't tell me that if it weren't for me a patient's care would be in jeopardy. If there is a problem with a record, it is the fault of everyone I listed above, most of all the physicians. When I was paid a living wage for the time it took to transcribe, that was one thing. My job was to transcribe the record accurately, not bend to everyone's whim with account specs and make sure the clerical work involved in the report was correct, that used to be done in the hospitals where they had access to the actual record. Now, I do the best I can with what I am given. I refuse to spend my time searching for a doctor's first name or something else that was mangled by the physician for more than I think necessary. I won't be guilted by this anymore. Why would anyone agree to work for free basically because you are lead to believe it is all on your shoulders? Nonsense. I know this is rambling, I have just had it with this particular line of thinking.
If the offshore MT who was working for Precyse hadn't made that error, - then that person would be alive.
[ In Reply To ..]
It *is* a group effort, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not. I totally, totally agree that the VR production stats touted by the developers and marketers in order to sell their product are total BS and that we've all suffered as a result of it. That still doesn't abrogate our responsibility as part (and I said "part") of the team/group that produces medical records, which may, in some instances, be used in such a way that patient care is most definitely, emphatically affected. It's like the butterfly effect ... a tiny action can have major consequences down the road.

I can only hope that those MTs who think that speed is their only or top priority never have their hands on my or my loved ones' medical records, ever. I also hope that they get out of this field as soon as they possibly can, goodspeed to them.
No it SHOULD BE a group effort and it isn't - anymore. It seems that SM
[ In Reply To ..]
all the responsibility for an accurate record is put on our shoulders. Are these physicians ever held accountable? Sometimes I wonder how a patient even understands what their physician is talking about. I personally think we sometimes work miracles with what we are given to decipher.
Sorry but to say an MT is the key to patient's life is pure BS. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The doctors and nurses who actually provide patient care should be making sure of medication doses and other issues that are life and death. An MT who makes minimum wage is not where fingers should be pointing.

You hand me garbage VR and pay me minimum wage, you get one sped up read through. I still get high QA but it's because I have been doing this for years. There is no way I am putting forth any extra effort.

If your loved one is sick, your best bet is to be involved and make sure your doctors and nurses aren't complete idiots like the one's who are really responsible for killing that patient, not the MT making 1 cpl.
That's not what I said at all, said the MT is a part of the group effort. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The court in the Precyse lawsuit pointed their fingers at not only the hospital but also the company (i.e., Precyse) who hired and paid that MT and levied a $140 million verdict against them all. So what "should" or shouldn't be happening in terms of fingerpointing or blame is legally moot when an MT makes an error that negatively impacts patient care. Being the *start* of a problem that snowballs doesn't make one the whole problem, but still an integral part of it.
where does it say MT is Key to Patient's Life? - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Right in the title of her post. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You apparently didn't read beyond the title. - the poster of that post (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I'm not the person who was arguing about it. - just answering the question
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone asked where it was ever said, and I showed where it was said. I wasn't the person arguing the matter, but just pointing out that it was in fact said, even if not in the rest of the post, so I can see where the person who was arguing it got that assumption.
I don't agree. The nurse (or whoever it was) - should have known SM
[ In Reply To ..]
if she has any experience that the dosage was wrong IMO. It's scary to think that a medication dosage would be determined just by a current discharge summary or whatever it was. There is the rest of the medical record, the medication reconciliation list, etc. All those should be checked if a question arises. Why did the nurse not question the dosage? Was she inexperienced?
Group effort - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, QA needs to be a group effort. Actually, it started with the VR speech engine, which entered "80" when the provider said "8." The MT/editor did not catch it and neither did QA or anyone else involved in the patient's care. However, it was clearly heard and testified to in court by several MTs. I am involved in QA and see errors like this all the time, because some MTs now are concerned with quantity and not quality. I also think that editing does require a different skill set, even though many say the opposite. Expecting it to be a production job is not realistic and I think editors need to be paid by the hour. I can remember when it didn't matter how many reports you got done in a day, having them accurate was what mattered. Unfortunately, those days are gone. An on shore MT could have made this error too. We all need to realize that what we do does matter before something like this happens again.
Thanks, I agree with you as well, and certainly an onshore MT could - make the same error.
[ In Reply To ..]
Which is part of my point in the above posts, that speed should never be one's top priority. But the odds for error are higher with offshore, even with the extra levels of QA (good point, even more level/s the error apparently slipped through), because of their lower quality standards, which fact was testified to in court as well.

"Finkbohner said the hospital saved 2 cents per line of text by using the outside firm. But he said it came at a price: Testimony indicated that the Indian firms operate under quality standards that are one half to one twelfth that of the United States in terms of acceptable error rate."
I can agree to a point. We should be careful what we - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
transcribe. However, the physician, PA, NP, etc, signing that report should verify its contents before signing off on it. Had the physician verified what he/she signed, the error would have been caught and corrected.
It may have been written about somewhere, but I haven't seen... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]

what the doc's culpability was.  He hadn't read or signed the report yet.  But perhaps he was contacted and told them to use his DS, even knowing he hadn't read it? (assuming he ever would have "read" it)

"The hospital violated its own procedures and multiple national patient safety standards by using the unreviewed, unsigned Discharge Summary to write admission and medication orders for Sharon Juno's admission to a local rehabilitation facility."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jury-holds-hospital-transcription-company-responsible-for-fatal-medication-error-140-million-verdict-2012-12-17

"Still, Finbohner said, the error never should have resulted in Juno’s death because the nurse at Thomas Hospital should have used the original document prepared by the doctor – the so-called medication reconciliation form. She testified that the original form was not available because it was being scanned.

