A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cherrypicking - a fresh post - there are cons and then there is reality

Posted: Feb 13, 2010

I have worked for several small and mid-sized MTSOs and have an opinion about cherrypickers.  I will jumpstart things.

I have been hired to start on a particular account or pod of accounts only to later be moved around a lot by the MTSO.  This has happened to me several times and I have ended up leaving because of being moved around.  It seemed to me that others were given easier work while I was being given harder work, and I didn't like feeling that way.  What I have found is that there are some MTs who ARE better MTs, and then there are some MTs whose work ethic was better than others.  There are those who seem to be only interested in taking care of themselves, and this category can have better-than-average and less-than-average quality MTs.

I have seen some MTs who put out a lot of work and know they get their high line count by clearing the work pool by whatever method they can, whether it is personally cherrypicking or the MTSO funneling the easier work to them because they need to keep a tight TAT.  I see both types of MTs in this group - those who care and those who don't.

I think at times it is a necessary thing that an MTSO funnel easy work to certain MTs, or permit cherrypicking for them, because they have to manage the work flow.  It is a fact that every MT has different capabilities.  Some may go faster, but have QA issues.  Some may go slower, but have no QA issues.  Some may have good MT skills, but are deficient in understanding ESL physicians.  Some may know how to brown nose better than others to make their life easier.

The end result of this is something that carries over into all professions...whether you work as an MT or slinging burgers or parking cars...there will be people who manipulate things to suit themselves.  My tolerance level has changed as I have grown older.  I know I am not the best or the fastest MT out there, but I have a particular skill set that works for me and the MTSO where I currently work.  There is a lot of cherrypicking going on there.  It bothers me more some times than at others, but I know that my job security is probably higher than those who are doing the cherrypicking.  I see them NOT being moved to harder accounts because they can't do the work.  For now I have to accept that CP is part of my life - and that is my choice.  There is nothing I can personally do to change it so I have to work around it to get what I need from the situation.  My alternative is to leave and work somewhere else, but I will probably find some element of CP at the next place to, and I am just not at a place in my life right now that I want to make another move.

Whether you feel cherrypicking is right or wrong, what do others do about it?  Do you move on?  Do you stay and suffer?  Do you stay and make it work for you?

I will tackle pretty much every job that come my way, - but there are times when I will bypass a job. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Out of the hundreds of doctors I transcribe (multiple accounts), there are about 3 that I just cannot understand. Period. In a case like that, I think it makes better sense to reject a single job that will have more blanks in it than written words, that I'll have spend hours trying unsuccessfully to transcribe, and to go on to the next 4 or 5 jobs that will have varying difficulty, but that I CAN transcribe in a timely manner. My employer (and I) will make more money off those 4 or 5 completed jobs done in a shorter amount of time, than an incomplete job that will miss TAT, end up in the QA pool.

There are some docs that I have no trouble with, whom other people can't understand at all. So I have to assume that there are also MTs in my company who understand the docs that I can't as well. It all balances out in the end.

Sometimes you have to choose one doc over another in the name of working smart and producing more overall.

It's definitely ok for an MTSO to funnel work appropriately not not the MT - Cherrypicking is cheating others

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't consider it cherry-picking when the boss decides who gets what. It sure is though when an MT decides this is just too hard or will take too long or just not the kind of report I want to do. That's just wrong on so many levels. They need to grow up and take responsibility for doing the work like a big girl (or boy).

I would let the supervisor or team leader know if I'm getting more than my share of difficult dictation. Then if it continues, I would look for another job. Cherry-pickers usually don't last long though. They last longer than they would if I was making the decisions, lol, but usually not more than a year or so. I wonder what they do after that.

I think that making the occasional choice of one job - over another isnt necessarily "cherrypicking".

