Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

Frustrated newbie - Thoughts from a non-coder

Posted: Nov 28th, 2015 - 12:18 pm In Reply to: It makes perfect sense, if work is not your hobby... - frustrated newbie

I did the coding program that you are currently involved with. They spend time on government guidelines and regulations because you will need to know them when you go to work, especially with Medicare coding. As I recall, CS introduced ICD-9 (probably now 10) section by section and then had review and coding exercises at the end of each. You will have an opportunity to code charts at the end of the course but first you need to know the rules and guidelines and there are many. There will be many charts to code on your final exam. Everyone has a different learning style. I'm a hands on active learner and that program was not a good fit for me, I'm not sure anything on line would be. I would do much better in a classroom situation with demos and interaction with other students and a live instructor, I would suggest that you contact CS to have an instructor assigned to you that you can contact them with questions. I questioned some of the coding choices that they made in the course, and I generally would cite them and send an e-mail. Sometimes the explanation made sense, sometimes not, but going back and reworking the scenario step by step was helpful. If you want to actively code a chart, practice coding your own. Make up situations to code. The coding manager where I work pulled charts for me to practice on, but that may not be an option for you. I didn't finish my program because of health issues and only have a few years left until I retire so decided to do something else in medical records instead. I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was trying to offer suggestions in regard to what you might do. These comments may be off base but hopefully they will help. I know a lot of what they teach does not seem necessary, but it is there for a reason. Good luck with your classes, hope things improve for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)