A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Greed in the MT business - Former TRCR MT

Posted: May 04, 2010

I believe greed has taken over the transcription industry.  If the client is charged so much per line, does he only have to pay half for voice recognition?  I doubt it.  The voice recognition should have been a tool for the transcriptionist to be able to produce a lot more lines . . . instead I believe it is so the higher ups can line their pockets with gold and stomp on the MLS.  Transcend is now sooooo greedy they are sending almost half of the work overseas at night.  Wonder if the HMA corporate is aware of that. 

The MTSO's dirty little secret - concerning VR

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSO cuts the MT's pay in order to edit VR reports. But some of the MTSO's clients have absolutely no idea that their reports are on VR. So the client is paying full price, but the MTSO has drastically cut their own internal costs of getting that transcription done.

Not only that, but how much you wanna bet that -sm - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]
most of the clients who insist on USA-only transcription, are trully actually GETTING USA-only transcription? Betcha dollars to donuts that half the "USA-transcribed" work in this country is being done in India, and those bozo CEOs at the medical centers don't have a clue.

there needs to be some regulation, monitoring.sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs have turned this profession into an unethical shame.

good news is - the only resolve is for facilities to take back control, hire their own and SAVE A BUNDLE not taking it up the wazoo anymore.

You are correct about US work - jm0405

[ In Reply To ..]
Focus had all QA and most of the MTs in India. They had a 1-800 # for hospitals to call so they had no idea where these people are located. When Nuance took over, initially, to avoid losing accounts, they did this thing - India type Indian hospitals and US type US hospitals. I am guessing they were trying to get around contractual issues.

Siance contracts only with hospitals not JCAHO accredited so they get around US laws with HIPAA compliance - nobody to enforce it.

so, how to clients reports get on VR if the client does not do it? - I do not get that. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Very easy thing to do for the sneaky MTSOs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSO has the client's dictation voice files in their own (the MTSO's) system. Then, the MTSO runs those voice files through their VR engine and then pays their MT peanuts to edit them.

The client has no idea whatsoever that their voice files are going through this MTSO's VR engine then MT editing process. The MTSO doesn't tell them, after all the client is still getting back the finished product...the one which they are paying FULL PRICE for.

The only difference is now the MTSO has figured out a way to cut their own internal transcription costs in half (or more). Thus, more profit for the MTSO, the client still pays full price, but it's harder work and less pay for the MT.
Your logic is flawed - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The facility must have equipment compatible with the MTSO's SR engine. No doubt, the HIM at the facility is aware of the SR engine. The dictator, however, may not be aware that his dictation is going through the SR engine. Most MTSOs have a mix of SR and straight, depending on what the client wants and what type of reports and dictators are suitable to be run through SR
My logic is not flawed - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
You and I are talking about two different things.

I am talking about the MTSOs who either download the client's dictations onto their (the MTSO's) system, or who actually supply the client with dictation space on their (the MTSO's) system.

Granted, there are a few MTSOs who have clients where the MTSO's MTs actually go into the client's own dictation system. But the majority of the MTSO's have their own dictation systems and/or download the voice files from the client's system onto their own (the MTSO's) system.

These are the MTSOs that I am talking about, not the ones who supply MTs to actually go into the client's own system.
this MO by certain MTSOs, if it is true, is much - big no-no
[ In Reply To ..]
too risky for the MTSOs:

It needs only 1 MT to blow the whistle to the client.

Did you ever think of that?

This is blatant fraud by the MTSOs, they will lose their licence, or whatever, who would do this?
The client is too dazzled and blinded by all the bells - and whistles to even suspect it. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
What you say here is true, except..... - VRMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The price per line for transcription has gone down, down, down. The only way that MTSOs can compete with the larger companies who offshore and charge the client say 7-8 cpl is VR. There simply is no other answer.

