A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My Own Personal Survey - Alias

Posted: Feb 07, 2012

I was just watching the news, and the all the job openings with average annual income. What I would like to know is this: Is any MT at MM or any other MTSO able to make a living wage? Please be honest. I for one am not evening breaking $1000 a month anymore, and at one time I was able to make at least $36,000 a year. Thanks

survey - will remain anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I gross in the range of 1100 to 1600 a month here, and I average 32 hours a week. My spouse makes the income... Thank goodness.

same boat - staying anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My spouse also makes the majority of the money and carries the insurance since MM went to the worst possible insurance they could find. I work harder now than I ever have and make sure I punch out even to use the bathroom. I gross in the range of 2300-2600 a month and work 40 a week.

2300 to 2600?? I WISH I could average that. You must either average 2000 LP day - or still do a lot of straight typing.

[ In Reply To ..]
either way...I see you work really hard to make it.
all ASR - will remain anon
[ In Reply To ..]
My goal is to average 250-300 per hour. Everyone here will tell you the same thing- keyboard shortcuts, do whatever you can to keep the pedal down and voice moving (work ahead and format paragraphs and delete double words), use your expansions and just staying focused. Like I said, I also punch out every time I get up from the computer too to make sure I get an accurate line count. I also keep close tabs on my line counts and know exactly where I am for each shift. I also work some hours where I get more money for the shift differential. Doable.
Well..I very much admire your focus. That is my problem - I am easily distracted...
[ In Reply To ..]
and I probably do not get an accurate line count with all the up and down, etc., so in that regard I have no one but myself to blame. But just think with your excellent work habit how much money you would be making if they paid a decent wage! You would be raking it in and deservedly so!!
I tried to increase my line count - fedup2
[ In Reply To ..]
I usually average between 1100 and 1200 per month, but in the early parts of November and December, I made a real effort to increase my line counts. I actually got to 250 LPH and was expecting more, but I didn't even get to $700 a check. Now in January, I got moved off an account I worked on for many years to a pool of 6 hospitals, so needless to say, my line counts have gone down again. I keep trying until I can get out, got a plan, tired of working for peanuts.
Once again I do not think your ASR is the norm. - I watched my reports today
[ In Reply To ..]
very closely and there were not but a few lines that required no editing; most required many edits, and the ASR is getting worse by the day. There is just no way in the world to make any money on my account. I am very resourceful, and if there was a way, I would do it.
could be - will remain anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you are saying, some accounts/dictators are better than others. However, I still get through most reports faster without retyping. I made a decision awhile back to stop training ASR and instead focus on making money. I figure I could either complain about ASR or embrace it and find all the tricks I can to make some money. I set the tools/options to what I need, not what they tell me. Do I need that bouncing yellow ball? No. Too distracting. Do I need all the skip/redundant markers in there? No. Because we were told awhile back to not use them because it was messing up the speech engine. I just focus on editing. Highlight and delete or type a few words. If it puts a skip marker in I never see it and if it doesn't I don't worry about it. I keep the pedal down and keep moving and I use all the keyboard shortcuts I can so my hands never leave the keyboard. I try to get through the ADT as quick as possible with Ctrl-S and Ctrl-O and all the other keys available and then highlight and delete all the ADT garbage in the report. Ctrl-M to cut out the lags where the doc is not talking. I work ahead as best I can formatting and making lists. I also make expansions as best I can for PE and ROS and any doc I have to look up in the repository because it is easier to edit my expansions than any nonsense that ASR spits out. It is a work in progress because I am always finding ways to get through the reports as efficiently as possible.
Well I too make more than minimum wage, but - anon as well
[ In Reply To ..]
nothing near the $40k I used to make and some say they still make, and it isn't because I am stupid and don't know the "shortcuts." It is because I am correcting every other word in the most useless ASR around.
told not to use skip/redundant markers? - missindale
[ In Reply To ..]
Messing up the speech engine? When were you told that? I've never heard that.
awhile back - will remain anon
[ In Reply To ..]
There was a glitch awhile ago where spaces weren't being added after the skip markers so they were showing up in the final reports and the clients were mad. So they made us go in and fix it so that no markers were showing until they fixed the glitch. Maybe they told us they had the glitch fixed and told us to put them back in, maybe they didn't, hard to remember since they delete the emails every 6 months. In the meanwhile I had gotten so used to not having them there I kept them off. It doesn't mean they are not there, I just don't see them. So I don't worry about did I put a space in or did I backspace and a marker got added or not. I just edit.
My ASR is so bad - old and burned out
[ In Reply To ..]
That when I start a report I can hardly find my place. You are correct, it gets worse every day.

not even close to a living wage - I had to humiliate myself and move back home

[ In Reply To ..]
I not only was able to easily support myself, but help out several of my family members over the course of the years who needed to a place to stay. I am a spinster, childless and only have myself to rely on. Since my salary has been slashed by more than 50% I do not make enough to sustain a simple, modest household on my own. I had to make the humiliating move back home so I can figure out what I am going to do with over 20 years experience in a profession that is still very active, but looks at me as nothing by a cumbersome typist that really want to get rid of.

