Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Yes - Reply

Posted: Jan 1st, 2023 - 10:48 am In Reply to: Did you get certified? - Jofalltrades

I had a passed the CPC but employers in my area were requiring 2 years of experience and still are. I had trained during the transition between ICD-9 and ICD-10, was 58 years old at the time, just laid off from a transcription job of 18 years, had an ankle injury and missed a lot of work due to downtime from surgery and recovery, and had a lot going on in my life secondary to finding a coding job. I was called for some interviews but was having second thoughts. I was never looking at coding as a new career, I just needed something to do to cover the last few years until retirement, so my situation was quite different, and when I learned the metrics required on some of those jobs, really had second thoughts. I was then hired as an HIM tech and did abstracting and performed other tasks for a few years until I ultimately retired. Part of not being hired as a coder might have been due to my age, and also the further I got into it the more I realized that it certainly is not the dream job it is painted to be. Also, having certification is no guarantee of getting a job, especially if you reside in a rural area. Anyone who wants to do this needs to know that there is a lot of training involved, and it is not a job that anyone can do on the basis of having been a transcriptionist. I don't think many people waltz into a job based on taking a crash course at an online school. This was not supposed to be about me and my rationale, but since you asked...

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)