Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

It depends on a few different variables - I found it was bad for me

Posted: Dec 18th, 2015 - 9:39 am In Reply to: Any Nuisance part-timers... - MT POCKETS

I had to drop hours to get on my husband's insurance, then he lost the job. In the meantime I had gotten another part time job.

Personally, I ended up going back to full time. They get you every which way now, if you drop hours, you accrue PTO at a terrible rate, which just about killed me - not only was I not getting time off ever (and with the 2 jobs I ended up working 7 days), I could not even accrue the hours to make up my pay if there was no work.

I guess the 2 important factors are income and benefits. The ACA seems to be a much better option than Nuance's terrible insurance, so if the income is negotiable or you want to get another part time IC position (that's another thing I hate because of all the taxes and so forth, not something I was very good at), that is definitely a good option.

If your spouse has eligible insurance, however, you are not allowed to get the ACA, so I ended up going on my husband's insurance, which is slightly better than ours. I definitely wish I could get the ACA because in my area (I have checked), the premiums and the subsidies would make it cheaper AND most certainly more comprehensive than what our employers do, but unfortunately no.

If you can drop your hours and only have the one part time job (and if you are on your own or your spouse does not have insurance either), I guess it depends on states and options, but I find it really hard to imagine any exchange based insurance with subsidies could possibly be worse than Nuance's insurance.

I had the worst of both worlds, such that I was not making much money, not accruing any leave time with 2 part time jobs, was not able to make up time because it always seemed like just when I could is when I had the other job (which, unlike Nuance, always had work).

I am happy being back to full time, but I also got out of the habit of working 8 straight hours and that is killing me now. I had forgotten how exhausting it was to do that and I'm not getting any younger.

There are just so many variables, really, you have to look at the most important factors to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)