A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Confusion about the Mayo Clinic - Jobless MT

Posted: Feb 23, 2015

Does anyone know what the latest status of the Mayo Clinic is, with regards to medical transcriptionists?  I remember they laid off something like 118 MT's last summer, and I believe someone here said they outsourced their work to Amphion. 

So today I happened to look on the Mayo Clinic homepage under Jobs, and according to that, it says they're hiring "telecommute" MT's.  I can't find any mention of an MTSO... it appears to be a Mayo Clinic ad, not an MTSO ad.  But, after being burned a few too many times, I'm highly suspicious and skeptical.

Has anyone heard anything about what's going on with Mayo, and if they've gone back to hiring MT's as full-time employees again, or is this an MTSO ad disguised to look like a Mayo ad?  If this is an MTSO, I'm not going to waste my time applying for it.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have on this!

Mayo Clinic - I saw that too

[ In Reply To ..]
I applied and have not heard anything back, except an e-mail showing positions that are available there, which are not MT jobs. I really don't know what the deal is. They probably got a million applications, like all of the other places, so who knows. I am seeking another MT job as the one I have now is low on work and I need a bit more. If you don't have a job, looking is horrible, as they never seem to answer you or send you directly to those stupid MTTest sites and expect you to slave over that and then either you're declined or never hear from them either. I sent in an application to a company and you wouldn't believe what they want you to do computer wise and then they said, it takes two weeks to process your application and then they will be in touch with you, if they feel you are a good candidate and heaven only knows what makes you a good candidate, with 20 years MT experience! I hate this. I am looking outside of MT for another PT job as well. I just cannot take this any longer. Now it seems, we have to be a computer programmer as well!

I've gotten pretty gun-shy about applying for - ANY MT job anymore....

[ In Reply To ..]
either they aren't really MT jobs at all, but some other job, but they listed it as MT because that's all management would pay for... i.e., they want a middle management person for the price of an MT. Not gonna get it.

I'm leery of the few inhouse jobs I occasionally see... the wording in the ads gives me the feeling the job is temporary, just until their point and click is up to speed. Already been there, done that, got the T-shirt on that one.

And all that leaves are MTSO's, and I'd rather never work again, than ever work for another MTSO.

I probably won't bother to apply to Mayo, because I'm suspicious of their ad after hearing about all the MT's they laid off last summer.

I've had the same experience in terms of what they want their so-called "MT" to be able to do. Some clueless employers seem to think MTs can do both full-time transcription and editing, in addition to managing other workers, doing graphic arts projects and bookkeeping, not to mention cooking, cleaning the bathrooms, running errands, and making great coffee.

Same here... - I have beeb getting the Mayo Clinic

[ In Reply To ..]
Sent to me via Indeed.com. They want you to train for it 4 to 5 weeks and it appears to be IC job, although it appears to pay hourly.

I have sent resumes for a couple of other jobs, other than MTSO, hospital and office and never heard back. My suspicion is that if these jobs are real, someone's friend of a friend of a friend gets them, so why bother.

Eventually there really won't be any "qualified" people to do this job so too bad.

Mayo Clinic has done that for years even when - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
they're not hiring just to have applications on hand if they should need someone. They are not hiring. I found this out over 5-6 years ago from a person who worked for them. Don't even bother.

Mayo Clinic - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for Mayo Clinic in Arizona in 2006. I actually worked in the hospital and was started at $19 an hour. They said to forget everything you had been taught about transcription and that you were going to learn to do it Mayo Clinic's way!!! I worked there 3 months, although because of the pay, I wished it could have worked out. I ended up moving back to Missouri where I am from

The VA tells you the same...'forget what you know, now it is the VA way." - notnew

[ In Reply To ..]
I also started at $19 also in 2006,at a so-called caring, not-for-profit hospital, yet they laid us all off after 3 years, so be lucky you still came away with a positive opinion after only 3 months.

I had contacted the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and did not feel that it really upheld its reputation. Then I thought maybe it was of an even higher standard there in Minneapolis...not so there either...even UCLA. They all want to have the work typed ASAP and for pennies. They don't care. they have to pay all the other top salary patient-care workers.
I was concerned that maybe the job ad was - placed by Amphion, and just made - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
to look like it was a Mayo Clinic ad for an actual Mayo Clinic employee. That's because I'd looked at Mayo ads years ago, and they wanted the training done on-site, and the small print was the at-home telecommuters still had to live in Minnesota. I'm a Californian - no WAY would I move to someplace like Minnesota! LOL

This latest ad says training is on-site unless you "live too far away". No mention of whether out-of-state was "too far away." Something just raised a red flag with me, even though I pored over that ad and also checked Mayo's home website. My now-suspicious nature when it comes to job ads tells me there was something they weren't telling us.