So she used the discharge summary prepared in India and wrote the medication information onto the physician admission order containing the doctor’s signature. It made it appear as if the doctor had confirmed the information about the medication when he had not, Finkbohner said."

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/fatal_outsourcing_thomas_hospi.html

I'd like to know what the other two "critical errors" were in the transcript (as per the "three critical errors" mentioned in the Marketwatch.com article).

Not an MT error, it isn't the MTs responsibility - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Doctors are REQUIRED to read their dictation and sign off on it. If they CHOOSE not to read it, NOT MY PROBLEM.

This job no longer pays us a professional wage. We are burger flippers at this point, and I treat it as such.
You get what you pay for. How long do they - think we will put up with SM
[ In Reply To ..]
this? Because of all the unpaid tasks I am required to do, because of the atrocious dictation I receive, because of my pay cut, I am now making not much more than someone with no skills doing a minimum wage job. You get what you give. I have no respect and I now worry only about my own survival.
I have a doc who continually signs - miffedmt
[ In Reply To ..]
off his reports with MULTIPLE blanks in them - nothing ever filled in. How is that quality patient care? It's not my fault they don't want to read their stuff cuz they are too busy and it's not my fault they can't take the time to dictate a quality report! They signed up to be a doctor, DEAL WITH IT!! It's part of their job and a very important one!

Similar Messages:

How Do You All Keep Your Acct Specs Organized?
Jul 28, 2011

I'm sure a lot of you work on multiple accounts. I work on 3 different accounts. Right now I have my account specifics on my desktop, but this is aggravating to me. I think it would be easier to print them and put them in a binder to have easy access to them and put each hospital in its own tabbed section. Some people may think it's easier to have them on their desktop where they can click on them and leave them open in the background, but then I scroll and seems like cannot find w ...

Specs
Dec 04, 2013

Hello I was emailed specs because I am buying a new computer. I am new to transcription and dint necessarily know what all of this means. In the specs it says platform 7 I am unaware of what that is. Also the specs don't list anything about windows 8 even in the not supported section didn't know if anyone knew if platform 7 is compatible with windows 8. ...

What Do The Account Specs Mean By
Jul 09, 2011

qualified verbatim?  This may be a dumb question but the wording on some of these account specifications is confusing to this old lady. ...

Need To Buy A Computer, Anyone Know What Specs I Need For Transcription?
Aug 21, 2011

Ok, I have to buy a computer and I'm going to have to go tomorrow to find something because I'm starting a new job this week, so I'm down to the wire.  I've been trying to find out where to buy and what to buy.  It is at the point right now, I cant afford a brand new one but I want to get a used one that will be good for transcription.  Can anyone tell me what to look for such as processor, processor speed, how much RAM, etc.  I am desperate. ...

FIESA Could Not Locate In Act Specs
Aug 21, 2012

Okay please someone answer this for me - I check my FIESA every day I made an error one day (actually I knew I didn't put this heading in because I had no info to put underneath it and could not locate in act specs whether or not you still put heading in if there was nothing to put underneath it) I sent a note to my QA/QC person and did not hear back - the next day I had the same thing and treated it the same way.  I then later that day got my FIESA back from that report which had been don ...

AARGH. Account Specs
Apr 13, 2013

Driving me crazy!! Hundreds of nitpicky preferences that have NOTHING to do with patient care. Wait until the Obamacare database kicks in. They will be told what to put in and in what format, and I hope we're all grinning as Federal employees. ...

Computer Specs Questions
Nov 09, 2013

Recently unemployed from a hospital which paid hourly and supplied computer, footpedal, etc.  I recently interviewed for a job with a service and my computer does not meet the required specifications.  They did send me their required specs.  I was wondering if I posted what the specs are could someone tell me if I purchase this, would it work for any other company.  I passed this company's employment test without a foot pedal.  Can someone recommend a foot pedal tha ...

Why Can't Account Specs Be Kept Current?
Dec 03, 2013

Second large account I have been placed on and, again, account specs are not up to date. When they send them out, you study them, focus on them while you are working, only to be sent an updated edition 2 and 3 times. Before you ask someone to help on your account and send them specs, is it too much to ask that they are current? Isn't that your job? My primary account specs are so outdated, I do not know how anyone could work on it either. ...

What Are The Minimum Specs For Using Your Own Computer?
Jan 25, 2014

Got laid off from company that supplied computers. Have to find another job but not sure if I should go buy a computer or what kind if I do. Apparently not a lot of companies supply a computer. If I have to buy one, I'd rather buy a laptop. Can you work from a laptop? If so, what would the minimum requirements for that laptop be as far as RAM and CPU, operating system, etc. I would think most new laptops would meet most companies' requirements? Any advice would be appreciated so ...

