A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Rather than claim 'it's just business'... - Sincerely wondering

Posted: Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs.

Look at the reactions - here

[ In Reply To ..]
It stinks, but the work still needed cleared off the system. If WM told, let's say 20, 20 MTs that they would be laid off on Friday and told them this, let's just go with Monday, how much work do you think the MTs would have done? How many would have quit on the spot? How many would have purposely made errors or somehow damaged the end product for the client?

How many would have spent the week making irate phone calls and calling newspapers and creating havoc?

No, not all of them likely would have. Some would have handled it differently. But as you can read here, if even ONE decided to act out on patient records, the impact that would have.

On the business side, WM had to get a job done. They knew the account was gone and they knew they still had a portion of the contract to honor. They had to ensure the job got done.

I would imagine the MTs that remain, I believe someone said there was still work left on the system when they signed off, those MTs may know they are done, or those MTs may be ones who were spared and given any openings that may have been available.

The phrase "going postal" is why most businesses don't tell specific people they will be laid-off (as opposed to larger companies often have rumors of lay-offs coming but no one knows if it will be them or not- BTDT).

You are so wrong. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
1. It is SO wrong for a company to have the attitude that they won't tell employers to brace themselves for a layoff because they might quit on the spot. TRANSLATION: We'll use them til we don't need 'em anymore.

2. Most employers DO give warnings of layoffs. Have you not watched the news or read newspapers for the last few years?? Google the phrase "announces layoffs."

SEATTLE TIMES in 2008: Employees were told The Times will close its suburban news bureaus in Bellevue and Lynnwood, lay off almost all the reporters who work there and stop publishing zoned editions for the Eastside and Snohomish County. Vice President Alayne Fardella said in an e-mail to employees that up to 45 circulation workers, 30 newsroom employees and 24 advertising staff could be laid off. The exact number will depend on how many employees choose to accept buyouts and leave voluntarily, she said.

USA TODAY on 08/27/2010: USA Today "will be" laying off 130 workers, according to spokeswoman Heidi Zimmerman. That's from a workforce of about 1,500.

WHIRLPOOL on 08/19/2010: The Whirlpool Corp. refrigerator plant in Fort Smith has announced a new round of layoffs.
The company issued a statement saying that the LAYOFF WOULD BEGIN IN OCTOBER after production of counter-depth refrigerators ends. Whirlpool says workers were ADVISED LATE LAST YEAR of the layoff. Seasonal layoffs are to follow in November, when demand customarily weakens.

That's just the first 3 out of over 7 MILLION hits on announced layoffs. Granted a lot of them are repeated stories at different sources. The point is that is is NOT good business practice to treat your employees like dirt, and just because some employers do it, it shouldn't be accepted as commonplace. The people at WMX were treated very wrong and they have every right to voice their opinions, whether there are 10 people posting over and over or 100 posting once. It doesn't matter. They have a right to talk about how they feel.

Layoff announcements - PedalPshr

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe all those companies named there are UNION; they HAVE to give advance notice of layoffs. ALl others are 'at will.'

Lay-offs announced - does not mean

[ In Reply To ..]
the specific people being laid off were told it was them.

I spent a lot of time in defense contracting plants and we ALWAYS knew lay-offs were coming. They were announced- reducing force by XXX, etc. But until they came in on Monday morning (studies showed suicides rose when people were laid off on Friday) and handed you your pink slip, you had no clue it would be you.

So while your examples may be half true, it's the important half that's lacking.
You must not have read the whole post. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
In most of the examples that were cited, the people being laid off had to make choices between layoff and something else. A choice would indicate a personal advance knowledge of layoff.
I read it - and
[ In Reply To ..]
it also makes a difference when you're closing down a company. Not a lot of opportunity or point to sabotage then, is there?

From what I've read from some of the MTs on here, if I were an employee reading these posts, I'd want to know who they are just to be sure NOT to hire them.
And if you were king you would - what? And so what?
[ In Reply To ..]
If you were in a position to blah blah - but you aren't. So who cares? If I was the CEO of Wmx I'd give us all a raise! And if I won the lotto I wouldn't be here. If, if, if. Who cares?
Am I not? - laughing now
[ In Reply To ..]
You have no clue what position I might be in, and thank you for the laugh. You proved my point in a most excellent manner.

Enjoy your Saturday to the fullest!!

