A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

STAT-Copy Technologies - unhappy MT

Posted: Oct 28, 2011

OK, I know that probably nobody on here has heard of Stat-Copy Technologies out of Texas, because it is a small company, but I have to warn people anyway.  The wage dispute person from MT Stars cannot help me because I am an independent contractor.  This company now owes me over $2500 for work that I did in July and August.  The last time she paid me was on Oct 10, for a check that I should have had on Aug 15 -- 2 months late.  I have sent repeated e-mails asking when I will get paid.  She gives me a date, but usually does not follow through on that date, and almost every other time I send her an e-mail it is ignored.  I'm in Indiana, so the attorney I talked to said it would be probably too expensive to hire an attorney.  Instead, I have called the small claims court to see if I can file a claim from here.  I'm so upset!  I've worked with her on and off since 2003, and I don't understand what is going on, and she won't communicate with me, except to tell me her sister died (a month ago).  I understand that, but still she DOES have a company to run and people to pay!  ARGH!

Yes, small claims is the way to go... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have that same situation - I'm in NV and the client is in MI. Owes me $3,000 for a month's work, never paid. Michigan small claims has an option to do everything by mail and telephone conference, so I don't have to spend even more money/time going to their court. You may want to see if TX has that same offer? I'm so sick of these people! This company was a State of Michigan Competency Eval business for the courts and had that contract for 6 years! She went through a divorce, but too bad - I typed the work and I KNOW she got paid!

Time to start slamming these companies in court and getting our money! I've done it before and I'm doing it again.

Another tip, go to the PACER service center on line and check to see if that person has filed personal or business bankruptcy or is in the process of it. That way if you time it right, you won't be named in it. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

I don't know but shouldnt you file in your state? - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said, I'm not familiar with the process, but I thought I had heard that you file in your own location against the non-paying entity. And I do understand that getting a judgment in your favor and being able to collect that judgment are two different things. It seems the second poster has more experience with filing. Good luck to anyone who is in this situation. There but by grace go I as I am an IC whose only clients are several states away.

A similar experience with small claims - oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had this happen several years ago. I went to small claims court and won, but you had to know the person's SS# to collect so that the sheriff could serve the papers. The way I go money was that other people in the area took the problem to a TV news show that a public advocate, I think it was called "On Your Side" and they actually confronted this woman on TV and sort of harrassed her into paying. I don't know if you have anything like that in your TV news outlet, but it could work. Small claims didn't help me in VA.

Actually, you have to file where the business/person is located... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't need their SS#, but the more information you have to run a assets check, the better off you are. It's pretty inexpensive and once they see you mean business and know you have their bank acct and ability to file liens against that and their property (cars, homes, etc), they will pay their bill 9 times out of 10. And you can charge interest, but you'll need to look up the State where the business or person is located to see the allowable rate.

Good luck to you!

Some "Collection" Suggestions - mtmw

[ In Reply To ..]
This is pasted post I submitted earlier this month addressing situation similar to yours. It might give you some ideas (I've revised it a little, it's in the MTStars archives).

A Few Suggestions to Get Paid - mtmw

Posted: Oct 19th, 2011 - 9:12 pm In Reply to: File in court (sm) - MT

First of all, I would assume you're not doing any continued work for this outfit without being paid for prior work. Be that as it may, here are some suggestions that might help you solve this problem.

I had this happen to me years ago, but utfit, disregard the following. But if not, here's a few thoughts to consider in getting paid.figured out a way to get paid after months of dinking around waiting and being polite and nice hoping to get paid for some transcription work I did.

This was a lot of freelance transcription work I did for an attorney in my city years ago. She was/is actually a local city official. She didn't pay me after weeks of calls, visits, etc.

I got sick of being put off. I then decided someone who knows her should know what she was doing to me. I saw this as some leverage I could use as a last resort.

I sent her a "collection" letter outlining what work I performed (dates performed etc.) and what she agreed to pay me, and that this was a demand letter for payment (certified, return signature required).

The gist of the deal was that in the letter I stated that unless she paid me, I would send a copy of this "collection" letter to the mayor, common council, county bar association, etc., (her cronies) so they might know how she conducts her business. I just wanted someone to know she had tried to stiff me. It worked -- I had a check from her within the week.