I truly doubt any client is going to continue to pay 10, 11, 12, more cpl when they can go just about anywhere else and get the work done cheaper, either through offshoring or VR, they don't care. What you say is true, they probably do not realize the company is using VR for their dictation. Why should they care? If they can pay 8 cpl for a finished product, so be it.

This is why our pay has been reduced so drastically. If you are doing straight typing, still making 9 cpl or more, I doubt that is going to last too much longer. Transcription is just done a lot cheaper these days.

Also, companies looking to hire for straight typing on that "BIG NEW ACCOUNT" they just obtained is going to go on VR in less than a year. At that point, half the MTs will be let go. This is why everyone is hiring ICs now instead of employees.

I have also noticed that some companies are not finding the VR to be all it was marketed to be, and there are many MT jobs being paid by the hour again. Go figure.
True, Some know, Some don't, most don't care. Not fraud at all. NM - Lowest $$ for finished product is all they want
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Can you prove your assumption?" I really doubt - I do not believe this

[ In Reply To ..]
that "some" MTSOs can get away with this.
If other MTSOs charge their clients much less for VR, then it is common knowledge, also for the clients.

An MTSO who hides this from its clients and is exposed will lose its previlege to do business.

This is fraud.
Much too risky.

paranoia will destroy ya - still an mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Are y'all seriously this paranoid?

One of the reasons rates have gone down is that hospitals started watching their pennies a lot closer when it comes to MT.

An MTSO would be INSANE to try and scam their clients. How much do you think their business would grow if this is the type of ethics they have.

Hospitals say- How can I get it CHEAPER? When bidding on accounts now, we have to include a bid for voice recognition as well as straight typing. It's not done on the down-low. That's just absurd!

And most contracts include a clause if they do not want their work done off-shore and I dont know too many MTSOs who would risk losing lucrative accounts for scamming their clients.

I'm just gobsmacked at the amount of paranoia and outright disdain for those people who actually make it possible for you to work at home.

No can't prove it, but here is how I know - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously no, I cannot "prove" it. But I had an extremely good working relationship with one of my previous managers, really more like a friend than a manager. And she was the one who told me this.

She said that they (the MTSO company) contract with the hospital to do their transcription and the only restrictions usually put on that contract is whether or not the work can or cannot be sent off shore.

Otherwise, as long as they don't off shore, she said that exactly HOW the company gets the transcription done is up to them, whether by MTs doing straight transcription or by using a combination of VR and having an MT edit the VR files. Or her example to me was, "We could use monkeys if we wanted, as long as they are American monkeys on American soil, and can produce a quality document."

Either way, the client gets back the finished product that they are paying FULL PRICE for. The MTSO just never tells them exactly HOW they are getting the dictations transcribed...as long as the work is not sent off shore, it's really none of the client's concern as to exactly HOW they are getting it done.

So that's how I know that they're doing this.

Very Unfortunate - Tammy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am the owner of Premier Office Technologies, Inc., and I am totally appalled that any MTSO would even think to do that. I would never! Shame on any MTSO who would be that deceitful.

Just my comment about this issue. My appologies to the MTs who are affected by this.

Thank you, Tammy! - Wish I worked for YOU

[ In Reply To ..]
We appreciate the kind MTSOs so much - as you can see by this board there are not a lot of you out there. :-) Bet your MTs love you!

Its like when banks got ATMs - saved them $ on hiring - tellers, then they want to charge us for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
using the ATM machine! I'm beginning to hate banks with a PASSION.

The only reason I still have a Mastercard is so I can save money buying some things online. So they want us to be all green and go paperless. Fine me me, then I don't have to buy stamps.

WRONG! Turns out my bank doesn't send monthly email reminders about statements. So, like 2 months later, I happen to notice I haven't made a M/C payment in a while. Go on line to look it up, and oh, JOY - they've slapped me with TWO $40 late-fees.

The MTSOs are all the same, too. Cr@ppy quality of recording software. When I can't hear something, I get dinged if I send it through as a blank, and dinged if I send it to QA. If I complain, I just get more of the bad reports to try to fumble my way through.

