A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are the minimum specs for using your own computer? - Kiki

Posted: Jan 25, 2014

Got laid off from company that supplied computers. Have to find another job but not sure if I should go buy a computer or what kind if I do. Apparently not a lot of companies supply a computer. If I have to buy one, I'd rather buy a laptop. Can you work from a laptop? If so, what would the minimum requirements for that laptop be as far as RAM and CPU, operating system, etc. I would think most new laptops would meet most companies' requirements? Any advice would be appreciated so much. Thanks!!!

Just dont get Windows 8 and yes, a laptop will work. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

NewComputer - VistaBaby

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were to get a new one today, I would get a windows 7/64 bit. The 64 bit does not work with Word 2010 from what I was told by IT at work. Saw some nice desk top SlimLine HP Pavilion machines with the above OS for pretty cheap on the internet. Lap tops are good too and portable in case you have to travel for some reason.

LOL too late, I just got my computer and it has Windows 8 - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually like Windows 8. I guess I'm in the minority? Besides the likability factor, can I ask why you say not to get Windows 8--it seems to be the only OS avail with a new laptop. So what would the problem be?

From what I have heard and read here about windows 8 - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Its not compatible with a lot of platforms. If yoy read the hiring ads here, they usually say what their platforms are compatible with and windows 8 is never listed.

I have a windows 8 laptop but I also have an XP desktop. I still prefer XP when doing more business related stuff. I only use my laptop for surfing the web.

I think windows 8 may limit you to the number of places you can apply at.

New Computer - laidoff2

[ In Reply To ..]
From all of the job listings I have read, Windows 8 is not compatible with their programs. They require Windows XP or Windows 7 as 8 will not work with their programs. Good luck looking for work, it's a job in itself.

Windows 8 - SM - KC

[ In Reply To ..]
You can use a Windows 8 computer and install a "virtual" computer, such as XP, to use for work. That's what I'm currently using. My company installed it remotely on my computer, but I believe there are many free versions you could download yourself. It's extremely easy to switch to the main computer (Windows 8) for searches, e-mail, etc., and back to the XP for working, by simply clicking the taskbar.

Why would you - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
not be able to work from a laptop? This question comes up here frequently, but it makes no sense. A laptop is a computer, it's just shaped differently from a desktop. Why would one think a laptop could not be used for transcription? I've used laptops for years for transcription, and the planet still seems to be rotating in the same direction. So, not a problem.

the keyboard would drive me nuts - the mouse too

[ In Reply To ..]
but other than that you're right. No problems.

You know you can - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
use a regular keyboard and mouse with a laptop, right?
yeah I suppose you could - have never done that nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Keyboard and mouse with a laptop - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
I have used my own laptop for over 10 years when doing MT and I would NEVER go back to a desktop. I have a full size keyboard, which is USB, as well as a USB mouse and have three USB slots on my computer as well as a USB "hub," which allows me four more slots to plug in anything that is USB. I love the fact that I can travel and still work. As far as having Windows 8, I have been told that if the computer is relatively new, that you might be able to have it "rolled back" to Windows 7 -- this is something that would have to be done either through Microsoft or a computer tech.
Laptop and Windows 7 - Serious MT
[ In Reply To ..]
First, I agree that there is no reason why an MT can't use a laptop -- but what I have been doing all this time is using a larger widescreen monitor and separate ergonomic keyboard that both sit on my desk while laptop is stored down below under my desk.

I am also in the process of completing my paperwork for a new MT employee position. I had been using Vista for the past 4 years, and when I started job hunting, I discovered that most companies now want Windows 7 (and definitely NOT Windows 8). I was able to have Dell do a custom install of Windows 7 on the new laptop I purchased, and it was done prior to being shipped to me. So far, this new setup has been working out well for me, and I don't have to get used to a new keyboard or anything since the new laptop just replaces my old one underneath my desk!

Similar Messages:

Need To Buy A Computer, Anyone Know What Specs I Need For Transcription?
Aug 21, 2011

Ok, I have to buy a computer and I'm going to have to go tomorrow to find something because I'm starting a new job this week, so I'm down to the wire.  I've been trying to find out where to buy and what to buy.  It is at the point right now, I cant afford a brand new one but I want to get a used one that will be good for transcription.  Can anyone tell me what to look for such as processor, processor speed, how much RAM, etc.  I am desperate. ...