I also used to be very generous, helped my children and - gave to charities.

[ In Reply To ..]
Now I don't even have a car. It is very hard to work so hard for 25 years, be very good at your profession, and not make enough to support yourself.
Wages - Nobody
[ In Reply To ..]
I am also a grandma and I am in the same boat. I used to be able to help my daughter and grandkids, but not so much now.

made $28K last year/Not at BM*Modal, though - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
If you consider that a living wage in this day and age. I live Spartan-like. No cable TV, no cell phone, no car. Just the bare basics, but I like it that way.

BM*Modal... - wish I thought of that

[ In Reply To ..]
Funniest thing I ever heard!

feel free to "spread it around"..... - and fertilize your posts with it.

[ In Reply To ..]

salary - benfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I went part-time when we got bought and all the incentives/bonus/differentials/internet reimbursement were taken away and when they cut pay per line. The wind was taken out of my sails, so to speak. I stayed due to child rearing, but now they are gone off to college and I am not having any luck with job search. Feel like I am stuck, but I never will go back full time for this company, nor do I work "extra" for them. I have a hubby who makes the rest and I cannot even break 1000 dollars a month anymore at 30 hours a week. Yes, I used to make more than double without bonus, incentives, etc., but they really help me motivate. None now.

$21k last year, full time, working harder than ever - before

[ In Reply To ..]
I cried when I saw my last pay stub for the year.

Same here, barely clear $650 per payperiod now. - Fossil

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Years ago I could make 30K in my sleep basically, not anymore.. - tired

[ In Reply To ..]
x

nearly fainted when I saw my W2 - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
$29500. About 60% what I made back in the day. Working as hard as ever.

Company Should be Ashamed - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I guess that question was answered. You know, I was watching Family Feud a couple of months back, and one of the families had a member who owned an MTSO in Florida. When Steve Harvey asked him what he did for a living, he was actually embarrassed and hesitant to admit that he owned an MTSO.

That being said, I would be ashamed to the very core of my soul to know that I owned a money-making company, enough so that I myself was making hundreds of thousands of dollars, not to mention the other upper management people that are reaping the benefits, and not even provide the majority of your employees in the U.S. with a living wage, and knowing that perhaps I helped place them on government assistance.

Here this Vern and anyone else at MM, who is reaping the benefits from this company, there are very few of us that resent your accomplishments, and I'm not being sarcastic about that. I for one am sure you've worked hard to get to this place in your life. Kudos to you!! I do have one question for you, though, how easy is it for you to lay your head down on that pillow of yours at night and have a good night's sleep? As a human being walking around here on this earth with the rest of us, my prayer for you is that you have not become so corrupt and greedy that you cannot see what you're doing to the U.S. employees of this company. If you see this or hear of it, yes, you may laugh in the company of everyone else standing around reading this, but I pray that when you're alone, your conscience finally convicts you enough to JUST DO THE RIGHT THING!!! It's really not that hard.

what makes you think vern can change things - bootleger

[ In Reply To ..]
He does not own this company. Kumar does. He calls the shots. He is an Indian and only cares for putting money in his pockets and keeping the money in India. Vern's job is to keep the clients happy until MModals point and click program is forced on all clients, putting us out of a job. Vern does not care if we are hungry, if we need this job, if we have a roof over our heads. All he cares about is doing the job that pays his bills until the floor drops from under him as well.

Cold hard truth (for me anyway) - fedup2

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted above about trying to increase my lines. After sleeping on it, I have come to realize that no matter how hard I try to increase my line count, it just does not matter. If I can average 250 LPH per pay period and still not even get $700, what's the point? While others like the above poster making over 2000 a month doing 250 to 300 LPH, what does that say? Are we doing the same work? How do they determine our line rates? experience? expertise? difficulty of work? accuracy? I applaud the above poster (anon) for being industrious and using shortcuts and making as much as possible. But what about the rest of us making minimum wage? Where is the incentive for me to even try harder? Has anyone gotten a raise recently? I am just so discouraged, I cannot get away from this job soon enough. I stayed as long as I have because I liked my primary and was loyal to them. The work is still in my BOB, just someone else is doing it and I am doing harder work for the same pay. Sorry for whining, just fed up.

