Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Aquity.. (Views: 40)

wondering what I was thinking going into transcription - wearing slippers

Posted: Aug 26th, 2021 - 9:26 am

This is probably more of a vent post, so feel free to scroll if that is not your thing.  

I have been a transcriptionist for a long long time and have seen the changes.  I had just resigned myself that this is how it is.  I try to take pride in my work and I appreciate being able to work from home.  When VR came and the pay cuts happened, I did not like it but I accepted as the change that was coming.  The hospital couldn't "afford" transcription so that was a place they cut the costs while increasing wages to other health care workers.   Since they were subcontractors, there were out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

However, now I see that most companies are also raising their wages.   I have a friend whose daughter is only 19 and making more money than I am with just a high school diploma and very little job experience.  It is disheartening to say the least.  I don't begrude her or anyone else making a decent wage, but what happened to us? 

When I have a shift where I have gotten very difficult complicated reports with subpar dreadful dictators and a horrible line count, it is the worst feeling.  Why do employers place so little value on us?  No recognition of the skill it takes to do this.  Expecting 99% accuracy and quick turnaround but offering very little in terms of compensation.  

I have to wonder that as the experienced transcriptionists age out if the transcription industry will wake up.  Why would a young person go into the  field making below minimum wage when more at home jobs become available.  Or just working at your local Walmart or Target will pay you more and offer flexible hours.  It feels like this is the only industry where the pay is going down instead of up.   Yet, you need years of experience to get a job for all that low pay goodness.  

Will VR have to become more accurate or will the crappy dictators need to start editing their own work?  Will the transcription companies even survive?  

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)