Computer Specs Questions
Nov 09, 2013

Recently unemployed from a hospital which paid hourly and supplied computer, footpedal, etc.  I recently interviewed for a job with a service and my computer does not meet the required specifications.  They did send me their required specs.  I was wondering if I posted what the specs are could someone tell me if I purchase this, would it work for any other company.  I passed this company's employment test without a foot pedal.  Can someone recommend a foot pedal tha ...

Can Someone Tell Me If These Computer Specs Are Acceptable...
Oct 13, 2014

for most jobs: HP DC5800 Desktop PCDual Core Processor 2.0GHz 2 GB 160GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Thanks! ...

Requesting Advice On Computer Specs
Mar 06, 2014

Since I'm still using Windows XP, I need to change to Windows 7 OS to be HIPAA-compliant.  I will either buy a new computer or have one built for me.  Since price is a huge factor, I would like to spend the money on only the most important features (RAM and sound card).  Could anyone please advise me on how much RAM, size of hard drive, best sound card without going overboard, etc?  Preloaded or built from scratch?  Desktop or laptop? Like I said, since money is so ...

What Are The Minimum Required Computer
Sep 16, 2013

specs for most companies that require you to have your own computer. Got laid off from MM, who provided computers (the ONLY good thing about them!)....but now as I am looking I am finding most places don't do this. Can you use a laptop if you have the required specs? My laptop has 4GB "sdram" and 500 GB hard drive. It has windows 8. I guess I'd have to buy an expander. Will these specs be okay? Thanks in advance! ...

Specs
Dec 04, 2013

Hello I was emailed specs because I am buying a new computer. I am new to transcription and dint necessarily know what all of this means. In the specs it says platform 7 I am unaware of what that is. Also the specs don't list anything about windows 8 even in the not supported section didn't know if anyone knew if platform 7 is compatible with windows 8. ...

What Do The Account Specs Mean By
Jul 09, 2011

qualified verbatim?  This may be a dumb question but the wording on some of these account specifications is confusing to this old lady. ...

How Do You All Keep Your Acct Specs Organized?
Jul 28, 2011

I'm sure a lot of you work on multiple accounts. I work on 3 different accounts. Right now I have my account specifics on my desktop, but this is aggravating to me. I think it would be easier to print them and put them in a binder to have easy access to them and put each hospital in its own tabbed section. Some people may think it's easier to have them on their desktop where they can click on them and leave them open in the background, but then I scroll and seems like cannot find w ...

FIESA Could Not Locate In Act Specs
Aug 21, 2012

Okay please someone answer this for me - I check my FIESA every day I made an error one day (actually I knew I didn't put this heading in because I had no info to put underneath it and could not locate in act specs whether or not you still put heading in if there was nothing to put underneath it) I sent a note to my QA/QC person and did not hear back - the next day I had the same thing and treated it the same way.  I then later that day got my FIESA back from that report which had been don ...

AARGH. Account Specs
Apr 13, 2013

Driving me crazy!! Hundreds of nitpicky preferences that have NOTHING to do with patient care. Wait until the Obamacare database kicks in. They will be told what to put in and in what format, and I hope we're all grinning as Federal employees. ...

Why Can't Account Specs Be Kept Current?
Dec 03, 2013

Second large account I have been placed on and, again, account specs are not up to date. When they send them out, you study them, focus on them while you are working, only to be sent an updated edition 2 and 3 times. Before you ask someone to help on your account and send them specs, is it too much to ask that they are current? Isn't that your job? My primary account specs are so outdated, I do not know how anyone could work on it either. ...

Universal Specs Could Be Used For Any New Account If Only
Aug 02, 2014

1. Type what the provider says. 2.  Leave a blank when unintelligible.  3.  Send here _________when finished.  Have the attorneys not explained to these people yet that the more responsibility assumed for unachievable perfection is just that much more liability they will bear for the inevitable errors that occur? Good grief, they must have never tried a case in a real court of law.  ...