Your recourse could work the same way. Imply that you will "share this news" with her "clients" (or whomever you decide might impact her) as leverage so she pays up. ...that you'd rather not go this route, blah, blah, but she owes you the money and you have no other recourse after numerous attempts to collect.

But without some strong implied second step, to look like you're serious about getting your money, i.e., letting her "clients" know about this, she'd just throw your letter in the trash. You have to be 100% brave and bold to start this, because if you don't follow through she'll know she can still bluff you. So put a "final date" for her to "pay up or else." Then if you actually end up sending a copy of your letter to anyone you think would have an effect on her to pay (do certified), make sure she gets a certified copy of that mailing too.

Use her company name, and her personally. Send to her home address if you have to, if you don't have an office address or it's a p.o. box. Even use Fed Ex or UPS requiring a signature for the receipt of delivery.

This is cheaper than small claims, especially if you're not even in the same state. That's a really difficult and expensive process.

The power of the mail can still be very effective. This just one among many ways to go with this. Best of luck to you.

PS: Everyone is required to file any claim (lawsuit) within the venue (state, county, city) in which an incident occurs(ed). In your case, the MTSO failure to pay for contracted services. You would have to go through the county in which this MTSO has a legal business or personal address. Small claims is usually a county court.

I would expand that to write a letter to the hospital/clinic requesting... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
payment for services provided. We had a situation in my husband's business where we built a shop for a guy. The person who poured the concrete for the shop was paid by the owner but did not pay for the concrete. The concrete company contacted the owner saying they intended to put a lien against his building unless the concrete was paid for. The owner went to a lawyer, and the lawyer said it was legal to do that. The owner then called the person who poured the concrete, and apparently the threat of his reputation being ruined caused him to go in and make his account current.

I'm certain if you informed her that it was your intent to seek damages from the people who pay her, she will settle up with interest. (As a side note, I find dealing with clients who clearly don't intend to pay their bills adding on a substantial billing surcharge each time I have to send a bill helps, too. You should be compensated for your time & any expenses incurred by the failure to pay).

I did that and the company immediately canceled her contract - so there was no recourse for me :(

[ In Reply To ..]
so I went after her house, filed a lien and got my $$$$ when she sold it HAH! Small claims is around $100 for the court paperwork and then a few bucks for the Marshal to serve it. The majority of courts have a venue so that if you live in another state, you can take care of it all via mail and/or telephonically.

I have a theory... (sm) - Notalawyerbut...

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a lawyer and I don't know any of the people involved in this, but I have a theory about what may have happened because I went through a similar situation a few years ago. The small MTSO where I had enjoyed great work and happy times for several years suddenly stopped paying and stopped communicating. It turns out her husband passed away suddenly, I found out through other people, and it was the last straw for her. It turns out she had been thinking of quitting the business for months, but the stress just pushed her over the edge and she just gave up. Several of us didn't get paid. The clients all bailed because of lack of contact with her. I paid $75 to a local attorney to write a threatening letter, explaining to her what the consequences would be, and offering a payment agreement. She wrote a very nice letter back, apologizing, sent a check for half of what she owed me, and paid the other half a month later. She just needed strong encouragement to do it. It was worth the fee and I avoided having to deal with small claims court. Just a thought.

Unhappy MT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have to wonder why you would keep working for her once a check was not paid on time. Not sure if this is what you did, but I had a cardinal rule--if someone did not pay me on time, all work stopped until their account was brought current. I would mail a copy of my contract or memorandum of understanding to her as well as filing in small claims court in my state and her state. They I would call the Fraud Division of the Attorney General in her state and see what formal complaints I could file. If I still had not been paid, I would tell her I had been in contact with the AG and was going to file a formal complaint with both the AG Fraud Unit and the Department of Business Registration in Texas. If it turns out she does not have a business license, she will be in double deep sugar. Good luck to you!