Similar Messages:

EMR - My Personal Experience
Nov 02, 2009

I have been an IC for past 13 years with all local physician office accounts. As of July this year, I now have only one left due to the use of the EMR. While those of you are saying that EMR will not phase out transcriptionist..well that may be so, but in my experience it has already phased me out. The doctors have sent absolutely no further dictation since they began using this and they told me they do not plan to. So, I am now out of a job that I really depended on. Just giving my perspective. ...

My Personal Best Links For MT
Oct 13, 2012

LAB VALUES:   http://musom.marshall.edu/usmle/usmlelabvalues.htm CHEMO DRUGS:  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/default.aspx NATIONAL PROVIDER SEARCH: http://nynpi.com/ DRUGS: https://online.epocrates.com/  (type your drug in the box. No need to register) BACTERIA:  http://www.thegreatdictator.com/bacteria/ GENERAL MEDICAL REFERENCE:  http://www.fpnotebook.com/index.htm AIDS MEDS: http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml I hope this helps ...

Personal Email
Aug 15, 2014

I'm just warning everybody that I received a "sales ad" for some pharmaceuticals in my personal email, with a return email address that specifically stated it was through [MTStars]****@****. so someone got my personal email address from this board, from someone on HERE, and not just by responding to a post, and sent me a link to selling medications. I never respond to any posting here through email, so no one has access to my email address except MTStars themselves. I did report it to MT ...

Personal Study Area
Dec 23, 2011

I am getting ready to enroll this week with Andrews for medical coding, and am really looking forward to this new challenge and learning opportunity!!  After 30 years as a state employee, I'm actually switching careers. With that being said, I was just interested to find out "where" people like to study in their homes when studying 4-5 hours a night and working assignments.  Do you sit at a desk with the computer in front of you, or do you use the dining room table, a comfortable ...

Even With My Issues I Have Going On In My Personal Life
Sep 12, 2012

I am still getting out of this biz and going back to school.  I have panic with agoraphobia, but I cannot keep waiting for my SSI to be approved.  I have already been denied once.  The therapist I am seeing gave me hope and for that I am very thankful!  I found out I can go to a 2-year school and have my bills taken care of.  Thank God for that! ...

Charging On Personal Accts
May 29, 2013

Okay, I am still a bit confused.  I admit I have been spoiled by being an IC for years.  I have a chance to pick up a couple of side accounts, but after talking to them they just think they can dictate into something at my home and I will magically be able to hear their dictation. I am totally not well versed with all these computer programs.  Can someone explain to me whether it would be worth getting some kind of program to be able to do this?  It seems costly to be able to ...

No Matter What Your Personal Feelings Are
Mar 11, 2014

Okay you hate MM and you think this is just another trick they are pulling.  Then don't apply for the coding training.  But please do not discourage other people from going for it.  This could turn out to be a great opportunity for them. ...

So What Happens If You Have A Personal/family Emergency ..... Sm
Jul 08, 2014

and have to take time off at the last minute? And have no PTO time? Will I be fired? ...

Has Anyone Refused To Put LANDesk On Their Personal PC & What
Oct 11, 2014

x ...

Personal Stand: MT And ME Line Rates (sm)
Nov 09, 2009

I have decided I will not accept any MT transcription rates lower than 9 cpl (in an employee position) or 11 cpl (in an IC position).  For medical editing, I'm not going to work for lower than 50% of the transcription rate.  For me, it will just not be worth it to do it for less.  I am willing to go work inhouse and even do other work rather than to accept line rates lower than this.  I see one keeps putting up the same ad with 8 cpl for MT work and 3 cpl for editing a ...

I WANT MY PERSONAL HIPAA INFO PUBLIC
Aug 23, 2012

When is it that our private information is so sacred.  How about posting online all my ailments.  Does it really matter?  Is it not coincidental that AAMT in their day, and others wanting $$, happened to push HIPAA through at a time when no one really cared?  It is a scam, just a department builder of jobs.  When is it that our ailments are so secret?  ...

Personal Request To Those Needing Word Help...
Nov 11, 2012

I understand you're worried about posting too much information, and that's a good thing, but we really do need a little more information than simply the s/l word/term you're having trouble with. If you feel comfortable giving the sentence, that's great.  If not, then maybe some context like whether the term is an instrument, a body part, a medication, or a disease, the report type (H&P, op, etc.) , what part of the body it's pertaining to, whethe ...

Personal Accounts And Amount To Charge?
May 27, 2013

Just wondering......I am an IC right now, but I have the opportunity to pick up some extra work from my own personal physician.  He was asking if I could type some of his more complicated PFT reports that he does not want to do on the EMR program they have.  I have not done any personal account work for a very very long time.  Back when I had accounts....we would go pick up the cassette, print out the stuff and take it back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any person ...

