A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NJA and Work Availability. Different for each account? - Am I paying to work for here? CaliMT

Posted: Nov 24, 2012

I'm so mixed up. What I read here about no jobs available and what we are being  required to do is much different. 

Originally we were told to check for work every 30 minutes and could enter 30 min of work availability, but had to stay all shift.   The following day after doing this we get an email that says that was wrong and we can only have 15 min work availability and the time cards would be corrected to take out that extra 15 min originally instructed to include. 

Now the policy is 15 min job availability only and then check for work throughout shift and can't just get up and leave.  Only after the shift is over can we put in for PTO, excused absence, or make up the time to cover the time we have to sit without work. 

I'm from California and the policy that was sent says MTs in certain states, California being one of them are to include their state and number of hours without work. 

If I have to sit for my shift watching for work and then can only take PTO after 8 hour shift to cover it, doesn't that equate to me paying to work here?   

sm - lil

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to take it over their head if that is what they are telling you. You only wait 15 minutes and if you don't get more work then you can take 1 of the options, BUT you do not have to keep checking back your shift. You just take off for the day if that is what you choose to do! These CCM's are full of bull and will try to get away with anything to keep their bonus!

I thought if you were in California, they had to - pay you minimum of 4 hours

[ In Reply To ..]
They CANNOT require you to keep checking back every 30 minutes unless they are PAYING you to check back. You only have to wait 15 minutes of no work, then put in a ticket in Remedy and state what you want, either PTO, make up time, or released from work. It is that simple and I would keep those emails from your supervisor and take it above their head. They cannot change the rules in different regions. It is a company policy.

California NJA policy is in the HR Policy for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Work Availability in the message below - it's on MM intranet.

California Industrial Wage Commission law regarding Reporting Time Pay - MilspMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You can read up on California law regarding Reporting Time Pay here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_reportingtimepay.htm

Also, you can read the Industrial Welfare Commission wage order #4 here: http://www.dir.ca.gov/IWC/IWCArticle4.pdf

Section 5 covers Reporting Time Pay. Of note in the order, "This order shall apply to all persons employed in professional, technical, clerical, mechanical, and similar occupations whether paid on a time, piece rate, commission, or other basis,..."

Piece rate is included in this order, so working production does not make MTs exempt.
What about MTs in other states not listed? - Are we out of luck? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, we are out of luck. Only get 15 minutes of - minimum wage in your state
[ In Reply To ..]
That is it.

CA NJA policy - fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
In the state of California, they must pay you half of your shift. If you are scheduled to work 8 hours and you log in and there is NJA,you get paid for four hours at your benefit rate but if you are scheduled to work 8 hours and you work five and then run out of work, you don't get paid any more money since you already worked half your shift.

Don't get that option of deciding to not work - at Nuance. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Then do they pay you an hourly rate to keep checking - back when no work?
[ In Reply To ..]
If not, that needs to be addressed! Its illegal not to pay you if you have to remain on the job.
Then do they pay you... - happy at MM
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, while you work at home, that eases some of the labor laws that pertain to people that commute to work as opposed to those that work from home -
Working at home does not ease the labor laws. If - you are employee status no difference.
[ In Reply To ..]
Whoever told you that is full of it.
Working at home... - Happy at MM
[ In Reply To ..]
In WA State, if you work at home for an outsourcing company, there is no penalty against the company if they run out of work and you have to sit in front of the monitor for 12 hours to get an 8 hour shift in - been there, done that and I am NOT full of it.

Log onto MM intranet and go to Departments, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Human Resources, Policies, and in lower right-hand column there is a section for HR Policies for MTs. Look in there for Work Availability Policy. Explains what to do. Only need to wait until 15 minutes is accumulated, either all at once or throughout a shift.

see message - buddymt

[ In Reply To ..]
All time reflected below shall be compensated at the minimum wage rate for Employees who reside in Massachusetts, New York or the District of Columbia. Employees who reside in California, New Jersey, Rhode Island or New Hampshire shall be compensated at their Benefit Rate. The time spent in âWork Availability Issue Resolutionâ shall be included in the hours below:
ï California: The Employee shall be paid for half the usual or scheduled dayâs work, but in no event for less than two (2) hours nor more than four (4) hours

Thank you. Interesting as I've never been paid according - to this during NJA.

[ In Reply To ..]
Aren't CCMs or TSMs trained in correct procedures, timecards, etc? This is really discouraging knowing now how many hours I've lost out on during NJA.
This is exacctly why another law suit needs to be brought up - I also lost a ton of hours due to
[ In Reply To ..]
My CCM not entering it correctly because she gets a tongue lashing from upper management when there are too many people with NJA. For 2 years I am missing my NJA pay and I had a LOT over that time.
didn't this come up in your training? - buddymt
[ In Reply To ..]
I remember we had to download this info to our computers. I have all this in a file on my desktop from training and updates. It was probably the trainer when I started working for MQ that told us to do this and of course there have been very many different trainers and CCMs/TSMs through the years.
We didn't have Medquist training. We were a buy out and - I guess still our own group.
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know. We were sold this merger as it would be better as far as benefits and opportunities but obviously those benefits and opportunities don't apply to us.