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that term has turned into a catch-all phrase for anyone who for whatever reason, chooses a do-able job over an impossible one. To me, a "cherrypicker" would be someone who ONLY types the easy jobs, and never the harder ones. But that's pretty hard to do with most of the transcription formats you see these days. My job lists have a maximum of 2 jobs listed at any given time. I can chose between the two unless one is STAT and one isn't. Then I have to do the STAT. Everything comes in as it's dictated, unless they specifically send you something that needs immediate attention, but then they usually email you first. Still, if one of the guys pops up that I have no chance of understanding, one of two things happens: I usually give it a shot, and if after a while I'm still getting nowhere, I send it back so at least someone will have a chance of completing the job within TAT. Or, I return it to the pull before typing it and try again with something else.

If I were sitting there trying to be a martyr, and wasting valuable hours trying to type a report where in some instances I'm suspicious that the speaker has lapsed back into his native language, then no one wins. I lose time and money. The report is late, and for that reason alone, the employer loses money. QA's time gets eaten up dealing with all the blanks I left in it, and ultimately the client gets a report back riddled with blanks, and late to boot.

So there's a big difference between habitually typing the easy work (true "cherrypicking") vs. what I sometimes refer to as "triage". (Doing what will allow you to make your best contribution in a particular instance).

PS: typo = "pool", not "pull"! - Color Me Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I like the word triage, but - is it better to send cheese report or at least try

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm the OP. My situation is that I see reports being returned to the pool by MTs who don't even try to do them, MTs who will log off and return 3-4 hours later hoping that job is done, MTs who I know have asked to be Dr. Template's personal MT because of the high line count...and I pick them up at the end of the day.

A QA supervisor told me once to leave blanks where I needed them because it was easier to go in and fill those in than to have to transcribe from scratch. And over time I have found this statement to be true. I don't make money on these harder reports whether I am doing them fresh or doing them in QA mode, but it does help my morale when I know someone at least tried. Sometimes I want to ask, If not you, who?
I always give it a try, but if a Swiss cheese is in the - making, I go on to another report, instead.
[ In Reply To ..]
After all, if we send too may reports with blanks, (which we get dinged for), we not only lower our pay, we also lower our accuracy score. Not to mention risking our healthcare coverage, if plodding through all those impossible reports cuts too heavily into our overall linecount average.

I'm all for giving a toughie the ol' college try, but not at the expense of shooting myself in the foot.

I think that making the occasional choice of one job - over another isnt necessarily "cherrypic - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
"So there's a big difference between habitually typing the easy work (true 'cherrypicking') vs. what I sometimes refer to as 'triage.'"

You can call it whatever you like. It's still cherrypicking.
Well, call it whatever YOU like; I'll keep on doing it. - Rose By Any Other Name
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

reverse cherry picking - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If the supervisor decides to put the MTs into pools and the work types or dictators are selected by difficulty, then this is a form of "reverse cherry picking." In this situation, the MTs who consistently get to transcribe the absolute crappiest dictators should be compensated for that privilege. If an MTs knowledge base is more extensive or if the MT understands ESLs better, then that MT should be compensated, not cheated out of their line count by the company because of getting the worst work while other MTs get the easier work routed to them and most likely make a better line count per hour.

And yes, when pools are set up, this situation occurs very often. Life's not fair, but dang it, stop making some of our line counts harder to obtain. That's cheating some MTs out of a decent income. Actually, I consider it stealing from the MTs who always get the hardest work.

I would gladly "reverse cherry-pick" if I could make - more money doing it. -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
huh? - NotNewMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If a company uses the concept of "reverse cherry picking" and some MTs land in a pool with the crappiest work/dictators versus other MTs get the gravy work, then I suppose you would be happy if you were in the easy pool.

But, this is cheating the other pool of MTs who get all the garbage, who have to plow through the the mush mouths, the dictators who have no logical train of thought, the work that some MTs cannot or will not do. Those MTs may be able to do this work, but at what cost? Lower line counts per hour? More frustration? Headaches? And, of course, decreased income.

