Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance Today's Top Viewed: No she cannot, it is the same Miss Misery who post.. (Views: 31)

Anyone laid off by Nuance have any - luck with TAA?

Posted: Sep 7th, 2018 - 7:29 pm

Kind of disappointing. Training is not a great idea for me because I live in a rural area and I cannot imagine what I could train in that is also not going to become obsolete in a few years, also I may want to retire or partially retire at 62 which is not too far away for me.

But as far as finding out information as to what even I am eligible for I have been given the runaround.  They say you are supposed to go to your local DOL office, but since my situation is so unusual for TAA - most of these petitions involve a bunch of people laid off en masse from a big factory or plant that is shipping the work overseas, not individuals all around the country like us - they have been passing me around like a hot potato. 

As far as health insurance, I have not been insured with Nuance for years but now my husband has no insurance either as he got laid off as well.  We did not get COBRA as it was ridiculously expensive at a time when we both had very little income.  I had thought I could get the HCTC via TAA but if you go through ACA you cannot get that. 

I am going to call a broker or navigator and see if there is any policy I can afford without ACA subsidies that could qualify for the 72% HCTC, but I am guessing they would all be too much and we will have to go on the ACA.  Disappointing. 

Initially, the ACA plans were pretty good, I remember drooling over them when I had Nuance insurance, but now the insurance companies seem to have made them just as awful in that the premiums I can afford mean very high deductibles which everything is subject to - virtually a disincentive to go to the doctor even. 

There are allowances as well, but since I have decided I want to stick it out in this "career" and get an IC job, they are unsure if the RTAA (Re-Employment Trade Adjustment Assistance - a wage supplement allowance) would apply.  As it happens, my hourly rate was not bad when I finished at Nuance so it's possible I may be eligible as I think they compare your hourly rate before and after, but the fact that I will be self employed may rule me out for that one.

I have tried to find an employee job, but my state has a higher minimum wage, also I am not that young, so the few places which still have employees I have not had a response or been immediately told they don't hire in my state.

I hope someone is getting at least some of the benefits of the TAA and if you can give us any hope or advice that would be great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)