Between that, and the latest lousy insurance company they've saddled us with, which pays for basically NOTHING, I'm just about ready to explode. Just got a HUMONGOUS doctor bill today (for just a routine, cursory physical exam.) I was expecting a standard co-payment, but instead, received a bill today for close to $1,000. I was so infuriated, I had to shut off the PC (so I wouldn't take a baseball bat to it) and go for a long walk to cool off.
And I guess if I want to eat next month, I'll have to consider eating my cats.

I blame the hospitals... - J

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospitals have to employ greed and stinginess with almost all departments in order to function, especially if they want to pay doctors, nurses and administrators the big bucks they all feel they deserve. The other peon workers get the crumbs, but at least it is made up somewhat by benefits. Hospitals are now getting their documentation done nearly free and I don't think any of them give a cr@p whether it's done here, India or Mars, as long as it suits their bottom line.

They have to "cut costs" so they can have even more - management, which is so chic, you know. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Greed in the business - cg

[ In Reply To ..]
The hospitals I have spoken to do not know they are being offshored nor that they are using VR. They did not want it, but they have it anyway and I am sure they are not getting a cut in charges!

Who gave you this information? Did you ask - not probable

[ In Reply To ..]
right person?

Everything regarding the relationship between MTSO and client has to be put down in a written and signed contract, like MTs have to sign a contract about do's and don'ts.

It does not work like you think.

if they can do anything w/o detection, what makes you think they would NOT? - they inflate line counters...so? NM

[ In Reply To ..]

A combination of things has killed MT. - Slash

[ In Reply To ..]
Certainly greed is at the bottom of it.

VR requires not only MTs but IT personnel to design, write, modify, debug, operate, and maintain the VR system. Those big IT salaries have to come from someplace (without increasing overall costs) so somebody else will have to take a big cut. Voila, MTs!

But there are also the parasites in India and elsewhere who should be taking care of their own people. And consolidation has swallowed up a lot of good smaller companies with low overhead (competition) for no good reason except to line the pockets of a few "professional managers" who demand outrageous salaries simply because they "manage" large companies (the bigger the better!).

Another point - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Think of it this way. An MTSO is an independent contractor with regards to the relationship with their client. As a true IC, the MTSO is only responsible to the client for the end result, not the method of getting the job done. The contract between the two may stipulate price and TAT, offshore vs onshore, etc., but may not even address the method.

No matter what their excuse is, it doesnt make what - theyve been doing to us right. -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, not right - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I was just answering the question as to how they can "fool" their clients. The point is that they are true ICs and their clients are not mandating the method, likely have no care to know how the product, the reports, are processed, as long as they end up in the agreed format and agreed timeframe.

Let's face it. We are their pawns. Whenever you work for someone else, it is likely that that person will take advantage of you to the limit of what they can. It is nice that some "bosses" are nicer than others. It is difficult that some "bosses" are more ruthless and manipulative than others. Fairness has very little to do with it, actually. I agree that greed is what drives not only this business, but most business.

Similar Messages:

Corporate Greed
Sep 06, 2012

A prime example of that is when I work every holiday for time and 1/2, but low and behold, there is mysteriously no work in the system.  Because they press a button and send it all overseas for some poor sap to do for 5 cents a day, instead of paying me time and 1/2.  There is no appreciation for the MT and our expertise anymore.  Used to at least get an Xmas card, not even that anymore.... :(   Save Yourself! ...

MM - Corporate/American Greed
Oct 17, 2013

All that matters to companies nowadays is how much money they can make for their stockholders and for their yearly bonuses.  They dont care about the American worker anymore.  In India, when they want to fire you, they have to take into account the family you are taking care of, will you be able to get another job.  America?  They will throw you out on the street without a notice and not give a darn. In my town, the main hospital wants to let Chinese women come over to Ameri ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...