Reverse cherry picking, unless a company PAYS A PREMIUM to those MTs who get all the slop, is just as wrong as cherry picking by MTs.
What I meant was, I would do the cr@p work if it were - for a lot more than our cr@p pay.
[ In Reply To ..]

cherry picking by management-happens all the time - Bailey

[ In Reply To ..]
They will do it all the time just because they can. They will lie to you and tell you it is luck of the draw.

I think it is wrong to an extent - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
If that person consistently just does all the easier dictators and never does any of the more difficult then that is wrong. When I first started I worked in a pool, I was started off with easy stuff, but it ran out a lot and I asked for more work. I then had 300+ doctors all of a sudden and every imaginable work type and accent. I tried to do them all as I had to learn it sometime. There was only one doctor I would routinely send back as I could only get 1 word in 10 with him no matter how many times I did him...though a few times I did do better than that. QA I am sure was less then thrilled when I flagged those reports. So I have no problem if a MT sends back work after really trying to get that dictator down and just can't "get" them. But those that grab all the good stuff and get their lines in easily and a good check to boot are just wrong. ---The ideal situation is not work in a pool and have assigned dictators ---That is what I do now, boy it is so much better.

I would never work for a company that allowed cherrypicking period. n/m - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

And how, pray tell, would you know if that was............. - occurring???

[ In Reply To ..]
My guess is it goes on much more frequently than you know, and I can pretty much assure you they wouldn't divulge this information to anybody!

response - NotNewMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have yet to find a company who does not engage in some form of pools, which is "reverse cherry picking," or who just ignore deliberate cherry picking. They just want the work done within TAT. On most systems, there is no way an individual MT can prove that someone else is taking a particular report, but there are plenty of ways for MTs to skip what they consider to be the worst dictators or a work type that they don't prefer. Some systems are easy to check the work for a particular MT or period of time and then see the patterns. For yourself, you can often just note that you rarely get a particular dictator even though that person does a lot of work... hmmm... and if you question this phenomenon, the answers will be just totally stupid.

So, where do you work that you truly believe there is NO cherry picking? Because we'd all like to work at that company.

Cherry picking is definitely monitored at my company - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
It is about the ONLY good thing about the company (MQ), so you probably would not want to work here. However, I do believe it is pretty difficult to get away with as the software keeps track of abandoned jobs, and we get written up if we abandon or "skip" jobs. Now, I guess I REALLY can't be sure if they follow through on this writing up, but I get a pretty good mix of decent and not so decent dictators and am pretty close with my CCM and she assures me they do not allow this to happen as skipped or abandoned jobs get held up in the cue and could potentially be late if someone skipped it.

It's just pretty impossible to even try anyway; there are always 2 jobs in our cues; if we skip a job, it will just pop up again as the next job. Unless you literally sign out constantly and back in an hour later, you WILL have to transcribe that job. I'm pretty sure you'd be making next to nothing if you tried doing that. Our in and out punches have to match and we have to work our schedules, so it wouldn't take long to be written up if anyone tried to pull that.

So, yes I truly believe cherry picking is minimal to none at MQ. But there are so many other cons to working here (NJA, dropping pay, off-shoring) that it really is the least of our problems.
no cherry picking allowed company - NotNewMT
[ In Reply To ..]
You're right, I'll take a pass on working for the "Q". Did that years ago and the negatives have increased. But at least they have one thing that they do right :)

I work on what is supposed to be a very difficult account. - But most of the dictators I can do just fine

[ In Reply To ..]
but there are just a couple that I simply CANNOT "get." (And don't think I haven't tried. I have. A lot.) Co-workers, however, seem to be perfectly happy to do those jobs, so whenever I see one coming up in the queue, I just wait for someone else to download it. And they always do. Quickly.

If that's "cherry picking," then I am guilty as charged.

but really, how do you know they are happy - to get what you are glad to see go?

