A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

You know what just crossed my mind regarding that email from - the Transcend manager

Posted: Apr 22, 2010

If some people are going so far above and beyond what is expected of them that they are giving 250%, how in the world are they not working more than the regular shift? Every day it is drummed into our heads that we have to watch our schedules so as not to go over.  If we're already working full time and giving 100% or more, how can we give 250% without going over?  Is she saying what I think she is saying?  Give 250%, but only put down 100% on your time card?

E-mail from Transcend manager - The shadow knows

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a very serious legal matter to falsify one's time card, yet that it appears that may be the message going out. Or at least it could be interpreted that way. MDI routinely had people work more than 40 hours a week but we never saw a penny on OT. I remember memos pushing us to do more, do more, do more with nary a mention of overtime. Although we did not have time cards, I did keep a record of my time in my notebook. And then the work suddenly dried up. Toward the end of MDI I would sometimes spend seven hours a day sitting waiting for work. What I want to know is, why do these companies think they are so special that they can circumvent the rules? Just asking.

working hours - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
I've wondered this many times. I get emails to my groups most days in the last couple months saying to stretch, or to get back on and get old reports, we need more people working, etc. That's just the old MDI mentality with SE's but it doesn't mesh well with the 40-hour work week. Do they expect people to work 12 hours today and just hope that things are slow tomorrow and they only have to do 4 tomorrow instead of the 8 they were scheduled? Or is it the wink-wink 40-hour work week?

Interesting point you bring up. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You said, "Do they expect people to work 12 hours today and just hope that things are slow tomorrow and they only have to do 4 tomorrow instead of the 8 they were scheduled?" The ROM wrote about that very thing in her email.

She wrote something to the effect that when we are scheduled for an 8 hour shift and during that we're able to transcribe 150 reports and/or 2,000 lines on average that is great for your account. She said if your accounts generate 450 reports and/or 6,000 lines a day and we have 3 full-time MLS scheduled, the account is maintained, and is within turn around.

But then she gave the example of 3 different MTs. Something like if transcriptionist "A" decides today that she is going to run errands, volunteer to chaperone the school dance, walk the neighbor's four dogs, etc., and instead of transcribing the usual average of 150 reports/2000 lines. She only transcribes 80 reports and 1,000 lines thinking oh well, I will just make up the time tomorrow or later on in the week. Transcriptionist B works as scheduled even though she is not feeling well but keeps on going and does her usual 150 reports and/or 2,000 lines a day (bravo!!!). Then transcriptionist C decides today she can only transcribe 100 reports and/or 1500 lines today because transcriptionist A did not do what she was supposed to do today so why should I work myself to death. Then we only have 330 reports/4,500 lines transcribed and the account is in a backlog situation and everything falls a part because reports are not turned around in the usual time that the dictators have enjoyed, the patient suffers, blah, blah, blah.

So she is saying herself that we should give 250% but yet, if we do shorten our hours the next day or later on during the week because we gave 250% on the days that they were out of TAT, we could cause the accounts to potentially go out of TAT on the day we work less. I dunno, is that the wink-wink 40-hour work week or is it just my imagination?

P.S./ We have no idea whatsoever when Transcriptionist A takes off, let alone WHY she took off. What makes her think that Transcriptionist C only produces 1500 lines because she she wants to do the same as Transcriptionist A? That makes no sense at all. Furthermore if Transcriptionist A still produces 1000 lines instead of 2000, isn't that what Transcend requires for full-time anyway (providing MT A is making 9 cpl)? What makes the ROM think that MT A should HAVE to produce 2000 lines on a daily basis anyway????

My 2 cents on that email and 40 hour week - Just wanna do my job.

[ In Reply To ..]
One point about that email by the ROM is that it (to me) bordered on rambling and seldom made sense.

And to start out by saying she is angry that SHE had to work at 1 a.m. made it really hard to keep from just hitting delete before even reading it.

BTW, this ROM was something like a TL for the radiology side for one of MDIs accounts - so, those numbers she gives are referring to RADIOLOGY not HIM. When's the last time any of us typed 150 reports in a day (let alone 2000 lines - don't I wish). So the ROM neglected to mention that all of this was referring to radiology, and not everyone was informed that this new ROM was from radiology. Lots of confusion on this, I'm sure.

Anyway, so absolutely, IMO, it is ALL about the wink-wink 40-hour week.

