A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Starting my own business - Mr. D

Posted: Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Own business - long-time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure why you are working for 5 cents a line. Are you a new graduate? If so, you will have a hard time acquiring clients of your own or starting your own business without experience. I haven't seen too many jobs with companies that pay less than 8 cents a line for experience (even though this is still extremely low). I used to have my own clients for many years and then worked for some MTSOs. When I recently tried to go back to obtaining my own clients I found that most offices/hospitals prefer to go with a service so they are covered 24/7. And most (not all) want to pay the lowest rate they can and will drop you in a heartbeat if they get a better offer. I'm not trying to discourage you, but just letting you know having your own MT business in this day and age will be very hard to get up and running. I hope someone on here can give you great advice. I would like to hear some as well. I wish you the best of luck!

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a new graduate. I graduated in June. I work for StenTel and the pay is so low. I just wanted to acquire some social workers and/or psychiatrists because I love that kind of work. I would take anything I could, but that is my preference. I am discouraged with the pay in this profession and just thought maybe doing it on my own would be more lucrative. I have a friend who wants to do it with me, so we can always have coverage. I would not even know what a competetive rate would be to offer to attract clients.

Suggestion from an IC - Clinics and other ICs

[ In Reply To ..]
I would start with clinics. Clinics are smaller, easier to please and more friendly than hospitals, the work is easier, and you'll have personal contact with the staff. They don't need 24/7 transcriptionists because they have regular office hours.

In my area, the going rate is 16 cents a line, but I personally make 13 cents a line, since I am a subcontractor for another transcriptionist (who makes 16).

That brings me to my other piece of advice--I got into my own business by contacting local transcriptionists and asking if they needed backup help or a subcontractor. It's easier, and it's a good way to create a nice support system with other MTs.

Good luck!

[ In Reply To ..]
That is fantastic advice. How do I go about finding local transcriptionist? I would love to network with them!

Suggestion from an IC - Clinics and other ICs

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a few ways to do it. You could always google your area and "medical transcriptionists" and start sending out emails to companies that come up, but I've found that I've gotten a low response rate that way.

The way that really worked for me was using the phone book or google to find local transcriptionists, then print up a friendly letter introducing yourself and letting them know that you are looking to cover vacations, overflow, or for a permanent position. You can include a business card with the letter (I use vistaprint), and although they may not need anyone right away, they may save your card and call you later, which is what happened to me.

You can also create postcards and send them to other transcriptionists or to local clinics in your area, advertising your company and perhaps offering an introductory rate (I wouldn't go below 12 cents a line), and see if anyone bites.
[ In Reply To ..]
Ok a few questions:
1. What did you need to purchase when you worked for another MT?
2. What is VistaPrint (sorry might be a dumb question)
3. Did you use your own name or make up a business name when advertising yourself to other MT's?
4. Did you do the postcard? If so what did you put on there?
Thank you so much for the information.

just curious - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
5 cpl and not making minimum wage? IMO, going into business for yourself might not be your best idea. While it's not (IMO) a livable wage, 200 lph shouldn't be an issue to achieve and that's $10/hr. All things being equal, you won't be making tons more than that with what you have to spend to make more. (You'll make more than 5 cpl, I just mean that once you put out the "extra" money, you're going to end up in the same ballpark, maybe just slightly better seats.)

[ In Reply To ..]
If the work were there maybe I could make that $10.00 an hour. Also, these companies seem to be making money, even hiring ICs so why wouldn't I wanna try? I like the idea of finding some local transcriptionists and offering to be there backup source. It may or may not work, but I would like to try. 12 cents is certainly better than the 5 cents I am making IMO.

own business - make sure

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to pay your own taxes quarterly out of the $10 an hour you will be making, there are business taxes you need to pay, there may be other overhead money you will have to put out on a regular basis to be an IC so make sure you are aware what that will be and how much of that $10 an hour you will be keeping for yourself.