Universal Specs Could Be Used For Any New Account If Only
Aug 02, 2014

1. Type what the provider says. 2.  Leave a blank when unintelligible.  3.  Send here _________when finished.  Have the attorneys not explained to these people yet that the more responsibility assumed for unachievable perfection is just that much more liability they will bear for the inevitable errors that occur? Good grief, they must have never tried a case in a real court of law.  ...

Can Someone Tell Me If These Computer Specs Are Acceptable...
Oct 13, 2014

for most jobs: HP DC5800 Desktop PCDual Core Processor 2.0GHz 2 GB 160GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Thanks! ...

Requesting Advice On Computer Specs
Mar 06, 2014

Since I'm still using Windows XP, I need to change to Windows 7 OS to be HIPAA-compliant.  I will either buy a new computer or have one built for me.  Since price is a huge factor, I would like to spend the money on only the most important features (RAM and sound card).  Could anyone please advise me on how much RAM, size of hard drive, best sound card without going overboard, etc?  Preloaded or built from scratch?  Desktop or laptop? Like I said, since money is so ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Put On New Acct
Dec 14, 2011

Has anyone else had to change supervisors and accounts because of low work.  I just wanted to know if I was the only one. ...

New Acct
Nov 04, 2012

Is anyone supposed to start on the new acct that goes live tomorrow?  First name of acct begins with an S.   Thanks! ...

Being Put On A New Acct.
Dec 14, 2012

Anyone out there in Nuance world just absolutely refuse to work on a new acct? ...

NJA SA2 Trying To Get Back-up Acct...am I The Only One?nm
Nov 17, 2009

nm ...

New Acct - Training? Why?
Aug 24, 2010

I am starting a new acct tomorrow.  I sure hope I dont have to go through training.  We never have been trained on the cesspool that we get, we just get new accts when our regular work is caught up, so why do we need training on a new account?  That is ridiculous.  MQ, please just let me work and make a living.  Stop with all this changing CCMs and assigning new accts.  This coming pay check I probably will have 2 days on it if that much.  Geez.. ...

WMX MTs With New Acct. Mgrs.
Mar 16, 2011

them yet? Have they checked in to say hello? ...

What Would You Do? Verbatim Acct. Doc Says, Sm
May 23, 2012

lisinopril/HCTZ 20/125.  I'm sure she meant 12.5 but she clearly says 125.  I don't want to leave a blank as I get penalized.  I'm thinking to just do as I know and put 12.5.... ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

Help! Verbatim Acct And In PMH The Doc Says, Sm
Mar 26, 2013

significant for hypOtension and a few diagnoses down from that hypeRtension.  I would leave it a blank if it did not cost me money but not sure she meant the hypOtension.  She repeats herself alot but she clearly says hypOtension.  It's a guessing game! ...

Work On My Acct In The Red.
Jul 27, 2013

My last week of notice, and work is so far behind it is incredible. Wondering if everyone else on my team quit. I feel bad for the patient, not for this company. SMH. ...

OOW Main Acct
Feb 27, 2015

Something is seriously wrong. I am very rarely OOW on my main acct, especially on Friday nights.  Had no work in there all afternoon, now 2 reports and it looks like there are some people who are getting jobs.  Either work is very sparse or too many people are in my account flexing from earlier in the week. ...

I-Medx - Anyone Do That NW US Acct?
May 09, 2015

nm ...

Help! Verbatim Acct, Doc Says Pip Tazobactam
Oct 30, 2009

would you just put pip-tazobactam?? I'm also thinking she made a mistake saying pip which I know is piperacillin.  Thanks so much! ...

No Jobs On Transcend Acct.
May 15, 2010

Hi Transcend MTs:)  It happened, and I never thought it would for this acct., but we have been without work, and when I signed in this afternoon there was only 1 job that I received in my pool.  Called in, and essentially I will be waiting during the night for work.  Is anyone else having this problem? ...

Just Got Call That Moving Me To New Acct
Aug 12, 2010

Just got the call from my CCM that i will be moving to new acct saying there is more work there but when i look at backlog summary, not even 1 job for that account. not sure if this is the last step before i get kicked out. ...

What Do You Guys Do With A Verbatim Acct When Doc
Feb 26, 2011

clearly dictates a sentence that makes absolutely no sense.  Just sort of an open-ended sentence, not even a fragment?  I'm trying so hard to keep the blanks down, which my % is really okay, but I'm finding more and more that these docs are just not making any sense and the mistakes are getting ridiculous!!!  Maybe they are texting when they are dictating........Anyhow, do you just type what they say and send it off or do you mark it for QA? ...

Do You Communicate With Other MTs Within Your Company Or On The Same Acct?
Mar 25, 2011

I was just wondering because I have worked for companies that basically encourage communication via email or IM amongst their MTs and then I have worked at companies that discourage communication with other MTs, there's only communication with your immediate supervisor and QA personnel. I was just wondering what everyone's preference is?  The companies that discourage communication tend to give reasons such as one MT might become a pest and cause others to not get their work done ...