A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need to buy a computer, anyone know what specs I need for transcription? - KT

Posted: Aug 21, 2011

Ok, I have to buy a computer and I'm going to have to go tomorrow to find something because I'm starting a new job this week, so I'm down to the wire.  I've been trying to find out where to buy and what to buy.  It is at the point right now, I cant afford a brand new one but I want to get a used one that will be good for transcription.  Can anyone tell me what to look for such as processor, processor speed, how much RAM, etc.  I am desperate.

you really need to know what is compatible to do the work - firstthingsfirst

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be glad to tell you what brand and model to buy and where to rush out the door to buy it, but if you can't work because it was the wrong operating system, would you be as happy AFTER having spent several hundred dollars? There is an active discussion about this on the main page that will be just as informative.

Talk to your new MTSO/employer and find out what they need for you to buy.

oh, that was you who also posted on the main board - firstthingsfirst

[ In Reply To ..]
so, if you won't take the advice already offered on the main page, maybe someone here will help?

Okay, go to Rent-A-Center and rent whatever they have with an internet connection, don't consider the platform whatsoever. See if it works. If not, you are only out a week of rent and maybe you can get a better idea of what you need. good luck with that new job.

Why the sarcasm, just looking for help - KT

[ In Reply To ..]
Why the sarcasm. I wasnt offered the info such as specific things I need on a computer. What is it with people when you ask for a little help, you have to be so nasty? I didnt change my name or try to hide that I'm asking for this. I havent bought my own computer before and would just like to know what size of things to ask for. Is there something wrong with looking in 2 different places at once to get the info. Seriously...thats really nasty behavior for an adult.
speaking only for myself - firstthingsfirst
[ In Reply To ..]
my attitude changed tremendously when I saw what you are asking for. How in the world you got a job without passing through some sort of hardware/software screening is beyond me. And to see that you have invested nothing into this process, waiting until the last minute, and then expecting people to hand you what you want on a silver platter is also beyond me.

Now that I am beyond myself hehe I will tell you what I said the first time. You need to get back with the hiring company and ask them what is compatible with the account you will be working. If you need XP, a good place to start is a deal-a-day site like 1SaleADay Deals where you can get a refurbished XP with dual Pentium processors and some software like a current version of MS Word. However, if the company you plan to work for only supports versions of Word through 2003, then you need to look at eBay to find a copy there to intall after you get the computer, so you need to prepare yourself for that. I don't know of anyone who is selling off the shelf computers with Word 2003 preloaded.

Sometimes people don't know what they don't know and it makes it impossible to give the exact type of answer you later asked for. As for going to RAC, that was not sarcasm. I've done it before and I am using the computer I tried with them 2 years ago when my work computer died one day.

Additionally just so you are aware, there are many companies who want a report run through a program called Belarc Advisor. Once you download this jiffy little diddy, it creates a report about all the things you want to know about your computer - hardware and software. I worked for some MTSOs who required this report before hiring me to ensure my setup was compatible with their system. They didn't want to waste their time or mine if my setup wasn't compatible.

So next time, maybe, please, be a little more understanding that the information you are being given is the best around. Should you choose not to take it, well, best of luck to you :)
RAC steals your money - JoeUser
[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't buy anything from rent-a-center, let alone a computer. Every single item in their store is overpriced out the yang, and their computers have to be the worst of the inventory. Rent-a-center is notorious for selling people products for several times what they are actually worth. In my personal experience, buying a computer from a rent-to-own place of any kind is just a good way to get bent over a barrel.

You DO NOT need any kind of high-end computer for transcription work. Any computer you can buy at Walmart will be sufficient. The only thing you need to find out from your employer is what kind of operating system you need. If you are unable or unwilling to build your own computer there are many websites and stores that offer various configurations of hardware with various platforms of windows. Buy the cheapest one you can get.

If you want a pc with a little more oomph than what you're gonna get off the shelf somewhere, take the time to learn to build your own. Google can tell you everything you need to know regarding this endeavour.

