A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can you claim unemployment if you quit one company - and go with another who barely pays minimum wage?

Posted: Jan 28, 2010

nm

Unemployment - itype2

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you can get unemployment if you quit, you have to be laid off or fired.

Unemployment - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
If you quit one company to take another job that is equal to or more than the one you left (at least you thought) -- say you left one full-time job for another full-time job, well then yes, you should contact the unemployment office. Quitting a job to go to another job has nothing to do with where you are now. Being laid off or fired -- (and I will give more information on the "fired" concept in a moment) -- only has to do with the job that you lose and you end up with nothing or less hours or whatever. You were not let go from a job, you quit a job to move to something else that you thought was better. As far as being "fired" and collecting unemployment -- doesn't happen. If you are "fired" and it is legally determined that you were "fired" for unjust cause and unreasonable circumstances, you will be allowed benefits because basically in a matter of speaking you were "screwed over." You CANNOT COLLECT if you were fired only if you were let go through no fault of your own.

But all that has nothing to do with you because you were not let go, you moved on. I would check it out. This MT industry is doing some pretty "shady" stuff and it would be to your benefit to check it out and then try to get out of the industry altogether.

I've been fired before and collected unemployment.... - My sister was just fired and

[ In Reply To ..]
she collects unemployment as well. We're in California, though, and the labor laws here are different than some other states.

unemployment - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot depends on the state. I'm in Washington and if you quit forgetaboutit - then if you are fired forgetaboutit (did that on purpose folks). Some states are much more understanding.

Unemployment - MT who knows

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, if you quit with nothing, well that is just plain stupid -- pardon me if I offend anyone -- and you won't collect. The firing, well yeah, you won't get it unless it is legally determined that you were fired/discharged through no fault of your own, i.e. like I said you were basically "screwed over." Who really wants to quit without anything and who wants to get fired? I know that I don't. I would rather work a decent , respectable job and give an honest return - I like to shop too much ! :-)

Similar Messages:

Can You Get Unemployment If You Quit Your Job For Not Being Paid Correctly
Jan 27, 2012

Can you get unemployment if you quit your job for not being paid correctly (shorted lines, bonus, etc.)? ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

Partial Unemployment - Company With Not Enough Work
Apr 22, 2013

I hope everyone at this company with not enough work is aware that you can file for partial unemployment.  I knew nothing about this until last year at another job.  You can file to receive partial benefits if you don't work all your hours due to lack of work.  ...

You Quit A Company W/o Notice And
Sep 11, 2011

You are told you are not eligible for rehire.  Then you go to work for another company who is then bought out by the first company.  The one you are not eligible for rehire with.  What happens?  Are you not offered option to stay on with them?  ...

Just Quit A Local Company...
Jun 28, 2013

Quit my job today... I'm not going to say the name of this company but from the info I'm about to give you, you probably will guess it if you have had any experience with them. They watch you like a hawk. You are always feeling like they are watching you very closely - I mean everything you do. Lord help you if you download a very large straight typing report that is more than 30 minutes long and you take a break, you will be called out on it in a nasty email stating your starting time ...

Partial Unemployment ? - If You Work For A Company In A Different State Sm
Aug 05, 2011

than you live in which state would you file for benefits in?  Thanks! ...

If A Company Has Provided You With Equipment, When You Quit, Sm
Oct 27, 2014

do they hold your final check until they receive the equipment? My payday is supposed to be Friday and they were supposed to send me the tags to send back the equipment, but I have not received them yet, and I am thinking I will maybe not be paid on Friday if they have not received the equipment. TIA ...

100% Successful With TAA Claim
Jun 21, 2010

I have read here that people would like to know when someone has been successful with a TAA claim. I have been 100% successful and am enrolled in school. I receive UI benefits. My school is 100% paid for. All of my books are paid for. I am given a supplies allowance per semester. I filed a claim, I was denied, I appealed, I won on appeal. The state of Colorado appealed again and their appeal was denied. There is a lot of paperwork to do, but that can only be filled out one sheet ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Do I Have To Claim My Last PTO Check On UE?
Apr 21, 2013

I was laid off a few weeks ago and got my PTO check this week-end. Do I have to claim that on UE? ...

Does Anybody Remember The Claim
Aug 31, 2013

How in no more than 90 days, VR would be completely trained to put out perfect drafts?  What the happened to that?  I am going to throw that up to my TL, just for grins, every time they rake us over for critical errors, customer complaints and so on.  Yes, we are making the errors (or at least some of them) but with drafts getting worse, we are being set up! ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

Workman's Compensation Claim
Jul 14, 2010

Anyone ever filed a claim against MQ?  I don't even know how to go about it? Any help ...

