A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New MT...feeling very discouraged - jj

Posted: Sep 29, 2010

Hi, I have recently graduated from an MT program and have been spending a lot of time on this forum. It has made me think that I may have made a huge mistake. I understand that times are hard, but does anyone have any good advice? I just have been getting discouraged so much lately. I have two young children and want to be able to stay home and help my husband to take care of our family. He already works two jobs as it is (in the health care field) and we just want to get ahead. Did I make a mistake by going into this field?

feeling discouraged... - esmom

[ In Reply To ..]
That would all depend on what you are looking for as far as pay and hours. You also didn't mention if you have actually applied for any jobs/got turned down. If you are looking to make big money, yes, you made a big mistake. If you are just looking for a little supplemental income, then maybe you can find a job and be happy with making a fairly meager living. Sorry to not have much good to say. I was just discussing a pay rate of 0.3¢ per line for VR editing with a company and I thik that is really pathetic!

jj - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
May I ask where you went to school? That has a lot to do with how successful you will be in getting a job.

you did not - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the one reason I took an MT course, to be able to stay home, and I was married at the time. Divorced now, but still so proud that I can make ends meet while staying home with the kids...
posted something like this earlier: my school sent my resume to MedQuist and they hired me, and were actually one of only two companies to get back to me. Been with 'em for 10 years and, though there are many things wrong, they may be able to give you a start, to where in the future you can put in applications wherever you want and be able to say you have experience... GOOD LUCK!

newbies - newbie

[ In Reply To ..]
check out SOAP Transcription and CLK Transcription

SOAP and CLK - Never answered me

[ In Reply To ..]
They never answered me. Along with a bazillion other companies. None ever answer.

CLK - cjr

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an IC for CLK. She doesn't guarantee work and is mostly non-medical transcription. Why not contact her again. It took me a few tries before I got a reply.

Similar Messages:

Feeling Very Discouraged
Aug 14, 2012

Good morning, everyone. I know a few of you followed the last couple times I posted about how I had gotten a new job with a reputable company and they would not let me off full QA and how I was getting only three reports a day. I then posted the news was better on Friday because I was let off QA and given two more accounts. This morning I am feeling pretty low. I now have a total of four accounts and no work in any of them. I was hired as an IC and told I would have steady work and that I ...

I'm So Discouraged
Oct 22, 2009

In the last month, i've had nothing but in-audible dictation to one degree or another.  Either ESL, plus background noise, bad audio/file, extremely fast talking, in-depth and complicated procedures with at least two corrections on each sentence.  Also running out of work at the beginning of the shift.  It just seems very hopeless and I worry about my finances all the time, and my health.  Just wanted to vent some, I just can't believe how awful its become here, I a ...

I Just Am So Discouraged.
Dec 28, 2009

I just had to send a report with 67...yes.. that's right, 67 QA markers.  I've been with this company since 2002, and never have I had such a difficult time with dictators.  I could make out about every 10th word or so.  To the poor soul who has to correct this report.. I am just so sorry.  I believe the most I've ever sent in after all these years was 19, and I thought I'd die when that happened.  I'm ready just to quit.... I don't make an ...

Discouraged
Apr 06, 2012

I'm so discouraged.  I just started and I'm not used to SR.  I'm not even close to what I need to get for line counts.  I only have done straight transcription in the past.  At this point, I want to throw in the towel, but it has been less than a week.  I totally dread going to work and I have NEVER felt that way with my other MT jobs.  Sorry for the depressing message, I'm just so lost.  And - I'm sure anyone that is used to SR would l ...

Getting So Discouraged....
Feb 28, 2014

I've been looking for a way out for over a year. Unemployed currently. Have applied to a multitude of jobs in my area.  No luck.  So I thought about pharm tech school.  Went to the school to register, class is full til next Jan.  So I'm back to searching MT jobs again, hating it, knowing the slave wage I will be offered.  Used to be in the past, if I applied for 5 jobs, I would get at least 4 responses and was able to pick and choose which company I wanted to ...

Tired And Discouraged
Jun 24, 2010

I was recently laid off as the account I was working on went to India.  I desperately need to be working as I have 2 kids to support.  I was offered a job at 0.03 a line editing.  I am debating whether I should accept this as it falls under the heading of  a job is better than no job and waitiing in the employment office really sucks and unemployment only pays $300 a week and this has to be more than that, right?  So my question is, do I take thiis and if so what kind of ...

