A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

On job searching, seeing lots of positions for MT/scribe, in house. Might be something - to consider in your future. NM

Posted: Apr 20, 2013

x

That's what I heard too... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm taking a coding class at a community college in the fall. When I was getting information from one of the instructors about the future of coding, what she thinks of the profession in general, etc., one of the things she mentioned was medical scribes and how a medical transcriptionist (my current profession) who knows coding would be the ideal medical scribe. I'm not entirely sure I would want that position though, since it involves following the doctor around and typing, too much pressure. They also don't seem to make very much, looks like 10-12/hour from the ads I've seen, which is pretty horrible in my opinion. I DO, however, think an experienced medical transcriptionist with coding credentials would be a great candidate for a coding job.

scribes are usually interns or residents, at least - flmt

[ In Reply To ..]
that is what I saw on some show on TV a couple years back, but I don't remember which one.

If only interns or residents, that would make for a high - turnover rate, so what would be the point in

[ In Reply To ..]
creating the position? Not to mention, interns and residents are there to observe and learn, not type and do note-keeping.

It seems like only people with clinical credentials are - getting hired as scribes.

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Keep in mind that every job has a starting rate, based upon - experience, you could start out

[ In Reply To ..]
at more than 12 dollars. Lets say the pay range for the facility is 12 to 16with your experience they may start you out at 13.50 or so. Another thing to keep in mind is annual raises. Although MTs dont see that in the industry anymore, raises do still exist and most places give an increase at least once per year.

medical scribes - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
In our local area, some medical facilities are hiring medical scribes. On investigating the job posting I found
1. Scribe is expected to room the patient.
2. Type with near accuracy at an incredible rate of speed while attending the office visit with the physician.
3. Expected to clean the room after the visit.
4. Bilingual preferred.
5. And all for a whopping $10/hr.

Thanks but, uh, no thanks.

Personally I would have an issue with another person in the room during my office visit, HIPAA or no HIPAA

I probably wouldn't want it in my PCP setting, but.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....it could work in some other specialty settings, like orthopedics, ophthalmology--that kind of thing--where the patient wouldn't necessarily be totally disrobed and/or sharing really intimate information such as sexual difficulties, trouble defecating, malodorous urine, etc.

I agree that using only medical students for scribes isn't totally feasible as they would be moving in and out of the position frequently (plus, I can't imagine too many medical students who would have a lot of free time to perform this job in addition to their studies....pre-med students, maybe). Residents might be needing some experience with an EHR if they're going to be working with that in a practice, themselves; but they're more likely needing hands-on-the-patient training rather than strictly manning the scribe's console/laptop/tablet (whatever).

Similar Messages:

MT Jobs On Indeed - In House Positions
Jul 08, 2014

In house positions, just go to Indeed and put in Medical Transcription without a location. Locations include Secaucus, NJ; Kalamazoo, MI; Idaho Falls, ID; Teaneck, NJ; Portland, OR; Kansas City, MO; someplace in Wisconsin (didn't say town), Florence, SC; Missoula, MT; and White Plains, NY.   ...

In-house Positions At Labcorp Question...
Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone know any information about the transcription positions at Labcorp? They are in-house.  I have applied and they have called me (still playing phone tag with them).  Just curious if anyone has experienced working with them.  Not sure if I should take the big plunge and start working in-house rather than at home (with MQ for 8 years).  I have been with MQ for my entire transcriptionist career and have never worked in-house, but I'm wondering if it's ti ...

"scribe" Positions Popping Up
Apr 06, 2010

I have been noticing more and more "scribe" positions popping up. Essentially this position shadows a physician and inputs data into laptop so the physician has more time to interact with the patient.... Gee, I think we had a position for this pre-EMR. It was an MT!!  ...

Been Searching And Searching And Cannot Find
Apr 05, 2010

The patient has a few-month history of thigh pain and numbness.  Overall, I suspect the symptoms are likely secondary to radicular origin associated with his L4-5 spondylosis with foraminal narrowing.  However, other causes including meralgia paresthetica or diabetic s/l amioxi should be excluded.   I appreciate any help you guys can offer!  Thanks :) ...