And, remember, for full time, we are required to get 35 minimum hours a week. AND stay within the minimum LPH (lines per hour) of 150. So, at a minimum, that would be, for example, 7 hours a day for 5 days (35 hours) at the minimum LPH would be 7 hours x 150 lph equals 1050 lines.

For the 40 hours, 8 hours a day times 150 lph equals a minimum of 1200 lines, right?

But, where the wink wink comes in is well, how many hours did you ACTUALLY spend typing - because it doesn't matter. What matters is A) getting 35 to 40 hours for FT, and B) making sure you always get the MINIMUM of 150 lines per hour for whatever number of hours you enter on your pay card. You can of course do way more lines per hour - just not under 150.

Then there is the other aspect of meeting the $900 per pay period, and that all depends on what your cpl is.

Hope I didn't confuse the issue here. This is what I have gleaned from conferences, my asking questions of HR/ROM/TL.

So, you are right, we do NOT know why Transcriptionist A took off - and, not that I do no care about my fellow team members, but really, I do not want to know! I think there is a danger of pitting us against each other with too much personal information.

I say keep it professional - the TLs can save time typing those emails, and we can save time reading them - all I need is the backlog information and account instructions. Sure, we may need to know that the team is short X amt of members, but I really don't need to know why.

If we want to get personal, we all can get each others emails or friend each other on Facebook and chat about our flu, our pets, and our dr. appts there.

Just my opinion!

Just Your Opinion - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds to me like they are doing fancy footwork to avoid paying OT. I hope some of you gals (and guys) will go to the Labor Board on this one. Nuff said.
Reply to Nick - from Just My Opinion
[ In Reply To ..]
Bingo. Major fancy foot work.

The caveat - the crux? is that it does allow for some relatively (though screwy) leeway and flexibility. For those of us who take 10 hours to type 1200 lines, we still get to put in 8 hours. For those of us who can get 1200 lines in 6 hours, it works to our advantage in however we fill in the time card.

It's to their advantage because many of us are putting in way over 8 hours to get whatever number of lines = and they do NOT have to pay us OT.

You are totally absolutely right.

Sounds so familiar - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked for Transcend and on a conference call regarding the new time sheet system - that was basically the message being given. We were told to enter only hours actually spent typing. Good grief - I can see things have not changed since my departure.

Question re: the infamous e-mail - Inquiring mind

[ In Reply To ..]
Please, can someone tell me if the author of the infamous memo's initials are LY? Please do NOT post her name on her, as that is a violation of the rules. I think I know who you mean, though. Wow.

no, not those initials - (no message)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not sure, but - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I think posting initials is a violation as well - not sure - but thought I read it under the guidelines awhile back.

RLee - Inquiring Mind

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, sorry. Thank you for telling me. I won't post initials anymore. Anyway, this is obviously not the same person I was thinking of. I hope all is going well with you!

It is M does that help - soc mom

[ In Reply To ..]
No message
This ROM is BRAND new and was on an MDI account - Not a Transcender. NO MESSAGE
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Isn't it ironic? - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
That now that the initial dust has settled, everyone can laugh about how ludicrous her behavior was and what a reflection of HER ISSUES that email was, not the MTs? Geez, wish I would have been in on the loop with this one...too many giggles in one bloated email from an emotional basketcase, lol!
ROM is NOT brand new - been around for a long, long time - BELIEVE ME
[ In Reply To ..]
I know, been dealing with ROM's unprofessionalism and unfair tactics forever.
No, there is no way - NOT the same ROM. - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The only way you could know this ROM is if you had her as a TL for an MDI-MD radiology account. She only became a BRAND NEW ROM about 2 weeks ago, she was announced on a conference call and spoke.

Not a big deal, but the ROM you are mentioning is NOT the one that sent out this email OP posted. Unfortunately, that is a totally separate ROM. Evidently these MTSOs are a vortex for these type of managers.

Uh oh. If those are not the initials and neither is - Mary Grace

[ In Reply To ..]
M, that is not my ROM and she is plenty nasty. She uses the same phrases in her emails to criticize us. So this must be from the ROM handbook of badgering the MT. It is not a coincidence that we all have belligerant ROMs.

Similar Messages:

Fingers Crossed, Eyes Crossed, Knocked On Wood
Dec 02, 2011

Well, just as I landed my "dream" job with a very small MTSO and began making good money (albeit with no insurance benefits), lo and behold if I didn't get a call for a local "headhunter" today to open negotiations with a local group of specialty physicians who are apparently bringing their transcription back in house and want someone ready to hit the ground running.  Full-time, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., hourly pay, paid vacation, paid sick leave, a one-MT-show so priv ...