Just please don't buy a $1500 computer from rent-a-center that's going to be full of old tech and re-man parts when you can build four times the machine for half the cost on newegg.
have you actually shopped and purchased at - firstthingsfirst
[ In Reply To ..]
RAC? Yes, if you purchase over the long term it IS more expensive. However if you price dollar for dollar for the short term - less than 91 days - it is an affordable option. and IMHO, they do not steal any more than what you are in a position to give them. again, that is JMPO...and BTW, I never encouraged more than a one week trial...
rent to own - destinyisntfree
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it can cost more to purchase things through rent to own, but for some people, it is the only viable option they have. Food for thought, though, too, is that if you have an IC position, you can right off your payments for the computer if it is primarily used for business purposes.

I personally used to do this on purpose when I worked locally, because I always had the most up to date technology, as I would upgrade right before paying off, so they would apply some of what I paid on the old machine to a newer one, and then I continued to have the write-off. Perfectly legal, by the way, according to my accountant.

Personally, I was very grateful for the rent to own option a few months ago, because my computer crashed...right before I had to start work. I was able to have a computer in my hands that day, in time for work, for a low amount of money out of pocket at the time, and it saved my job. I will pay maybe 200 more for my computer than I would have buying it outright somewhere, but it is warrantied and insured, and if it breaks, they will fix it or give me another one at no additional charge, so when you think in those terms, it is not so bad. I do not do business with Rent-A-Center, but do use Aaron's, which is a similar company, but much better prices and deals, and they report to the credit bureaus when you pay something off.
I was able to have the tax benefit as well - firstthingsfirst
[ In Reply To ..]
and claim the payments as a business expense. I've had the polar opposite experiences with the companies you mentioned. I detest Aaron's and would do business any time with RAC.

When my computer crashed, I hopped in my car, rented one off the shelf from RAC, loaded in my software and lost only one day pay. I was up and running the following day. When I reasearched the make and model of the computer I had rented, I found it would cost me nothing extra for having gone through RAC. As I was able to pay it off in 90 days, I paid the cash price plus about $90 in insurance. I would have paid more than the $90 if I had put it on a credit card. Since it was during the Christmas holiday season, I didn't have to worry about not buying things for family because all my money was tied up in the purchase of a computer.

I have also used RAC when I needed new living room furniture while I waited on my mom's house to sell. Because I used part of it in my office, I was able to claim a portion of that rental cost on taxes as well.
my experience - destinyisntfree
[ In Reply To ..]
My experience with RAC may very well have been due to the manager at that particular location, though. I did business with them for over 8 years before having had a negative experience. The local one got a new manager, and he was not nice, and after eight years of doing business with them, I needed to be 2 days late on a payment, when I had always been early before that, and he did not handle things properly, in my opinion. Ever since, I have been with Aaron's and they have always been willing to work with me and work around my odd pay dates to make payments. Probably has a lot to do with the people working in my store, though. I bought a washer and dryer that way, as well as a chest freezer, and some other things. It is a great resource for those of us who couldn't afford to otherwise have some nicer things because we couldn't pay for it all at once. I view it like Layaway, except I can use it while I am paying for it.

All they have told me is windows XP - KT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your help.

re: What kind of computer....s/m - destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
KT, to be honest, this is a question better directed to the company you are working for. Honestly, not to sound mean, but most companies will verify that you have the proper equipment prior to even making the job offer, so be very grateful you have been able to get a job so far without that.

There are too many variables between transcription platforms/delivery methods/et cetera for anyone to be able to give you a generic answer on what you need. Different pieces of software need different things to be compatible, functional, and cohesive. Also, even between different versions of the same software, there is a difference in what would be compatible. Let me give you an example:

My company works on Escription/EditScript (whichever they are calling themselves). When I first started, we had accounts that were on version 8. Version 8 is not compatible with anything but XP and 32 bit Vista, and definitely not Windows 7 or 64 bit Vista.

The accounts upgraded to the newer version, and the newest version is compatible with both the 32 and 64-bit versions of all of the above Windows operating systems.

So, the best suggestion anyone can give you would be to call your HR person from the company you are about to work at, and ask them what they want you to have as far as memory, operating system, hard disk space, as those are the basics. Good luck with your new job.
Thanks, I finally ordered one off of a guy who sells on ebay - KT
[ In Reply To ..]
I started looking on ebay and found a guy who sells and builds them. I called the number he had on the one computer that sounded like it was what I needed and he is adding a few things (good sound card)more Ram, etc and since he is only 1 state away I should have it by my start day. Thank you to those of you who are willng to help. I believe what goes around comes around, and I hope I can help you some day with one of your questions. :)

Similar Messages:

Computer Specs Questions
Nov 09, 2013

Recently unemployed from a hospital which paid hourly and supplied computer, footpedal, etc.  I recently interviewed for a job with a service and my computer does not meet the required specifications.  They did send me their required specs.  I was wondering if I posted what the specs are could someone tell me if I purchase this, would it work for any other company.  I passed this company's employment test without a foot pedal.  Can someone recommend a foot pedal tha ...