My Personal Favorite Is The One That Starts Sure Don't Mean To Scare You
Sep 24, 2014

No conscience, this LG, hired to slash, and slash she is good at! l shudder to recount all the I.D. numbers I've seen come and go from her matrices. If you were just switched to one of her accounts, beware, there is only one reason for that! She is on the AB (COM) team last I knew.  ...

Can We All Take A Time-out On The Personal And Negative Posts On This Site?
Jan 16, 2012

It's so difficult to continue reading this site when the negativity and personal attacks have become rampant. One has to sift through the garbage to get to any real informative posts and it's getting out of control. Someone is upset about the negative posts and then she goes on a tirade of name calling directed at the negative poster, and thus becomes an even bigger looking jerk in the process. I don't know what the answer is...maybe we can try to concentrate on the post rather t ...

Today I've Decided On A Personal Protest Step To Help Myself.
May 01, 2012

My company has always invited us to create and store template dictations for common use by everyone. I've made many and been happy to share, and since they're good quality they're used by many, even some dictators to set up their own formal templates. It's always pleased me to be a team player, but, let's face it, this is only one more thing that allows my company to hire less skilled people and lower the line rates it pays me.  Just BTW, I figure it costs me proba ...

Poll: Is Your Work PC Your Own Personal PC Or Company-owned?
Jul 17, 2012

Click Like for yes, it is company-owned (and covered if it crashes, i.e., money does not have to come out of your pocket)   Click Dislike for no, it is your own personal PC (and not covered if it crashes, you get no money to cover it and have to shell out $500 for a new PC). ...

Major Errors Today - 5 In 1 Hour A Personal Best!
Jul 31, 2013

x ...

I Need Help Transferring My Esp From Word Client To My Personal Computer
Jul 13, 2014

Hi: I need to move my expanded phrases and sentences from word client to my personal computer. I want to put them in autocorrect on Microsoft 2007. I do not know how to do this. I don't see much online about import/export from word client to auto correct. If anyone knows of a converting program or how to do it step by step, please let me know. Thanks for your help.   Take Care, Jay ...

Can We Use Our Personal Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard And Mouse With MQs Computer?nm
Feb 20, 2011

nm ...

Stop The Accusations And Personal Attacks. SM
Jan 25, 2010

If you love VR work and do well with it, great.  However, you must allow those who are not having such success with it to have their own threads and discussions without interrupting.  If you hate VR work and think it is the demise of this career, great.  However, you must allow those who are successful with it to have their own threads and discussions without interrupting. For the threads where someone is asking for assistance with VR, wanting to be more successful, asking for t ...

OOW Survey
Feb 02, 2011

I am interested in learning how many currently practicing MTs struggle to get their lines in due to their being "no work available."  Do you find yourself out of work and having to try to make up lines outside your usual schedule? Only occasionally? Often? Every day? Seldom? Never happens?   Thanks everyone!Mary     Optional data: ...

Survey Says . . . .
Apr 03, 2011

to spell the abbreviation of subcutaneous?   is is subcu or subcut?  i have this argument every time with QA.  could i get someone to help me please?  thanks much in advance!!!!   ...

Oh Man... New Survey
Dec 05, 2011

If people were sincerely honest, it wouldnt change anything! ...

The Survey
Dec 06, 2011

Just read through the survey without answering the questions.  Waste of time!  No matter how many of us answer it and regardless of what we say, after it is all over they will tell us that MQ employees love the company.  This is just a way to try to placate us and make us think that our opinions count.  You can all take turns flogging me if I'm wrong. ...

My Take On The SURVEY.....
Dec 06, 2011

I am an MT who has been around for 14 years with this company and I have my gripes like all the rest of you.  I took the survey and stuck it to them when it mattered.  For example, when they ask if compensation encourages people to do their best, the obvious answer is "strongly disagree" right?  When they ask if compensation is clearly tied to performance....again "strongly disagree."  Whether our answers matter or not, it's our opportunity to vent our frustrations with ...

To Those Who Did Not Do The Survey
Dec 16, 2011

I had so much fun using words like despicable and abomination that I just couldn't help myself and filled it out 3 times.  I expect when all is said and done they will tell us that the vast majority of responses were positive and almost everyone loves the company but at least I had a few minutes of sheer enjoyment.  ...

Mq Survey
Dec 27, 2011

Wonder when we'll see the results of the survey!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  Ya, right!  As if they would be truthful about it anyway! ...

And The SURVEY SAYS!
Sep 11, 2012

That the enhanced compensation is in place, we have been BOOSTED and we are one big happy globally rebranded party! Whoo-hoo! ...

And The Survey Says . . .
May 06, 2013

Like the opinion of a lowly MT/ME even matters. They are going to do what they want regardless of our "opinions." ...