Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

My fault - Not necessarily true

Posted: Jan 4th, 2018 - 8:21 am In Reply to: It's your own fault. - MT

Most people probably knew the changes were coming. I had a great onsite job with one employer for 18 years when they closed the MT department, I was 58. I stayed because of the money and benefits and I loved the job. Job opportunities are limited in rural areas, and I'm self supporting, I couldn't just get out and go to work somewhere for minimum wage or less, that it why I stayed. When I got laid off, I took a coding course which was a wasted of time and ended up getting rehired by the same employer at a job I hate with various and assorted managers from hell. I'm still trying to get out but am close to retirement now and would never find anything that paid a decent wage or had a benefit package to match what I have, which is why I stay. People aren't stupid, they do what they have to do and nothing is as simple as it might appear on the surface. Age discrimination is real and there are very few people who can jump ship for crap jobs. Having bills to pay is a reality. Judging my your screen name, you are still an MT, why haven't you left? I still come to the boards even though I'm not very involved in MT, because I like to read what people are saying, even the whiners. One of the biggest MTSOs is our vendor now, so I get some news about what is happening with their employees. Some people like to read about train wrecks but it doesn't mean they want to be involved in one and for some being isolated at home, this is the only place they have to network with others who share their situation. I think you are too quick to judge before you know why people choose to stay or why they can't just "get out."

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)