Thanks for your input! - unhappy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. She finally said she did mail ONE of my paychecks and I should have it in the next few days. When I get that, she'll be down to about $1800 owed. The first time I didn't get a check, when I asked her about it, she said the accounts receivable person that handled her account was on vacation, so I'd get my check 2 weeks late. Then it was another excuse, then her sister died...then she couldn't pay me until XX date, which she didn't do. Unfortunately, I normally didn't get paid until about 5 weeks after submitting my invoice (because she said the hospital paid her 20 business days after THEY got the invoice). After the first excuse about the AR person, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and kept working for another 2 weeks. Like I said, I had worked for her on and off since 2003 (my account was an on-again off-again type of thing, whenever the hospital ran behind), and she paid me VERY well. I've had occasional problems with her paying late, but never THIS bad. I'm SOOO tired of being an MT! I'm making the same amount per line for the company I'm working with now, as I did with the company I worked for when I became an MT 19 years ago! Most positions pay even less than what I made in 1992! I'll be 50 this year, and I really don't want to go back to school, or go back to working in an office (bad back!). I used to encourage people I thought would make good MTs to check out the profession, but now when people tell me they're interested in being an MT, I tell them not even to think about it now! Sorry, I just had to vent! I'm so frustrated, and I KNOW a LOT of you understand and are right there with me!

STAY AWAY - STAT-Copy Technologies in Bankruptcy - unhappy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I stated before that the owner told me she had sent a check about a week and a half ago. Guess what? It's not here yet. I sent an e-mail telling her she would hear from my attorney, and she wrote me back saying her company has filed for bankruptcy. STAY AWAY from this company!!!!

Similar Messages:

STAT-Copy Technologies Filing Bankruptcy
Nov 07, 2011

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on the company board that STAT-Copy Technologies is over 2 months late paying me (over $2500).  A week and a half ago, she had sent me an e-mail saying she sent a check, which I have not yet received as of today.  I contacted her again to let her know I had not received any check.  I told her I was tired of messing around and begging for my money and she would hear from my attorney.  Well, she just e-mailed me and told me her company is filing ...

Non-stat Reports Labeled As Stat
Sep 01, 2014

I know this shouldn't bother me, but I have this doctor (and he has a PA-C under him that does it too) that STAT every file.  He's an urgent care doc, so I get that he thinks because the place he works is called "Urgent Care" that everything he does must, therefore, be "urgent."  But it's simply not true.  Your "urgent" sinus infection which you felt you needed to STAT got pushed in front of several files that your colleagues who actually sent patients to the ER by ...

Anyone, What Do You Know About CPR Technologies In CA. Nm
Sep 04, 2012

nm ...

FutureNet Technologies?
Sep 28, 2013

Is anyone working for FutureNet getting any work? This is the worst I have ever seen. ...

Any Information On FutureNet Technologies?
Aug 26, 2010

Any information on FutureNet Technologies?  Good or Bad company to work for?? ...

Do Not Work For Accentia Technologies Inc Sm
Dec 15, 2011

I went to work for them knowing they were Indian run but had a US address and oh yah the VP's name is the name of a temple somewhere.  Anyway today was pay day and I got screwed out of around 400 dollars!  Do not go to work for this company.  I needed that money for Christmas but guess now I will do without it! ...

FutureNet Technologies Hiring
Mar 18, 2012

Anyone know if they are hiring? They used to have ads up on another board but have not seen any in awhile. Are they fully staffed? ...

FutureNet Technologies Corp.
Nov 01, 2013

Is anybody getting enough work from this company (FutureNet Technologies Corp.) to make a living lately?  Am I the only person finding such a drastic lack of work at all hours of the day and most days of the week?  For the record, I work on multiple accounts.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  Both the traditional transcription work and speech recognition work is drastically lower in volume over the last couple of months, and not just occasionally.  Thanks for any information, as ...

FutureNet Technologies Corporation
Mar 18, 2014

FutureNet is an actual company, not just the name of a software platform used by other MTSOs.  Has anyone actually worked for FutureNet Tech? Any information on this company from someone who has worked there or is working there currently? ...

Anyone Ever Worked For FutureNet Technologies?
Sep 16, 2014

Has anyone ever worked for FutureNet Technologies?  What was/is your experience like with them? ...

