A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

how many words are in a 65-character line? - just me

Posted: Dec 02, 2010

I just want to know specifically how many words are in a 65-character line?  Thanks in advance Smile

Depends on how many letters there are in the words. - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
there cannot be any set amount of words for a 65 character word. you could have one 65 character word in the line and that's what you would get. Is this a joke???

no this is not a joke. sm - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
some companies have 55 characters per line and there is this one company that charges their client at 4 cents per word and i am just curious to know the difference.

thank you very much

average word 5 letters it has been said, you can only guess an average. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

4 cents a word seems to be a great rate. Think about it, 8 cpl is standard - but there is more than 2 words in a line

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems good to me.

There is probably a formula they follow to know - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for sure what the difference/payment would be.

Here is the fuzzy math - Hope this helps

[ In Reply To ..]

If you have MS Word, you can do comparisons until you get an average.

I took a sample 2-page discharge summary and did a Word Count in MS Word.

Here are the results:

Words

Characters (no spaces)

Characters (with spaces)

65-character line (4422 divided by 65)

68 lines

55-character line (4422 divided by 55)

80 lines

65-character, Paid 8 cpl (68 x 0.08)

$5.44

55-character, Paid 8 cpl (80 x 0.08)

$6.40

Charge client (670 words x 0.04)

$26.80

Hope that helped.

No way to know. It varies on how long each - word is. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

thats why they call it averaging, dear. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
there is an average word length and it's an averaged close guess from there.

thank you very much to all and have an awesome day ahead :-) - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
i really appreciate all the replies...thanks a bunch

Rule of thumb - oldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Used to be considered 10 words make up a line.

Of course unless you use the exact same words in every line, this varies.

Similar Messages:

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

So Is A 65 Character Line
Nov 04, 2011

visible characters only?  Thanks! ...

QA Editing At 3 Cpl On A 65-character VBC Line???
Jul 28, 2010

I honestly think this may be the lowest paying position I've ever seen advertised on this site.  QA editing at 3 cpl and only for VBC on a 65-character line? Please, someone tell me I'm not reading this correctly...Please? ...

NetMed - Pay By Character Instead Of By Line?
May 14, 2011

NetMed.  They pay by character instead of by line?  So, we make at lot less money?  Any thoughts? ...

? RE: CHARACTER LINE COUNT - HELP PLS!
Jul 21, 2011

I've been offered an MT position with 55 characters per line, 80% MT, only 20% VR, but 0.08 cents down from 0.086 -  opinions anybody ASAP? MUCH Appreciated!! ...

PAY BASED ON 50-CHARACTER LINE
Aug 04, 2011

I WAS OFFERED A POSITION AT A COMPANY I CANNOT NAME AT 0.076 CPL WITH A LINE BASED ON 50 CHARACTERS, ALL TYPING, NO VR.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WOULD BE EQUAL TO ON A 65-CHARACTER LINE?  IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE PAY AS I HAVE NEVER USED A 50-CHARACTER LINE BEFORE? ...

What Is The Average Pay Per 65 Character Line
Jan 24, 2012

What is the average pay per 65 character line for a newbie? ...

Does Amphion Pay On A 65 Character Line With Spaces?
Jun 14, 2010

nm ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...

Character Count/line Count
Feb 23, 2011

Is this correct? I type 70,000 characters a day. I am paid by the 65 character line so I would divide 70,000 by 65 to get 1076, then multiple that by pay per line, say $.10 and get $107. If this is not correct then what is the formula? And what is the average number of lines per day? Thanks so much for the info. ...

Paid By Character
Jul 13, 2012

Does anybody out there get paid by the character?  Are you making a living doing it?  I'm not.  I'm so broke it's pitiful.  Most dictations are very short and no money to be made there.  Quality is out the window also.  Just needed to vent. Sorry. ...

Does Anyone Know About K & R Consulting? They Pay 65 Character VBC.
Jul 23, 2012

The daily line count is kind of high considering they don't count spaces if I understand VBC correctly. ...

Per Character Pricing
Jul 29, 2014

Just found out company has sold transcription account to Acusis.  What is the formula for figuring out how much per billable characters equal an hourly rate?  I'm going from hourly to per character and have no clue how to figure out what is a good price to keep my current income level.  I type about 130 lines per hour. ...

VBC (visible Black Character)
Jan 02, 2010

When did this start to happen??  By my calculations, you stand to lose 20-30% of your income.  If you have to type a space, why wouldn't you expect to be paid for it???  For me, VBC stands for "victim by choice," which I refuse to be. ...

Figuring Out Rate Per Character
Aug 22, 2014

Does anyone know how to figure out what the rate per character would be if pay is 14 cents a line at 70 characters per line? ...

Website Says Pay Is 65 Character Lines With Expander
Nov 04, 2009

.nm ...

Need Word/character Counting Software
Jul 15, 2013

Can anyone recommend a word/character counting software? Have used Sylcount Gold IV for years but it keeps bombing on me and I have upgraded and paid countless times. The help line is of minimal help. Thanks for anyones suggestions. Jean ...

Word Perfect 65 Character Count With Spaces
Jan 24, 2010

In Word Perfect, to count characters, you click on properties, word count, and then do you just add up the top two things, Characters and Words, taking that total and dividing by 65?  They are paying 65 character lines including spaces and I cannot remember how to do this.  I have WPX4. Thank you kindly.  ...

Paid For Spaces Versus Black Character Only
Apr 05, 2010

Just as an experiment...With Saince I typed about 12-13 reports, typed one that was 18 minutes long in the midst of the others.  It equaled a little over 400 lines (it was under 420). Now, with a job that pays for spaces, I typed one report 12 min long - 126 lines.  Typing 10 reports, I hit 424 lines. The Saince reports were standard type, most 1-1/2 to 2 pages long...ONLY 400 lines???  Most of the ones I just did this morning for another company were mostly 1 page long, VR, dis ...

Being A Word Based Platform, Can't We Use Character Count
Jun 09, 2012

;) ...

Word 2010 Character Spacing Problem Question. . .
Apr 17, 2011

I now have a new computer and I am using Word 2010 to send files to the lady I work for, where I previously used Word 2003 - she says when she receives my files now the spacing between words is a lot, not normal, when it looks totally normal on my end, I don't know how to fix this, may have to go back to using the old computer and Word 2003, but that makes no sense.  Anyone know how to fix this? ...

? On Words
Oct 16, 2009

I am wondering on clean void urine culture, do I need to put a slash in between clean and void? Then when I have to write grade II, do I capitalize the word Grade? I have this sentence I am trying to get too. Conization was repeated and showed benign e_____ cervical p_______? The words start with them but I can not find anything, the last word sounds like polarization? If anybody has a isea, that will help. Here is another on too, The pateint was _____ and fever resolved? It sounds like defe ...

Need Two Words Please
Oct 19, 2009

This is a Op Note for a AAA surgery . ..    1.  . . we used the glide catheter to exchange the Terumo wires to the s/l "lun-di-cris" wires.   2.  We were able to pass a 16 sheath on the right and had to bare back the left limb using an s/l "An-u-rex" 16 x 115 mm contralateral limb.   ...

I Am So Sorry But I Have 2 Words...
Oct 20, 2009

does not have a history of migraines, tics, or 'paramyoconus' no varus or valgus angulation of the 'os calculus' ...