Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 59)

MT student wondering about wisdom of continuing - Bianca

Posted: Feb 21st, 2020 - 3:21 pm

To experienced MTEs:

I am about 2/3 of the way through the Career Step MT course and I'm wondering now if it's even worth my time and effort to continue. 

I have not been able to increase my typing speed very much, presumably because I have cognitive deficits due to brain fog from my autoimmune disease.  On good days, I can do about 42 wpm with medical transcription and maybe 50 -55 wpm with regular typing.  Those days are rare.  I'm averaging more 35 - 40 wpm, closer to 35 on really bad days.  No matter how much I practice, this does not change.  There is some kind of fine motor skill disconnect.

So not only am I a poor typist, but I'm hearing the there are very few good jobs even for experienced MTs and that the pay has gone way down.  My goal was to be able to support my family from home, but looking at the reality, it seems like that would not be possible. 

So what do you think, should I persevere, or use my time to learn something else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)