Look At This-get Out Of The Business While Ya Can
Aug 23, 2012

Looks like according to this article that Nuance really did try to buy out MModal:   MModal to Disclose Data to Settle Suits Over Acquisition By Jef Feeley - Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM CT Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments Print QUEUE Q MModal Inc., a maker of medical- transcription software, agreed to make more disclosures about a $1.1 billion buyout offer by a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to settle investor lawsuits over th ...

Does Anyone Know If QMT Or GCT Are Still In Business?
Feb 20, 2014

A friend said her work load dropped at GCT and she was asked to take a PRN status, but suspected the EPIC system the hospital started.  I know that QMT is also affilicated with the same hospitals. Does anyone have work? ...

How Many Of You Had To Get A Business Licence
Oct 13, 2009

I am curious how many of you had to get a business licence.  I live in OR and was told by the tax lady that I need to get a city business license.  Does everyone have to have one.  I keep getting surveys as though I am a business with employees (how many employees, size of building I run my business from, etc).  So am just curious how many others got this and is it a requirement as an IC to have the license. (just wonder if my tax lady was wrong). ...

One Good Way To Get Out Of This Business.
Mar 24, 2010

Fed up with it?  Also fed up with the usual job sites that repeat the same ones over and over?  Go to your state's Employment Commission web site.  Click on site for state job postings.  Put in your job criteria, and make sure you click the one that says G for General Public.  Put in full/part time, etc.  You can even select the county in which you wish to work.  When the jobs are posted you usually have 10 days to do an online application and can submit ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Anybody Else In The Letter Business?
Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to stream ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Business Licenses
Sep 28, 2010

I live in Florida and am trying to obtain a business license for medical transcription.  My county and city do not give them out and they tell me to call the State of FL, I have called about 10 different numbers and no one can help me.  If there is anyone out there who has a business license for medical transcription in the State of FL, please let me know how you went about getting one.  ...

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

MedQuist The Business
Mar 08, 2011

Does anyone know how many people MedQuist employs?  How many of them are MTs?  How many hospital accounts does MQ have?  Is it the largest MTSO in the US?  Just curious. ...

Anyone Using Hughesnet Business?
Jul 23, 2011

Trying to figure out a way to live in the country and still work.  I know people have said that using satellite such as wildblue has been a disaster for them, but I see that hughesnet has business plans.  With these you get a larger dish, faster speeds, and what sounds like a more stable connection.  It looks to me like it could work, hoping for some input from anyone who has tried it or is presently working with it.  Thanks so much.  ...

Start Your Own Business
Jul 29, 2011

I am really tired of working for other people and have them treat you like dirt all the while making millions of bucks off our hard work. Has anyone looked into starting their own company?  What resources are required and how does one go about licensing, getting clients, etc.? Any information on this topic would be helpful.  Please don't reply if you have anything negative to say.  Just want some good clean advice  :) ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Is Transcript USA Still In Business? Nm
Apr 23, 2012

nm ...

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
May 14, 2012

Call me naive, but I just saw a popup ad that seems to be advertising that the county where I live has 5 international offices.  I don't know why I'm surprised to hear this, but it seems pertinent to our concerns regarding offshoring.  Maybe we should learn how to join them if we can't beat them?  Maybe global marketing is the subject we all could profit from studying?? "In addition to the U.S.-based International Marketing Division, the *** has offices in Californ ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

How Do They Stay In Business?
May 18, 2013

I've read post after post after post, in addition to having my own experience with Nuance and I really wonder how this company as well as M*Modal stay in business.  I guess even though people are quitting left and right or being fired for not having 99% accuracy, there must be more people waiting in the wings to take their places. I originally came from Transcend prior to the acquisition by Nuance and although I can't say that company was the best either, IMO, it was better than ...

Do We Ever Get A Raise In This Business?
Jul 08, 2013

Two years at the company and they ignore my emails regarding raises. ...

Diskriter Still In Business
May 05, 2014

thought they were long gone.   ...