A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

my latest gripe - about ros and pe

Posted: Dec 01, 2012

How many times, I mean how many, really, must we stack the subheading to the left, capitalize it, put a colon after it, and remove the word "is" before this stupid speech engine figures out that's how it's supposed to do it, not all in one paragraph?  I mean, it's a client specific, and I am pretty everyone is doing it this way, every time, so don't tell me this is the MTs fault. 

Several of my accounts don't do that, I have to put it in - paragraph form

[ In Reply To ..]
So, and I am sick of switching it back!

My feeling is that if - they are going to

[ In Reply To ..]
use VR for everything, they should make it as simple as possible for VR. For example, I have pretty much stopped spelling out abbreviations in diagnosis that are recognized correctly by VR. This is the new world of ME, so to my mind, the old rules of MT do not apply.

so can it not figure out - from one account to the next?

[ In Reply To ..]
If it can't figure out in the next 100 years that this account wants it stacked and that account wants it paragraph, we are in big trouble.

Why does it allow it? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why can't a program so sophisticated to be called The Best of the Best not have the capability to not stack or to stack? Why? It is supposed to replace a human, so why can't it be set to stack or not to stack?

I know the answer. It is because it cannot ever replace a human and there will always be caveats. A computer is only as smart as the person behind it.

The other issues I have with SR or VR is that it doesn't even recognize the majority of the medical terms dictated and mistakes them for common words. Why does it do that when it was meant for the medical field? It is not updated either, i.e., Pradaxa- never gets it.

I think some responsibility also falls on the dictator. They were probably supposed to say keywords to train it, and they didn't, so now it can't do its job correctly or at least partly correct. Everyone has to be on the same page, and this company is never on the same page. The same rules do not apply to everyone or so it seems.

It's just like the ones on here stating they don't look up cc's. Next thing ya' know, an e-mail goes out that the client is upset with all the missed cc's. Of course, the ones saying they transcribe 4,000 lines an hour doing VR are probably the same jokers not looking up the cc's. The one transcribing 1,000 lines an hour is probably researching all day every single report every single cc. It just doesn't seem right or fair.

I agree with your gripe and my gripe is I find - myself

[ In Reply To ..]
more and more exhausted at the end of my shift after making all these corrections with SR. I drink more coffee with SR than I ever did with straight typing.

so whatever happened to the BOS being - the "standard" on everything?

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought the BOS was the "bible" of transcription and the speech engines should follow the "standards" set forth in such a "miraculous book." oh....that's right! The "book" changes every year depending on how much money they want to make this year from selling it. duh. forgot about that. To heck with client specifics. (j/k)

the BOS does not come out every year - and, the problem really is

[ In Reply To ..]
that every single client wants something different and then doctors within the facility want something different than the client, and we are to do what every single person wants. It would be ideal if we could follow ONE set of guidelines for every facility, every doctor, every company. Those 15 page client profiles are ridiculous.
This is so true. I also think that it is this way - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
sort of on purpose. You mess up one time with a formating issue such as this doctor wants something specific, you get put on full review and lose pay. They get away with paying you less while you're on full review. Their excuse is that it is in the client specs. I had been told to check every single client spec for every single report. I had to read through 15 to 20 pages of literature before transcribing a 1 minute sound file, only to be paid 4 cpl.

This job causes major eye strain as the print is so small on the platform, and it also causes mental anguish because of the multiple e-mails you get telling you how wrong you were and how you should just be more productive.

Slow down, speed up, take your hands off the mouse, don't take breaks, don't answer your phone, don't take too long researching. Please do take breaks, answer the phone if we are calling, please research extensively before leaving a blank.

It goes on and on and on and they talk out of both sides of their mouths. The QA process is laughable. I was over edited so many times, it got to be not so funny anymore.

I also found you need to essentially be a mind reader and a definite self starter. I could not find any instructions on when to leave blanks or when not to. All I heard about was how wrong and how ineffecient I was for not seeing it in the client specs. "I can't stress enough to go over the report multiple times before sending." What? How can I go over a report that pays 4 cpl over and over again when I need to produce 3,000 lines a day? Never mind the fact that 3,000 lines a day only gives me $12.00 an hour. I do not get paid to read 10 e-mails a day on which doctor wants what on which day of the week. I don't get paid to read client specs. There should be one way to do things with speech rec and it would be much easier. They have not even curbed the practice of granting multiple special requests to clients. On any given day, it is put this on hold for that procedure for that doctor and do this or that for that doctor only depending on the type of report. It's mind boggling. Drove me nuts!

Bottom line: They want a whole lot for a little bit of money.
yeah quality over quantity - my foot
[ In Reply To ..]
If it's quality over quantity then we need to be paid by the hour.

just create macros - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I just type them up the way they are supposed to be formatted and save them, take out all that garbage and insert my macro. I'm real sorry if they don't want me to do that, but I gotta make a living here. Even without a macro, it's quicker and less frustrating to take out the PE and ROS and just type them, than to do all that formatting stuff.

