Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I often do not accept work - Retired MT

Posted: Dec 11th, 2015 - 8:32 pm In Reply to: Retired MT - Unbelievable

Here is the thing you don't understand. My clients come to me, I do not solicit work, and I frequently decide against taking an account because it would be too much work.

And I do not compromise on money, or any conditions whatsoever. And if I find the quality of the dictation to be so poor, I have to struggle with it, I won't. I've been there, done that!

You would be shocked, I promise you, if you knew how much I charge. I am not going to bother telling you because you won't believe me. Not only that but I am raising my rates after the first, because I do not agree with Obama that there has been no inflation and social security should not be raised. And if I get dumped, fine. I don't really want to work anyway, and I don't like my paychecks being worth less and less.

But suffice it to say, not all is happy in the VR world, and if you stick to your guns and you really don't care if you get the job or not, you may have a chance to get what you're worth. I don't know that for a fact of course, that is just my experience, and it may be that my "I don't care attitude" is part of the reason I get the money I want.

In answer to your question, about why do this at all. I have recently gotten into quilting. It is an expensive hobby. There are some wonderful, but very expensive machines out there, as expensive as a car, and I covet them. I dream of a beautiful sewing room filled with top of the line everything. So, every now and then, if someone asks me to do something, and I want a Babylock or long-arm or a week retreat at the Missouri Star Quilt Company, or something else, badly enough I may decide to do something about it rather than just longingly watching the video advertisements on You-Tube.

Thus, I may grit my teeth and do a little transcribing -- but then again, maybe not. Sometimes there is more satisfaction in the wanting, then in the getting.

As I said before, I'm retired, I do what I like. I own my house, my car is paid for.

And I am not taking a job away from you. I am most certainly not undercutting you. You are quite welcome to undercut me if you like, but I won't respect you for settling for less because I know what those clients are willing to pay.

But be forewarned, I send my work back as accurate and as perfect as I can make it, I am extremely careful, and barring circumstances beyond my control, I keep my TATs. I have to be worth what I am paid, nobody is going to pay top dollar for bad work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)