It just reaffirmed my belief that I refuse to look at ANY medical transcription job. There's just too much dishonesty in the entire field.
What "VA" told you that?? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine a VA telling you that because there is no "VA way" to transcribe. If you heard that, it was more likely from an MTSO, since nearly all VA transcription is outsourced.

Mayo - aching fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for an MTSO (not Amphion) and we are doing Mayo Clinic work. My best guess is they will continue to outsource.

Similar Messages:

Mayo Clinic
Apr 15, 2015

Does anyone currently work at Mayo Clinic doing transcription? Wondering how the work is and if there are a lot of ESL doctors. I am not talking about the subsideries in WI, MN where they outsourced to Amphion last year. I am talking about Mayo Clniic in Rochester. Thank you in advance for any info.  ...

Anyone Work At The Mayo Clinic?
Dec 20, 2014

Looking for feedback/information on working as an MLS or QC/QA at the Mayo Clinic. Thank you. ...

Mayo Clinic Hiring
Feb 15, 2015

This is for overflow.  Can train & work remotely.  Since we can't post URLs here go to indeed dot com and search "Medical Transcriptionist" for listing.  It's nice to see at least ONE hospital is hiring and eliminating the middle man!   Med/Surg Transcriptionist Job  Mayo Clinic  287 reviews - United States Requires successful completion of a vocational or associates degree program in medicaltranscription or&nbs ...

Anyone Ever Get A Job Offer From Mayo Clinic?
Mar 17, 2015

Wondering how long they take to get back once application is in "review". I'm interested in hearing from at home transcriptionists. Applied a month ago. Saw a status change on my application from "received" to "in review".  Any info? ...

Just Read Epic Is Taking Over Mayo Clinic Account-sm
Jan 22, 2015

What company has that?  Didn't they just recently outsource in the first place?   ...

For The MT Who Got Mayo Callback For Interview
Mar 20, 2015

about how you managed that feat. What are your qualifications that set you apart from all of us who also applied and heard nothing or got the sorry letter? ...

Brock's Osteotome And Mayo Bag
May 19, 2015

Both of these are in the same file....... hip hemiarthroplasty.  s/l Brox osteotome and s/l sterile Mayo bag. ...

Mayo Hospital Cutting 188 Transcriptionists
May 30, 2014

In case anyone hadn't seen this.  In brief: Nearly 200 jobs in western Wisconsin are being cut, in a cost-saving measure by Mayo Clinic Health System.The company says it will contract out 188 medical transcriptionist jobs by Nov. 1 to Amphion Medical Solutions, based in Madison.Mayo said the move will save them 40 percent in expenses and it will try to re-assign affected employees to other openings within the company. It says Amphion will also discuss openings within their business.&l ...

Confusion
Apr 05, 2013

I may be a total dunce about this but can somebody out there explain to me what the difference(s) are between employee, IC and statutory employee. I see all of these postings and am not sure what to think. ...

Punctuation Confusion
Jan 27, 2010

HEAD CT IMPRESSION Multiple regions of low density in both sides of the internal capsule, probably represent old white matter infarcts.  (Should there be a comma after capsule or not?  It makes sense with or without the comma)  ...

Venting About Confusion
Apr 16, 2010

This is what this doc says:  Certainly if there is any rhythms increase, worsen, blah, you know, whatever (chuckles), we will reevaluate at that time.  It doesn't make any sense and I don't even know what to type.  I'll probably get dinged on something by trying to make it make sense.  He's making me crazy.  ...

Education Confusion!
May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How c ...

Chaos And Confusion
Jul 22, 2010

on a conference call for a new account with multiple locations all wanting specific things.  My head is spinning.  I think I am officially losing my mind.  Of course this account has been NJA most of the day.  Let's just say there is no mercy.    ...

Confusion Over Mt Career
Nov 12, 2010

my company is laying off and since i will qualify for unemployment, my new plan is to finish school in an MT program. i have tried 2x in the past but could never set aside the time/money to do so. now i have found this board, and am a little confused by some of the comments. i had no intentions of working from home but rather a hospital or office setting. i have seen job postings around town and a government site says something to the effect of 11% rise through 2018. so with all that said, how ...

Dosing Confusion
Nov 24, 2010

I have heard this before with other meds and have no idea what the doc is talking about.  He dictates sodium bicarb nineteen fifty mg.  What does he mean?  1950 mg or 19/50 mg, or sodium bicarb19 50 mg.  I looked up sodium bicarb for the dosing and still don't know what he means.  Can someone help?  Thank you. ...

Credential Confusion
Apr 13, 2011

I have been looking at some ads for coding level I jobs at a local hospital but I have noticed this other places too.  They prefer an RHIA/RHIT credential but will accept a CCS.  Doesn't a person with a CCS have more indepth knowlege of actual coding than a RHIA/RHIT?  I have worked for 20 years as a transcriptionist and have had many supervisors with degrees and the RHIA/RHIT credential that were my boss but knew nothing at all about transcription.  Do the people hiring ...