Similar Messages:

Gripe, Gripe, Gripe
Oct 18, 2012

Sometimes you just cant be happy.   MTs have always had it made. Now that real work is involved, and you finally need to put in a full 8-hour day for your paycheck, like many Administrators do, the whining begins.    I can work in jammies, not fix my hair, save gas, I can eat/drink/watch TV, not leave home unless I want to run to the local department store or walk the mall for hours.  You could come home and put in a couple hours of work it was great  - not so easy anymo ...

Just Gotta Gripe
Oct 30, 2009

I am just so exasperated right now!  I'm a new MT, been at it a little over 3 months.  I think the company I work for is pretty good.  We have mostly good dictators, good platform, plenty of work, and nice QA and staff.  I type 70 wpm, and I add to my word expander and autocorrect daily.  Our minimal required line count per week is 6,000, and I'm only averaging about 3,500 to 3,800.  I'm putting in 50 hours or a little more and still can ...

Gotta Gripe
Jul 19, 2012

I've got a gripe.  I hope this is not too long but would really like suggestions if any of my fellow MTs have been in this predicament.  If you are QA turned MT, don't bother to reply.  I don't need sarcasm to start my day. The company I worked for went into partnership with another company.  The new company even changed the name of the company and the new partner is the president of the company.  We're supposed to make all complaints to her; however ...

My Most Recent Gripe
Aug 27, 2012

Was recently told by two new physicians to "use my standard."  The standards that were provided were virtually unrecognizable as medical reports.  Even though they were eventually fixed by the QC person, they nevertheless had been produced by someone, somewhere in the first place.  Is this what the ILPs are producing?  And they want us to be 99% accurate?  You would have had to see these "standards" to believe what they looked like.  My unedited work looks better th ...

I Just Have To Gripe. I Work On This Clinic, Sm
Dec 23, 2010

with 1 other girl, and then the QA girl types on this clinic also.  I still have not figured this out.  We keep the work caught up and this QA girl gets on there and types with us when there is nothing to type.  I mean there can be 10 jobs there and she will get on to help us type 10 jobs.  My company makes me type any other clinic that is behind and this being the holiday, we have been given an extra 45-50 jobs to type from other clinics and the QA girl is nowhere to be seen ...

Just A Vent/gripe About Companies And Their Requirements
Jul 24, 2012

I  just had to turn a job down, (after giving it very careful consideration) due to their LPH requirements on VR.  I am in my late 50s, have been doing this for years, mainly straight typing and I also have a slight physical distability, where I am not a "speed typist," but I am accurate.  I  get so frustrated with these companies and the fact that they require "125-150 lph" for straight typing and "200-250 lph " for VR and if you for some unforeseen reason, you can' ...

Latest MD-IT Ad
Jun 27, 2011

MD-IT keeps repeating this same ad out of the Boulder, CO, regional office.  But I understand they have had qualified people apply for this job the regional managers pass them up.  I also heard that MTs tried this account, decided it was too horrible to make any money, and decided not to work for this company on this account.  Anyone else have any valid information?  ...

Latest On SGS
Nov 18, 2011

Well, all the rumors are starting to come to pass with dear SGS (Superior Global Solutions).  I "WAS" in QA until yesterday.  They either fired or demoted 7 of us so far to MT status.  Not saying being an MT is a demotion, but for the sake of telling you about SGS and my experiences with them, we shall call it a demotion.  Back a few months ago they made SURE everyone had signed an "At Will" employment form so they would have all their ducks in a row when all this started to ...

TTS - What's The Latest?
Jan 18, 2013

Wondering what it's like there.  Benefits, work flow?  Thanks ...

What Is The Latest On This Company. I See An Ad For Them...sm
Nov 06, 2009

on another board and wondered if they got their stuff together after purchasing Medware?  TIA for any and all information! ...

DQS 6.1 - Anyone Using The Latest DQS Update?
Jun 08, 2010

Is anyone using the latest DQS update?  I think it's 6.1version.  I've already gone through the training on it but haven't heard when it's going to be started.  Thanks ...

Our Latest 10-K From Medquist. How To
Aug 23, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:wHn1Chp6DzYJ:www.faqs.org/sec-filings/100312/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/+medquist+restructure&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a Our ability to expand our business and properly service our customers depends on our ability to effectively manage our domestic production capacity and our only offshore transcription labor partner (CBay Systems & Services, Inc.), including our ability to recruit, train and retain qualified MTs ...

The Latest On Inscribe Anyone?
Nov 23, 2010

The latest on Inscribe anyone? I am still searching the archives, but anyone who has info please contact. ...

