A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Starting an MT business...any thoughts - keysha

Posted: Dec 24, 2010

I have been an MT and QA for 6 years and have been employee, as well as IC.  I am ready to branch out and start my own MT service.  Starting with single physicians and then eventually working my way up and hiring other MTs and expanding my business. 

Are there any resources out there that I can refer to that will help you to know how to GET CLIENTS!!  There are no books out there but one about how to start an MT business but it is sooooooo outdated!!!  Any information from any other MTs that have successfully started their own business and how they got their clients, would be very much appreciated.  Or any MTs that started an MT service but no longer have their business and why? 

I am just tired of the 8 cents per line when the MTSO's charge anywhere from 15 cpl to 22 cpl.  I would like to cash in on some of that!!!!  I know it will be hard work but I have been doing my research and I already have a TASP company ready to sign me up when I get my clients and they only charge 1.5 cents per line to use their platform. 

Thanks to anyone in advance for any info. 

My Thoughts - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, you didn't really ask for opinions on whether this is a good idea, but I do have one. I'm thinking the info on how to do this is outdated because small MTSO's are outdated. Clinic doctors rarely use MTs in a big way anymore. You would need a lot of work to cover your business expenses.

That being said, if you find a clinic who uses MTs, one way to get clients is to do a half day's or full day's work for them for free. They don't have much to lose.

Good luck.

From someone who has been doing this for 28 years... - Diana

[ In Reply To ..]
I would suggest you find a more profitable career. Going out on your own in transcription right now, IMO, is a VERY risky thing to do. Most of the doctors that I had as clients have merged with the larger hospital-based practices who use the hospital transcription system. The smaller doctors can't afford to be in practice anymore. It's become a very sad situation. Just my two cents.

Agree - MT Again

[ In Reply To ..]
My family doctor just uses a little electronic thing to punch in the information. Of course, my case isn't all the complicated and it's just Family Practice, but I would recommend just trying it as a side job and see how it goes. The multi-speciality clinics also often use the larger MTSOs.

Diana - Sarah

[ In Reply To ..]
As a retired MTSO, I completely agree with you. IMHO, the downhill slide began with MedQuist and the way they treated not only MTs but also hospitals and other clients. I agree with you completely. I would not allow my daughter to study MT. It's a losing proposition.

Agreed! After my own accounts for many years, - Done

[ In Reply To ..]
I am working on getting out. The account I have had longest has asked me to cut my line rate, so in effect I'm making the same as I was 18 years ago. With no benefits. It's just not worth it anymore. Other accounts have gone to VR and point and click. I have no doubt that the rest will follow before too long. I'm tired of dealing with the favoritism and nepotism and cherry picking. I am just sick to death of the whole thing. I'm going to finish my degree and get a job with benefits and like I should have done 18 years ago. Jump ship before it's too late!

If I were enterprising, at this point in time I'd - Agree this is a very risky period

[ In Reply To ..]
just seek to increase my own income as much as possible, *with as little investment as possible,* by developing a couple of good clients, no employees but (ideally) a backup IC MT for overflow/vacation. At least until I felt I answer my own questions with authority. Good luck.

Yeah. Don't. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks for the opinions - keysha

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the opinions but would love to hear from someone who has actually started an MT service and have been successful at it, as I don't agree that the smaller physician practices are all using Large MTSOs, as there are so many doctor offices out there and the market is really gettin started as in 2012 it is the law that all records become EHRs, and this should open up more physicians using MTSOs small or large. The large MTSO had to start off small as well and I am going to be positive about it and definitely not quit my day job until I see it being profitable but am willing to take the risk, as the worst thing that could happen is I will not get any clients and the startup is $0 to $100 and the TASP only charges me to use their service by the line. So if no dictations then I don't have to pay anybody anything, except my website and my phone bill. No huge startup costs, so not as risky as some may think especially since I will be keeping my day job while I start out on this venture and hope for the best with hard work and determination. Thanks again and if there is anyone who has done this please reply, would love to hear your opinions positive or negative.

Maybe none have started MTSO and been successful. Will - be interesting to see if get any replies. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Good for you, then, Keysha, and good luck. Please - let us know how you do. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I have started a transcription company and have been successful - Done
[ In Reply To ..]
See my post above starting with "Agreed." MTSOs charging 15 to 22 cpl? Maybe used to be, but that is changing. I have contracts with hospitals, surgery centers and clinics. On one account I was asked to cut my line rate. I have never been above 15 cpl, and now less than that. I subcontract to other MTs. It takes time to answer their questions, fill in their blanks, keep records, do invoices, pay MTs, etc., and all that takes away from time that you actually transcribe. Yeah, I can make $35/hr when I actually transcribe, but most of the time I am doing administrative stuff and am not able to transcribe. I spend a lot of time doing things I don't get paid for, or not paid very well.