Cannot Play Wav Files In Windows Media, Byte-Scribe Or Express Scribe. Help???
Mar 03, 2012

I have voice files sent to me that I cannot play in Windows Media or Express Scribe. They will load in ES but show 00:00 duration.  I thought possibly it was an encryption error as they possibly they are coming that way to be because they are secure but I sent to a friend and she can open them and play them.  Windows Media states something about a missing codecs and I have installed if known codecs to man (I am on Windows XP).  They just will not play or show the duration etc.&nbs ...

Lots Of Questions Please TIA (sm)
Oct 09, 2010

OK - I'm a straight typing transcriptionist who wants to explore VR - seems most people hate it - I'd like to try it and see.  My company doesn't offer it. Are there any companies what have editing on Bayscribe currently? What is the best VR platform to work on and which is the worst?  (Don't know the difference in any of them) Have heard of Speechmagic for Bayscribe (but who has it?) eScription and Exeditor at Transtech (? where else) and how's that? and ...

Lots Of Questions
Jan 03, 2011

O.K. I have checked out the 3 schools that were recommended. Two of them require 45 wpm I am not that fast yet. How important is this? Approximately how much money can you earn in an 8 hr day doing office notes? When a company test you are they looking for a 45 wpm or better to hire you? Thank you grannieof1 ...

Anyone Else At Acusis Got Lots Of NJA This Week?
Jun 29, 2010

A job dribbles in here,  a couple hours later a job dribbles in there.  [Sigh!]   A person can only file their nails for just so long ------ !! ...

Accentus US Doing Lots Of Hiring?
Mar 06, 2012

I have noticed Accentus has been hiring pretty consistently, it seems, since maybe November.  Anyone know what's up?  MTs jumping ship or new accounts on the way?  Just wondering, since they were bought out a year or so ago.  I have been thinking of applying with them for a while but don't want to walk into the middle of a messy transition. Thanks in advance! ...

What Companies Have Lots Of Op Notes? Sm
Sep 08, 2012

Really enjoy transcribing Ops, but Ops have dribbled to few and far between and mostly brief reports on my accounts.  Whatever happened to all the detailed op notes I used to get.  Bored to tears with H&P, DS, and consults. TIA. ...

Wow, What Happened? Lots Of Work
Mar 17, 2013

All of sudden there's lots of work.  Seems to be no end to it.  It just keeps flowing and flowing.  I hope it stays this way.  I wonder what happened. ...

Lots Of Time Spent On ADT
Apr 29, 2014

I spend enormous amounts of time doing clervical work for free at the beginning of a report..looking up doctor names that are not on the lists we have been given, figuring out which is the date of admit, consult, etc.  If everything was programmed in and we just had to download a report and transcribe, we would be making a lot more and if the speech recognition would stop putting words down that the doctors are not saying so that we do not have to clean it all up we would have more time to ...

Job Searching
Dec 28, 2009

I have been recently sending out my resume along with inquiring whether certain companies I am interested in are currently hiring.  About 90% have not had even the courtesy to acknowledge receiving the e-mail.  I am wondering if anyone also recently looking has had this problem and if anyone knows if companies not hiring generally keep this info on file or does it make sense in a month or two to recontact.  I can certainly tell the market has cha ...

Keep Searching
Jun 23, 2011

As I was reading through a lot of the depressing posts I thought I would share my experience. I have been an MT for almost 4 years. I was with the same company for almost 3 as an IC. I worked part-time to stay home with my kids. I completely agree with others about how hard it can be with the being in work mode all the time and the ups and downs. At the time I wasn't the sole provider though. However my husband got laid off the beginning of this year and I started to look for full-time ...

Searching Again
Oct 12, 2010

Does anyone know of a company hiring that supports both satellite and 64-bit windows Vista?  Just found out my hospital is keeping their work inhouse as of the end of this month:( ...

H&P Neurology Report, Lots Of Help Needed
Aug 06, 2010

I have been on this report for 2 days now. I have managed to figure most of it out but I am really lost on one paragraph. After she dictates all the information under Physical Examination she goes into another paragraph describing more of the patient's symptoms. Is there supposed to be heading before that paragraph? Also, below is a few sentences from that paragraph that I just cant make out. Any help would be great. Thanks again. Tone is normal no clog whealing. Degenerative reflexes ar ...