[ In Reply To ..]
I think projecting happiness as the emotional state of the person who gets a job you don't want to do is a bit like saying I know you love eating broccoli rabe without knowing anything else about you. Maybe someone else does those jobs, happily or unhappily, or maybe they are feeling superior to you for not "getting" that doctor. Lots of supposition going on with that kind of thinking.

I have had coworkers like you, no I am not happy - to do your rejects

[ In Reply To ..]
You think I want to type hard stuff all day? Just because I CAN doesn't mean I WANT to, and certainly not because you are forcing me to type more than my fair share of it. When everybody acts like you then second shift gets nothing but difficult rejects. How would you like to type the hard ones, and nothing but, all night long? I don't like it! It lowers my paycheck while I struggle with the crap, but yours stays high because you skip it. What gives you the right to lower my paycheck and make me have a miserable night typing rejects?

Yes, you are guilty of cherrypicking. Be professional and type them as they come, like the real grownups on your team. I'd get banned if I told you what your team really thinks of you, but "happy" is certainly not the word.

So dont do them, then. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Geez. Thanks a lot. Of course you're guilty - of cherry picking. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, the jobs don't get left for the next shift. - They get grabbed almost as soon as they appear

[ In Reply To ..]
in the queue. If no one wanted to do them, then they would just sit there. But they don't. Somebody is grabbing them, and grabbing them quickly. And that is fine with me. They are welcome to them.

If nobody wanted to do them they would sit there? - heard of TAT ever?

[ In Reply To ..]
Skipping jobs messes up TAT, you are aware of that, right? Your more professional coworkers are doing the next job that comes, whether they "want" it or not, because that is what decent MTs do. Because patient care suffers when a job is made to wait by cherrypickers. Maybe someday when you are sitting around waiting for report results so you can leave and go home, or waiting to find out if a tumor is cancerous, etc., you will realize what you are doing to the patients by artibrarily deciding who gets served first and who waits.

Justify your cherrypicking any way you please - its wrong, and you know it. Too bad your supervisor isn't cracking down on you. Hope I'm not one of your coworkers - carrying the weight while you skip along carefree and selfish. Because when everyone catches on to your game, you'll be sorry.
I'm not paid enough to care. Seriously. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I'm glad I don't work with you. - saddened

[ In Reply To ..]
It really makes me sad, and ill, to see that some people have such a cavalier attitude about cherry picking.

How do you know that your co-workers are "happy" to do what you deem so difficult? Perhaps it is difficult for them too, but instead of passing the buck they do their JOB and are PROFESSIONAL.

Sick.

I wish I did. Shes one of the few in this biz with the - backbone to just say "no" to cr@p.

[ In Reply To ..]

Unbelievable! We ALL get dictators that we CANNOT "get" - Gotta do ALL of the jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
I suspect that every MT I know comes across one if not many dictators that we simply, no matter what, cannot "get" that particular dictator/s. So?

You do it anyway, period, END OF STORY.

You leave appropriate blanks or markers for QA, you ask for samples, and more samples. But leaving it for someone else and assuming THEY are happy with it, that is highly unprofessional, unfair, and definitely cherrypicking.

Are you unable to self-reflect or put yourself in another MTs shoes? What if they also cannot "get" that same dictator? Hm? But they stick with it and get slowed down while you zip along.

Can't say how many ways this is wrong and unprofessional.

There is no excuse, none. Where I work, you can get fired for this.

So let me be sure Ive got this straight: - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if an MT is good at her job, and does everything that comes her way 99% of the time, if the occasional unintelligible job comes into her pool, she must sacrifice her day's productivity by slogging through it and either (a) guessing, or(b) leaving more blanks than actual typed words? After having spent the better part of the day on it, when she could have typed 7 or 8 STATs instead, at 7 or 8 cpl?

Yeah right.

Only if I'm paid by the hour would I do that.

Also, the more of that garbage you tough it out and DO? The more they send you.

weight the difficult doctors (pay more) NM - WorksForMe

[ In Reply To ..]

maybe if we ALL cherry-pick, abandon and break, - cherry-pick

[ In Reply To ..]
then they will notice and addresss the doctors and tell them to dictate BETTER !

