A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Personal stand: MT and ME line rates (sm) - Sick and Tired MT

Posted: Nov 09, 2009

I have decided I will not accept any MT transcription rates lower than 9 cpl (in an employee position) or 11 cpl (in an IC position).  For medical editing, I'm not going to work for lower than 50% of the transcription rate. 

For me, it will just not be worth it to do it for less.  I am willing to go work inhouse and even do other work rather than to accept line rates lower than this. 

I see one keeps putting up the same ad with 8 cpl for MT work and 3 cpl for editing and it has a "no newbies" statement.  Well, they can keep advertising for all I care - I'm not working for that. 

Everyone have a nice evening.

Sick and Tired MT

Sick and tired did you see.. - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, think you are sick and tired now, did you check out the new job posting on the job seeker's board....Synernet? OMG! Only 6 to 7 cpl.....radiology and acute care. Talk about sweat shop wages...

sicker and tired - old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too just saw the ad after just getting done with a very hard day and struggling for 10 hours to meet my quota. I felt like crying when I saw this ad.

Are you doing straight, VR or combo and what - L

[ In Reply To ..]
is your quota for the day. You had to work 10 hours to make it? Did you do other things between all those hours or was that straight through? I hope you are racking up the $$$$ like that.

Me too! - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not know whether to laugh or cry! Shame on them..... Sorry you had such a rough day. I hope it gets better for you. Time for a hot bath and some chocolate.

Sick and Tired MT - fatcat

[ In Reply To ..]
Sick and Tired, I support you. I took the same position you are taking and I got a great job with benefits with a medium-sized company that does not offshore. Great cpl, too. (Am not printing the name here because their HR department is small and they do not want to be flooded with resumes.) As to the chintzy companies who offer 7 and 8 cpl, all I have to say to them is: PAY PEANUTS, GET MONKEYS!

Well shove a Bananna in my mouth - And call me Monkey.

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad some are taking a stand. That is great for you that you can do that and it may actually free up more job opportunities. As for me, I just applied for that job so I guess I will be the "Monkey" you are refering to. It is ok to have standards but does it make you feel better to try and bring others down just to lift you up. I am sure you were a monkey at one time. If not, you are very blessed.

To banana mouth: Get a grip... Be thankful others - have that opportunity.

[ In Reply To ..]
That opportunity may come for you too, and when it does don't look down on others. I've been in this long enough to know some people just luck up, that's all it is. When I was struggling to make ends, I went to work at a local heart center. One girl hired on there same as me and she was working full time there and making $30,000+ working part-time elsewhere. Some people just get the breaks, but that doesn't mean God loves you any less. Keep looking and your opportunity will come. Just don't neglect it when it does.
I think you mistook my post. - Simply
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how you would think i am looking down on anyone considering my post was in reply to someone who is Obviously looking down on someone by stating that "Paying bananna's wil get you Monkeys". That, point blank, is stating that if you pay cheap you get a crappy employee. I have a grip and I am sorry that you missed the meaning in y post.
Monkey - fatcat
[ In Reply To ..]
There is an old--and true--saying: The harder I work, the luckier I get.
Quote from Thomas Jefferson! - Stephanie
[ In Reply To ..]
I love little motivational sayings and I just happen to have that one posted on a stickie on my computer monitor.

I find the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
Stephanie - Fatcat
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you. I first learned that quotation (along with the one about monkeys) from the late Vera Pyle, who was truly the finest MT mentor in the world. She would have laughed that someone on this board took offense at the monkeys saying. I suppose it takes a good sense of humor (and the sophistication to recognize irony) to find it funny. Like you, I like sayings that are upbeat and pithy. Too many folks having pity parties these days. Rock on!
Wise quoters - Here it is
[ In Reply To ..]
You call me a monkey then your calling me a monkey. You call me unsophisticated, you're calling me unsophisticated it is pretty simple. You are wise indeed spitting your quotes. If you are so sophicated then riddle me this: If the qoute "Pay with bananna's, you get monkeys" doesn't mean, basically, anyone who pays a low rate will only get in return an inferior employee, then please grace me with what I am getting wrong. Maybe if you can show me the light I will one day be as wise and earn as much money as you do. Until then I am going to keep chasing those bananna's because I am hungry and I GOTZ to eat. LOL
fatcat - Wise quoters
[ In Reply To ..]
In all respectfulness, you need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. All that quotation means (and it is a quotation and not a quote) is that you get what you pay for. It is generally used as an attempt at levity (look it up), which is something we all can use these days. I am not calling you anything. I think you are taking things far too seriously. Chill out, take a deep breath, learn the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE and BANANAS plural and BANANAS possessive (I would not generally point out a grammatical error(s) as it is in extremely bad form to do so, but I think this kind of makes my point--you get what you pay for) and realize that no one is laughing at you. We are (or should all be) working together to help each other. Keep on chasing not bananas, but knowledge and skills. I wish you luck, and I empathize. I gotta eat, too. We live in troubling and terrifying times. It is sad when an attempt at humor is met with personal invective.