Downtrodden And Discouraged
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone else losing self-respect because they continue to stay working for a company they have little respect for any more? And for the lurking corporate suits out there, I would like to ask you your opinions on why YOU think people continue to work for the company after multiple pay cuts and almost impossibly high quotas to achieve? Do you think we have some kind of blind loyalty to the company that would compel us to even work for free?  Do you think we speak in loving tones when referenci ...

Very Discouraged About Job Situation.
Jan 26, 2012

I have been in business for 30 years and I have never seen things this bad. I am currently out of work, after having steady work for the last 5 or 6 years. This is new for me and after applying for several companies and no response, I am very discouraged. The companies say they are bogged down with applications and not able to reply to everyone. I feel for all you out there who are out of work now. God help us all. I guess all we can do is pray for a miracle at this point. ...

Beyond Discouraged RE QA Audits
Apr 29, 2012

I don't usually post here - guess I've reached my discouragement limit for the night! I work on a very difficult account as I'm sure many of you do as well, and I spend a great deal of time listening and re-listening to these difficult dictators to make sure I am hearing correctly.  I just checked my audits again and see that I have received another 1 point deduction on a post audit for something they heard differently that I apparently did.  It frustrates me no end that ...

Feel So Discouraged-sm
May 15, 2012

I just started with a new company. I've only been working a few weeks.  I feel lost.  No training to speak of on their software.  They often do not answer e-mails and on top of that they send e-mails every week threatening that if you do not do more, do it better, faster, etc. you will be out of a job.  Wow.....nice!  I am working hard and I do adhere to my committed hours and turn in quality work.  I don't know what else I can do.  I don't under ...

So Discouraged Fiesa
Aug 17, 2013

I don't usually post on here but I am so discouraged with the Fiesa major/critical errors - is anyone else getting them because they say you left a word out?  I listen SO HARD anymore (I even went and had a hearing test and Dr. check last week and my hearing is fine) to hear everything and yet apparently I'm not hearing everything.  I am in tears most of the time now. Sorry, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed an increase in this type of error lately.  Thanks ...

Overwhelmed, Scared, Discouraged
Jun 11, 2010

I just went through training with a new company. They seem like very nice people. But I feel so overwhelmed with everything that we went through in training, in a way I've never felt before. I feel unprepared to do my job on my start date. (Thankfully, it's not today). I feel like I can log in, and that's it. My trainer just blazed through everything as if I knew what she was talking about, as if I had done it all before. Like I said, she was super, super nice. But I feel lik ...

MT Training - Depressed, Discouraged
Aug 28, 2010

I graduated back in May of this year, from the MT program at a local two-year college. The program was a one-year program, but due to the way the required courses were scheduled, it took two years of attending full-time to finish it. I'm starting to wish I had discovered MTStars before I enrolled in the program; if I had known then what I know now about the MT field, it would have saved me almost $10,000 in tuition for training that feels worthless now! As I read postings by experienced ...

Bummed, Dejected And Discouraged
Jul 08, 2011

Found out today that I didn't get the transcription job with the local hospital. Wasn't even granted an interview, just told that there were "lots of applicants and to keep checking back." I was so hoping for a way out of the sQrew.   ...

Discouraged That QA Is Taking All The Good Work
Jun 26, 2014

While I sit here with the boring run-of-the-mill work. I know they are allowed to do this, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I don't blame them. I blame the powers that be who decided that was okay. I'm bored out of my mind. I really am. Maybe I should send some more work their way so I can get some decent work that won't put me to sleep. No, probably not a good idea. When I was working as a QA, I sure didn't do that. Just a vent. ...

Discouraged...are There Legit Good Companies Out There
Jan 13, 2015

I'm certainly getting discouraged by reading more and more on this board.  I used to work for MModal when it was Medquist and they seem just as bad on here.  TTS has bad reviews.  Seriously other than working at an office, which simply isn't feasible for me, are there any reputable, legit companies out there?  I went to the job seeker's board, but it seems it's all FT, or Nuance/TTS/MModal.  Glad I kept my other job, but I had wanted a little extra i ...

We're NOT The Only Ones Feeling
Aug 26, 2010

Read the comments by CBay's CEO and from the smaller Indian firms. Sad to feel some glee when reading this. ...

Got A Feeling.
Jun 01, 2011

My boss keeps telling us corporate says we are not producing enough for the number of employees we have, but we have been producing. Every other week, she will call and say increase production. I have been with the company for 11 years. I have a feeling we are going to be bought out. I am thinking about looking for a new job? I need a backup plan. Sad to see that MT is all about the big wigs making money off the little guy. ...

