A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Religious quotes on company emails (sm) - Long time MT

Posted: Feb 15, 2010

This has been bothering me for some time now.  First of all, let's make something very clear, I am not an atheist.  I am a very spiritual, moral and ethical person.  However, the supervisors and managers at the company I have been with for about a year now always seem to have a Christian quote appended other their names in the company-based emails.  I am very uncomfortable with that in a work setting, especially with these people being in a position of power above me.  I don't think politics or religion are appropriate at work (unless that is your work setting).  Who is to say that the MT getting the email isn't Jewish or Buddhist or whatever?  I am in a quandary what to do because I feel if I lodge a complaint about it, then I will be harassed for being offended?  Any thoughts on this? 

My thoughts - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Lighten up.

I wonder if you would say lighten up if it was from the Koran, though. - also anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Precisely (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You made a perfect point. Thanks to all of you who took my concern seriously. Obviously, I will just keep on trying to ignore it, even though it bothers me on a number of levels.

Personal quotes on company e-mails - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't like any personal quotes on company e-mails, regardless of content. For me it's not a question of being "lightened up" or not, but rather receiving so many e-mails during the week that I prefer them to be free of "extras". Fortunately only get e-mails from one person who does this [quotes are not religious] and I don't hear from this person often, so I've left it alone.

Whether to raise the issue with your employer, guess it depends on how much it really bothers you and what kind of relationship you have. As far as concern over others being offended, I would think they could raise the issue themselves if they are bothered.

Actually it is a pet peeve of mine even on personal e-mails because once you've read the quote, joke, or whatever, you really don't need to see it again--and again. Even something that was amusing the first time you read it is definitely not going to be as funny 50 times later -- kind of like a commercial that made you laugh, until they ran it a dozen times in one hour ! :)

I think that's reeeealllly creepy..... - plus they should know better. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Since this is coming from mngt I'm not sure what you can do, - except try to ignore it.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Pick your battles carefully. Don't cause - trouble for yourself s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
unnecessarily.

Yeah, let it go. It has nothing to do with your job anyway. - Who cares? NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

if you are not personally offended, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
then why not just ignore it? I see lots of things on any given day that I don't particularly like, just like some of the posts here. But if it is coming from mgmt, I think if you are going to challenge it, you'd best have a backup job. If this is a national company, would you please tell us which one it is too?

If you are so offended because the messages are - NotPC

[ In Reply To ..]
Christian, why don't you resign, move on to a more politically correct environment? I'm sure there are plenty of others who would not be offended to read Christian quotes on company emails but would instead be thankful to be gainfully employed.

"In the midst of a world of light and love, of song and feast and dance, [Lucifer] could find nothing to think of more interesting than his own prestige." C. S. Lewis

As a Lewis devotee I don't think he would appreciate - his quote used in this context

[ In Reply To ..]
First, it's irrelevant to this situation and the position of the original poster.

Second, it's snide...and Lewis was never snide.

Third, Lewis would never have condoned what he would have called "shoving your religion in someone's face". In fact, that's precisely the sort of advice that Screwtape would have given to his "trainee demon" Wormwood after Wormwood slipped up and allowed his "patient" to be converted to Christianity.

"Don't worry", Screwtape would have said. "All is not lost and we can still deliver him to Our Father Below. Make him proud of his new religion. Have him parade his religion around in front of all his friends. Soon, he will become a social bore, disliked and avoided by all who know him. When he begins to notice that all of his acquaintances scurry to the other side of the street on his approach, when he begins to realize that he is isolated and alienated from the friends of his youth, when his own mother pretends to be have pressing engagements whenever he telephones...we'll get him back."

Don't think it irrelevant at all. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP only thinks of her/his own personal offense without regard to what others might think and probably does not consider there might be others in that workplace who enjoy and want the encouragement of the Christian email messages. Rather Luciferian to always think of self and one's own importance.

LOL and Amen!! NM - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

religion is like opinion; everyone has one. Ignore it. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

Certainly misguided but - probably best ignored

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a cause of action in employer-employee law called "creating a hostile workplace" and this probably would come close to, or cross, that line. My spouse works for an employer who is equally offensive with respect to constantly pushing his political views in a very "aggressive" way. Predictably, employees who agree with him don't mind it and those who disagree feel that they're constantly being pressured to go along with him or else they feel that they have to disguise or suppress their personal opinions.