The monkey thing reminds me of a rant about pay - uh, call it - dark humor. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
After a while, all you can do is (try to) laugh.

higher pay sometimes means terrible platform. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Good luck finding 11 cpl as a - subcontractor....

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you realize that the company is probably only charging the client 14 cpl if that especially the American companies? We cannot compete with Indian Companies that only need pay their MTs 5 cpl or below.

If you want 11 cpl, why are you not starting your own business? The MTSO you are requiring the high line rate from is the contractor. You are the subcontractor. Everyone gets a cut. Do you utilize QA? If so, they also need to be paid. If you are requiring 11 cpl, the MTSO you are subbing for might as well just hand you the account for the administrative end of things as well.

Oh wait, you want to just transcribe in a platform for top dollar with no bothers?

I'm glad you're taking a stand, but you'll go broke waiting for a high line rate in this atmosphere.

High line rate - Stephanie

[ In Reply To ..]
That is not true. I was working for a hair under 11 cents a line on top of getting a production bonus as an IC for 1 company. I also do separate work as an IC for a small place and get 11 cents a line as an IC. The work was all pretty easy at least given what I was already used to. There are places that will pay MTs well as good MTs are hard to find. The only companies that offer these crap wages are large ones because they are trying to work you to death for 5 pissy days of PTO at 7 cents a line with no production bonus and to top it off their platform probably sucks.

There are IC jobs out there for 11 cpl - JDMX

[ In Reply To ..]
I am IC and make that, plus 12 cpl for STATs. I could not work for less because I have to pay for my own health insurance and have to take out for taxes myself. I don't know any ICs who would work for much less.

There are plenty who pay 11 cpl - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know where you are getting your information about IC pay. I make 11 cpl regular and 12 to 13 cpl for STAT reports depending on if nights or weekends doing IMEs for one company and 11 cpl for another doing acute care with bonus incentive as IC. The trick is NOT to work for a national as they pay squat.

The trick is to work for yourself - and not as a subcontractor.

[ In Reply To ..]
That's great you are getting paid to work nights and weekends and be chained to your desk for STATS. You should be compensated as such. The OP doesn't state that she is willing to do that now does she?

I know that some places pay more, but along with that are set hours and set line quota.

Name me one company that is paying 11 cpl with no quota and no set schedule as an IC, which is what an IC should be doing. Most ICs work like employees in this field and it is abuse whether the pay is high or not.

The trick as you refer to it is to work your own personal accounts and charge what you think is fair and not to work for MTSOs.

Mind giving the names of those Companies paying above 9 cpl - and 11 cpl

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I knew you would get no answer on this - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
Saw this early this morning and thought why is this person asking. These are the phantom jobs that pay this much. No one will tell you where the 9 cpl and 11 cpl are, if they are really there. The jobs here are more in the 8 and 4 cents range.
11 cpl posting - Stephanie
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason for myself why I do not post is because the work I do is for very small companies. Also if I could take the time to call/e-mail places to seek out this work, then if finding higher paying work is so important to someone else, then they need to get off their butt and put in the time and effort to find it. I'm not an HR person and neither are the other posters who said they have positions that pay well.
I work for one. - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
My company pays in this range, but they are fairly small and are not hiring. I give their name only to MTs that I know personally and whose work I am familiar with. I don't think my company hires very often, as they treat their MTs well, pay them decently, and don't offshore or use VR. Why would anybody want to leave? But if I found a good company, then others can, too. It takes time, effort, and some luck to find them, but some good companies are still out there,and I found my company by looking at a lot until I found one that fit.

