A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CCS exam fresh out of school - Anon

Posted: Sep 12, 2011

Did anybody take the CCS exam right out of school?  Just curious.  I want to do inpatient coding and feel it would be best for me to go this route from the get-go.  My local hospital's requirement is that I obtain this certification within 2 years.  However, I feel that without actual work experience it would help to pass this exam to increase my chances of employment.  I am enrolled in the Andrews School and it seems their course is very thorough, so maybe passing the CCS exam is not impossible.  Who knows.  A lot of people I talk to who have their CPC tell me it was the most difficult exam they have ever taken so maybe I am shooting too high...

I remember several grads on Andrews boards passing CCS and/or CPC - or both

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Passed both CCS and CPC right out of school - NewGrad

[ In Reply To ..]
I passed the CCS a few months after finishing the Andrews program. I got a hospital coding job a couple of months after that, shortly after which I took the CPC and passed it. I feel very fortunate to have gotten the job without having any coding experience. It is the CCS that made the difference for me. No one has ever asked or cared what school I attended.

Yes - I did

[ In Reply To ..]
I took the exam 2 months after graduating. I did some studying up on my own on things I wanted to reinforce, especially the guidelines, and worked the Clinical Coding Workout again for reinforcement. I passed. Six months later, I took the CPC-H and passed also. You can do it. My experience was that it was better to take the exam sooner rather than later. I tackled what I thought the more difficult one first to get it over with! Good luck!

No, you are not aiming too high. - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you're correct that getting the certifications will improve your marketability. The CCS is not impossible.

My personal recommendation is to take the CPC first to build confidence and get some test-taking experience, then take the CCS. As you can see above, another student felt the opposite approach would work best for her. Everyone is different.

Approach both exams with the attitude that you're testing the waters, so that you won't experience as much anxiety. That alone will earn some points. If you don't pass, well, then you will know exactly what you need to study--nothing bad about that! The CPC comes with 1 free retake.

I think the exams get harder as you gain on-the-job experience. That's why I recommend taking them early on.

Send me an email through Andi if you'd like to talk about this more.

Do you recommend taking CCA then CPC? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently in a coding program and realizing how hard it really is. Some days I feel like crying because I am so lost. It's so much harder and complex than I thought it would be. I am thinking of taking the CCA then CPC when I finish. Would taking the CCA be a waste of time?

Recommendation - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure what program you are taking, and I hope it isn't ours, but if you do happen to be one of our students, please call or email us RIGHT NOW so that we can talk about feeling lost and see what we can do.

Should you take the CCA before the CPC? Did someone suggest that? Did they say why? You should be fine taking the CPC first. If you are unable to pass the CCS, though, or are afraid to try, then you might consider the CCA.

Thanks for your reply. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a student of yours or at your program. I was told by the instructor to take the CCA first if I want to be an inpatient coder, get experience, then go for the CCS. However, she said it wouldn't hurt to get the CCA then the CPC if I wanted to do inpatient coding but also have my CCA for future possibilities.

passed CPC right out of school - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to Andrews and took the CPC (this past March) about 3 months after finishing the program. I felt it was challenging, not to mention tiring, but it was not unreasonably difficult and I got a good score. I haven't been looking for a coding job as of yet due to some family issues but I plan to start studying for the CCS and hope to take it later this year, and will be looking for a coding job later this year too.

Similar Messages:

Fresh Out Of School And In Need Of Help!
Oct 19, 2010

I just finished with schooling through Penn Foster and their idea of job placement was sending me to their "Alumni" website to look for job opening...in which all were still requiring experience.  Are there any companies out there that will hire a newbie?!  How are you supposed to get the experience, if no one is willing to give it to you?  Does anyone know of any companies doing internships? I'm definitely in need of some help, so any suggestions that are given, I'm wi ...

Preparing For CPC Exam W/o School
Mar 28, 2011

I am an MT that wants to transition into coding. Is there away to prepare for the CPC exam without going to school or taking an online course?  What books do you need for studying and/or exam prep?  I am hoping that my 12+ years as an MT will help me out without having to go back to school at 42. Thanks ...

Sounds Like Fresh?
May 11, 2011

Review of systems Psychologic: Denies (fresh??) or sleep disturbances. it doesnt make any sense ...

Cherrypicking - A Fresh Post
Feb 13, 2010

I have worked for several small and mid-sized MTSOs and have an opinion about cherrypickers.  I will jumpstart things. I have been hired to start on a particular account or pod of accounts only to later be moved around a lot by the MTSO.  This has happened to me several times and I have ended up leaving because of being moved around.  It seemed to me that others were given easier work while I was being given harder work, and I didn't like feeling that way.  What I have ...

Resolve To Make A Fresh Start For 2013! Map Your Career Path With Nuance Transcription Services
Jan 05, 2013

Resolve to make a fresh start for 2013! Map your career path with Nuance Transcription Services!  As if I any one in their right mind wants to work for a company with such high standards that they are unattainable to most.   This underpaying J.O.B. is really not blowing my skirt up anymore!   ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Need "fresh" Opinions - All Type
Feb 24, 2010

This company is looking for a Transcription Team Manager, for which I am qualified, but before applying I need to know what kind of a "corporate culture" I would be representing with respect to how the company treats and compensates its people. If I would be expected to help perpetuate a "sweat shop" mindset toward my team, I wouldn't be interested. TIA! ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Picking The Right School
Mar 16, 2010

I am trying to find a school to get a medical transcription certification. There seem to be so many, but Penn Foster's seems the most affordable. To anyone with experience/knowledge is this a good school that will enable me to find work once completed? ...

Anyone Going Back To School
May 04, 2010

How do you get a loan to help pay bills while in school?  I'm in the middle of a FAFSA loan for fall semester, but she told me it is for school only.  Someone said they were using part of it to supplement the household income?  What kind of loan would that be?  TIA ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

BACK TO SCHOOL
Jul 12, 2010

Like so many others at MQ and everywhere, I went back to school, spent 4 1/2 years and $40 K+.  That was 1 1/2 years ago.  I cannot get a job teaching nor subbing, not even in a clerical capacity.  Student loan has come due and I'm back to struggling here at Q, making hardly enough to pay bills, much less take on the $350 a month student loan payment.  I got a degree in education and in our city there are now problems in the major district, citing crooked administration ...

Who Is Going Back To School....
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondering who is going back to school, or planning to, and what you are studying. ...

Recommend MT School
Sep 28, 2010

Hi, I am interested in taking a MT online course and would like some recommendations on some online schools.  I don't want to make the wrong decision and waste my money. Can anyone please  telll about a few schools so I can make my decision? Thanks ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

School Medworkshops
Nov 13, 2010

I wan'ted to know if anyone know if medworkshops is a good school? ...

Have Transcribed 30 Yrs, Been Away From It 4 Yrs, Almost Done With MT School To Get RMT, How Can I F
Dec 08, 2010

I was a transcriptionist for 30 years. I have been away from it the last 4 years, except I am a full time online MT student at an approved school through AHDI. I'm due to graduate in July and get my RMT, then I want to get my CMT. I can't find a job transcribing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Everyone seems to want someone with "recent" experience. I haven't forgotten much after transcribing 30 years and I need a job! Help, please! ...