BINGO. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Fresh Out Of School And In Need Of Help!
Oct 19, 2010

I just finished with schooling through Penn Foster and their idea of job placement was sending me to their "Alumni" website to look for job opening...in which all were still requiring experience.  Are there any companies out there that will hire a newbie?!  How are you supposed to get the experience, if no one is willing to give it to you?  Does anyone know of any companies doing internships? I'm definitely in need of some help, so any suggestions that are given, I'm wi ...

Sounds Like Fresh?
May 11, 2011

Review of systems Psychologic: Denies (fresh??) or sleep disturbances. it doesnt make any sense ...

CCS Exam Fresh Out Of School
Sep 12, 2011

Did anybody take the CCS exam right out of school?  Just curious.  I want to do inpatient coding and feel it would be best for me to go this route from the get-go.  My local hospital's requirement is that I obtain this certification within 2 years.  However, I feel that without actual work experience it would help to pass this exam to increase my chances of employment.  I am enrolled in the Andrews School and it seems their course is very thorough, so maybe passing ...

Cherrypicking
Apr 25, 2012

Should I be bothered with all the cherrypicking if admin isn't. Just leaves more work for me, right? Makes me more marketable?? Just tired of it and no one ever does anything about it. What do you do about cherrypicking? ...

Is There Cherrypicking Going On?
May 09, 2013

I will start my day in eBeyondText with list of jobs, many of them good. Only problem, I no sooner begin working, when the good jobs vanish, op reports and procedure notes, and then ESLs from heck pop up. One after the other. Could be the same guy.  I was told there was no way to cherrypick and, I mean, I would not know how if I wanted do, but what is going on?   Honestly, the good jobs just go poof, while the pieces of garbage stay and multiply.  ...

Cherrypicking!
Mar 31, 2014

I love it when I'm working and the job ID's keep going backwards, but only for the worst doctors on the account.  How does my TSM not notice this?  Of course, even if she did, I bet she'd only say, "Hey guys, remember, cherry picking is not allowed" and add in some clip art she found on the internet of a smiley faced cherry.  We are all in the same boat.  Type the flippin' jobs! ...

Cherrypicking In QC
May 28, 2015

I am thoroughly disgusted with the blatant cherrypicking going on in QC.  It has always happened, on a certain platform that makes it very easy to do, but never this bad.  The boss says evidence will be turned over to HR, but seems to be all talk as it continues unabated and those of us following the rules are getting the short end of the stick.  If they can't enforce the rules then they should just make it every man for themselves, survival of the fittest.   ...

Never Realized How Bad Cherrypicking Is
Jan 14, 2014

Just the other day I was given better access to Fluency Manager.  I used to only see US work in my region.  Now, I can see it all.  Anyway, I saw a stat job in the backlog that was almost going late and with the low amount of work, it really should have been typed by then.  Out of curiosity, I checked the Job Audit on it through manager.  This job was discarded a total of 6 times by 3 different MTs.  Two of them did it once, and one did it 4 times.  These were ...

Cherrypickers Are Getting Even Better At Their Cherrypicking!
Mar 12, 2015

...hope they live happily ever after with their cherrypicked pits. ...

Cherrypicking Run Amok. As If This Job Weren't Bad Enough Already, They Have
Apr 02, 2015

(Used to be team leads) cream right off the top. Shame on Nuance for condoning this. My words for the team members doing it would only shame me and get me banned from the board. You know who you are, you've visited this board too.  ...