Yes - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for MAG out of Arizona (IME) and on-call for Silverton Hospital in Oregon. I also work part time for MQ at 10 cpl. I work my own hours as IC (not MQ), no set schedule, just keep within TAT as everywhere else. I used to have my own accounts that paid VERY well, but too much work to handle on my own and too much trouble with employees (hard to find people who are willing to work the hours needed). I am willing to work weekends and nights to support my lifestyle and live well. Those who do not wish to work anything but 9-5 M-F being an MT it is their choice to short themselves the opportunity to make the big bucks, sorry. It took hard work and effort on my part over the years to find these jobs, but they are out there for those willing to work and take the good with the bad.

Similar Messages:

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

Line/pay Rates
Mar 10, 2012

I've been working for Medquist/M-Modal now for 11 years Full-time.  I was one of those grandfathered in that took a pay cut last year as Medquist deemed they would not pay above .10 cents a line.  Now the kicker to all this is I have a friend who I just got hired, and her initial OFFER was to START at .10 cents a line.  I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am appalled at this ... how someone can start at the top wage.   I have already sent an email ex ...

Line Rates As An IC?
Aug 08, 2012

Thinkng of going the IC route, any ideas on line rates as an IC? ...

OTI Line Rates...........UGH!!
Jul 16, 2013

Need I say more? ...

Line Rates Like 3 Cpl For Editing
Jan 04, 2010

I am looking at ads here and keep seeing things like 3 cpl for editing.  Who could work for that rate and why?  These MTSOs really need an awakening.  No one should work for 3 cpl.  Is there anyone who does editing for that kind of rate and actually earns a living?  I say more MTs need to stand up for themselves and say no to this.  Just sayin'.   ...

Transcend Line Rates
Nov 29, 2011

Greetings, fellow transcriptionists. I've been in the field for over 15 years. Due to a recent buyout of my current MTSO by a huge conglomerate, there is talk of our line rates being cut, apparently down to as low as 8 cents a line.  Needless to say, I'm considering looking elsewhere since this is a major paycut. I'm eyeballing Transcend as I've heard good things and know they used to pay decently. Anyone in the know, do they still go up to 9 cents a line or are the ...

VR Line Rates For Beginning MT
May 01, 2012

Anyone know the starting vr line rate for a new MT? I was offered 2.5 cpl vr and 6 cpl straight. Any comments would help!! Thanks ...

Line Rates/spaces
Aug 11, 2012

Does getting paid for spaces add about 2 cents to line rate?  I was getting 10 cpl for an account (not paid for spaces) and then lost that to offshoring.  The new account pays 8 cpl, but paid for spaces, so they say that's equivalent.  Does that sound right?  Is that the average rate now?    Interesting article just stumbled on:  http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/26/medical-transcription-theres-just-no-money-in-it/ ...

How Many Have Had Line Rates Decreased?
Oct 05, 2012

I heard that KS has recently reduced everyone's line rates by 1 cent and only pay a flat fee for radiology reports now. Which other MTSOs have done this? ...

Why Am I Seeing LOWER Line Rates Than Ever?!
Dec 22, 2012

Browsing through the job listings (again), and noticing 7 cpl for IC!?  WHAT?  Why is this industry allowed to get away with this crap!  I worked for the same company for 17 years before the MQ acquired it.  I ended up quitting in 2004.  At that time, I was making 9.5 cpl and had "topped out" at that rate, not having had a raise in more than a year.  Since then, I have been job-hopping and cannot seem to find contentment with any company.  In my experience, t ...

Inscribe Line Rates
Aug 10, 2014

Can anyone fill me in on Inscribe line rates?  Is it more if you transcrbie more?  TIA! ...

Have They Increased Line Rates??
Oct 09, 2014

I noticed a couple of posts about companies paying 6.5 CPL. Was I right when I predicted they would have to increased rates to hang onto the experienced editors? Or are they paying that for transcription? ...

Line Rates Changing On Each Check?
May 05, 2011

Can anyone explain to me the line rates on the new pay stubs.  Mine is not showing my actual lines, just the money.  When I go to the web site for the breakdown it shows 4 different rates that seem to vary from week to week.  They are Week 1 TR, Week 2 TR, Week 1 SR and week 2 SR.  I know we may get less pay for a QA report, but I rarely send in reports  for QA.  Do the audits count as QA'd lines for the lesser line rate..  Should I call my CCM or just pay ...

Line Rates - You Can Check Out Salaries Of The CEO, COO, And CFO
Jan 13, 2012

You can check out salaries of the CEO, COO, and CFO of publically traded companies at the securities and exchange commission website.   It will open your eyes and now that we are all working for what we did in the 80's, you will find we have more in common with the unwashed masses of the OWS movement than we thought.  ...