Crossed Out Posts?
Aug 28, 2013

why all the crossed out posts? ...

So Much For Keeping Fingers And Toes Crossed!
Nov 18, 2009

The only jobs that were actualy transcription for me today were the worst 4 doctors on the planet!  I am pulling my hair out today over the 10 reports that had to be sent to the MMEs with all of the holes! Also, to the MME who corrected 1 of my reports: I know that numbers are not spelled out, however, the doctor said "325 one or two a day"   He did not say milligram, therefore, you are not supposed to leave 2 numbers next to eachother, so I spelled it out.  If I knew we w ...

Interesting Job Crossed My Desk Today
Jun 12, 2015

An interesting job announcement appeared in my email today.  It was for a large vascular practice in Tampa, Florida.  It would be a good entry job for a new CPC.   You know how some people here insist that no one will hire you without experience?  For this one, experience was preferred, but not mandated, and ... even more encouraging ... a CPC was not required, either.         ...

Just Superficial To The Platysmal Fibers That Crossed This Area, Dissection Was Carried Out.
Feb 06, 2010

This is what he said, but I wonder if "superficial" is correct here. Thanks ...

How Is The Workload Today? I Have To Work In 3 Hours And Keeping My Fingers Crossed! Nm
Feb 01, 2013

.. ...

I'm Going Out Of My Mind!
Feb 03, 2014

Seriously, I honestly do not know what is going on in the western region.  It wouldn't be so bad if there was just no work in my BOB and I could ask for more back up accounts from other BOB but the whole western region is out of work!  It was the same way over the weekend, isn't there usually work on the weekends?  I'm a single mom and can't afford to take it off with no pay - I REALLY NEED THIS INCOME so I'm stuck taking it out of my PTO but I won't ...

Never Mind....
Oct 18, 2014

x ...

Who In Their Right Mind Will Be Sending Anything To QA?
Mar 19, 2010

Are they kidding?  Who is going to be sending ANYTHING to QA and take a chance of having their pay cut? Especially if it's the beginning of the work week! Yes, the clients will be getting blanks and I know they will be complaining.  The Q keeps sending us e-mails telling us to cut down on QA submissions. Are they kidding? No amount of "tips" will help if the dictator mumbles, sneezes, is ESL, etc. Don't they think we know all the "tricks" already? Besides that, we can't ...

An Idle Mind
Jul 27, 2010

Okay, I just started my first job with an MTSO, and now I'm looking at an empty queue. This is the same running-out-of-work scenario that has been following me for the past 6 years, everywhere I go. Three on-site jobs have gone down the tubes because the clinics/hospitals were "streamlining" with VR, and making their remaining employees more "efficient." Every time this happens, I promise myself: Will retrain, will find a new line of work. This is a dying field. Every time, somethin ...

If You Don't Mind Me Asking What Is The Most And Least That You've Made?
Jan 12, 2011

I've worked at a hospital doing transcription and getting an hourly wage, and I've also done transcription at home.  At-home was not a good experience for me.  I about went bankrupt, but the good thing is that I have more experience now.  I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a hospital and get an hourly pay or work from home again...  Thanks for any input!  I appreciate it!  ...

My Racing Mind Just Got
Mar 22, 2012

Funny while editing SR, the "other side" of the brain wanders.  Just came up with a T-shirt idea in the form of D: dictated/T: typed by speech rec. Speech Recognition D: Speech "wreck" wrecks MT's lives. T:  Spit wreck rex empty wives. LOL. ...

Mind. Blown. (sm)
Aug 08, 2012

I'm trying to use more keyboard commands and less mouse action, right?  So I needed to highlight and delete a line of text, and I tried Ctrl Alt Right Arrow.  Try it.  Go 'head.  For the timid among us, I can report that that particular key combo makes your screen skew sideways.  I tilted my head to look at it, thinking furiously about how to correct it without having to involve the techs, so I decided to try Ctrl Alt Left Arrow.  ...and tilted my head the ...

Just Too Mind Numbing!
Nov 15, 2013

Editing MM's ASR is so mind numbing! I get back 1-2 reports a week from a client audit with stupid errors, errors I don't make when I am straight typing! And you can certainly tell the horrendous number of errors that I am correcting by my line count. The better the output, the better my count. I so wanted to pop off an angry email back about how mind numbing this is! I can't wait to do it the day I can quit. Who cares about burning bridges, if need be, there are plenty of M ...

