A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

On taxes, does anyone claim the home office deduction? - Kiki

Posted: Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home). 

I do - but we own

[ In Reply To ..]
And we itemize everything. Hubby and I both work from home. Our accountant claims a portion of the electric bill, mortgage payment, phone bill and anything else I can scrounge up (lightbulbs, batteries, trash bags). Hate paying taxes.

Taxes - Silly Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
Is this just for independent contractors or all home medical transcribers.

We rent and its the same process (sm) - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
We're renters but we're allowed the same deductions per our accountant. We keep receipts for EVERYTHING, even 50% of our "coffee" budget is allowable. Our accountant calculated the square footage of our apartment and monthly rent, then what percentage of our living quarters was officially "working space", etc.

Make sure to keep receipts for every single little item you purchase throughout the year for your business, even Post-Its, because it all counts at tax time :-)

Home Office deductions - greyhound mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I try to claim everything possible. I have someone do the taxes. I have my office in the basement, but not the entire basement. My tax person had us measure what portion of the basement we use. Also, of course, I claim mileage when I have to go to the offices of the doctors. I even claim mileage if I have to pick up supplies for my business.

I do - too

[ In Reply To ..]
I have someone do my taxes and claim utilities, property taxes, home insurance, etc. I believe you have to have a dedicated space for just your office, but I could be wrong. My tax person asked for the dimensions of my office.

you're right about the dedicated space - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
it doesnt have to be an entire room, but whatever the space is, it can only be used for your job and nothing else. I dont claim it. I have a lot of unrelated crap all over the place so I dont think I have any space that is only used for work.

Yes, indeed. - Another greyhound mom!

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I didn't this year because I now use my office space for some personal things as well, and the space is so small, comparatively speaking, not worth the hassle. However, prior to this year, you bet I have. Just keep all your ducks in a row and keep those receipts, keep track of gas mileage, and don't let your kids play on your work computer (if you own your own) with their games, etc. It doesn't have to be an entire room; you can measure the space around your desk, file cabinet, and whatever you use for your work.

I also have someone do my taxes for the above reasons of percentages of your utilities, depreciation of house/equipment, etc. It all adds up.

So, in conclusion, DOCUMENTATION, DOCUMENTATION, DOCUMENTATION! Not shouting, just emphasis... :)

P.S. As far as just renting, you may have to have a minimum amount of deductions as a total. I haven't rented in years, so things could have changed greatly since then. It would be worth it to discuss with an accountant.

Yes you can. - Blue Star

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing it for years. We own a home, but as long as it is a dedicated space for your office, you can take the deduction (you can also claim a portion of your utilities, phone, etc.). It goes by the percentage of your office space versus the size of your home. Good luck.

Similar Messages:

How Many Of You File Home Office Deduction On Your Taxes?
Jan 28, 2011

I have not filed for the home office deduction in the past, even though I do have a fair size room dedicated solely to my office so, therefore, I would qualify. This year I had to buy a new computer for my job. My husband works out of state, so we have a lot of deductions for him and I am wondering if I should file for the home office deduction or not? I know it is quite often flagged for audit by the IRS, but I feel I am entitled to it. I just do not want to risk the higher chance of being au ...

Home Office Deduction Questions
Jan 27, 2015

Using H&H this year, not using the new simplified deduction.  I understand the square footage, utilitities, all that and have done that part.  My office is a dedicated room, no problem there.  What I don't understand is where to deduct my supplies, internet, etc.  I want to count ink cartridges, paper, internet, Shorthand,  stuff like that but not sure where to do that.  I already paid for this tax software (it was a deal through Amazon) but maybe I should ...

Home Office Tax Deduction For Employee Status?
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone claimed the home office credit while being an employee rather than IC? Does anyone know the "rules" with that? Seems that it could still be claimed since we HAVE to work from home. This is my first year as an employee, so I am curious. Thanks for any input. ...

If Income Is Less Than $600 As An IC Do You Have To Claim It On Your Taxes??? Nm
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

Home Office Tax Deductions
Sep 26, 2012

Tax deduction when you work at home is definitely worth it. My friend is an accountant and anything done to improve your house is deductible (including crazy things like carpet cleaning, window cleaning). I even deducted new appliances and furniture and carpets ( in other rooms). ...

MS Office Home And Student
Apr 03, 2014

I have heard different interpretations of the "no commercial use" rule by Microsoft about the Home and Student version of Office.  Some say you cannot use this version to work from home as an MT, and some say it only means that Home and Student version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles someone would need for commercial use.   I just called Microsoft, and the rep told me that it IS okay to use it in that way, but I don't feel confident he really knew what I was ask ...

Home Office Deductions For Employees
Nov 18, 2009

I did some research and have found that at least according to Federal Government guidelines, you can deduct home office expenses if you are an employee.  The one big stipulation is that you are working at home because it is convenient for the employer.  In other words, they cannot provide you with an office.  Of course, in our case that is a no-brainer.  The rest was pretty straight forward and much the same and I am doing now for tax deductions as an SE.  My accountant ...

