Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Presbyotranscriptophobia - Grandma

Posted: Jan 15th, 2018 - 3:15 pm In Reply to: I didn't really choose it, the Nuance fiasco caused it - bs

I'm a presbyotranscripto (an older transcriptionist). I still have a great transcription job, but I know I'll be laid off in about 6 months. I also have some personal MT accounts with private doctors that pay well. Even though it's illegal, I think that many employers have a preference for younger workers in the job market. I'm not going to moan and groan over it, but I am going to accept it. I'm a certified paralegal, but I'm about 95% sure that there are very few firms I would like to work at--too many young people glued to their devices, wearing tight skirts, and uncomfortable shoes (grin). I do think that there are many things that the older worker can do. First, get out of the house. I joined ToastMasters to gain confidence with public speaking. It's hard to work in solitude for 30 years and not lose some of our ability to communicate. The second thing to do is to seriously consider opening a business. I know it sounds counter-intuitive when your finances may be compromised, but I think bringing this control back to the employee is worth the extra work. You may want to consider a business that is very different from what you do now or you may want to consider being a sole practitioner medical transcriptionist. You can literally do transcription with little to no money invested because on-line subscription services are now available that take the place of the dictation and transcription systems that used to cost 10s of thousands of dollars. Plus, the MTSOs have done us a HUGE favor. They have gotten practitioners used to the idea of outsourcing transcription. If you catch someone who is frustrated with their MTSO, they may embrace the idea of working with a human. Think about other things you can do -- real estate professional, insurance sales, craft sales, etc. The more you get out of the house, the more you realize how truly valuable you are. And don't be so quick to believe that everyone wants young folks, many of these younger folks have poor work habits (I can't even days), and baby boomers are actually recruited by some firms. Enjoy the holiday, and then let's go for it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)