What Are The Minimum Specs For Using Your Own Computer?
Jan 25, 2014

Got laid off from company that supplied computers. Have to find another job but not sure if I should go buy a computer or what kind if I do. Apparently not a lot of companies supply a computer. If I have to buy one, I'd rather buy a laptop. Can you work from a laptop? If so, what would the minimum requirements for that laptop be as far as RAM and CPU, operating system, etc. I would think most new laptops would meet most companies' requirements? Any advice would be appreciated so ...

Can Someone Tell Me If These Computer Specs Are Acceptable...
Oct 13, 2014

for most jobs: HP DC5800 Desktop PCDual Core Processor 2.0GHz 2 GB 160GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Thanks! ...

Requesting Advice On Computer Specs
Mar 06, 2014

Since I'm still using Windows XP, I need to change to Windows 7 OS to be HIPAA-compliant.  I will either buy a new computer or have one built for me.  Since price is a huge factor, I would like to spend the money on only the most important features (RAM and sound card).  Could anyone please advise me on how much RAM, size of hard drive, best sound card without going overboard, etc?  Preloaded or built from scratch?  Desktop or laptop? Like I said, since money is so ...

Doing Transcription On Your Own Computer
Jul 11, 2012

Does anyone do their MT work on their private computer?  If so, have you had any problems with anyone hacking into your private info?  ...

Transcription Service That Supplies Computer
May 22, 2010

Does anyone know of a transcription service that supplies the computer like MQ?  I need a new job.  I am making half as much as I was 2 years ago at MQ due to ASR and pay cut ...

All-in-one Computer Versus Laptop For Transcription Opinions
Jan 07, 2012

I am curious which would be best for transcription, all-in-one or laptop with larger monitor.  It just seems to me that with an all-in-one you would have less mess on your desk than with a laptop hooked to a larger monitor (I'm ancient so I need a large monitor to be able to see), so I'm leaning towards buying an all-in-one computer rather than the laptop, but have not made my mind up completely yet.  Do any of my other transcription buddies have an opinion on one or the ...

Specs
Dec 04, 2013

Hello I was emailed specs because I am buying a new computer. I am new to transcription and dint necessarily know what all of this means. In the specs it says platform 7 I am unaware of what that is. Also the specs don't list anything about windows 8 even in the not supported section didn't know if anyone knew if platform 7 is compatible with windows 8. ...

What Do The Account Specs Mean By
Jul 09, 2011

qualified verbatim?  This may be a dumb question but the wording on some of these account specifications is confusing to this old lady. ...

How Do You All Keep Your Acct Specs Organized?
Jul 28, 2011

I'm sure a lot of you work on multiple accounts. I work on 3 different accounts. Right now I have my account specifics on my desktop, but this is aggravating to me. I think it would be easier to print them and put them in a binder to have easy access to them and put each hospital in its own tabbed section. Some people may think it's easier to have them on their desktop where they can click on them and leave them open in the background, but then I scroll and seems like cannot find w ...

FIESA Could Not Locate In Act Specs
Aug 21, 2012

Okay please someone answer this for me - I check my FIESA every day I made an error one day (actually I knew I didn't put this heading in because I had no info to put underneath it and could not locate in act specs whether or not you still put heading in if there was nothing to put underneath it) I sent a note to my QA/QC person and did not hear back - the next day I had the same thing and treated it the same way.  I then later that day got my FIESA back from that report which had been don ...

AARGH. Account Specs
Apr 13, 2013

Driving me crazy!! Hundreds of nitpicky preferences that have NOTHING to do with patient care. Wait until the Obamacare database kicks in. They will be told what to put in and in what format, and I hope we're all grinning as Federal employees. ...