What Is The Limited Hours You Can Claim For UE SM
Jan 18, 2013

So far I am 7.5 hours short due to NJA.  I have some PTO time avaialble.  I want to put a claim in to get started, because the last time I filed in October 2011 they held myr first week, and I did not get that money and went without pay.  I cannot go without pay, so I want to get the ball rolling on the partial UE, then I can get checks and not have to use PTO or worry, since I make about min wage nowadays anyhow. Sorry if this is confusing. ...

Is There A Way To Only Claim Part Of A Shift Posted
Apr 05, 2010

I thought the CCM said that we would be able to claim part of a shift; if someone posted an 8 hour shift, but I can only work 4 of those hours, I could claim it and someone else might be able to claim the other 4. If anyone knows, it would save me about a week or more of time waiting for a response. Thanks! ...

Where Is The Code To Claim This Wasted Time
Mar 19, 2012

I got no code. ...

Weekly Claim Questions For Partial UE
Jul 18, 2013

I just got off the phone with my state's UE office.  I was told that if I work more than 32 hours in a week, I will not receive partial UE for that week.  One of the questions asked when filing for a weekly claim by phone is:   During the week, did you miss work that was scheduled for you?  Answer "YES" if you did not work all of the hours that were available for you with your current employer.   If I "release" myself from work due to NJA, am I missing "work that ...

Can We File A Class Action Disability Claim
Mar 03, 2010

I am feeling a little shell-shocked.   ...

On Taxes, Does Anyone Claim The Home Office Deduction?
Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home).  ...

To All MTs Who Claim To Make More Money Than Woman With BS Degrees.....
Jun 13, 2012

Those of you who claim to make TONS OF MONEY TYPING....  You are not straight typing MTs under regular circumstances IF I believe you...and I don't.   You probably work 7 days a week, all hours of the day like most MTs.  You DO NOT work a regular 8-hour day, 5 days a week and make that much money.  If that were true...there would be much more competition.  The only perk is being at home.  Period...End of story.  Stop trying to sell me your ocean front pro ...

MMMModal's Ad From Monster. Check It Out. Their Claim Of Respect Makes Me-
Feb 05, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist About the Job         We invite you to join the most talented and knowledgeable workforce in the business by introducing M*Modal, the new brand of our industry-leading technology organization. Together, the combination of our collective organizations – MedQuist, Spheris, CBay, M*Modal, Poiesis and others – will enhance the power of clinical documentation to improve patient care.   M*Modal is currently seeking medical trans ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Those Posters Who Claim DIT Has Not Paid Them - SM
Jan 13, 2010

Please contact me about your unpaid work with DIT.  I want to make sure they resolve their pay issues if they are going to advertise jobs here. Moderator   ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Unemployment Pay For ICs?
Dec 30, 2010

Wondering....was forced to change from statutory employee to IC status with federal ID number instead of SS# when MDI-MD was rolled into Transcend.  Now, Transcend informs that they are NOT going to be employing ICs after Jan 1, 2011. Would like to apply for unemployment, but am being told by a number of people that is not do-able because wages were paid under Federal ID #, not to my social and I signed an IC contract (under great duress, I might add!) Anybody have experience with this, ca ...

Unemployment ??
Aug 01, 2011

Has anyone applied for unemployment when you have run out of work? Just wondering, you can - even if you have work on and off, but not enough, depending on what your state requirements are.  I can no longer survive like this anymore, work then no work - I have only made 100.00 in a week and a half.  Anyone in this occupation should be able to be retrained through EDD as this job is disappearing and we are being taken advantage of ....... Just won ...

Where Does Unemployment Come From If....
Oct 16, 2011

If you live in 1 state and work at home but your employer is located in another state, which state pays your unemployment?  My state pays relatively low but if I am able to collect from my employer's state, I would receive slightly more money per week.  Anyone have any experience with this?   ...

Unemployment In CA-do You Go Through CA?
Apr 15, 2013

I am being told I have to go through TN since MModal is located there. ...

Unemployment FYI: If You Even Think, You Might
Oct 05, 2013

Start getting paperwork documentation in order NOW.  Here's hoping you don't need it, but you will be that much further ahead if you do.   Even if you're not at risk of being fired, laid off could be possible and you would still need this. It could be at least 21 days from the time the question arose, before you receive an answer about benefits.  If your case is complicated in any way, it will take longer. Try as hard as you can to save up at least 2, if not ...

Unemployment
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know if you would be eligible for unemployment if you get terminated because you are not "meeting contractual obligations" i.e. LPH/QA?   ...