ICs and own business - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, I live in one of the most expensive locations in the US, but I am unable to achieve near that price with my own clients despite excellent quality; however, most of my work is templated (and completely paid for), so it does add up more, and I ensure my dictators speak CLEAR ENLGISH on a landline. Even injured, I make way more than $10.00 per hour (up to $100 per hour depending on dictator) and am turning down clients because I cannot find a qualified MT. The one hired today was even the worst yet despite the clearest speaking dictator and plenty samples given. WFT, she did not even name the files... or put a period at the end of the sentence, let alone it making sense. It took her over 9 hours to send three 2-minute files that you only have to type at most 1-2 paragraphs.... everything is in there...

I have a new client opportunity right now besides needing assistance with my other clients, so please feel free to email me. A sample of your work would be appreciated with demos removed. If you are serious in starting a business, I can help; however, quality client-ready work is expected and appreciated. especially because they speak so clearly, and I have a lot of clients on the waiting list.
Interested - Mr.D
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi,
Ok I am interested in speaking to you about potentially working with/for you. How can I get a hold of you to talk about this ASAP? I am a good MT and love the fact that you have English speaking doctors.
Be careful, Mr. D - if it sounds too good to be true... - Maggie May
[ In Reply To ..]
it probably is. I would be interested to know how many people from here contact this person, and what the end results are.
Starting my own business - Mr.D
[ In Reply To ..]
You are right. Thank you for caring enough to post.

Long reply (SM) - Indie MT

[ In Reply To ..]
been a transcriptionist for 20 years. I've owned my own company (my own clients) for 5 years. When I decided to go out on my own, I did my own research for months, read The Independent Medical Transcriptionst cover to cover more than once and pounded the pavement as well as mailed out brochures, business cards, etc. that I had professionally printed.

I bought all my own equipment and I would say put nearly $5,000-$10,000 into it.

This is not just an "oh goodie I get to work from home" job. This is a professional business. If you want to be successful be prepared to work your butt off to do so. You can't just come here and expect everyone to rush to help you.

Remember, if you have your own clients you are everything. You're accounting, IT, customer service, etc. You're not just transcribing. You're solving problems on your own time (since they won't pay you for phone calls, reprints, etc) and it can be a 7 day a week job sometimes. It's not unheard of for me to work till 11:00 p.m. 7 days a week.

You will have no time off unless the doctor takes time off unless you find someone to cover for you and then you have to edit, supply equipment, etc. to make sure everything is getting done.

Plus you have to keep impeccible records for the IRS, pay quarterly taxes, pay for your own disability insurance, retirement, medical insurance, equipment maintenance, etc.

It's much easier to work for someone else. Would I change anything? Not in a million years. I love my clients and my job. But realize you're going to be busting your butt so if you're not 100% prepared and serious, don't even consider it.

In reply to long reply - Mr.D

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your most valuable comments on starting my own business. The reason I posted here was to get insight and advice good or bad on the possibilty of starting up a business. I never came to this forum thinking anyone would rush to help me, rather that people would be gracious enough to give me some advice.
I am not sure why so many here are angry/arrogant in their replies when I merely came here for some friendly advice. Thank you for your reply and I wish you good luck in your business and I wish you a better attitude as well. You seem crusty and bitter and if that is what having my own business will do to me, well then your reply proves to be invaluable as it has answered my question.

It was just a question.......

In Agreement!! - Sandygirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with Mr. D. Why be so rude to others who are starting out just looking for some advice? So many out there are so bitter. We are all in this together so why not support each other?

Similar Messages:

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

Starting An MT Business...any Thoughts
Dec 24, 2010

I have been an MT and QA for 6 years and have been employee, as well as IC.  I am ready to branch out and start my own MT service.  Starting with single physicians and then eventually working my way up and hiring other MTs and expanding my business.  Are there any resources out there that I can refer to that will help you to know how to GET CLIENTS!!  There are no books out there but one about how to start an MT business but it is sooooooo outdated!!!  Any information f ...

Starting A New Transcription Business
Oct 24, 2013

I am going to attempt to start my own transcription company but in the age of EHR Obamacare rules, how would I go about doing so? What are people charging these days? I am seeing per minute, per line, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Need Help-starting Up Own MT Business-advice Appreciated
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT business and have been in the process for about six months now.  I just do not want to get it up and running and realize that I forgot something or messed up somewhere down the line.  My main concern is the new HITECH Act that goes into effect in February.  I plan on having a couple of girls working for me from their homes and I am just confused on the exact rules and regulations that coincide wtih this new act.  Also, I need advice on the best way ...