MS-Office Home & Student Vs. Professional
Apr 28, 2014

Do most of us have Microsoft Office Home & Student version or the Professional version?  The only difference I can see is that Professional has 2 other features, Publisher and Access, which most of us don't need in our MT work.  I can buy 2010 Home and Student for about 1/3 the cost of 2010 Professional.  Thoughts? ...

Ideal Office Furniture For Transcribing At Home
Mar 09, 2010

I am trying to find a desk and chair under $100 ideally that is comfortable and doesn't cause of a lot of strain on my wrists.  Did any of you who work at home purchased your furniture at a specific store?  I would appreciate any suggestions. ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

IMedX Platforms With Office Home And Student
May 14, 2014

Hoping someone out there can answer my question.  I'm new with iMedX.  I have Office Professional 2013 on my computer.  According to their techs, their platforms aren't compatible with 2013.  It has to be 2010 or lower.  (Office 2013 has been compatible with other companies, but not with iMedX.)  Someone has offered to let me use her Office 2007 Home and Student (not Pro), but we're not sure it will work with the iMedX platforms, which are IKM and Sc ...

Shortcut Keys Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student
Sep 25, 2014

Recently got new computer with windows 7 (old one had Vista) and put my word office 2007 home and student back on ...my shortcut keys (like F7) for spellcheck are not working...and I want to get the spellcheck visible on the task bar...any ideas how I can fix? Thanks!! ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

QA Deduction
Dec 06, 2010

Supervisor insistent upon sending blanks to QA.  Are we still cut in pay if we send too many reports to QA?  ...

Deduction Points!??
Oct 26, 2009

Got an e-mail this morning that apparently a DOCTOR is entering the wrong access code and " If this information is dictated and not corrected on the ADT screen, it is a 3.0 point deduction, which often times will cause a failed audit score with this error alone."  So, what I get from this memo is that now we are suppose to know what their access codes are??  AND if I don't my report gets audited?  Do you other transcriptionists know what each of the physician access cod ...

Deduction On Paycheck?
Oct 27, 2009

Did anyone else notice a $100 deduction on their paycheck this time?  What is this for?  The only thing I can figure, is its for the "free" Benchmark "gift".  I called another friend of mine and she had it on hers, also.  If anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know!! ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

Anyone Know When They Stop Taking Insurance Deduction?
Jun 01, 2011

I dropped the insurance, but they are still taking my portion out of this check for 6/3.  I am assuming we pay in arrears then, so I should still have the insurance deducted on the next check as well?  I was really hoping that for that extra money this time! Thanks. ...

Self-employed Health Insurance Deduction
Mar 02, 2014

My husband's employer offers health insurance benefits to spouses but doesn't pay any part of it.  I  was wondering if any of you ICs in the same situation still claim the self-employment health insurance deduction?  There doesn't seem to be a set definition of subsidized for this purpose.  Some claim that the spouse still gets a negotiated reduced rate to pay and the premiums are pre-tax, so it is subsidized.  Unfortunately, it would still cost over ...

100% Successful With TAA Claim
Jun 21, 2010

I have read here that people would like to know when someone has been successful with a TAA claim. I have been 100% successful and am enrolled in school. I receive UI benefits. My school is 100% paid for. All of my books are paid for. I am given a supplies allowance per semester. I filed a claim, I was denied, I appealed, I won on appeal. The state of Colorado appealed again and their appeal was denied. There is a lot of paperwork to do, but that can only be filled out one sheet ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Do I Have To Claim My Last PTO Check On UE?
Apr 21, 2013

I was laid off a few weeks ago and got my PTO check this week-end. Do I have to claim that on UE? ...

Does Anybody Remember The Claim
Aug 31, 2013

How in no more than 90 days, VR would be completely trained to put out perfect drafts?  What the happened to that?  I am going to throw that up to my TL, just for grins, every time they rake us over for critical errors, customer complaints and so on.  Yes, we are making the errors (or at least some of them) but with drafts getting worse, we are being set up! ...

Workman's Compensation Claim
Jul 14, 2010

Anyone ever filed a claim against MQ?  I don't even know how to go about it? Any help ...

What Is The Limited Hours You Can Claim For UE SM
Jan 18, 2013

So far I am 7.5 hours short due to NJA.  I have some PTO time avaialble.  I want to put a claim in to get started, because the last time I filed in October 2011 they held myr first week, and I did not get that money and went without pay.  I cannot go without pay, so I want to get the ball rolling on the partial UE, then I can get checks and not have to use PTO or worry, since I make about min wage nowadays anyhow. Sorry if this is confusing. ...

Can You Claim Unemployment If You Quit One Company
Jan 28, 2010

nm ...