I think we are in same region. Emailed HR with no reply. - My next contact is dept of labor.

[ In Reply To ..]
Let them explain to them why it's ok to require employees to sit through their shift uncompensated to monitor their system while they party and enjoy their holiday. I'm also in California and interested in finding out about the required pay someone mentions below. This is MModal's fault since they put these TSMs in place who obviously have no training on company rules and protocol.

I can't believe they didn't give buyouts - buddymt

[ In Reply To ..]
any training. That is just not right. Sorry about that.

California MTs - MModal MT

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of MTSOs don't hire California MTs and this is probably one of the reasons. I'd say proceed with caution because the last 2 companies I worked for didn't hire employees in California and a few other states. I just would hate to see you out of a job if MModal decides it's not worth the hassle to employ CA MTs.

Similar Messages:

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

ExecuScribe Availability, Pay, Etc..
Oct 11, 2011

Any current info on this company as of 2011, as in work availability, pay, etc..   I can't find them listed on the BBB's website and that concerns me.  Is there another way to check on a company to see if they're legit? ...

How Do You Check Job Availability
Feb 03, 2013

How do you check job availability? Thank you so much! ...

Work Availability
Sep 06, 2013

I am in California but as I understood the law, if they REQUIRE you to return to work and they still cannot provide work, they are REQUIRED to pay you work availability again.  Isn't that true?  Also I have only seen any of this in emails.  Why hasn't the policy officially been changed yet.  Working on researching a complaint with the labor board.  This is BS. ...

Do We Do Work Availability?
Sep 26, 2014

s ...

VR Rates And Work Availability
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the following companies pay for VR?  I would also really like to know if anyone has any problems with no work available, trouble meeting quotas, "funny" line counts, etc. I am job shopping and this is my short list of companies.  (Though I am really looking at Webmedx)  1.  Webmedx 2.  Diskriter. 3.  Precyse. 4.   Proscript. Thank in advance for any information you are wiling to share! ...

Curious About Something,,availability Of Work
Dec 31, 2012

Those of you with limited work, I mean really low line counts..What tier are you?  Im a 3 and I rarely run out of work..Wondering if they are limiting based on experience? Not that that is right, the whole thing just makes no sense ...

Work Availability E-mail
Jan 20, 2014

Anyone else get this e-mail.  WOW.  Unbelievable.  In part: . . . there are 2 options for when we have NJA/WA   1.  Make up time the same day NJA occurs.  If you can't get in all time throughout the day to contact  TSM to make up additional time when slots are available.  DO NOT work outside your hours on any other day without permission from TSM.   2.  PTO. There is no excused absence to be used for time not able to get in.  . . .& ...

Work Availability Controlled By Schools?
Aug 26, 2010

All summer, my work has been slowly but steadily drying up.   "NJA" pops up so often, my PC screen is now starting to show those letters in that spot, even when I'm not logged on.  When your work gets slow, and you contact your company to inquire about it, don't you just WONDER how our workflow could possibly be tied-in with your local educational system?  I know I sure do. May 2010:   Reason for NJA?   "School is almost over." Early June 2010 ...

How Do You Figure Your Work Availability Time?
Nov 23, 2012

Like say you wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, etc., till you have accumulated 15 minutes, but then how do you show it on the clock? Or do you restart the clock each time a job comes in? ...

I Am Thinking Of Clocking In Under Work Availability While
Apr 25, 2013

If I am sitting at my computer waiting for jobs to come in every 5-13 minutes, I should be paid. I should not have to be penalized by an adverse effect on my line count if I were to stay clocked in as production. Waiting for jobs while clocked out is still being on the job if you are signed into Fluency. So, the way I figure, you are still working, but off the clock. Plus, as proof that you are working off the clock, your Fluency log in time will be greater than your clocked in time. ...

How Do We Enter Tech DT - Under Work Availability?
May 18, 2015

x ...

I Am So Sick Of Bouncing Around From Account To Account
Nov 07, 2012

What a flippin joke. Didnt Amy say she was going to keep us in 1 account????   OMG, I have done evey account in my BOB this morning as well as some other Bob. I cant keep my head on straight anymore. It is spinning like a top. My production is down to minimum and I am at risk of being fired for not meeting production because some idiot decides to open the cesspool!   GO CCMs! GET YOUR 100% TAT... SCREW THE REST OF US. ...

