A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mayo Hospital cutting 188 transcriptionists - OCMT

Posted: May 30, 2014

In case anyone hadn't seen this.  In brief:

Nearly 200 jobs in western Wisconsin are being cut, in a cost-saving measure by Mayo Clinic Health System.

The company says it will contract out 188 medical transcriptionist jobs by Nov. 1 to Amphion Medical Solutions, based in Madison.

Mayo said the move will save them 40 percent in expenses and it will try to re-assign affected employees to other openings within the company. It says Amphion will also discuss openings within their business.

“It's not good news, but hopefully it ends up being a number that our labor force can absorb,” Workforce Development Economist Scott Hodek said.

Medical transcriptionists convert voice recorded reports and physician statements into written ones.

Hodek said it's too early to know the effect of the cuts, but the area's overall job outlook is good.

If any of you reading this are affected by this, you have my sympathy and best wishes.  

Makes me sick - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Who believes the Mayo Clinic will see a 40% savings? Does anybody ever come back and actually prove that nonsense?

They probably do save this much because....sm - My thoughts

[ In Reply To ..]
1. They are paying the vendors less than the MTs.
2. They no longer have to provide sick days and vacation days.
3. They no longer have to give the across the board raises to the MTs.
4. They can save resources used for things like tech support for MT computers, administration overseeing, etc.

Meanwhile the CFO probably will get a raise for this cost-cutting initiative!

40% to the CEO, CFO, and any other initials... - Valley Girl

[ In Reply To ..]
Bye bye American middle class, took a Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry...

I was a mayo transcriptionist - who has been impacted

[ In Reply To ..]
Both the southwestern region and the southeastern region of Mayo Clinic Health System cut their transcription positions due to outsourcing. The southwestern region went with Precyse and the southeastern went with amphion. The supervisors were kept on to answer the phone, check in the work, type letters, etc. All transcriptionists were offered jobs with the outsourcing company. I though was fortunate enough to get a job in coding within Mayo as I had just became certified with my RHIT.

One more thing - about this

[ In Reply To ..]
I forgot to say that that is the southwestern and southeastern region of minnesota. The southwestern region is where it started. We were also offered something called priority placement which means that any job I apply for I get an automatic interview as long as I qualify. We also got severence packages unless we found a job within Mayo.

That sux! And until now, they'd been hiring - doing a lot off hiring. Boo, Mayo! :(

[ In Reply To ..]
Those of us still employed as MTs are living on borrowed time, I'm afraid.

(Typo: It's "of", not "off.) - I. M. Tired

[ In Reply To ..]

want to justify 'sux'? - anon NM

[ In Reply To ..]
N-M

That's why I'm leaving MT for good - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I currently work for Amphion and we acquired Mayo MTs in April. I got Mayo accounts as well. Not a fan (no offense Mayo MTs but 65 pages of account specs is ridiculous!!)

I cannot in good conscious work for any company that outsources to save money. I hate that in-house MTs are getting their wages slashed in half (or more!) and the fact that I'm doing their same work for less pay also! Both in-house MTs and at-home MTs are getting screwed. I was absolutely livid when I found this out and thank God I found another non-MT, not even in healthcare at all, new job that I start in June. I cannot log off fast enough!

That being said, good luck to all you Mayo MTs coming to Amphion. I really hope you all have a good experience.

Mayo MTs - at Amphion

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that would have been the southeastern minnesota region that went with amphion. All transcriptionists were offered jobs with the outsourcing company, which promised to keep everything the same. I have heard from a few transcriptionists that went with the outsourcing company and there pay was not kept the same, they are typing different doctors and now working a weekend day.

That promise is ALWAYS short-lived. Pay only - stays the same til they get up - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to speed with your hospital's accounts, then you get shifted to a boatload of new accounts you know nothing about, your line requirement goes up, your QA requirement becomes ridiculous, and your pay gets cut in half if you're lucky, and cut more if you're not.

That's why I am leaving - I would like to

[ In Reply To ..]
commend you for your high morals in standing up for the wrongs done to the Mayo MTs and did not want to be part of those MTs losing their jobs. We all know this is how it works and the damage that is done to those that lose their jobs or go with the MTSO. I would be a great lesson to the MTSO if all the MTs that worked on those accounts did the same thing and they were not able to meet their "obligatory lies" to the Mayo.

