Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

AAMT - No longer an MT

Posted: Oct 22nd, 2019 - 8:27 am In Reply to: Agree -not a union - StillAnMT

I agree with Still An MT. I joined AAMT when it first formed and was in one of the first groups to obtain certification by exam. I remember in the beginning they made it very clear that they weren’t a union and were not an advocate in negotiations for higher wages. I benefited a lot, however, from the local chapter seminars and state meetings, a better educated workforce is always a good thing. I was able to observe a cardiac bypass being performed, and every time a physician spoke at a meeting, it opened up networking opportunities and generally sent people off to do more research on what had been presented. Our meetings were usually on Saturdays, and the speakers donated their time, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. AAMT made the mistake of letting people grandfather in, and for employers to take us seriously, certification by exam should have been a priority, not something to do for personal gratification. I had the skills and advanced regardless, but none of my employers offered any salary incentives, and I had coworkers who thought AAMT was a joke and saw no reason to make the effort. A lot of mistakes were made over the years to promote the profession, but we fell victim to technology and outsourcing, but I don’t think AAMT is to blame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)