Oh Id love to go postal on that bunch. But, Im sure - somewhere, sometime, someone will. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

The potential for sabotage is a serious consideration. LOOK at the reactions here. NM - Nuff said.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

They should add to their SWAT team. - Fact seeking

[ In Reply To ..]
So that they have a cleanup crew. I know they have one, and I've been on the exact same thing at other companies. There are ways around suddenly locking unsuspecting employees out of the system and sending them stone-cold form E-mails.

SWAT - VetMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was SWAT and they demoted me back to MT/voice editor.

exactly - they have a right but no one has a right to disagree - fairness

[ In Reply To ..]
with any of them or you get banned and all posts removed.

All the companies you cited btw are multi million or billion dollar companies hundreds of times the size of WMX.

Just business - Former MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me preface my remarks by stating that we never did this with my business because we were very conscious of business ethics. However, the reason MTSOs do not give notice is because they want the MTs working up to the very last minute. They do not want to risk that the MTs will know they need to find another job and do so right away. They want to squeeze every last dime's production possible out of each worker. Is this selfish? Yep. Is it unethical? Yes, in my book it is, which is why I never did it. But plenty do, and my heart goes out to all who were affected. Indeed, it was because MT was turning everybody into typing machines that I chose to give up the business I owned. I have never regretted that choice. Thankfully I was old enough to collect retirement. God bless you all.

.... which is why none of us should feel any quilt at all - for giving not 1 minutes notice if we quit.

[ In Reply To ..]
KHARMA, and all that good stuff.

haha... make that Guilt, not "Quilt"! ;D - I dont know how to sew, anyway.

[ In Reply To ..]

They should tell the truth: "Its just GREED." - Rocky Raccoon - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Any business atty on the world would tell you - HR101

[ In Reply To ..]
that people that handle sensitive information are not given "notice". The only examples of notice are large unionized Fortune 100 companies that are closing a plant or mfg. You get laid off at the Bank - they give you a box and an hour to pack and you are gone. No hard feelings thats just the way it is.

In my 20+ years in business I have never worked for a company that told people "we are going to lay you off in 2 weeks". Just doesnt happen.

Some companies give notice - Long-time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked at a large Fortune 500 company where layoffs have been ongoing for more than 20 years. I was laid off 3 different times, and various friends and family members have been laid off. They give you an env which tells you whether you stay or go and you get 60 days to look for work within the company or you don't even have to come in for those 60 days and you get paid anyways and you also get severance pay so some companies do give notice and severance pay too. Just not the MT industry.

Similar Messages:

100% Successful With TAA Claim
Jun 21, 2010

I have read here that people would like to know when someone has been successful with a TAA claim. I have been 100% successful and am enrolled in school. I receive UI benefits. My school is 100% paid for. All of my books are paid for. I am given a supplies allowance per semester. I filed a claim, I was denied, I appealed, I won on appeal. The state of Colorado appealed again and their appeal was denied. There is a lot of paperwork to do, but that can only be filled out one sheet ...

Do I Have To Claim My Last PTO Check On UE?
Apr 21, 2013

I was laid off a few weeks ago and got my PTO check this week-end. Do I have to claim that on UE? ...

Does Anybody Remember The Claim
Aug 31, 2013

How in no more than 90 days, VR would be completely trained to put out perfect drafts?  What the happened to that?  I am going to throw that up to my TL, just for grins, every time they rake us over for critical errors, customer complaints and so on.  Yes, we are making the errors (or at least some of them) but with drafts getting worse, we are being set up! ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

Workman's Compensation Claim
Jul 14, 2010

Anyone ever filed a claim against MQ?  I don't even know how to go about it? Any help ...

What Is The Limited Hours You Can Claim For UE SM
Jan 18, 2013

So far I am 7.5 hours short due to NJA.  I have some PTO time avaialble.  I want to put a claim in to get started, because the last time I filed in October 2011 they held myr first week, and I did not get that money and went without pay.  I cannot go without pay, so I want to get the ball rolling on the partial UE, then I can get checks and not have to use PTO or worry, since I make about min wage nowadays anyhow. Sorry if this is confusing. ...

Can You Claim Unemployment If You Quit One Company
Jan 28, 2010

nm ...