Confusion Caused By....
May 20, 2011

Press?   Delirium caused by Press?   ...

Confusion Every Time
May 24, 2011

Please please help....   EVERYTIME I hear this in dictation I can never just type it out and get it correct...example.... "measures two centimeters by one half centimeters"  how is this transcribed numerically??????   Please help!!!!!! ...

Confusion About Platforms?
Mar 04, 2012

This is probably clear as day to most and may belong in the tech forum, but I'm going to try here first.  I notice that Nuance owns eScription. Okay, got that.  In their ads, they are not compatible with satellite nor wireless internet. Okay, got that.  What I do not have is why a completely different company is telling me that eScription is compatible with satellite internet? Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with Nuance. I am not going to work for them and know nothing a ...

Out Of Work Confusion
Apr 02, 2013

Are we still supposed to go into remedy and get a ticket number for out of work or not? ...

Confusion About New Policy
Aug 24, 2013

As I read the new policy what has been eliminated is the option if you run out of work during your shift, to just call it quits for the day and take leave without pay.  Instead, you have to keep checking back during your shift.  However, if you still are short hours you have the option then to take leave without pay.  I know this is not what the TSM's are saying, but the option to take PTO or leave without pay still remains in the official policy on line, at least as of yeste ...

Confusion Regarding Medquist-MModal
Feb 04, 2012

What's the deal with Medquist-M-Modal.. is this a merger, complete takeover of Medquist or just rebranding? Curious because the deal which is being done is with CBAY, which is INDIAN OWNED. Deadwood floating on water. ...

Clearing Up VR Training Confusion
Nov 13, 2012

We need to clear some things up for new people, or those who have only done straight MT and will soon be doing VR.  VR DOES NOT require special intensive training, other than, of course, you still need to know how to be an MT.  That being said, make believe you typed a letter in your word processing program and you noticed a ton of errors when you went to proof it.  You would just fix them, right? It's the same thing, only if you're using the mouse, you would need to l ...

Out Of Work Confusion About Procedure
Apr 02, 2013

I don't understand the procedure now for out of work.  How do I do the teamwork punches?  Can someone explain please? ...

ATSI - Transition From IC To Employee Confusion
May 06, 2010

A recruiter recently emailed me and stated in her email "After the minimumlines per day is satisfied for 3 consecutive periods as well as the 90 days you will be offered employee status and benefits".  What does that mean?  What does a consecutive period consist of - pay periods?  Annual quarters?  (and please don't tell me to "ask the recruiter" - I have to go through extensive testing before she'll communicate with me again and I want to know if its worth it). I ...

Confusion Over Start And End Of Pay Periods With Nuance
Dec 29, 2012

Okay, got the shift differential figured out but now I am totally confused as to the pay periods start and end dates. I have an email from Cathy Jones with Nuance that says this pay period runs from 12/22 to 1/4, which I think would be correct as it is 2 weeks.  My TL sent us an email this morn saying we have until 1/2 to approve our timecards and the pay period ended last night at midnight!!! What?  Don't we work two weeks and then get paid???? Please explain.  Also, have no ...

Nuance Schedule/Webclock/no Work Confusion! SM
Dec 16, 2012

Can someone clarify for me how schedules/Webclock is supposed to to work???  You are scheduled to work 8 hours.  There is no work, you wait 15 minutes, supposed to clock out and check back later, etc.  If all of this considered part of your 8 hours??  or do you have to make up the daggum time for all this crap of checking back and forth, emailing to get jobs assigned, etc.  I only have those 8 hours and cannot flex.  Are you penalized for not getting your hours in?? ...

Clinic Going VR With EHR
May 10, 2011

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed over and over - I'm just starting to research it a bit.  (I haven't completely been under a rock but I have been in my own happy little world with my job ... until now).  I'm an IC transcriptionist (working from home) for a local clinic of 15 MDs/PAs.   Three of them are using Dragon Speak  VR  with EHR.  A fourth one just started.  What I want to know is if there is a place for me when m ...

What Is The Best Way To Go After Your Own Little Clinic Account?
Nov 13, 2010

My company just lost a huge account.  Since then I have not made much money at all.  I am scraping to get by.  After 10 years in the medical transcription field I am fed up.  I have always worked on such great accounts for good money.  Now, I cannot find something that is even average pay.  I am going to be taking a medical coding course; however, I still need to provide for my three kids.  I want to go out and solicit doctors and try to secure my own account, ...

In-house Clinic Pay
Nov 16, 2010

I have an interview with a local eye clinic (there are six surgeons).  Just wondering what kind of salary to expect to be offered or ask for (!), having been paid as a remote MT/VR Editor by production for many years and haven't a clue about salaries in clinics any more.  It is not as an IC but as member of their staff, permanent, full-time, 40 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.   ...