Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal Today's Top Viewed: Supervisors: You can't be leaving so many bla.. (Views: 53)

Keeping job - Farfromretirement

Posted: Jun 12th, 2016 - 11:35 am In Reply to: keeping my job - oldlady

This burns me up, and I am sorry you and so many of us are in this situation. All these years of training. Grrr... The company benefits by getting all of this practically for free from us now, but they won't forever. The saddest part is they don't even seem to appreciate what they have.

Age 50 here, long way to go. I struggle with line count for other reasons related to elder care/other family obligations, but will tell you what helps me when those aren't there.

I work as quickly as possible through each report, with a goal of not stopping the audio. I used to be able to straight type almost that fast but with editing, at least in my accounts, something needs edited almost every other line, so it often takes longer. So, as I say, it is my goal not to stop and that keeps me going more quickly. I then go back and speed-read through the report to proof it. I now know what document checker will catch, so I don't always take the time to edit those out. I have the routine headings in expansions, and I usually keep the cursor in the center and use the arrow keys to move side to side and up and down. I wish I could abandon proofreading, but I always find errors. There is too much editing required not to have to go back through the reports. Thursday I caught a "not" I had left out, as in "patient is not hypertensive." It comes from just going too quickly, especially with that kind of dictator because I had to do so much to make sense out of the sentence right before that one! Trying to edit those without stopping audio, then missing something right after it, which is why proofreading helps me. Isn't it crazy what is expected of a good full-time MT? If our attention wanders even for a few seconds/minutes over to the repairman being late or whatever, we can miss half a paragraph. We THINK we got it but going back to re-read you see a glaring error, or maybe don't even notice it when proofing. Like an Asian dictator who seemed to be saying Essure, at least that's what ASR typed, but on proofing I had to refresh my memory what Essure was and realized he was saying "anesthesia." Which I would have never mistaken for Essure had I been straight typing without ASR adding that in!! Danged if it didn't sound exactly like Essure though!

Anyway, good luck to you! I guess I make more errors, too, these days. I always prided myself on great quality and good audit scores but lately I get "low" scores of 99. Sometimes it takes my husband's eye rolling at "low" and "99" to bring me back to reality. Since when is 99% a low score, especially when it's due to a few small errors that really don't mean much, which is usually the case with mine, or a date of service left off because the dictator said it so quickly in the beginning and then had typed in the wrong patient name or whatever and I was so focused on fixing that, I completely missed the DOS. Just normal human stuff. Seems to happen quite a bit though. And no one really cares about why you made the error, just that you did, which is frustrating.

Sure wish I was perfect. But not so much for minimum wage anymore. It is hard to get excited about any of this for less than half my old pay. I am really just trying to float by these days and stay off the radar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)