Does M-Scribe Technologies Still Do Transcription?
Apr 03, 2015

I'm going through my list of possible companies to work for and am wondering about M-Scribe. Their website only seems to advertise billing and coding so I am wondering if they got out of the transcription game in the last few years. Anyone know? ...

Interactive Response Technologies
Apr 22, 2015

I have just received an email to contact this company for an MT position. I've not heard of this company and would like to hear from anyone who has worked for them - and what you think about working for them...any info appreciated. ...

Beware Of Premier Office Technologies!
Sep 03, 2010

Low budget, unprofessional, and won't pay! ...

FutureNet Technologies Acquired By Nuance?
Dec 05, 2014

FutureNet Technologies acquired by Nuance? ...

Two Choices, Iridium Services Or Future-Net Technologies
Mar 01, 2010

nm ...

If You Have Recently Left FutureNet Technologies Corp
Jun 10, 2011

Did you get your final pay without any hassles?  ...

STAT Or Stat
Oct 15, 2009

Hi, Is the word stat in all caps or just lower case?  Thanks so much! ...

CMP, BMP Stat, And *
May 27, 2014

I'm doing an ER and doctor dictates CMP, BMP stat, and (what sounds like card A)? ...

Is It Stat Or STAT ?
Oct 19, 2014

x ...

Copy Of W2
Feb 14, 2011

Does anyone know if there is a place in MQCentral to get a copy of my W2 for last year?   Or how I could go about getting a copy? Thanks! ...

Copy In DQS 7.1?
Oct 01, 2012

I had a dr dictate the HEENT part of report, then after lungs he went back to more information for HEENT.  Is there a way to copy and replace text where it is supposed to be?  I cant find any information.  Thanks. ...

W2 Copy
Oct 19, 2013

I need a copy of my W2 from 2012 when I worked at Nuance.  Does anyone know the number I should call?   Thanks ...

Stat Intubation
Dec 06, 2009

Normally, with a brain injury patient, I would be extremely careful about pre-medicating the patient with lidocaine and fentanyl and waiting several minutes for this to s/l quit-al-bate and do a careful rapid-sequence intubation with etomidate and a long-acting paralytic agent.  My clinical impression in this unfortunate patient is she is in trouble and needs a stat intubation. ...

How Can There Be So Many Stat Reports??
Feb 25, 2010

Any idea why all of my reports are stats?  Its weird.  Most of my shift is stat reports.  When the stats run out, most of the time I get NJA. How is that possible?  They are ASR too.  I used to get probably 50/50 before the merge.  But now that I started getting all of these stats, I'm probably 90/10.    ...

A-STAT Transcription?
Jan 26, 2011

Any info on this company?  Pay on time?  Good to work for?  Or stay away? ...

Stat-Med In St. Louis
Mar 04, 2013

Does anyone have recent info on this company? The good, the bad and the ugly. The only things I could find were several years TIA ...

So What Is Up With The Stat-nts IM Address We Have?
May 29, 2013

Anyone ever notice that everytime the NTS-Stat address comes into your IM list that work gets screwy?  I mean, why have this address at all since we never use this person or address for anything?  Seems fishy to me that if you delete it, "it" knows to reappear on your IM list in, like, 20 seconds automatically.  I know, several of you will revert to calling me paranoid.  Please don't waste your breath. I'm just trying to figure out why and how the "monkey-business ...

DIctators Who STAT Everything
May 05, 2014

Anyone else get driven nuts by dictators who STAT everything?  There a group of about 3 doctors who work in the urgent care for the clinic I primarily type on and they STAT the great majority of their reports.  What's weird is that they don't make them all STAT, just the majority of them. At first I thought, "maybe they've just been trained wrong and were told that urgent notes need to be coded this way," or maybe when they call in to do their reports, the prompts they ...

Fluency Stat Job
Jul 03, 2014

In Fluency when you have a stat job as a your 2nd file in your que, how do you switch the jobs so the stat jobs becomes the first available job? ...

Copy Of AAMT
Jul 16, 2010

Do we still have MQ online access to AAMT?  Apparently I lost my short-cut when I changed computers.  Thanks.  ...