Feeling Bad . . .
Apr 25, 2013

Took a test for a city job and just got notice that I did not pass.  I was on of over 300 people who took the  test.  Happy for those that passed but wish I would have been one of them.  I believe I bombed in the math calculations.  Boy is it ever a kick in the pants with regard to self-esteem to know that I cannot even pass a simple test.  What can an old timer like me do when all I ever have done is transcription?  Feelling about as low as possible right now. ...

Do You Ever Get A Bad Feeling?
Aug 04, 2014

Now that the bankruptcy business is taken care of, I have a bad feeling. I don't know why now exactly, I just do, that something bad cometh our way...pay cuts, more firings, the usual chaos. Maybe because things have been a little quiet lately. This place has made me paranoid perhaps.  ...

I Get The Feeling This Is All
Mar 24, 2015

some experiment upon which to base some crazy decision "to take us in a new direction" yet again... UGH.  It's too ridiculous to make any sense, so it's giving me a really bad feeling. ...

Not Feeling Well At All X2 DaYS
Nov 14, 2009

Hi, All.  Yesterday morning, about 10 a.m. so, and while working, I started to get what felt like gas pains in the abdomen but onlly from the umbilicus down (it did go all the way across and ended up causing a mild backage - no pain any further.  They were constant and unrelenting,  No relief.  I took to gas pills, wated a littlle while, took 2 more, pain getting worse.  I had 3 ways of describning the pain:  1.  The (minimal) paring knife pain&n ...

Feeling Very Encouraged
Jan 02, 2010

I just wanted to thank those who shared that have been with this company for more than 10 years.  I have really been feeling unloved by MQ lately.  There have been a lot of changes since I've been here, and I've only been here since early 2006.  Been worried also lately about being let go or being laid off.  I don't know, you just gave me some hope somehow and I wanted to thank you all for that.  I guess my job isn't that bad after all.  And we d ...

Feeling Out Of Loop.
Jan 07, 2010

I am just thankful for this site.  If it weren't for it I wouldn't have a clue what is going on ever!  I haven't heard or received any type of email from my CCM? (if that is what they are still called) in over a month.  Then today I find out I've been moved.  I get on here and hear about all these things going on and I never had a clue. Any time something doesn't seem right like Kaspersky or not being able to log into system, this is the first pl ...

Feeling Weird
May 22, 2010

Has any body every noticed how you find companies that seem interested in you and want to hire you, but if you ask them to look up stuff it takes them forever?I had this one company who was interested in me but when I told them I use a mac computer, which I realize now was my mistake, I get the attitude "See you later"? ...

Feeling Stupid
Apr 05, 2011

Looking at an ad that says "Required skills are transcribing 1000 HIM lines (65 character lines) or 2000 MI lines per day."  Is there anyone who can translate HIM and MI for me?  Pretty sure HIM is standard transcription and thinking MI is somehow related to VR, but I guess I'm just too old school to understand new acronyms! ...

Feeling Targeted
Feb 29, 2012

One day the company loves, you the next, they're exacting punishment to make you feel like you can't do your job. I am sure some of you have felt this way and have even been the victims of attempts to bring in other MTs to replace you. That's exactly how I felt today when I got an email today. I thought the manager was a bit harsh, rather than just giving a warning like the email said for the first time the error is made. How do you deal with this? I wish a lot of the times I coul ...

Feeling Used And Abused?
Mar 22, 2012

Does anybody else feel like they are used up and spit out by their employer?  Seems to me that many companies only worry about their administrative staff's quality of life and throw all of us MTs to the wolves when it comes to benefits and wages! ...

NetMed - Bad Feeling
Jun 21, 2012

Just quit this company. Initially had to fax my personal information numerous times because they lost it repeatedly, etc. Only allowed to type 10 reports per day on QA, unable to get off QA, QA editors never able to agree on policies and procedures. Also required to research dozens/hundreds of previous reports (no search engine available) to find information (QA stated they will not fill in blanks), which is frequently incorrect; not even making minimum wage at first. Even their docs are bit ...

Feeling Good, Feeling Very Good A Flo Would Say
Aug 20, 2013

I just now sent my resignation to Nuance effective immediately. I feel great!! I was very happy with them for over 5 years until everything went to heck. Not going to put up with it anymore!! Now I can enjoy retirement without that monkey on my back. ...