A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Work Availability - x

Posted: Sep 06, 2013

I am in California but as I understood the law, if they REQUIRE you to return to work and they still cannot provide work, they are REQUIRED to pay you work availability again.  Isn't that true?  Also I have only seen any of this in emails.  Why hasn't the policy officially been changed yet.  Working on researching a complaint with the labor board.  This is BS.

Found it - OP. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
If an employee is required to report to work a second time in any one workday and is furnished less than two hours of work on the second reporting, he or she must be paid for two hours at his or her regular rate of pay.

The policy has been updated - under HR department. - another question though

[ In Reply To ..]
They do, finally, include the states and number of hours to be paid when there is NJA, but it is unclear to me whether the requirement (basically) of make-up can negate the requirement of having to pay the minimum hours or whether us Californians only have to make up the time beyond the 4 hour pay requirement. Although, chosing make up time not sitting out the rest of the day would probably save the up to 4-hour pay requirement. They have left some loopholes that they probably did not even think about.

California NJA pay, and make up time same day - wonder

[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding make up time during the same day of NJA, it looks like, in California, if you met NJA requirements (6 minutes NJA), and you then made up time the same day, you could be entitled to both NJA pay for the time prior to making up time and for the entire make up time + NJA pay.

"Q. Today I reported to work at my scheduled start time and after working one hour of my regular eight-hour shift my employer sent me home because of lack of work. A few hours later my employer called and said that things had picked up and told me to report to work again that same day, which I did. I then worked an 8-hour shift. Am I entitled to any additional pay?

A. Yes, you are entitled to three hours of reporting time pay. Under the law, an employee who reports to work on time and is later sent home because of lack of work, having worked less than half of his or her regularly scheduled shift, is entitled to be paid for half the usual or scheduled day's work, but in no event for less than two hours nor more than four hours at his or her regular rate of pay. This provision of the law applies even though you were called back to work later that same day and worked a full shift. For this workday, your total compensation is 11 hours of compensation at your regular rate of pay, and one hour of overtime pay, calculated as follows:
8 hours regular rate. One hour worked the first time you reported to work plus the first seven hours worked the second time you reported to work later in the same workday.

3 hours regular rate. This pay represents the reporting time penalty for the first time you reported to work but were provided with less than half your regularly scheduled shift. No reporting time pay is due for the second time you reported to work because you were furnished with more than two hours of work.

1 hour of overtime for the ninth hour actually worked in the workday."

How I see it - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
So say you show up for your shift and get nja for 6 minutes. You then fill out a ticket and can claim 4 hours WA. Now you are required to then make up your remaining 4 hours. You get on later in the day and surprise, surprise nja again. The way I read it, they now owe you another 2 hours WA. This has happened to me multiple times but I had not been required to come back. It was a choice as I could be released from work without pay, so I wasn't OWED anything more. Not the case now.
You are only allowed to file NJA in Remedy once. - according to policy nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I say state law trumps policy and I will file a complaint. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
X
That is certainly true - State trumps policy! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
absolutely correct - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

RE Cali NJA pay - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
The loop hole here though is that you are already home - you weren't "sent" home and you didn't actually have to "drive" to go back to work...
I have vBulletin to return to my desk. That doesn't matter. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I msy leave my home and have to return home. I may have to rearrange my schedule. The point is reporting for work, not the drive.

So that is why I never hear from my TCM when I don't make up my time - ppe

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not going to anyway but I never hear about making up time and now I see why..I live in the state of CA!!!

The work availability as well as most other labor - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
related issues are highly Employee friendly, more in favor of the employer. I am surprised they actually have ANY California employees because of this.

Several employers have "do not apply if you live in California" clause in their ads. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Exactly. And obviously I meant "employEE friendly" not employer friendly... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I'm sure our days are limited as are everyone's probably. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Similar Messages:

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

ExecuScribe Availability, Pay, Etc..
Oct 11, 2011

Any current info on this company as of 2011, as in work availability, pay, etc..   I can't find them listed on the BBB's website and that concerns me.  Is there another way to check on a company to see if they're legit? ...

How Do You Check Job Availability
Feb 03, 2013

How do you check job availability? Thank you so much! ...

Do We Do Work Availability?
Sep 26, 2014

s ...

VR Rates And Work Availability
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the following companies pay for VR?  I would also really like to know if anyone has any problems with no work available, trouble meeting quotas, "funny" line counts, etc. I am job shopping and this is my short list of companies.  (Though I am really looking at Webmedx)  1.  Webmedx 2.  Diskriter. 3.  Precyse. 4.   Proscript. Thank in advance for any information you are wiling to share! ...

NJA And Work Availability. Different For Each Account?
Nov 24, 2012

I'm so mixed up. What I read here about no jobs available and what we are being  required to do is much different.  Originally we were told to check for work every 30 minutes and could enter 30 min of work availability, but had to stay all shift.   The following day after doing this we get an email that says that was wrong and we can only have 15 min work availability and the time cards would be corrected to take out that extra 15 min originally instructed to include.&n ...

Curious About Something,,availability Of Work
Dec 31, 2012

Those of you with limited work, I mean really low line counts..What tier are you?  Im a 3 and I rarely run out of work..Wondering if they are limiting based on experience? Not that that is right, the whole thing just makes no sense ...

Work Availability E-mail
Jan 20, 2014

Anyone else get this e-mail.  WOW.  Unbelievable.  In part: . . . there are 2 options for when we have NJA/WA   1.  Make up time the same day NJA occurs.  If you can't get in all time throughout the day to contact  TSM to make up additional time when slots are available.  DO NOT work outside your hours on any other day without permission from TSM.   2.  PTO. There is no excused absence to be used for time not able to get in.  . . .& ...

Work Availability Controlled By Schools?
Aug 26, 2010

All summer, my work has been slowly but steadily drying up.   "NJA" pops up so often, my PC screen is now starting to show those letters in that spot, even when I'm not logged on.  When your work gets slow, and you contact your company to inquire about it, don't you just WONDER how our workflow could possibly be tied-in with your local educational system?  I know I sure do. May 2010:   Reason for NJA?   "School is almost over." Early June 2010 ...

How Do You Figure Your Work Availability Time?
Nov 23, 2012

Like say you wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, etc., till you have accumulated 15 minutes, but then how do you show it on the clock? Or do you restart the clock each time a job comes in? ...

I Am Thinking Of Clocking In Under Work Availability While
Apr 25, 2013

If I am sitting at my computer waiting for jobs to come in every 5-13 minutes, I should be paid. I should not have to be penalized by an adverse effect on my line count if I were to stay clocked in as production. Waiting for jobs while clocked out is still being on the job if you are signed into Fluency. So, the way I figure, you are still working, but off the clock. Plus, as proof that you are working off the clock, your Fluency log in time will be greater than your clocked in time. ...

How Do We Enter Tech DT - Under Work Availability?
May 18, 2015

x ...