A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

tracheostomy slang - jr

Posted: Dec 06, 2010

When a doctor dictates for a tracheostomy and says "trach", is it trach or trache?  Also, is it okay to type trach or trache, or should you put tracheostomy?

Thanks.

slang - Brython

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I prefer not to type slang, and use the full word when I'm certain what they want. That may depend on your company's preferences, though - my supervisor told me when I started that it was never wrong to use the whole word when abbreviations or slang were spoken.

However, if I were going to use the slang, I'd type "trach."

Where I work we do not use slang at all, unless in - a quote from the patient.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

They may dictate using slang... - But...

[ In Reply To ..]
...expect that you will type out the whole word.

Similar Messages:

Tracheostomy
Aug 24, 2010

tracheostomy tube:  tip is at "???" level i've been looking into this one for what feels like ages... ...

Tracheostomy Terminology
Mar 28, 2012

"Ongoing tracheostomy with 8 liters of oxygen per the s/l HAG (or HEG) flow by." I haven't found anything with the "HAG" or "HEG" yet or even anything on a tracheostomy "flow by".  He sometimes dictates things backwards and I have to reword quite a bit.   ...

Is This Slang?
Oct 12, 2010

she sometimes "gets off on a tangent" and stutters Would you change it or leave it? thanks! ...

Slang
Jul 04, 2013

When "migs per kig" is dictated does it mean mcg/kg or mg/kg. ...

S/l FiO2 On 35% Tracheostomy Mask Is 92%
Jul 30, 2010

s/l FiO2 on 35% tracheostomy mask is 92%. I'm used to FiO2 being a much lower number.  Does this make sense? ...

Tracheostomy - SCIP Protocol
Nov 03, 2011

Cannot verify "SCIP/SKIP" protocol will not be used.  Any verifications/thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Slang Term: Reo?
Mar 17, 2014

Hi - This dictator keeps referring to the patient being seen by s/l rio (reo? reho?).  I am thinking this has something to do with postop PT/OT, anesthesia, epidural.  Patient is recovering from orthopedic surgery and "rio" keeps coming in to see them on a daily basis. Any assistance would be most appreciated!!  Thank you in advance! ...

Infection Around The Tracheostomy Site - Hypen?
May 14, 2010

Patient has chronic infection around his tracheotomy site, but he dictates it as "chronic Staph infection peri tracheal site." Should this be hyphenated? Smooshed together? Left seperated as above?   Thanks! ...

Doctor Slang Word
Mar 31, 2011

The doctor is saying: He will undergo the procedure with the s/l perbazo that this may increase his sugars. I'm having trouble finding this word on google and I know I've heard it before but just can't put my finger on it. Thanks so much for any help! ...

Slang In Blood Test Results.
Nov 28, 2009

I am sort of a newbie and have been doing clinic work for a couple different specialties for about a year now.  I am trying to help out with oncology over the weekend.  I know this is a probably a stupid question, but should I leave this like this or replace the slang with the full terms?  Thanks.  Differential includes 69 segs, 1 band, 20 lymphs, 8 monos, 1 eo, 1 meta.  ...

Hand Cramps Used As Slang For Quotes?
Feb 16, 2010

This is an elderly dictator.  CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Hand cramps.  I think I have a UTI.  The rest of the report goes on to talk about abdominal problems and doesn't mention the hands.  I already have "I think I have a UTI" in quotes, but is the hand cramps part some sort of slang for quotation marks, or should I leave it in there?  Thanks.  ...

S/l RS Gag And Is Now On Aerosol Tracheostomy Collar With A Passy-Muir Valve
May 19, 2010

He has not been able to pass his s/l RS gag and is now on aerosol tracheostomy collar with a Passy-Muir valve, and his speech is clear. ...

Tracheostomy Procedure...We Asked Anesthesia To Withdrawn Their Tube And Placed Our
May 25, 2010

s/l "8 Jackson 9" tracheostomy under direct visualization. ...

Where Do You Find List Of Things Considered Slang Terms For SS
Feb 09, 2012

Cannot find ...

Pt Underwent An "elect Out" Tracheostomy. (larynx Cancer)
Sep 11, 2011

:) ...

S/l "platiso" Muscle (tracheostomy)
Sep 15, 2012

A new dictator to me is dictating an tracheostomy.  He says, "Incision was carried down through the subcutaneous tissue and s/l platiso muscle using the Bovie." I have googled neck muscles. Maybe I'm not seeing the correct muscle group, but if someone know what this is, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.   ...

Is This A New Doctors "slang" That I Haven't Heard
Feb 15, 2010

Is this some kind of doctorize for ligament laxity, or something else entirely?? Would welcome any help here. Examination under moderate sedation showed a positive Lachman, questionable s/l "lilax" (not relax) posterior cruciate and lateral collateral and a third-degree MCL. ...

"K Bath" - ?slang, Legit-sm
Mar 24, 2010

Context:  renal patient with hypokalemia.  "I will give a single dose of potassium and adjust his K bath".  ...

Not Sure If This Is A Word Or A Slang Word A Doctor Is Using
Dec 15, 2009

I am doing a diction of and Gasto Operative report on a patient who is having a End colostmy and Hartmann pouch resection! The doctor keeps dictating the work "parin"  Example:   Take down colostomy with segmental sigmoid resection and low pelvic EA stabled rectosigmoid anastomosis parin 31 mm end parin.   I have referenced this in many ways and still come up with nothing... Does anyone have  a clue what this is or what it means Thank you ...

"tap" For Ascites - ?slang - Sm
Jun 27, 2011

I've been transcribing this word for years and it dawned on me that I've never verified it anywhere.  Is it slang and we should substitute/recast or is it acceptable medical terminology?  "Massive ascites; status post therapeutic tap."  "Ultrasound revealed a great deal of ascitic fluid and the patient was tapped." Thanks.  ...