A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Paid for spaces versus black character only - jm0405

Posted: Apr 05, 2010

Just as an experiment...With Saince I typed about 12-13 reports, typed one that was 18 minutes long in the midst of the others.  It equaled a little over 400 lines (it was under 420).

Now, with a job that pays for spaces, I typed one report 12 min long - 126 lines.  Typing 10 reports, I hit 424 lines.

The Saince reports were standard type, most 1-1/2 to 2 pages long...ONLY 400 lines???  Most of the ones I just did this morning for another company were mostly 1 page long, VR, discharge summaries...WAAAYYYY LESS TYPING, shorter reports by far, MORE MONEY??? 

Hope this answers your question about those jobs paying for "black character" only. 

I would never take a job that doesn't pay for - spaces.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a keystroke, whether you can see it or not.

If they don't want to pay for spaces, I will type their reportswithoutspacessotheygettheideathatspacesareimportantandshouldbepaidfor.

LOL - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
You got it!! I didn't realize the pay difference until I took a job like that for a 1-1/2 weeks. UGLY! What would be 600 lines for job w/space is about 200 without space being paid for. Cheap and cheesy!

It's not important whether they pay for spaces or not, but - HOW MUCH they pay for whatever method they use.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're comparing the same per-line rate in both cases, then yes, you lose without spaces. Without spaces I would expect a higher rate, or shorter than 65-character lines, but otherwise HECK NO!
Respectfully disagree - every keystroke should count, regardless of line r
[ In Reply To ..]
The VBC way of line counting is yet another way that our good friends ADHI have proven that they are in bed with the MTSOs and have no interest in promoting MTs. They were the ones that came up with it and have been the ones to heavily promote it.

My problem with VBC - regardless of line rate - is the gradual erosion of the value of our services. To my mind, it's very much the same as the gradual erosion of the line rates. Years ago 12 to 13 cpl was considered standard. Now we consider it fortunate if we find someone who is paying 9 cpl for typing and let's not even start on the decreased rate for ASR. If we accept the VBC way of counting lines with the caveat that we need to make a higher line rate, it's just a matter of time before the VBC way becomes "standard" and then the line rate will gradually creep down.

My own personal opinion is that every character needs to be paid for, not just the ones that you see, no matter what line count the company is offering to supposedly make up for the difference. If they can offer a higher line rate to make up for it, then they can pay for every single character.

I'm with another poster who said that if they don't want to pay me for spaces, thentheydon'tgetanyspacesintheirdocument.
Well, don't know about you, but - just sayin
[ In Reply To ..]
if I had an offer from a company that didn't pay for spaces but I would ultimately make more money because of a higher line/character rate, I believe I'd take that sucker! But to each his own.
Do you really think a company that cheats by paying - only for VBC would pay more per line?
[ In Reply To ..]
Never happen. A company that cheats its workers by paying only for visible characters, and not spaces, will cheat them in other ways, as well. And they'll be the first to find other ways to lower your pay.
No, not a company that cheats. But there - are others out there that
[ In Reply To ..]
don't. Maybe few and far between, but they're out there!

My whole point was that there are many methods of pay, and to me it's more about the net result than what method they use. That's all. Simply focusing on spaces or no spaces isn't the be-all, end-all.

Unless the company is trying to cheat you; I know, I know...but again, what does that come down to? The net pay!
My gripe is this... - jm0405
[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't mind working for no spaces if the company were honest from the get-go about it. What I mean is this: I was told only paid by black character. Ok..but after 11-12 reports or so, I only had 400 lines when I looked and I asked, "Is this with or without spaces and all? Is this black character only or are you going to deduct more?" He wouldn't answer me. I don't appreciate that dishonesty where you believe you are going to make x-amount of money and then payday rolls around and they decide not to pay you. Instead, they dictate what they fell like paying. For more about this complaint, on company board, read up on Sciance. They did just this - WITHOUT TYPING...They also believe that the $171 they paid was a kind move and they don't wish to pay me for the lines I typed.

This is where I don't like "black character only". If a company were more honest, forthcoming, willing to communicate and stick with paperwork, this might be workable for a new MT. I figure no spaces would average out to 0.065 a line or thereabouts. That's new MT wage. I have been here 20 years - no thank you. The way Sciance will not be open about what they are willing to pay you for payday is unacceptable for anybody!! For the 37-1/2 hours in my PC, they think an average of $2.20 covers my time and bills...THAT IS ILLEGAL - FAR UNDER MINIMUM WAGE!!!

I am more inclined to go with a company that is a straight shooter. What you see for lines is what we're paying you for. I avoid companies that tell you to deduct 20% from your line count because they don't pay headers. That's equivalent to dishonesty listed above. WE DON'T WORK FOR FREE PEOPLE!! I don't like games played with my income. Naturally, I oppose paying for "black character only" especially with an employer that left the door open so they can steal money from their 10 American MTs working for them (6 of us were hired on March 23rd mind you) after 10 years of being in business in the United States. Rip of Indians - Leave Americans alone.

In these proposals, be careful...proceed with caution.

Amen to that! MTs should be paid by keystroke anyway, but we're not and now - MoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
they want to take away keystrokes. It's a buncha hooey!

I get paid by the keystroke, but I know that's - not the norm.

[ In Reply To ..]
A space is a keystroke. Period. - No ifs, ands, or buts.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Um...yes. Yes it is. - ?
[ In Reply To ..]
So is Enter, Tab, Bold, Underline, Shift... - If a finger hits a key, any key...
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a keystroke/character.
Yep... :) - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Black Character - sjh
[ In Reply To ..]
My employer just went to visible black character last week. She raised my line rate not even a full penny, so after doing some math I am getting 20% less. I am looking for new employment now. Any companies hiring now? I have over 5 years experience?