Latest On Transportal? 
May 08, 2011

What is the latest on Transportal?  Do they do a lot of VR, IC and plenty of work?  Thanks for your input. ...

Latest V-Mail
May 08, 2012

My interpretation to the last V-mail is that we are going to get a cut in pay to match the Indians. Yep.  What do you think?  I forget the exact wording, something about uniform salaries across the board. ...

TTD Latest...what A Shock...well, Not Really.
Jun 01, 2012

Seems MTKing who posts here about how she just LOVES LOVES LOVES TTD sucked up enough to get promoted to Lead QA. NOT a surprise. Folks, take heed, some 50 people have gotten cut from TTD in THIS YEAR alone and it's only just now June. Many are owed money.  The owner sends intimidating emails.  The company offers NO training.  They also do not provide any feedback.  Read posts further down and in the archives. Nothing good can come from working for The Transcription Doc ...

Is Is Just Me Or Is The Latest Post Showing From Oct 20? Sm
Oct 23, 2009

I just switched browsers to Mozilla Firefox, as I was having trouble seeing the posts at all.....Does anyone else use Firefox and read the board just fine?  I hope I don't have to switch browers again. ...

Latest Layoffs, Can We Figure Out
Jun 08, 2010

from what areas? SA4/South CCM is the same, but one regional director was changed from a guy to a woman I'm not familiar with. ...

Latest News On Stock And MQ 50.00
Jun 26, 2011

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=MEDQ:US   Sure hope the bigwigs know what their doing for their pay.  ...

Latest Job Posting (excalibur)
Aug 11, 2010

Looks like another recruiter - that same ad was on another MT job site in the last month....wonder if they charge to submit your application also. ...

AAMT Or Whatever Their Latest Abbreviation Is...
Sep 18, 2010

If it is true that our MT corporations are profiting with VR the same as if we were transcribing, well to me that's picking my pocket......So then why isn't AAMT (or whatever) going to bat for us 'editors' and set standards so that companies will pay us our fair share? Just a thought. Wouldn't it be nice if we were told by our companies that from here on in, VR will pay as much as transcribing? pipe dreams huh? ...

I Need The Latest Official Ruling On A-fib!
Mar 25, 2011

I like a-fib, since I don't see a logical reason to capitalize the "A", but maybe there shouldn't be a hyphen?  ...

Latest Keystrokes Email
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, did everyone get the email sent at 5:05 this evening, which was 6:05 my time.  A lot of BS sprinkled with "we love yous" and "by the way, you aren't getting paid until Friday" and "Its all the office manager's fault because I don't take responsibility for my own actions" love note.  "We are in a steady growth mode" and "we had to change pay dates because we can't get our stuff together enough to do invoices on time" and "we are super and you are lucky to w ...

Want To Post My Latest Sage
Feb 20, 2013

if the QA or TCM come on here I am found out...So Ill wait a while..Just a little reminder to keep a paper trail..cause something will bite you in the tail first chance they get... ...

Latest Email From Corporate
Aug 23, 2013

He must have been working late into the evening working on perfecting his email.  So after so proudly revising the out of work policy just 2 weeks ago, it is apparently already outdated. ...

Diskriter Latest Posting
Aug 29, 2014

Line rate of 5.5 for straight typing? You have to be kidding!  Do they seriously think anyone is going to do straight typing for 5.5?  Anyone who seriously considers working for Diskriter needs to do their research on how the company treats employees and their track record for dissatisfied former employees.  Why jump on a sinking ship. ...

When Is The Latest Date We Are Supposed To Get Our
Feb 09, 2015

but after Jan 31st,  shouldn't we have them by end of February at very latest??  And if they don't get them to us on time for whatever lame excuse,  where do we report it?   Our state's labor board, or the state in which they are registered to do business?  ...

According To MM's Paperwork, Their Latest Version Of
Feb 14, 2015

Fluency now works with Windows 8 and 8.1 64-bit.  Has anyone verified this or had any trouble with it?  TIA! ...

Latest Report On CBay Purchase
Feb 07, 2010

Not quite a done deal, but CBay thinks it is.   Wonder where Kumar got $75 million!!!!  We earned it for him. http://www.bloombergutv.com/industry-news/pharma-biotech-industry-news/44368/consolidation-on-cards--cbay.html ...

Did Everyone Get The Latest Email About DocQ 5.16 Update?
Mar 03, 2010

Talk about micromanage!  Are you kidding me?  We will be locked out if we don't work our exact shift?  There has to be a 15-30 minute grace period.  I am surprised that there are not a flood of posts about this on this forum already.    I about fell off my chair when I read this.  I am very good about working my shift, but sometimes start 10-15 min early or 10-15 min late.  Gosh, sometimes get stuck on the potty in the morning for a few extra m ...