He's never threatened anyone's job over this as far as I know, but the constant barrage does make the workplace very uncomfortable.

The "hostile workplace" complaint also frequently arises when an employer (or superior) is constantly making sexual references, telling coarse jokes, using foul language or expressing a sexist or racist viewpoint.

Note that the employer does not have to DO anything other than to create OR TOLERATE such an atmosphere. With respect to racism, for instance, the employer doesn't have to take some adverse ACTION against employees of a particular race; all that is necessary to create a hostile atmosphere is to make inappropriate remarks, jokes, etc - or allow other employees to do so. Even posting a cartoon or picture with such objectionable content would qualify.

All of these, of course, exhibit insensitivity to the personal feelings of employees and intrude on an employee's "personal space" (including their personal faith, political views, etc.) in a way that some might reasonably characterize as harassment.

On the other hand, in the form that you describe, and given the current job situation, the length of time it takes to "come up to speed" in a new job (which adds up to monetary loss), and the fact that there is always uncertainty about how a complaint would be received, I'd probably recommend as a friend that you ignore it if possible. However, if it simply gets to the point that it's making your working environment miserable, a courteous request, explaining that you are not comfortable with this, would be the place to start before doing anything else. Perhaps you might put it in terms something like: "I'm sure that you wouldn't be comfortable if I were to sign all of my emails with quotations from Wiccan literature or the humanist philosophers."

There are worse things... - luvzminis

[ In Reply To ..]
it's a little unusual, but with all the shenanigans going on in the world today, there are about 10 billion other things that bother me more than a simple religious quote, which is usually used to uplift and inspire others. I can bet my life there is no type of "conspiracy" here. I know people who use such quotes on mail, etc. and they're innocent, positive thinking types. Personally, I'm inspired by such.

It's rude and not professional and not appropriate to - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
send Christian quotes in emails. Period. Anyone should know better, atheist or Christian. Its pushing YOUR religion on everyone else. If the writers are the real right-wingers, then they also consider it as adding a jewel in their glorious crown in Heaven having "witnessed" to such-and-such a number of "lost souls" on a daily basis. It's disgusting and completely inappropriate, and, Yes, I am a Christian. People like those who send out these emails with their unrequested inspirational hogwash are the reason so many unbelievers are further pushed away - the message is shoved down their throats. Bet there would be zero tolerance of Kabbalah quotes, or the Koran as mentioned, Native American spirituality, or even sports stastistics from the weekend football game. Business is business and should not stick its little tiny toe across the line dividing business with religion. Otherwise, its selfish and offensive and immature of the sender to so vainly think they are uplifting the masses. Pulleeese!! Jesus didn't push himself on anybody, and I'm sure he'd avoid Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or even email. LOL

Thank you, QA! (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You expressed it so well. It is offensive because the person doing it has no idea what the belief system is of the recipient. I've always felt that certain topics are not appropriate for the work place.

I'd let it go, but the company is holding itself open - for a possible lawsuit. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Completely agree with you - Sam

[ In Reply To ..]
I experienced the same thing and I didn't like it whatsoever. It can be offensive to those with other beliefs and has no business being on company correspondence. Highly unprofessional and may be even unconstitutional??

Let's look at this realistically.... - luvzminis

[ In Reply To ..]
One thing I think we need to watch, though, is that these days Christians are being constantly attacked by secularists. Perhaps subconsciously, we have picked up on that and are getting (unfair) negative vibes on Christians in general. The media and Washington (current administration) certainly aren't helping the problem.
As for the verses, odd yes, but are they really so offensive? The ones I have seen are uplifting and meant to encourage. Let's not get too introspective on things like this. We have much more to worry about when we see so many attacks on Christians in general.

Similar Messages:

Company Still Sending Emails.
Aug 18, 2012

I quit working for On-Time Transcription due to VR and lack of income; also the fact they sold to Accentus.  I get emails almost daily where QA is complaining about this or that.  I've replied asking that she remove my email address as I quit and would really appreciate never hearing from this company again.  I've received two more today.  Ugh.  Just shows how they are unable to get things done. ...

