Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Thanks but - Retired MT

Posted: Dec 12th, 2015 - 2:21 pm In Reply to: My impression is not that the OP - Sam

I really do hate this job, it is like working on an assembly line, how many times over the last four decades have I typed "the patient tolerated the procedure well . . .?"

Anyway, I am retired, I refuse to work for next to nothing. While I am on a tight enough budget, I do have enough to pay the bills every month with a little left over for fun things, and to give a helping hand to my children if they need it.

Nonetheless, I am willing to take a little work provided I am paid well enough to make up for the fact that I hate doing it and I would rather be doing something else. That is, provided I am not nit-picked about it, provided the doctor is a not sloppy dictator (I don't do sloppy dictation anymore) and provided I am not overloaded. I like having extra money and I have my eye on some very expensive toys as I mentioned earlier.

I have struggled with a very serious illness but I am pretty healthy now, and I do want to do enjoy what years I have left on this earth.

Anyway, the whole point of my original comment is simply this, I agree MT is going to be around for a long while, and most certainly the clients are going to try to get the lowest possible price. But, I personally am not going to go along with it. I am charging what I want to charge, which I assure you is a lot higher than what you are getting, and if they don't like it, they can find those hapless MTs who for some incomprehensible reason are willing to continue this drudgery for a bit of pin money even though they are retired and have enough.

As a free lancer, I am sort of toying with the idea of posting my rules for clients, maybe I will call it "Rules for Radical Free Lance MTs" about the rules I have set in place for my clients, and how to figure out what is a good rate for you to charge so that while, if you are like me, you hate this job, it makes it worth your while.

This will ensure you will not be sitting at your desk fuming at the miserable exploitation you are experiencing and feeling helpless to do anything about it, but rather sitting at your desk thinking, okay, my client is paying me enough to take the time to research any questions I have as I want to make sure each and every report is as perfect as I can make it. When you are being compensated in a manner adequate to the time and effort you put into your work, it makes all the difference in the world.

And I would urge each and every one of you who are retired, or are earning a second income, and can take the risk of doing things my way, to think about giving this a try. It is risky, I can't guarantee success, all I know is that digging in my heels, and refusing to budge has worked for me.

But again, I do have to emphasize this,if you are charging top dollar, you have to be top drawer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)