Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I do not agree - MTx45 years

Posted: Jan 7th, 2019 - 11:09 am In Reply to: This is a new world and transcriptionists aren't needed anymore. - OhioGal

What you are describing is a good recipe for medical malpractice suits which are already over the top in this country. In my town, more doctors are utilizing well transcribed reports than ever before to ensure every detail has been addressed and is accurate regarding a patient's care. For a MTSO to require 99% accuracy is not crap. It is necessary. Remember, the baby boomer age physicians are still practicing. They became physicians during a time when professional work ethics and conscientiousness regarding patient care was of the utmost importance. I know, as I am 65 years old and have been an MT for 45 years. While, I would not choose this profession today at the age of 20, I certainly do not see every MTSO getting rid of all of their transcriptionists. Are they going to all close their businesses and retire to Hawaii? As far as AI is concerned, take a look at VR. I have been editing on the same VR program for 5 years and it still makes the most outrageous errors. Even with something as simple as "the patient was on vacation last week", you see in the draft "the patient's defecation was weak." As far as AI, hospitals, clinics, etc. are certainly going to be waiting a long time until such technology is perfected until they could even consider the expense, training, and risk of putting their patients' welfare and care into the realm of something like Alexa. By the way, I posted here something very interesting about that particular AI. Sure makes me eager to see this technology get it hands on our medical information. "Millions of users of Amazon’s Echo speakers have grown accustomed to the soothing strains of Alexa, the human-sounding virtual assistant that can tell them the weather, order takeout and handle other basic tasks in response to a voice command.
So a customer was shocked last year when Alexa blurted out: “Kill your foster parents.”
Alexa has also chatted with users about sex acts. She gave a discourse on dog defecation. And this summer, a hack Amazon traced back to China may have exposed some customers’ data, according to five people familiar with the events.
Alexa is not having a breakdown.
The episodes, previously unreported, arise from Amazon.com Inc’s strategy to make Alexa a better communicator. New research is helping Alexa mimic human banter and talk about almost anything she finds on the internet. However, ensuring she does not offend users has been a challenge for the world’s largest online retailer."

I think it best that you left the MT profession when you did. As for me, I will stay put, do my 99% or better quality work, and know that there are still a lot of us out here who feel the same way. Thank goodness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)