Mouse Wi A Mind Of Its Own
Mar 27, 2014

My mouse seems to have a mind of its own.  Keep skipping all over on me.  Is this a virus or the mouse?? ...

Gee, Could They Make Up Their Mind
Aug 08, 2014

08/10, no 08/24, no 08/10, no cancel 08/10.  FAIL ...

I Don't Mind Clocking In And Out
Dec 02, 2014

I don't mind clocking in and out, everyone has to do that, but if there is down time that needs to be added to my timecard or the like then that should be their job not ours.  I don't have time for all this unpaid crap. I just want to clock in and do my work then clock out and forget about the rest.  They get paid the big bucks to take care of our timecards if there are additions that need to be added. ...

I've Made Up My Mind.
Dec 04, 2014

Eight years ago, I started school for medical transcription. I had grand dreams of being able to have a well-paying career while still staying home with my kids. After all, based on my husband's pay we could not afford for me to stay at home without bringing in an income and preferred to not have to pay for daycare for our 2 (now 3) kids. Now here I am, with my head in my hands, making exactly the same as I did when I landed my first MT job. This is the only profession I know of where you ...

Oops! Never Mind
Feb 17, 2015

x ...

I Wouldn't Mind
May 01, 2015

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO HARD!!!!???   i specifically got up today to log on for the hour of MOT.  then i see an email that says we don't need it, but its vague.  then another email says, we need it, but not until after 3 central time.  i even tried pulling in a 3:30 to 4 time from the swap board but it wouldn't let me.  my shift starts at 4.  so i wrote and said i'd just log in and do it and forget the swap board, but i'm told feel ...

I'm Losing My Mind Or What's Left Of It!
Oct 16, 2009

I can't take it anymore.  Three weeks with more jobs than we could handle and now...... only weekend work with the worst dictators I've ever heard.  I DO mean the WORST dictators I've ever heard!  I have actually made up NEW cuss words today.. strung together in a most creative way.  You wouldn't even believe it.  I MUST get off my dead butt and find a real job or go totally insane.. OH... the drama~!  But.. really..  $%^*((*&%^**.. I co ...

401K, For Me No Way, But I Might Change My Mind
Dec 04, 2009

I could have participated in my company's 401K for 3 years now, but when I went to sign the paperwork and read through the fine print there were things stated in there like I could lose everything that I put into it if the investiment company went bankrupt and that this "IS" an investment and not a promise to pay..... So I backed off.  I am very iffy on having one.  The only benefit is that my company will put 25% in it, but if there is a chance I could lose it is it worth it?&nbs ...

My Mind Went Blank........s/l Eye Cap....medication
Mar 03, 2010

. ...

Mind-numbing ESL Tonight
Apr 25, 2011

I remember reading recently on here about monotonous female ESL dictators. Well I have one right now and it sounds like she has placed her lips directly onto the receiver to speak. This is so frustrating! I'm about to tear my hair out. My shift can't end soon enough tonight. I am so burnt out from this job, just scraping by isn't getting it with my family anymore. And yes, I have been looking elsewhere but there's just nothing. My son wants to take his girlfriend to the ...

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

I've Totally Changed My Mind . . . . Maybe
Apr 06, 2013

Thank you all for answering my questions lately.  I'm definitely at a crossroads with where I'm going.  I have an Associates Degree in medical transcription, have completed two A&P classes, two medical terminology classes, a pharmacology class, etc. and have worked as a transcriptionist for two decades.  I am now looking at either going to my local community college and adding on to my degree with a certificate program, or just recently I have considered Western Gove ...

Mind Numbing Boredom
Apr 19, 2014

I used to work on an account I loved and recently lost to EPIC.  I never minded voice recognition because the account was interesting and I took great pride in each report I typed.  Now, though, I understand what everyone is talking about when they say "mind numbing bordedom."  I must look at the clock 5000 times a shift and just keep counting the seconds until I can turn off the computer.  ...

Keystrokes - It Just Blows My Mind
Apr 30, 2014

that they are hiring at 7.5 cpl when just 2-3 years ago I got a job there I started at 9 cpl.  Why dose it seem that this is one of the only profession where wages go down over the years instead of up???   ...

I Am Bored Out Of My Mind And/or Can't Concentrate
Sep 16, 2014

I have literally put my face in my hands out of not being able to stand working today. Anything to help??? ...