Line Rates And Company Profits
Feb 15, 2012

Anyone struggling since your line rates were cut back to less than what you were hired for?  I am struggling, but with extra hours, getting by, just barely. It makes it really tough though, when you read that the company, which boasts at being the best thanks to "you",  posts a 32.9 Million $ profit for 2011.  Wow, I'm sure the stockholders are pleased, in fact, they are saying that TR is a good investment.  I'm really proud that I have contribut ...

ACCENTUS--VBC? Or Just Really Good Line Rates?
Apr 04, 2012

Is Accentus still just paying for visible black characters and no spaces?  I see that their recent ad mentions line rates, but doesn't state anything about spaces.. ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Compare Company Line Rates (sm)
Apr 03, 2014

Can we post line rates quoted to experienced MTs this year?  I think many of us do not wish to waste applying and testing for a company that is reducing the line rate AGAIN to only .03 cpl.  If anyone was offered less than .04/.08, did you turn it down? Did they offer more? Name of company?Thanks for any input.  ...

Compare Line Rates Between IC And Employee?
Aug 19, 2014

Can someone please tell me how to compare line rates between IC and employee?  I know IC pays less due to taxes and social security not paid by employer, but if someone could tell me what 8 cpl as an IC really pays, I would really appreciate it.  TIA. ...

6 And 4? What Happened To 9 And 6? Line Rates Go Down Daily! Sm
Apr 23, 2015

Working for 6 cents seems so little... smh... I just don't know anymore. Maybe go work at Arbys? ...

Acute Care Transcription - Going Line Rates?
Nov 26, 2012

Hi, am new to the boards.  Have recently started acute care transcription, H&Ps, discharge summaries, etc.  Can anyone help with what the going line rates are (65 character line).  Thanks. ...

RECENT Information On Precyse Regarding Line Rates
Jan 13, 2013

Does anyone have any RECENT information on Precyse regarding line rates, quality of insurance and other benefits, quality of work and stability of work load, etc.?  Thanks!   ...

Avg IC Line Rates For Experienced MT/QA Straight Type And ASR? Nm
Jun 08, 2015

Switching from employee to IC for first time in my life and have seen low rates offered. What is the typically going rate? Shouldn't it be higher for straight typing and because you are an IC and not employee?   Thanks! ...

Line Rates For Editing Has Become Ridiculous - We Need To Make A Difference NOW!
Jan 07, 2010

So, here it goes -- We all know the medical transcription industry has really gone downhill with regard to our pay.  I currently just lost about $10/hour to change to editing and I have been doing it for several months hoping that it would get better, but it has not.  This is just crazy to me.  You still need the same amount of knowledge to create an accurate medical report.   I do not know about everyone else, but the reports I am seeing coming ...

Any Idea What Family Insurance Costs For Webmedx?, Also Line Rates, Etc.
Jan 20, 2010

Just looking for a range here if you don't mind.   Also, are they strict with their schedules? ...

What Does "LIAL" Stand For In Relation To Gross Line Rate?
Apr 08, 2011

There is an ad on the job board paying by the gross line with the initials LIAL in parentheses after the words "gross line."  What does this mean? ...

EMR - My Personal Experience
Nov 02, 2009

I have been an IC for past 13 years with all local physician office accounts. As of July this year, I now have only one left due to the use of the EMR. While those of you are saying that EMR will not phase out transcriptionist..well that may be so, but in my experience it has already phased me out. The doctors have sent absolutely no further dictation since they began using this and they told me they do not plan to. So, I am now out of a job that I really depended on. Just giving my perspective. ...

My Own Personal Survey
Feb 07, 2012

I was just watching the news, and the all the job openings with average annual income. What I would like to know is this: Is any MT at MM or any other MTSO able to make a living wage? Please be honest. I for one am not evening breaking $1000 a month anymore, and at one time I was able to make at least $36,000 a year. Thanks ...

My Personal Best Links For MT
Oct 13, 2012

LAB VALUES:   http://musom.marshall.edu/usmle/usmlelabvalues.htm CHEMO DRUGS:  http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/default.aspx NATIONAL PROVIDER SEARCH: http://nynpi.com/ DRUGS: https://online.epocrates.com/  (type your drug in the box. No need to register) BACTERIA:  http://www.thegreatdictator.com/bacteria/ GENERAL MEDICAL REFERENCE:  http://www.fpnotebook.com/index.htm AIDS MEDS: http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml I hope this helps ...