A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hand cramps used as slang for quotes? - ld

Posted: Feb 16, 2010

This is an elderly dictator. 

CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Hand cramps.  I think I have a UTI. 

The rest of the report goes on to talk about abdominal problems and doesn't mention the hands.  I already have "I think I have a UTI" in quotes, but is the hand cramps part some sort of slang for quotation marks, or should I leave it in there?  Thanks. 

It might be hand clamps and not cramps. nm - ld

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

hand clamps - what?

[ In Reply To ..]
what kind of chief complaint would hand clamps be? Maybe abdominal cramps or something on that nature; otherwise no idea.

how about - "he had cramps"...nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, hand cramps is not slang for quotes - Leave it like it is

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are clearly hearing "hand cramps," I would leave it as is. Maybe he didn't have anything more to say about the hand cramps, or he forgot. I wouldn't worry about it making sense. If he said it ... type it. Don't spend any more time trying to figure out his logic or reasoning for it.

Similar Messages:

Calomeg? For Leg Cramps
Nov 14, 2009

Has anyone heard of something that sounds like "calomeg" for leg cramps- I imagine it is a calcium magnesium supplement?  ...

Do You Add Quotes?
Sep 12, 2011

Do you add quotes when the doctor says something like "The patient said I don't know." ?   The doctor does NOT say put in quotes. ...

Question About Quotes And Periods
Mar 26, 2010

I'm doing a psych clinic report and the doctor uses the patient's words in quotes often, and he always dictates it with the period after the quotes, which I learned is wrong, but I am wondering if the entire sentence isn't a quote, only the last part, does that still hold true, such as: The patient states he is tired, doesn't sleep and is "run down" Does the period go before or after the quotes? Thanks ...

A Small Rant About Quotes
Jun 29, 2012

Dear young, somewhat stupid NPT: as dictated:  ...but he is "as good as he'll get." Uh, no.  That's not actually a quote, you know.  The patient did not say he's "as good as he'll get."  I believe he probably said he's "as good as I'll get."  Just FYI. Kthanksbye.   ...

Religious Quotes On Company Emails (sm)
Feb 15, 2010

This has been bothering me for some time now.  First of all, let's make something very clear, I am not an atheist.  I am a very spiritual, moral and ethical person.  However, the supervisors and managers at the company I have been with for about a year now always seem to have a Christian quote appended other their names in the company-based emails.  I am very uncomfortable with that in a work setting, especially with these people being in a position of power&nb ...

Journalist's Story And Wanting Quotes
Sep 14, 2011

S.E. White, I would hope would have said the name of the paper she is writing this article for and if quoted where we can find it, if all is legit.  She posted this question on the Tuesday it was supposedly due at 2 a.m. She was looking here at MTStars for an article due by noon that same day?  Hummm.  Questionable, but then again nobody would believe we have to have a report done in 2 hours for 4 cents either, and the patient still will not get the results from the doctor in ...

Would You Put Quotes Around The Specific Name Of A Form The Patient Filled Out?
Nov 16, 2009

If the doctor is having the patient fill out a specific form and they name that specific form would it have quotes around it? ...

Is This Slang?
Oct 12, 2010

she sometimes "gets off on a tangent" and stutters Would you change it or leave it? thanks! ...

Slang
Jul 04, 2013

When "migs per kig" is dictated does it mean mcg/kg or mg/kg. ...

Tracheostomy Slang
Dec 06, 2010

When a doctor dictates for a tracheostomy and says "trach", is it trach or trache?  Also, is it okay to type trach or trache, or should you put tracheostomy? Thanks. ...

Slang Term: Reo?
Mar 17, 2014

Hi - This dictator keeps referring to the patient being seen by s/l rio (reo? reho?).  I am thinking this has something to do with postop PT/OT, anesthesia, epidural.  Patient is recovering from orthopedic surgery and "rio" keeps coming in to see them on a daily basis. Any assistance would be most appreciated!!  Thank you in advance! ...

Doctor Slang Word
Mar 31, 2011

The doctor is saying: He will undergo the procedure with the s/l perbazo that this may increase his sugars. I'm having trouble finding this word on google and I know I've heard it before but just can't put my finger on it. Thanks so much for any help! ...

Slang In Blood Test Results.
Nov 28, 2009

I am sort of a newbie and have been doing clinic work for a couple different specialties for about a year now.  I am trying to help out with oncology over the weekend.  I know this is a probably a stupid question, but should I leave this like this or replace the slang with the full terms?  Thanks.  Differential includes 69 segs, 1 band, 20 lymphs, 8 monos, 1 eo, 1 meta.  ...