Laminotomy Op Report - Lots Of Questions
Dec 13, 2010

1. Under procedure, doctor dictates BMP collagen was used.  It is ok to abbreviate BMP or does it need to be expanded? 2. She was transferred to the prone position ______ (s/l an aquired) frame? 3. We carefully exposed the subcutaneous tissue and we _______ (s/l sub crossed) the dissection off the level _______ (s/l synchreala) and the transfer processes of the L5, we exposed the spine. I know this is probably a mess. =(  I am new at transcribing and really new at Op reports.&n ...

Question For Transcenders: Lots Of Work?
Oct 22, 2011

I have an interview with Transcend on Monday and have read conflicting stories on this board about whether or not Transcend MTs run out of work.  Some you are saying you never run out; some say they hardly ever run out, and some say running out of work is a problem for them.  What's the story on this?  Also, how is the health insurance?  Thanks for any info you have!  ...

Lots Of Straight Typing This Week
May 03, 2012

very rare that I get 100 straight typing lines a day, let alone 400 anybody else? ...

She Uses Lots Of Tampons - Claudiolise Issue?
Sep 26, 2012

She uses lots of tampons and this is definitely a "claudiolise ssue"  ?? ...

Wow, Lots Of Work 2 Weeks In A Row, Betcha
May 15, 2014

Mmodal is sorry they got rid of all those dreadfully horrible, worthless, and incompetent MTs who could not score 99.6% on an audit.  The 20 or so who could are undoubtedly overwhelmed.  Serves them right! ...

Get Ready For Lots More Stress Now At Synernet
Mar 19, 2015

as they ramp up for summer. Having people off means we have to work harder and more OT because we've just been having such an easy time of it. Warnings and threatenings. All they know. Turn around times not being met? It's because we're so lazy. Hiring all the time? Still not enough staff; never enough staff. Cheery picking; never addressed. Rotten VR; never addressed. Never knowing what work, which doctors, or work types your're going to be doing anymore; never addressed. Co ...

$15.00 An Hour....lots Of People Picketing....
Apr 15, 2015

I am glad to see that some kind of movement is finally happing regarding a decent minimum wage. But something else I'd like to say is that I read somewhere (not here, but on the Huffington Post or somewhere) that Chelsea Clinton said she "does not care about money." Then the article went on to say that she and her husband Mark just bought an apartment in New York City around Gramercy Park for 10.5 MILLION DOLLARS. Nice to not have to be able to care about money. We'd just l ...

Been Job Searching For 2 Months...
Nov 27, 2009

With no luck. Sent tons of resumes and taken tests without many replies.  I'm starting to get worried now. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Job Searching And New At IC And Testing.
Feb 28, 2013

I know these things have probably been covered before here, but could someone please give me some general advice on what it is to be an IC?  Do you just send the IRS a quarterly payment and that's it?  What about Social Security and matching?  I have always done my own taxes, but I am in new territory here and probably will need a tax preparer now, but until then..... Also, when testing for companies, I find I cannot use my foot pedal with some.  How can I do that?  ...

Wow, I Was Just Searching The Internet For An
Dec 15, 2014

and came up with a listing for it on eBay. I wonder if you get any discount on your hospital bill if it is bidding on your surgical equipment on eBay, or even if you can bring your own.  Forget high surgeon fees, this stuff is radically expensive!!! ...

Searching For School
May 21, 2015

I am in Southwest Washington looking for accredited coding/billing school. should i do online or in class? im brand new at this...please help! ...

Whats The Deal With Keystrokes Lately? Lots Of Ads Posted Like
Feb 08, 2013

Never use to see that many ads for them now they have one every single week. Are they that busy? Lots of new accounts or what? ...

Lots Of Doctors Slurping On Christmas Candy
Dec 18, 2013

Have you noticed more doctors are chewing and slurping while dictating lately?  It just dawned on me today, probably some non-MT employees are treating the doctors to Christmas candy at their dictation stations.   I used to see that a lot when I worked in hospitals.  Ugh! ...