Why Can't Account Specs Be Kept Current?
Dec 03, 2013

Second large account I have been placed on and, again, account specs are not up to date. When they send them out, you study them, focus on them while you are working, only to be sent an updated edition 2 and 3 times. Before you ask someone to help on your account and send them specs, is it too much to ask that they are current? Isn't that your job? My primary account specs are so outdated, I do not know how anyone could work on it either. ...

Universal Specs Could Be Used For Any New Account If Only
Aug 02, 2014

1. Type what the provider says. 2.  Leave a blank when unintelligible.  3.  Send here _________when finished.  Have the attorneys not explained to these people yet that the more responsibility assumed for unachievable perfection is just that much more liability they will bear for the inevitable errors that occur? Good grief, they must have never tried a case in a real court of law.  ...

Well The Emails Are Flowing Regarding Acct Specs......
Jan 23, 2013

They must have a lot of new people on this account. Maybe if they paid a decent salary that we can live on, there would not be such a turnover with this company. I've read on these boards in the past how people skim over headers and zip through reports because they are making such crap wages and have bills to pay. ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

Need New Computer
Dec 26, 2009

I need a new computer however I need to have XP for EXText.  Wondering which way I should go--- Dual boot or have 2 separate hard drives, one for XP and the other for Windows 7 Professional?  Any advice? ...

Mq Computer
May 10, 2010

I leave my computer up and running all the time.  In the past week every morning I am having to reboot because I get an error saying "insufficient system resources to perform this action."  As soon as it finally reboots, then everything is fine, I can log onto DQS and type all day with no problems.  Then it sits again all night, and the same thing happens the next morning. Does anyone know what the problem might be?  Tech support has already increased the virtual memory capa ...

How Many Of You Use Your MQ Computer...
May 17, 2010

for other things besides work such as another job, internet shopping, banking, facebook, etc.? ...

Help - New Computer
Aug 19, 2010

I got a new computer today and when my first job comes up the ADT info is at the top of the page.  Can you tell me how to get it off.  Also how to I make the print on my screen larger?  TIA ...

Computer Age VS 6.1
Sep 10, 2010

I was just wondering how old some computers are that are having problems with 6.1 and if there are people with newer computers that handles it better.  Mine is a MQ computer that is 4 years old now and it bogs down quite a bit.  Everything is sluggish now.  I do have 1 GB of ram and 1.84 GHz, so 6.1 shouldn't take a toll on it as bad as it is.  I'm just wondering if I should ask the Q for an upgrade, if that is the problem.  Knowing the RAM and proces ...

Help MQ Computer
Sep 16, 2010

Need help! I don't use an MQ computer, since they don't want you to put anything personal on it, and most of my life, including banking, is on my computer.   My 4-year-old computer crashed and is in the shop for a couple days, and I decided maybe it's time to get a new one.  The problem is, DQS requires a 32-bit system, and so far all the new computers I've found are all Windows 7, which is 64 bits.   I also want to get a slimline, since it kills my ...

Is It Just My Computer?
Sep 20, 2010

I turned off the "check as you go" spelling feature to get rid of that distracting wiggly red line.  When I upload a document, and a mis-spelling is picked up, what's with all the lame suggestions.  I mean either there just aren't any suggestions at all for a simple mis-spelled word with a single wrong letter, or just a simple word.  What happened to the old Q dictionary?  It seems every 5 years their dictionary gets worse.  When I started 10 years ag ...

Using MQ Computer
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking at quitting MQ, and I'm using their computer...do you think they'll let me buy the computer from them????  I can't imagine it's cheap to mail it back to them, and will need a computer for my new job. ...

Computer Needs
Jun 06, 2011

Does anyone use a Mac for medical transcription with Windows XP and MT software that requires nothing newer than XP?  Also any experience with Windows XP and Medrite XL on a newer computer using Windows 7 and virtual xp?  Needing advice before replacing my old computer, which I'm afraid might give out.   I would just load XP but supposedly will be transferring to software compatible with Windows 7 sometime in the future.   Any ideas appreciated.    ...

Lap Top Computer
Oct 03, 2011

Does anyone transcribe on a laptop computer and take your work with you when you travel? ...

New Computer From Q
Oct 20, 2011

came by FedEx today.  Had no idea they were sending this.  I quit or decided not to go with them from AT yesterday.  Would think they would let me know they were sending a new computer.  What a joke, glad I am not staying.  Think they got so big they have no idea what's going on. ...