Where Do You Find List Of Things Considered Slang Terms For SS
Feb 09, 2012

Cannot find ...

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

Is This A New Doctors "slang" That I Haven't Heard
Feb 15, 2010

Is this some kind of doctorize for ligament laxity, or something else entirely?? Would welcome any help here. Examination under moderate sedation showed a positive Lachman, questionable s/l "lilax" (not relax) posterior cruciate and lateral collateral and a third-degree MCL. ...

"K Bath" - ?slang, Legit-sm
Mar 24, 2010

Context:  renal patient with hypokalemia.  "I will give a single dose of potassium and adjust his K bath".  ...

Not Sure If This Is A Word Or A Slang Word A Doctor Is Using
Dec 15, 2009

I am doing a diction of and Gasto Operative report on a patient who is having a End colostmy and Hartmann pouch resection! The doctor keeps dictating the work "parin"  Example:   Take down colostomy with segmental sigmoid resection and low pelvic EA stabled rectosigmoid anastomosis parin 31 mm end parin.   I have referenced this in many ways and still come up with nothing... Does anyone have  a clue what this is or what it means Thank you ...

"tap" For Ascites - ?slang - Sm
Jun 27, 2011

I've been transcribing this word for years and it dawned on me that I've never verified it anywhere.  Is it slang and we should substitute/recast or is it acceptable medical terminology?  "Massive ascites; status post therapeutic tap."  "Ultrasound revealed a great deal of ascitic fluid and the patient was tapped." Thanks.  ...

Gout In Hand
Jan 08, 2010

I am experiencing gout in my left hand which is very painful.  Has anyone had this?  Any advice for still being able to work?  The doctor has put meon colchicine, prednisone and Vicodin.  Thanks in advance for any advice! ...

Raise Your Hand If....
Mar 15, 2010

.... you were not trained thru an MT school but had equivalent medical studies schooling/background/hospital work... and managed to market yourself or simply applied to jobs and found yourself a start as an MT (in otherwords, without going thru any special "MT course" or certification since you had already gone thru university level courses in which you learned the same required medical subjects).If this is you, please tell me your story. ...

Right Hand Dominant
Jul 01, 2010

Is this correct?    right-hand-dominant male One of my doctors uses this phrase all the time and this is always the way I have typed it. I just want to know if I am typing it correctly, and if it is not correct what is the correct way to type it? My thanks to anyone who answers ...

Transcend Hand-off
Jun 17, 2010

I work at a hospital that will shortly transition over to Health Management Associates.  I have seen on their website they outsource all  transcription work to Transcend.  Right now all transcriptionists will be staying put but probably the first of year that will not be the case - can someone tell me anything about this company?  Line rate, ease of making good counts, etc.  Thanks. ...

Hand Controls
Sep 05, 2010

I am having a lot of trouble with pain in my knees when using the foot pedal.  Does any know of any type of hand controls?  Thanks! ...

Hand Position
Oct 19, 2010

Pt with joint pain. When pt turns his "right hand in the ______ position and tries to grip something, he has pain in his thumb". s/l - c-plane..?  Thanks! ...

Hand Laceration
Jul 27, 2011

Here's the text:  Examination of the right hand reveals a long jagged laceration extending from the palmar surface into the web space.  It is roughly 4.5 cm in length.  It is full thickness and when the fingers are spread apart, the volar surface of the 1st phalange can be visualized through the wound.  Volar?  I'm not sure if that's what I'm hearing...it sounds like it starts with a b, like bowler or buller.  I know what volar is, but does it fi ...

Hand Exam
Jan 25, 2012

She has full active range of motion.  She has no irritation of the s/l **SBR**.  She is able to make a fist.  She has 5/5 strength throughout her right hand.  ...

Hand Test?
Mar 06, 2012

He is talking about passive ROM of the fingers. "the right hand had a small nodule on the volar aspect of the metacarpophalangeal joint on the middle finger which was tender with no locking" s/l AB demonstrated. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

Hand Surgeons
Sep 25, 2012

I have worked in orthopedics and there is a possible opportunity for a hand surgeon.  Where can I find references or just common terminology for surgical notes that focus on the hands.  I have stedman's references for surgery and orthopedics, but I was hoping there was some kind of guide for transcriptionist of hand surgeons.  I know there are so many references out there, but whenever I google I am getting such a broad spectrum and nothing that seems to really be w ...

Hand Surgery
Dec 03, 2012

Sentence is:  ". . . interdigital nerve identified.  This was teased free of the adjacent vascular structures and retracted RSV and dissected proximal." I cannot find RSV.  Could it be something else? ...