Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

I took steps and am out! 3rd day at new job... - Gone Girl

Posted: Apr 19th, 2017 - 10:46 am In Reply to: How do we let this happen to us? - I ponder that

It's been thrilling and scary at the same time making the bold move out of transcription after 15 years, but mostly I feel relief! Today, I start my third day on the job. Everyone at the company has been helpful and kind. I have my own little office with a nice big window. It's 2-1/2 miles from my house. I found the job on Craigslist working for a vitamin manufacturing company managing their electronic records and work with the QA team. It's a bit overwhelming right now as I learn their acronyms and processes, but I'm hanging in there. The pay is steady, no more fluctuation based on production (and all of its variables) and work availability. I'll have raises. I already get 6 paid holidays, 48 hours of paid sick time a year, a week's vacation after 1 year (and that increases), and a Mon-Fri day shift. They provide free Keurig coffee and popcorn! I just have to climb the learning curve, and I must admit that after sitting home for so long, it's a bit more frightening than it should be. Being isolated for so many years increased my introverted nature, so I'm struggling a bit and feel awkward, but I'm honestly kicking myself for allowing my career to nosedive and to have accepted lower and lower pay and terrible treatment for such a long period of time.

In case you are considering getting out and are curious what I did: I worked on my resume and really made it shine (googled "great resumes" and found one that I could base mine from and then rewrote it). I also reworked my resume highlighting the skills I have, such as strong keyboarding, grammar & punctuation, knowledge with databases, strong attention to detail, great customer service (helping my team and also meeting the expectations of physicians that I transcribed for), etc., etc. I reviewed online sites that provided tips on how to tackle tough interview questions and thought through replies, even practiced them. Then I applied for positions listed on CraigsList. Quite honestly, I had 5 interviews and was in the running on 3 (one was too part time and one I rejected because they required an insurance license and am not interested in going that far).

Anyway, I'm out now and today is my 3rd day. I'm still nervous and battle against the desire to hide at home because I'm a shy person and home is my comfort zone, but I'm sick and tired of getting paid scraps and treated unfairly. If I can break out, almost anyone should be able to -- just work on it and do what it takes. I did this job change in less than 3 weeks, and I'm not kidding. My husband is super proud of me and that helps keep me going until I transition mentally and also learn the job.

Good luck to those looking to get out. I wanted to drop back by and let all of you know how I'm doing and what I did and that there are great jobs out there, even if you've been a transcriptionist for 15 years and you're filled with self-doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)