Thanks for letting me vent :-(

Similar Messages:

VBC (visible Black Character)
Jan 02, 2010

When did this start to happen??  By my calculations, you stand to lose 20-30% of your income.  If you have to type a space, why wouldn't you expect to be paid for it???  For me, VBC stands for "victim by choice," which I refuse to be. ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Does Amphion Pay On A 65 Character Line With Spaces?
Jun 14, 2010

nm ...

Word Perfect 65 Character Count With Spaces
Jan 24, 2010

In Word Perfect, to count characters, you click on properties, word count, and then do you just add up the top two things, Characters and Words, taking that total and dividing by 65?  They are paying 65 character lines including spaces and I cannot remember how to do this.  I have WPX4. Thank you kindly.  ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

Paid By Character
Jul 13, 2012

Does anybody out there get paid by the character?  Are you making a living doing it?  I'm not.  I'm so broke it's pitiful.  Most dictations are very short and no money to be made there.  Quality is out the window also.  Just needed to vent. Sorry. ...

Politically Correct - AA Versus Black
Feb 15, 2012

Do you change "black" to African American?  ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...

NOT GETTING PAID FOR SPACES
Jan 22, 2011

Ithinkitisnotfairtonotpayforthespacebarkey!! ...

How Can You Tell If You Are Not Being Paid For Spaces?
Jul 20, 2011

but now I can't find it.  Thanks.  ...

Jobs Where You're Not Paid For Spaces...
Jun 27, 2011

Please don't take a job where you're not paid for spaces. You are better than that and deserve more. It takes a good chunk out of your pay, especially when these MT companies don't pay you much anyway. If you have to do it out of desperation, please keep your eye on another job where you ARE paid for spaces and take it the first chance you get.  Just a piece of friendly advice. ...

Seeing A New Influx Of VBC Or Being Paid For No Spaces
Jul 22, 2011

Not sure if it helps to know or not but if you are doing VR, it's 99% likely you are NOT being paid for spaces.  Afterall, you're not PRODUCING the spaces.  And since most of the transcribed work is still done in the same application as the VR work, you dont get paid spaces for transcribed work. You should be getting paid a higher line rate, however, for what you produce from scratch (and I mean higher than 8 or 9).  But this is where I see services taking advantage, by ...

VBC Pay Versus With Spaces Pay
Jun 15, 2011

What would 4.4 cents editing VBC average out to if compared to transcribing with spaces? ...

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

Black Sponge Used In I&D
Jul 23, 2011

Anyone ever typed a black sponge in surgery?  I listened for "lap" and "lac" but I really hear "black."   Context:  "We took another rim of skin about a centimeter wider inferiorly until it bled well, as well.  This was controlled with electrocautery.  The area was then pulse-irrigated.  A medium size black sponge was placed over top of this.  The more tangential excision was covered with a wound VAC, sponge that had been tangentially shaven in half, and the entire area activated after ...

Black Out Days ---Ugh
Jul 02, 2013

Tried to submit a PDO a month in advance and got the screen showing dates blacked out.  I know it is summer, but give it a break.  I really, really need/want this day off.  Now do I try to negotiate with my manager or do I feel a fever coming on?  ...

Since When Has Halloween Become A Black-out Day?
Oct 25, 2013

Tried to take off much needed time for personal issues that suddenly arose and happened to include Halloween.  Was denied because it's a "black-out" day!  WTH?!! I don't celebrate Halloween but I do have much needed things that need attention and can't possibly put off because of this miserable minimum wage POS job.  Taking it off anyway.  Guess I'll get "sick" instead.  How I would love to walk into the TSM office and give her the finger.  ...

$0.05 Per 43 Visible Black Characters?
Mar 29, 2010

Exactly what does that end up being translated into a usual 65 character line with spaces?    I'm feeling like I need a math degree to figure out what I'm going to get paid lately.  ...

Saw A Job Offer For .05 Per 45 Black Characters?
Apr 11, 2010

This pay sounds horrible. ...

Medication For Black Tongue
Jun 03, 2010

Doctor has a patient with a black tongue secondary to medication.  He gives her a prescritpion for what s/l "mycolatrocious" to apply q.i.d. to the tongue.  I rarely have a med I can't find but this one has me stumped!  Any suggestions?? ...

Visible Black Chacters
Mar 26, 2012

I am seeing some companies pay based on VBC but the line counts vary greatly.  Does anyone get paid this way and what is considered decent.  I have seen 5cpl for 43 character lines but have also seen 7 cpl for a 65 character line.  Help! ...

Does Accentus Only Pay For Black Characters? Nm
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

Black Screen Of Death?
Jul 12, 2012

? ...

Citrix Black Screen
Apr 01, 2013

Anyone out there use Citrix and get a black screen instead of log in screen? Any help greatly appreciated!! ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

IRS DEFINITION-IC STATUS BLACK & WHITE
Jul 10, 2012

Independent Contractor Defined   People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individu ...

Is There Any Truth To A No-hire Black List?
Mar 19, 2014

I have worked for 20+ years with two companies and had good reviews and made good money.  No problems with meeting production.  Left one of the big 2 companies last January after pay cuts, nothing nasty, I just kindly and sincerely expressed my opinion why I was leaving.  Since then I've applied with 3 or 4 other companies, was told by one I was on *do not hire list*, but was never given a reason why.  Is there something I can do here?  I'm a good employee and ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...