Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Been there - The glory days are gone

Posted: Apr 23rd, 2022 - 8:11 pm In Reply to: Depressed and Numb from low pay - Unhappy

I've been in this industry for 21 years. I get especially depressed when I look at what I make today and compare it to what I made 10+ years ago. It almost makes me cry. I used to make anywhere between $75k and $85k per year as an MT. Now, I'm lucky if I hit $35k. What has happened to this once well-paid, well-respected, and appreciated profession??? Oh, that's right, VR, EMRs, scribes, offshoring, etc. I made MORE at my very first MT job fresh out school than I do today with over 20 years of experience. Retail workers are making more than we are. Something is very wrong here. I finally found a decent job after 2 years of searching (I lost my last good job in 2020 due to COVID), but I still don't make anywhere near what I made back in the good old days. I thought I would be doing this job until retirement, but since that's still quite a few years off for me, I'm very seriously considering going back to school to become a cancer registrar. They make at least $60-65k per year and some even up to $85-90k. They also work from home. I've been looking into it recently, because I have to do something fairly soon. I'm getting so burned out and so mentally and physically exhausted from having to bang the keys for 12-15 hours a day and not even make what I made in just 8-9 hours a decade ago. It's literally driving me insane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)