Well The Emails Are Flowing Regarding Acct Specs......
Jan 23, 2013

They must have a lot of new people on this account. Maybe if they paid a decent salary that we can live on, there would not be such a turnover with this company. I've read on these boards in the past how people skim over headers and zip through reports because they are making such crap wages and have bills to pay. ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

New LPH Minimum
Dec 04, 2014

New (converted) LPH minimum is 100. Which means 200 lph if you do mostly editing. ...

Minimum Lph.
Apr 01, 2015

Does anyone know what the minimum lph is now? ...

Minimum Lines Per Day
Jan 11, 2010

I asked this question already on the company board, but I ask it also on this board: What do companies do if an MT turns in 98% accurate work, or above, but does not transcribe the minimum lines per day, as an employee? Does this MT always get fired, or how do companies handle this? TIA ...

What Happens When You Get Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 14, 2010

I'm worried if I suffer another .03 cent decrease I may drop below minimum wage.  How do we indicate that to somebody?  Is it calculated per pay period - or what? ...

Minimum Requirements?
Apr 21, 2010

I've worked for MQ before, just before CBay bought MQ, but I can't remember (and maybe it's changed) what is the minimum number of hours or lines required per week?  I thought it was something like 2000 lines per week.  Is the minimum per hour still 100 lph for PT? Also, what's the pay rate for VR now?  I think it was still 70% when I left.  Is it 50% or 60% of your regular line rate? I'm just looking for something very part-time, like 10 hours ...

LPH Minimum. Be Sure To Keep Track Of All Those
Jul 16, 2013

a job to upload. All those add up and if you don't clock out for them it will go against your LPH and make a difference in your assessments.  ...

Minimum Wage In MA And MUP
Nov 20, 2013

Massachusetts may well pass a minimum wage of $11 (over 3 years).  It's passed the state senate.  Parts of WA (Seatac) actually have a $15 minimum wage.  Wonder what Nuance will do about MUP now, since so many in those states will be getting it.  Could get interesting.  ...

DC Minimum Wage
Dec 18, 2013

Okay, so I read by 2015, DC wants minimum wage to be $11.50 an hour. I'm assuming by that time Nuance will make our minimum line count reflect this increase - approximately 280 lph, especially since WE NEVER GET A RAISE. ...

Help! Can't Make Minimum LPH
Oct 21, 2014

My primary account is a straight typing account. I can't consistently make the minimum line count of 150 lph in our 8 hours. I use my shorthand and as many normals as i can, but I'm making no money. How is everyone doing this? Plus for VR it's only 180 lph. Seems like actually typing the lph should be lower. Someone please tell me how to get enough lines in!! Would quit in a heartbeat if I could, but a little pay is better than no pay, though I am still looking. ...

Minimum Wage?
Oct 29, 2014

just wondering if anyone knows...is there any kind of rule for paying you a minimum wage if your income with MM drops below the minimum wage? ...

At Least Got Minimum Wage
Dec 17, 2014

Bottom line is, regardless of the new pay rules, it's hard to even make above minimum wage before or after the new rules. So at least federal law guarantees minimum wage. Beyond that, my goal is to get out of this field and leave this MTSO company ASAP, though it won't happen overnight. ...

Minimum Wage
Jan 25, 2015

A $15.00 minimum wage would equate to 375 lines per hour at .04 per line. That's 3000 lines a day for an 8 hour day! The best I have ever done was 2700 lines editing in an 8 hour day and that was only once and someplace where I had been doing the same doctors for 6 years. Guess I would get fired for always getting MUP. And by the way, that's 428 lines per hour (3424 lines per day) at .035 per line and 500 lines per hour at 0.03 (4000 lines per day). If more cities raise the ...

TTS - Minimum Production
Mar 28, 2015

I'm curious if anyone is making minimum production with TTS, 125 LPH transcription and 250 LPH editing?   If so, can you give any tips regarding what you cut out?  Proofing, research, etc?  How do you handle the long pauses in dictation?  Anyone use the "Skip Silent" command?   I can see 125 LPH for transcription but 250 for editing when you have to lose production with poor dictators?    Thanks for any feedback! ...