Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Smiling - Backwoods Typist

Posted: Jul 8th, 2015 - 12:20 am In Reply to: Agree many people have no idea - what transcriptionists do

I had to smile at your post. And thank you for wishing me luck. I hope it all works out, but I guess I will have to wait for the answer. Hope you figure out what it is you want to do.

I have mentioned everything I did while at the hospital, actually have most of it on my resume. Even still, it seems like interviewers are unphased. To some, I may "just type" but I am SOO much more. I dealt with doctors and hospital staff, I had continuing education requirements, I had to conduct myself professionally when doctors were less so (and I would have loved to unload on them).

In my short time on earth, I have done a lot of things. I have worked in plant nurseries, a Jiffy Lube, 2 floral shops, the same car dealership twice (quit, then came back years later), labor through a temp agency, restaurant hostess and waitress. I feel that I have dibbed and dabbed enough that I can call myself a jack of trades but master of none. This does not even begin to describe my upbringing around a bunch of men, learning about cars, trucks, woodworking, wood cutting (we heat with wood), gardening, canning, sewing, cooking. I feel privileged and very blessed by my knowledge.

The fields I wanted to specialize in have no offerings locally or are seasonal only and do not offer enough pay to make it worthwhile. I chose a new career which is always expanding and changing and would allow a wide array of choices for me, so if I get bored of one I can move to another. I loved transcription, but after being outsourced to an MTSO, I felt lost and not myself. My motivation is gone. I'm not depressed, and I love working from home and want to continue to do so. Coming home to work was a Godsend, especially for winter travel. It has been especially good for my animal children, both of whom are getting up in age and have become reliant upon my presence at home. A job outside the home right now is just not possible for me. Also my other work at home choices are limited due to internet, either dial-up or satellite (I have satellite).

I would love to work for myself, but the whole idea of having to handle my own taxes, etc. scares the heck outta me. I know my "bigger and better thing" is out there and close at hand, I just have to be patient a little while longer for the right door to open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)