Some of my accounts have gone to VR and point and click. Another has asked me to take a line rate cut. I know of this happening with large companies too.

Go for it if you think you can do it, but I'm leaving MT as soon as I can. Wish I'd done it years ago.

keysha - MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Take a basic business course. Many local universities and colleges offer them, as do many women's business groups. Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Starting A New Transcription Business
Oct 24, 2013

I am going to attempt to start my own transcription company but in the age of EHR Obamacare rules, how would I go about doing so? What are people charging these days? I am seeing per minute, per line, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Need Help-starting Up Own MT Business-advice Appreciated
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT business and have been in the process for about six months now.  I just do not want to get it up and running and realize that I forgot something or messed up somewhere down the line.  My main concern is the new HITECH Act that goes into effect in February.  I plan on having a couple of girls working for me from their homes and I am just confused on the exact rules and regulations that coincide wtih this new act.  Also, I need advice on the best way ...

Starting A Business, Info On Filing Taxes, FICA, Etc.
Jan 04, 2011

In starting your own transcription business, without using an accountant, how do I find out what I need to do in order to file taxes, FICA, etc.?  Is there one website that would give me the best information? Can't afford an accountant for now. Thanks so much! ...

Need Help! Starting Business. Need A Decent Line Count/invoice
Jan 04, 2015

Line count and invoice software that would be compatible with Word 2003.  Ideas?  THANKS!!  Free is always good, but I'll pay a bit if need be. ...

Getting A 2nd MT Job - Thoughts?
Mar 25, 2010

I graduated from school last year and have worked as an IC with a company for 3 months.  I was told I'd be the sole MT on one small Ortho account, but now I know I was lied to.  Other MTs grab everything out of the queue and I'm lucky if I make $23/day, many days I get 0 jobs.  The office manager is so clueless that she is entirely unhelpful, and after several attempts I've given up trying to get the work I was promised when hired. I need the money so I can't ...

Any Thoughts?
Sep 09, 2010

I have been researching all the online MT Courses and have decided that the 2 I seem to think are the most reputable are TRSInstitute and Career Step. Any input from anyone on any schools? Or should I even be considering this field right now? I have read alot of discouraging posts. TRSI includes Speech recognition in its course, unlike alot of the other shcools. Thanks! ...

What Are Your Thoughts On
Oct 28, 2010

One of the posts below mentioned something happening in the next two months or by the end of the year (can't find the post now).  Also, I recall some administrative e-mail alluding to the same, the e-mail about how CBay is poised to take over more Medquist assets.  Is something going to happen to us that we should know about? ...

What Are Your Thoughts On This?
Apr 27, 2011

I think that when we edit an ASR document, we should be compensated at our transcription rate for every keystroke we do to make the report ready for the client.  Since Medquist is so accurately able to calculate our keystrokes, mouse clicks and so on, it should be easy for them to determine how many extra keystrokes were required to prepare the final report.  ...

Some Thoughts For Those Considering MT
May 01, 2011

Several people have asked me if I think MT is still a viable career.  Coincidentally, today as I was cleaning out some files, I found notes from a seminar I gave and thought I would summarize a few of the thoughts, hoping they might be of value to someone out there.  (Moderator, if you don't feel this is appropriate, please just delete the post.)  First, there are three "myths" to consider:  1.  The myth that medical transcription is easy money.  Many of the no ...

Any Thoughts On MD-IT
Jun 09, 2011

Anyone have experience with MD-IT? TIA. ...

What Are MTs Thoughts On This? Sm
Sep 10, 2011

If Obama's job act goes through and employers are rewarded for hiring the unemployed, do you think that will make a difference to the companies that off shore and cause the hiring of more US MTs? ...

DQS 7.1, Need Some Serious Thoughts
Oct 22, 2012

On DQS 7.1 I keep hearing how the SR is so much better.  What the heck?  I haven't a clue why anyone thinks this, but I have a trusted friend who agrees her SR has improved dramatically.  My accounts have dropped dramatically in the SR, which leads me to believe that this is potentially due to something my CCM might not have done correctly with our accounts.  We've never had gender discrepancy noted, although this is supposed to happen.  We've never had cl ...

