Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

What happened... - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Apr 18th, 2017 - 7:05 pm In Reply to: How do we let this happen to us? - I ponder that

What happened is they took advantage of the fact that 1) we work remotely and all over the US, so therefore, we cannot form a union or otherwise walk out and 2) we are paid such low wages and other jobs in such short supply that they essentially have us by the short hairs. In other words, we had no other choice but to work for them to have some form of income coming in. Add to this the fact that they are taking advantage of every loophole they can find and it just adds insult to injury.

I have loved MT. I loved it because I got to help patients -and make a difference somehow- without having to be hands-on and poke people with needles. I have always liked the medical field, so I felt that MT would be a good fit. If I had known that this field was taking the turn that it was when I went to school for MT, I would have chose another field. In the beginning (11 years ago for me), the pay was good, the benefits good and the metrics reasonable. I felt appreciated for the work I did, both in the accolades from my managers as well as the praises of the doctors. We were able to be there in their time of need, to interact with them one-on-one...to fix what they needed fixed. We were not micromanaged and we were trusted. Not anymore.

This company could give a rat's behind less what happens to their workers. They do not care that you cannot pay your bills or that the pay is low. Of course they know what is happening. They know that some of us are in bankruptcy, that we have kids that we cannot feed due to pay being reduced over supposed errors, that we cannot keep the lights on. Do you think the higher ups really care? Absolutely not. They have their huge houses, expensive cars and everything their greedy little hearts could desire. That is what has happened to this and all other companies...greed. Penny misers they are! All they care about is getting as much work done overseas as possible for the cheap labor. Thing is, eventually the foreign counterparts will have enough of being used and abused like us.

While working for Nuance, I fell into a depression and pushed away those that were trying to help me and it nearly cost me dearly. I guess it was the only way I knew how to deal with the emotions I was going through. I was angry, frustrated, sad...you name it I felt it. I hated who I had become. Eventually I realized that Nuance wanted me gone and that they were going to do it regardless, so I just stopped trying. I saw it was a losing battle. I was ready. Ready for a change, ready to start writing another chapter.

Nothing ever said here will ever make a difference. The only thing that would ever make a difference is US MTs turning our backs and refusing to sign back on until things change. We can no longer accept substandard treatment, but grouping together and making a stand together is hard when we are so scattered out. I realize not everybody can work outside the house, that age and education are factors, but there are other ways to make a living at home besides MT. Rat Race Rebellion and WAHM.com list WAH jobs. It may not be ideal, but after what I experienced at the hands of Nuance it can't be anything but a step up.

I urge anybody that can to get out of MT before it totally sinks. I wish I had left sooner. Let the foreigners have it. Eventually there will be no other choice to bring what work still remains back to the US due to mistakes made by foreigners. MT will never regain its former glory. Scribes and EMR have slowly and steadily replaced us. Hard pill to swallow for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)