Thanks - it has been a journey

[ In Reply To ..]
It is very tough to see a department that I had been a part of for nearly 5 years fall apart. They kept the supervisors on so that made it even harder as the evening when that I worked with got stuck up and arrogant because she was not getting laid off and I was. Hopefully coding at Mayo does not go the way that transcription did but supposedly they dont outsource any coding right now. I figure anything can happen and at least I am getting experience in a field that seems to be growing and have a lot of opportunities. Precyse, the vendor my region went with, also off shores a lot of their work and I wont work for a company that off-shores.
If it's any consolation, your supe's stuck-up 'tude - will be short-lived. Most of the - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
time, the supes just get used for transition, and once that's finished, they're even more likely to get the boot than the bought-out MTs are, especially since they're higher-paid.

Forgot to mention I'm an at-home MT - always have been

[ In Reply To ..]
But I still cannot work for any company that outsources. I feel bad for all the MTs sent home and/or losing their jobs and at-home MTs like me (been at home since 2008, never worked in house) who are doing the same work for less pay. It sucks for both sides! I figured out a few years ago that in-house MTs being outsourced to home hate at-home MTs like me. I know I did not personally myself do that to them, but now I can understand their mentality and that's why I'm getting out of MT for good. I cannot imagine what 2015 will bring.

But I still do hope any Mayo MTs who come to Amphion will have a good experience and don't get too screwed over.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Was just told - that my in-house MT job

[ In Reply To ..]
may be gone in a couple of years, so I'm trying to go back to school, get into IT and get the heck out of MT.
At least you (hopefully) have a couple of years. - My dept. only got about 15 min. warning. (NM)
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Info. Needed On Transcriptionists Who Work In The Hospital.
Mar 10, 2010

Hi all, I was just wondering what a transcriptionist in a hospital makes per hour compared to working for a large transcription company at home.  The job I am seeing is for a part time transcriptionist, so I am assuming no benefits would come with it, not sure.  Thanks for any information! ...

Mayo Clinic
Apr 15, 2015

Does anyone currently work at Mayo Clinic doing transcription? Wondering how the work is and if there are a lot of ESL doctors. I am not talking about the subsideries in WI, MN where they outsourced to Amphion last year. I am talking about Mayo Clniic in Rochester. Thank you in advance for any info.  ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Anyone Work At The Mayo Clinic?
Dec 20, 2014

Looking for feedback/information on working as an MLS or QC/QA at the Mayo Clinic. Thank you. ...

Mayo Clinic Hiring
Feb 15, 2015

This is for overflow.  Can train & work remotely.  Since we can't post URLs here go to indeed dot com and search "Medical Transcriptionist" for listing.  It's nice to see at least ONE hospital is hiring and eliminating the middle man!   Med/Surg Transcriptionist Job  Mayo Clinic  287 reviews - United States Requires successful completion of a vocational or associates degree program in medicaltranscription or&nbs ...

Confusion About The Mayo Clinic
Feb 23, 2015

Does anyone know what the latest status of the Mayo Clinic is, with regards to medical transcriptionists?  I remember they laid off something like 118 MT's last summer, and I believe someone here said they outsourced their work to Amphion.  So today I happened to look on the Mayo Clinic homepage under Jobs, and according to that, it says they're hiring "telecommute" MT's.  I can't find any mention of an MTSO... it appears to be a Mayo Clinic ad, not an MTSO ad ...

Anyone Ever Get A Job Offer From Mayo Clinic?
Mar 17, 2015

Wondering how long they take to get back once application is in "review". I'm interested in hearing from at home transcriptionists. Applied a month ago. Saw a status change on my application from "received" to "in review".  Any info? ...

For The MT Who Got Mayo Callback For Interview
Mar 20, 2015

about how you managed that feat. What are your qualifications that set you apart from all of us who also applied and heard nothing or got the sorry letter? ...

Brock's Osteotome And Mayo Bag
May 19, 2015

Both of these are in the same file....... hip hemiarthroplasty.  s/l Brox osteotome and s/l sterile Mayo bag. ...

Just Read Epic Is Taking Over Mayo Clinic Account-sm
Jan 22, 2015

What company has that?  Didn't they just recently outsource in the first place?   ...

Regarding Cutting Our Pay
May 21, 2010

THEY DISGUST ME!! ...

Archivus Cutting Pay? SM
Oct 26, 2010

Does this company hire and then after a quarterly review have QA pick your work apart and then tell you they can either terminate your contract or cut your pay.  Understand this has happened to more than one person.  Has anyone experienced this.  They told me I was doing awesome work, not they picked the work after and then tell me that in 2 weeks my contract will either be terminated or will have a reduced line rate.  This makes no sense.  I have 18 years experience.&nb ...

IS NUANCE CUTTING OUR PAY AGAIN?
Jun 13, 2014

As someone noted below, they are getting 2 cents. I am getting 4 cents per edited line. Is this being cut further? ...

