Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 31)

removal all caches and temporary files for a starter .... - sandra

Posted: Jul 8th, 2015 - 3:49 pm In Reply to: Suggestions for routine maintenance in Win 7 when it slows down? - Linda

1. remove temporary files -- at start button "find" type: disk cleanup -- there's a wizard

2. check if you need to defrag (It has consistently told me I haven't needed to with this computer after 5 years) -- type "defrag" -- in the start search box

3. clean cache of your browser(s) ... I use an "old" browser for work and recently realized I hadn't cleared it in ages ...

4. Registry clean up (may be available with your Norton)

5. My internet speed varies wildly and is often the culprit I used Speedtest to confirm that is the origin of slowdowns. My Internet provider uses this: http://www.speedtest.net

6. Also, if internet slowness is actually new and/or you've downloaded new software -- check and see what's running and how much CPU it's using (and how many "sessions" it has open.

control-alt-del (x1 only) --- click on task manager then "Processes" tab and it will show you what's running. Some programs (many) start and run "services" automatically on startup. Others, browsers in particular, are just hogs -- I've had problems with Opera and Firefox and try to remember to shut them down periodically.

My Microsoft office runs very very slowly and I don't know why or what to do about it ... always has ... I gather there are processes that can be disabled, but I haven't gotten that desperate ..

hopes this helps

ADVERTISEMENT

Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)