Don't Forget, You Will Be QA'd On Each Account, That Could Account
Jun 08, 2015

.... I read notes below to this effect. Oh, and don't forget to NOT count QC lines and scores when you calculate your QA score on FIESA.   ...or just ignore it altogether.    ...

New Account Help
Oct 14, 2009

So, I am trying to research per line rates in my area, and no one seems willing to open up about their rates. I have spoken with one woman from a local company who told me to give it up as I more than likely will never land an account and work for other established companies, also stating that I am not hiring right now, but you are more than welcome to submit your information. I replied stating to her that I am not a newbie as you say, I have been in this field since 2007, and wish to acquire my ...

I'm Used To Doing Ops, But I'm On An Account Now With Only
Oct 19, 2009

Once i get used to the dictators and names, is it possible to reach the same production as when I was doing ops?  I have access to prior reports, so that's helpful. I know I need to tweak my glossary to include more non-op terms.  Any other productivity tips to make a non-op account super productive? ...

Something Is Up With My Account At MDI
Nov 24, 2009

I am not sure if this is going on with your accounts, but I have noticed on my primary that there are a lot of old reports in there, from days and days ago.  A few weeks back my team leader said ignore those TAT times because they were pulling old stuff for "training."  It started with DS, and now I notice that there are old H&Ps and Consults in there.  So I am wondering if they are training Transcend employees to do my account, maybe VR, or I guess it could be the hospital tr ...

Looking For Account
May 22, 2011

Did anyone ever contact a hospital after your account was lost to find out where it went and you were still employed with the former MTSO that had the account.  Concerned about doing this if the hospital were to contact the MTSO and still employed there but not overly happy anymore.  I would rather keep this confidential until I at least find out if the new MTSO is even hiring for the account, etc.  ...

Is Anyone Else On A KS Account That Only Gets
Oct 13, 2011

We are supposed to do 12 reports/hour but the work is not there.  I no longer respond to the e-mails where they say they want to help you get more work and not make peanuts.  What joke! Not only that my lead has been on cherry picking when there is hardly any work.    ...

Looking For A New Account ...
Oct 02, 2012

My state medical association publishes a monthly journal with a Classifieds section at the back.  There's a section for Services Available where there are ads for EMR companies, billing services, and a couple of private MT ads. A small ad would cost me about $45/month and it would also appear on the online edition.  I'm just looking for 1 or 2 new clients right now, and thought this might be easier & cheaper than mailing out brochures. Do you think this is a good idea a ...

My Own Account
Nov 28, 2012

I am in discussion with a doctor's office to do their transcription.  This would be the first time I would have my own account.  How do I find out the going rate of transcription in my area?  I would like to be prepared when discussing this with the office.  Thanks in Advance! ...

OOW On NEW Account!
Dec 28, 2012

out of work, AGAIN!!  The other account I had has TONS of work this morning.  I'm about to go back over there and get some lines in!  Why take me off an acct that has TONS of work to an acct that has NO WORK?????? ...

Bye Bye Big Account
Mar 28, 2013

Received email stating that one of my accounts which I was always under the impression was a very LARGE account will no longer be using Nuance.  ...

We Have An Account
Mar 17, 2014

QA & I've noticed the errors that QA finds are getting more petty to the point of ridiculousness just over the last couple of weeks.  "The" when I heard "A" or "A" when I heard "the" - just sheer craziness.  I assume they are gearing up for the 99.7% accuracy rate change.  I figure I'm a goner soon, so I'm just typing my little fingers off in the meantime.  Just my vent ...

My Account
Feb 27, 2015

Give me back my account please! ...

I Am On A New Account.
Mar 13, 2015

I cannot get anyone to answer my e-mails. Due to not answering my questions I will not be working extra.  ...

When Your Account
Apr 16, 2015

is 3 days behind, don't you wonder why accounts you have never heard of are coming into your que?  Not to mention, the accounts that are coming into the que are not out of turn around (i.e., are current almost up to the hour).  ...and did I mention my account is three (3) days behind!  How is this helping anyone? ...

New Account
May 20, 2015

Is anyone working on a new account with the first two initials RG? ...

New Account Advice - Regarding VPN
Oct 15, 2009

I currently provide transcription to various speciality clinics using a call-in system for the dictation, typing in Word and uploading via FTP site.  I was contacted by a hospital to do their transcription.  They asked if my transcriptionists could type in their VPN program.  Can anyone tell me how I would do QA on this then?  This would be a new system to me and I really want the account.  ...

If You've Been Moved To A New Account
Nov 16, 2009

You don't know who the managers are, or even what division is falls under, and the old managers don't have a clue, how does one escalate to find out? MTQuestions? Tossed to the wolves here..but hey hey, I still have work! LOL. Slowly losing my mind on trying to get answers while restructuring in in progress. I've learned too much from the past that patience is not always a virtue. Things get lost in the shuffle. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any suggestions. ...