Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Now wait just a minute . . . - Retired MT

Posted: Dec 12th, 2015 - 3:00 pm In Reply to: Quote - Unbelievable

It's my life, and if I choose to do something I do not like at all for a substantial sum of money that makes it worth my while to put up with it, and with rules in place to spare myself a lot of aggravation, for 10-20 hours/week who are you to judge me?

And why do you suggest that I am rude to my clients. Trust me, I am not but I am VERY firm, and I do not hesitate, to POLITELY, turn away work that I do not want to do. And my conceit and arrogance must not bother them too much because all of my work comes from referrals. I do not solicit work, EVER!

Let me remind you, I charge just as much as I want, and I will not take less, I also have uncompromising rules about what I will and will not do, and how I do my work, and if a prospective client does not like them, they can and should go elsewhere. I am not going to fuss with a thousand little extras for any client, and spend an hour doing a report that should take 15 minutes under any circumstances, no matter how well I am paid, I simply do not want to spend the time.

And by the way, when I tell the client just how much it is going to cost to have me do all the things they want me to do, that it is not free, they back off, they do not want to pay for it. Problem solved with no hard feelings. This is business, not charity.

If the time comes when no one wants to employ me anymore, when there are lots and lots of retired MTs who would love to waste their retirement years working for that little bit of pin money they don't really need, then maybe I will look into a reverse mortgage and take a nice long cruise around the world, and forget every bit of medicine I ever knew.

But as long as I am asked to take on work, and I feel like I would like to have the money, I will consider doing it. Unless, of course, I find I am working for a prima donna.

If my clients are foolish enough to put the MT's personality and attitude over competency and professionalism, then so be it, let them hire that happy little MT who is willing to smile and gush over the honor of being paid a pittance just for the sheer joy of doing it. If they can find her/him, but what I am hearing is that they can't.

And frankly, looking back over the long years, many of which I spent working in-hospital, I don't recall very many MTs who loved this job. Most of them felt exactly the way I do; they put up with it because they were paid well enough, and they could forget all about it when they walked out the door to their real lives.

Of course, that is not everybody, and I believe you when you say you really do love this, and I respect you for it, in fact I envy you. But I don't, never did. But that does not mean I am not pretty good at it.

Frankly if loving this back-destroying, carpal-tunnel-sydrome inducing, monotony was a hiring requirement, the world would be pretty darn short of good MTs, and those of you who love this work would soon be so overwhelmed, you would get sick of it and hate it too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)