Cast-cutting Term
Nov 07, 2009

"She had a fairly significant increase in pain.  We were concerned about the possibility of swelling inside the cast.  We cut it in a s/l "bi val" or "bioval" fashion and released some of the pain." Can anyone help with this one? ...

Need Help - Doc Says Five Five Bone Cutting Shaver...
Mar 05, 2010

how would you type this?  Any help appreciated - thanks! ...

What Is Up With All Of These Companies Cutting The Pay For Straight
Jun 07, 2011

I'm not understanding if a person was making 8 or 9 cents a line for straight transcription and then the account goes to voice rec and the pay is decreased for that, why is the pay for straight transcription also going down?  It's the same doctors, so why am I now suddenly worth 2 cents less to do straight transcription?  Personally, if it isn't VR worthy, then you would think that it would still be worth the 8 or 9 cents a line.  ...

Express Scribe Cutting Off
Apr 26, 2012

Have Express Scribe Pro, This week the last few seconds of a voice file are being cut off, don't know where to go in Menu to adjust this or fix it. Any suggestions. TIA ...

How About Cutting Out Some Corporate Bloat
Apr 17, 2013

How does that work for ya? Amy & Shah? Want to take a 40% pay cut like we did? ...

Questions About EMR & Cutting Out The Middleman
Jun 19, 2013

For those lucky enough to work directly for the client (no MTSO) are any EMRs set up for transcription, or do you subscribe to a service to send Word files?  Is it an easy setup?  The only thing holding me back from trying to get my own accounts again is having no tech help for problems that are bound to occur. Any recommendations for services to transmit files and what do they charge. I just can't keep working for .04 cents a line.  It's completely impossible to live ...

Cutting Edge Pay Plan Is Nothing More Than
Dec 13, 2014

own without having to do massive layoffs. The real underlying intention here is to have all work taken over by India. Quality and patient safety have nothing to do with it. Paying India workers mere pennies increases the bottom line. There is no public explaining to do or announce regarding massive layoffs. They will simply claim US workers quit on their own and they cannot find employees here in the US. I would love to know how much the person or persons were paid to think up this pla ...

Ortho Operative Note Help Please, He Is Cutting It Off .... Sm
Aug 18, 2010

Some *Daptik* was applied to the wound and the patient was placed in a soft cast.    I know this but he is cutting himself off and my mind has gone BLANK!!!   TIA ...

Cutting Hours Off Of Shift Differential
Sep 10, 2013

where is the incentive to work????? I only got 2 hours of it anyway so now I don't get any extra at all!!! ...

Cutting Shift Differentials Is A Preemptive Strategy (sm)
Dec 26, 2010

The recent reduction in shift differentials is the first phase of reducing the workforce during those hours.  You can expect there to be an eventual phase-out of the shift differentials altogether.  Why?  The ultimate goal is to utilize offshore vendors for that work.  This pressurized reduction in income opportunitywill cause some natural attrition:  Some will not be able to afford the pay loss, some will be upset and simply quit.  It will take a little time but ...

New Cutting Edge Paper Medical Chart!
Dec 04, 2014

It's satire, and yet so true.. ...

CCM Cutting Helper Pools So People Will Change Schedule
Sep 15, 2011

So had work for 2 days out of the week with no problems and then all of a sudden an email appears that help is needed for the weekend and also wanting people to change their schedules to the weekend.  All of a sudden, no jobs available appear.  Apparently, work is just cut off until people start volunteering to change their schedule or volunteering to cover hours on the weekend and when some poor schmoe changes their schedule or volunteers, all of a sudden we have work again.  Tot ...

If They Keep Cutting Benefits, Eventually, We'll Be Paying Them For The Honor Of Working For Th
Sep 10, 2013

Transcriptionists With ADD.... I Think Im One Of Them!
Feb 10, 2010

make a living being an MT?  In addition to how low our pay has gotten, and the myriad other problems that we all deal with, if you can't focus, do you think that is cutting into your finances as well? I've always had a suspicion that I have ADD.  Was a totally hyper kid.  Daydreamer in school.  High IQ (148), labelled as "gifted" in 1st Grade, yet with each passing year did less and less well in school.  Looked out the window and zoned out more than I paid att ...

When There Are No More US Transcriptionists...
Aug 19, 2013

M*Modal will call the shots.  No doubt they'll start jacking up prices to the clients then.  That's the way it usually works. Should only take a few more years.  Save a bit now, spend a lot more down the road.  Lol.  Shortsighted fools. ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...