Is There A Way To Only Claim Part Of A Shift Posted
Apr 05, 2010

I thought the CCM said that we would be able to claim part of a shift; if someone posted an 8 hour shift, but I can only work 4 of those hours, I could claim it and someone else might be able to claim the other 4. If anyone knows, it would save me about a week or more of time waiting for a response. Thanks! ...

Where Is The Code To Claim This Wasted Time
Mar 19, 2012

I got no code. ...

Weekly Claim Questions For Partial UE
Jul 18, 2013

I just got off the phone with my state's UE office.  I was told that if I work more than 32 hours in a week, I will not receive partial UE for that week.  One of the questions asked when filing for a weekly claim by phone is:   During the week, did you miss work that was scheduled for you?  Answer "YES" if you did not work all of the hours that were available for you with your current employer.   If I "release" myself from work due to NJA, am I missing "work that ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

On Taxes, Does Anyone Claim The Home Office Deduction?
Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home).  ...

To All MTs Who Claim To Make More Money Than Woman With BS Degrees.....
Jun 13, 2012

Those of you who claim to make TONS OF MONEY TYPING....  You are not straight typing MTs under regular circumstances IF I believe you...and I don't.   You probably work 7 days a week, all hours of the day like most MTs.  You DO NOT work a regular 8-hour day, 5 days a week and make that much money.  If that were true...there would be much more competition.  The only perk is being at home.  Period...End of story.  Stop trying to sell me your ocean front pro ...

MMMModal's Ad From Monster. Check It Out. Their Claim Of Respect Makes Me-
Feb 05, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist About the Job         We invite you to join the most talented and knowledgeable workforce in the business by introducing M*Modal, the new brand of our industry-leading technology organization. Together, the combination of our collective organizations – MedQuist, Spheris, CBay, M*Modal, Poiesis and others – will enhance the power of clinical documentation to improve patient care.   M*Modal is currently seeking medical trans ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Those Posters Who Claim DIT Has Not Paid Them - SM
Jan 13, 2010

Please contact me about your unpaid work with DIT.  I want to make sure they resolve their pay issues if they are going to advertise jobs here. Moderator   ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...

Look At This-get Out Of The Business While Ya Can
Aug 23, 2012

Looks like according to this article that Nuance really did try to buy out MModal:   MModal to Disclose Data to Settle Suits Over Acquisition By Jef Feeley - Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM CT Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments Print QUEUE Q MModal Inc., a maker of medical- transcription software, agreed to make more disclosures about a $1.1 billion buyout offer by a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to settle investor lawsuits over th ...

Does Anyone Know If QMT Or GCT Are Still In Business?
Feb 20, 2014

A friend said her work load dropped at GCT and she was asked to take a PRN status, but suspected the EPIC system the hospital started.  I know that QMT is also affilicated with the same hospitals. Does anyone have work? ...

How Many Of You Had To Get A Business Licence
Oct 13, 2009

I am curious how many of you had to get a business licence.  I live in OR and was told by the tax lady that I need to get a city business license.  Does everyone have to have one.  I keep getting surveys as though I am a business with employees (how many employees, size of building I run my business from, etc).  So am just curious how many others got this and is it a requirement as an IC to have the license. (just wonder if my tax lady was wrong). ...

One Good Way To Get Out Of This Business.
Mar 24, 2010

Fed up with it?  Also fed up with the usual job sites that repeat the same ones over and over?  Go to your state's Employment Commission web site.  Click on site for state job postings.  Put in your job criteria, and make sure you click the one that says G for General Public.  Put in full/part time, etc.  You can even select the county in which you wish to work.  When the jobs are posted you usually have 10 days to do an online application and can submit ...

Greed In The MT Business
May 04, 2010

I believe greed has taken over the transcription industry.  If the client is charged so much per line, does he only have to pay half for voice recognition?  I doubt it.  The voice recognition should have been a tool for the transcriptionist to be able to produce a lot more lines . . . instead I believe it is so the higher ups can line their pockets with gold and stomp on the MLS.  Transcend is now sooooo greedy they are sending almost half of the work overseas at night.  ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Anybody Else In The Letter Business?
Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to stream ...

Business Licenses
Sep 28, 2010

I live in Florida and am trying to obtain a business license for medical transcription.  My county and city do not give them out and they tell me to call the State of FL, I have called about 10 different numbers and no one can help me.  If there is anyone out there who has a business license for medical transcription in the State of FL, please let me know how you went about getting one.  ...