Thoughts On The
Jun 03, 2013

Why not just make it 100% and  get it over with? I guess they figure it's kind of like killing frogs in boiling water.   ...

Any Thoughts
Dec 04, 2013

I typed as doctor dictated, ". . . pee off . . . " Audit dinged me and changed to, "urinated off." What should have been done?  I thought we were not to change what they said. ...

Some Thoughts On
May 20, 2014

Today I was just wondering if the honorees of other appreciation weeks (nurses, lab techs, housekeepers, basically every health-care subgroup) were required to participate in puzzles, games, essays, and otherwise jump through hoops, to get "prizes",  usually a trinket or a low denomination gift card? Maybe I'm just sensitive because I've been doing this long enough to remember when gifts, festive meals, respect and  all-year-long good pay (the best gift of all) were freely gi ...

Thoughts, Anyone?
Jun 21, 2014

Any Thoughts On This...
Jun 28, 2014

Do you guys think the minimum line count will be going up soon? Some states have raised their minimum wage. Trying to figure out how some of us would be able to hold on if it were to go up any higher than 150/hr. Barely able to meet that as it is. Just don't think makeup pay is something they're very happy about having to provide either. So wondering if this will be the end of the line for those of us not meeting production, though not for lack of hard effort. ...

Thoughts On VR-
Jul 06, 2014

of fixing report after report.  VR was sold with fradulant representation. The way this has continued is the MT is to "fix" these reports to the facilities specs and regardless of what comes over, the end report is to be correct.  Therefore, we are made to be our own worst enemy.  I have been saving reports before/after for quite some time and keeping stats on how many incorrect VR words I have to correct, how much formatting I have to do per the specs of the facility, t ...

My Thoughts
Dec 04, 2014

Why don't they just pay the MTs a decent wage instead of paying all the extra QA people for all the extra audits? This is a convoluted mess - transparent to who? Einstein? They need a standard blank submission policy. It is not fair to MLS like me who are not allowed to send any blanks versus those who can send up to 3 directly to the client. My pay will be dramatically impacted. Where is the difficulty factor? They have lied yet again. They really shot themselves in the ...

Softscript: Any Thoughts? NM
Apr 23, 2010

Just wondering. ...

Funny Thoughts
Aug 08, 2010

We have so much American work outsourced to India - India should be our 51st state! ...

Anyone Used M-Modal And Your Thoughts...
Aug 19, 2010

Would like any thoughts on this ... seems strange... ...

Some Thoughts On The S Markers
Sep 16, 2010

I was wondering why in the new 6.1 version, it takes more words to get an automatic S marker inserter (highlighting words then using the delete button).  I used to have to count the words and if 5 or more, used to place the S marker.  I wonder why now the difference.  Do you think the Q keeps track of how many S markers are generally given in our documents as their ASR system is developed, and now wants to give themselves another pat on the back, exclaiming how their stellar ASR s ...

My Thoughts And Ramblings...
Oct 09, 2010

Just the ramblings and observations of me.. The national I worked for the longest was MDI-MD and it truly was the best compared to everything else I had experienced as far as national companies.  The thing they did best was 1) pay the MT premium pay.  2) Offer bonus incentives that were obtainable frequently if the account was out of TAT which really made the pay nice. And 3) and probably most importantly figured out that for an MT to be productive and successful they needed to NOT be ...

Bayscribe ASR - Your Thoughts Please
Jan 26, 2011

What are your feelings about Bayscribe's automated speech recognition program? We have been using it now for 2 or 3 months..personally I think it sucks ... ...

ROI Testing - Any Thoughts?
Jun 01, 2011

Man I feel so bad!!!  I have typed radiology for 8 years.  I took the test and I failed.  I saw other posts on here of people who have had more experience than me and failed.  I took the extra time to look up all of that BOS stuff.  I am not sure where I went wrong.  I saw somewhere that they asked about their test results but couldn't get any answers.  I am feeling .   I haven't ever scored low on audits and such, so I am second guessing my ...

IC Right Out Of School? Thoughts Please!
Jul 27, 2011

I need some help.  Ok, I have a BA in Psychology, and am soon to be a grad from MTEC.  I have a friend from church who's Dr's office would be willing to hire me as an IC.  However, I'm a little freaked out by that b/c I would not have anyone to check my work, which to me is like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I don't know if in that case I would pay someone to review my work, or how that would work. I just sent away for a book on being an independant consul ...

What Are Your Thoughts On M Moday?
Nov 29, 2011

x ...