Starting A Business, Info On Filing Taxes, FICA, Etc.
Jan 04, 2011

In starting your own transcription business, without using an accountant, how do I find out what I need to do in order to file taxes, FICA, etc.?  Is there one website that would give me the best information? Can't afford an accountant for now. Thanks so much! ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...

Look At This-get Out Of The Business While Ya Can
Aug 23, 2012

Looks like according to this article that Nuance really did try to buy out MModal:   MModal to Disclose Data to Settle Suits Over Acquisition By Jef Feeley - Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM CT Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments Print QUEUE Q MModal Inc., a maker of medical- transcription software, agreed to make more disclosures about a $1.1 billion buyout offer by a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to settle investor lawsuits over th ...

Does Anyone Know If QMT Or GCT Are Still In Business?
Feb 20, 2014

A friend said her work load dropped at GCT and she was asked to take a PRN status, but suspected the EPIC system the hospital started.  I know that QMT is also affilicated with the same hospitals. Does anyone have work? ...

How Many Of You Had To Get A Business Licence
Oct 13, 2009

I am curious how many of you had to get a business licence.  I live in OR and was told by the tax lady that I need to get a city business license.  Does everyone have to have one.  I keep getting surveys as though I am a business with employees (how many employees, size of building I run my business from, etc).  So am just curious how many others got this and is it a requirement as an IC to have the license. (just wonder if my tax lady was wrong). ...

One Good Way To Get Out Of This Business.
Mar 24, 2010

Fed up with it?  Also fed up with the usual job sites that repeat the same ones over and over?  Go to your state's Employment Commission web site.  Click on site for state job postings.  Put in your job criteria, and make sure you click the one that says G for General Public.  Put in full/part time, etc.  You can even select the county in which you wish to work.  When the jobs are posted you usually have 10 days to do an online application and can submit ...

Greed In The MT Business
May 04, 2010

I believe greed has taken over the transcription industry.  If the client is charged so much per line, does he only have to pay half for voice recognition?  I doubt it.  The voice recognition should have been a tool for the transcriptionist to be able to produce a lot more lines . . . instead I believe it is so the higher ups can line their pockets with gold and stomp on the MLS.  Transcend is now sooooo greedy they are sending almost half of the work overseas at night.  ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Anybody Else In The Letter Business?
Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to stream ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Business Licenses
Sep 28, 2010

I live in Florida and am trying to obtain a business license for medical transcription.  My county and city do not give them out and they tell me to call the State of FL, I have called about 10 different numbers and no one can help me.  If there is anyone out there who has a business license for medical transcription in the State of FL, please let me know how you went about getting one.  ...

MedQuist The Business
Mar 08, 2011

Does anyone know how many people MedQuist employs?  How many of them are MTs?  How many hospital accounts does MQ have?  Is it the largest MTSO in the US?  Just curious. ...

Anyone Using Hughesnet Business?
Jul 23, 2011

Trying to figure out a way to live in the country and still work.  I know people have said that using satellite such as wildblue has been a disaster for them, but I see that hughesnet has business plans.  With these you get a larger dish, faster speeds, and what sounds like a more stable connection.  It looks to me like it could work, hoping for some input from anyone who has tried it or is presently working with it.  Thanks so much.  ...

Start Your Own Business
Jul 29, 2011

I am really tired of working for other people and have them treat you like dirt all the while making millions of bucks off our hard work. Has anyone looked into starting their own company?  What resources are required and how does one go about licensing, getting clients, etc.? Any information on this topic would be helpful.  Please don't reply if you have anything negative to say.  Just want some good clean advice  :) ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Is Transcript USA Still In Business? Nm
Apr 23, 2012

nm ...

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
May 14, 2012

Call me naive, but I just saw a popup ad that seems to be advertising that the county where I live has 5 international offices.  I don't know why I'm surprised to hear this, but it seems pertinent to our concerns regarding offshoring.  Maybe we should learn how to join them if we can't beat them?  Maybe global marketing is the subject we all could profit from studying?? "In addition to the U.S.-based International Marketing Division, the *** has offices in Californ ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...