Is Cherrypicking Allowed At Your Company? Is This The Norm?
Aug 26, 2011

I have been with my company for many years and have liked the account I am on until the past 3 months.  Three months ago, they hired on 3 new MTs and now suddenly all the easy doctors disappear from the queue first, even if there are other reports out of TAT.  Warnings have been given by account manager, but only 2 days later, the cherrypickers are back at it.  I am now getting stuck with a majority of the harder docs that no one wants to do and have watched my pay ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

I Don't Believe It Is My Imagination Cherrypicking/bad Dictator Holiday Weekend
Apr 07, 2012

Look, we are a team here... and I thought we work together.  If we were working together riddle me this, why am I getting so many dictations today which are dictators who really really don't speak English at all and would need tons of blanks?  Seriously... is any one else experiencing this today?  Being Passover and Easter I understand the regular dictators are not on, and being the weekened, but can't we all share in the joy, and not have so many cherry picking? I fina ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Need "fresh" Opinions - All Type
Feb 24, 2010

This company is looking for a Transcription Team Manager, for which I am qualified, but before applying I need to know what kind of a "corporate culture" I would be representing with respect to how the company treats and compensates its people. If I would be expected to help perpetuate a "sweat shop" mindset toward my team, I wouldn't be interested. TIA! ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Post Audit And Now A Post Audit M Report!!
Jan 19, 2015

Has anybody gotten the above email stating now there are 2 post audit reports that we have to pull?  The regular one and now a post audit m report???  What is this for???  This gets crazier every day ...

Post Op?
Nov 21, 2009

Hi everyone!  Just a quick question.  Is it post op or postop?  Have had this changed both ways recently and have never had this questioned before and am now second guessing myself.  Thanks! ...

There Was A Post Regarding IC/Emp And IRS That Was
May 11, 2010

It was a post that very clearly stated some IRS stuff and some case law, I believe?  There is a group of us who worked for a company and pretty much all of us got burned!  And we're talking tens of thousands of dollars collectively in one month!  So, I am doing some reasearch to see if this former company violated the IC status by paying an hourly wage and need some concrete stuff to make my case.  I tried an archive search, but that didn't work.  It was just w ...

PTO And My Former Post
Jul 13, 2011

After so many questioned my former post, I reviewed MQ's PTO policy.  They state a maximum of 18 days for full-time employees which is 3 days more than I was offered when I last worked full-time (after 30 years).  For those of you who say you are getting 22 or 28 days - I don't know how you managed it but consider yourselves lucky.  I  hope you continue to get it.  And by the way, when I take time off now it is unpaid (as a flexible part-time employee) and was ...

Not Sure Where To Post This, But I Need To Know
Oct 04, 2011

how to stop an abbreviation from expanding in Emdat.  I cannot find it in the manual or on the help screen.  Please help!!  TIA ...

Where To Post?
Jul 18, 2012

I have a 3rd edition BOS W/ electronic version that I want to get rid of. I can't seem to find a for sale board. Where would I post it or is that not allowed here? ...

From The Post Below, About MTs
Aug 17, 2012

http://hdstoday.com/?tag=mmodal Below are highlights of the news article In light of the One Equity Partners purchase of M*Modal, I predicted that within the next 12 to 18 months we may see OEP turn around and sell off M*Modal’s speech recognition technology to the likes of Microsoft, especially if Apple spends some of its cache of cash on Nuance. A $12 billion buyout of Nuance by Apple would dwarf the $1.2 billion M*Modal acquisition, and it would also put control of a huge chunk o ...

Had To Post This One
Feb 05, 2013

ASR respirations 17 culprit organism Dicatate respiratons 17 per minute you just cant make this stuff up ...

BOS Job Post
Mar 27, 2014

anyone heard back from them.   ...

Don't Look At This Post!!!
Mar 29, 2014

Now that I have your attention, does anyone know of any good (if there is such a thing) transcription companies looking for workers?  My current company is always running out of work and I'm getting tired of waiting around.  I'm eligible for early retirement in a couple of months and could take that way out, but I'm really hoping to keep on working for a little while longer.  ...

What Happened To My Post?
Oct 19, 2009

I had a post about how much to ask for my Stedman's books & Infinity USB foot pedal, and now it is gone. It has not been moved anywhere. Where is it? ...