Off Due To Religious Holiday? Anyone Know....
Jan 15, 2015

if your employer has to give you the day off WITHOUT you using your PTO for a religious holiday you celebrate, such as Easter ??? Thank you. ...

Religious Reasons For Not Changing Your Hours, Can You Get UE?
Jan 29, 2013

It may be state to state also but let's say you had a religious reason for not working saturdays or sundays and they said to you "if you work sundays and saturdays you will have work" but you were not hired to work these dates as you stated when you were hired it was because of religious reasons, can you get unemployment? They are changing your schedule that you didn't sign up for, for a reason, religious objection. Just wondering. ...

Do You Add Quotes?
Sep 12, 2011

Do you add quotes when the doctor says something like "The patient said I don't know." ?   The doctor does NOT say put in quotes. ...

Question About Quotes And Periods
Mar 26, 2010

I'm doing a psych clinic report and the doctor uses the patient's words in quotes often, and he always dictates it with the period after the quotes, which I learned is wrong, but I am wondering if the entire sentence isn't a quote, only the last part, does that still hold true, such as: The patient states he is tired, doesn't sleep and is "run down" Does the period go before or after the quotes? Thanks ...

A Small Rant About Quotes
Jun 29, 2012

Dear young, somewhat stupid NPT: as dictated:  ...but he is "as good as he'll get." Uh, no.  That's not actually a quote, you know.  The patient did not say he's "as good as he'll get."  I believe he probably said he's "as good as I'll get."  Just FYI. Kthanksbye.   ...

Hand Cramps Used As Slang For Quotes?
Feb 16, 2010

This is an elderly dictator.  CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Hand cramps.  I think I have a UTI.  The rest of the report goes on to talk about abdominal problems and doesn't mention the hands.  I already have "I think I have a UTI" in quotes, but is the hand cramps part some sort of slang for quotation marks, or should I leave it in there?  Thanks.  ...

Journalist's Story And Wanting Quotes
Sep 14, 2011

S.E. White, I would hope would have said the name of the paper she is writing this article for and if quoted where we can find it, if all is legit.  She posted this question on the Tuesday it was supposedly due at 2 a.m. She was looking here at MTStars for an article due by noon that same day?  Hummm.  Questionable, but then again nobody would believe we have to have a report done in 2 hours for 4 cents either, and the patient still will not get the results from the doctor in ...

Would You Put Quotes Around The Specific Name Of A Form The Patient Filled Out?
Nov 16, 2009

If the doctor is having the patient fill out a specific form and they name that specific form would it have quotes around it? ...

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

I Have Had It. I Get Emails The Other Day
Sep 21, 2010

that we cannot send reports with more than 3 blanks through on TWO of the accounts I work on.  Right now, I have one of the worst dictators on one of those accounts.  She is ESL and she whispers.  To top it off, someone is standing very close to her running a VACUUM CLEANER. I CAN'T HEAR her because she is whispering and the vacuum is running.  So, yay me.  I will probably have more than 3 blanks because of all this and will have to send it to QA even though they ...

Emails Like The One We Just Got About PTO,
Oct 17, 2014

all the red tape, the power over our lives, no flexibility anymore, no mercy in case of emergencies or appointments, lists and lists of rules.... I work every single other holiday there is all year long, hoping to take off Tgiving and Xmas.  I work NY Eve, NY, Easter, 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc.  But even though there's never any work on those 2 major holidays, apparently now we MUST work one of them, i.e., ruin all family plans just to get NJA all day anyway.  ...

When I Get Those Emails Saying
Dec 07, 2014

I feel like saying: Hey, no thanks, I already have 4 accounts, 2 of which I have no interest in. Here's an idea, how about you get all those people on my accounts, which I have been doing for years, off of them, so that I can have my work back? How about you get them off my accounts and give THEM the new accounts? I have enough trouble making decent line counts at all because: (a) no work because overstaffed on my primary. (b) secondary and tertiary accounts unfamiliar and pages of new ...

MQ Central Emails
Oct 27, 2009

Has anyone else not gotten any emails on MQ Central.  I have not gotten 1 since 10/22/2009???  Not even the daily tip????? ...

Has Anybody Else Gotten Emails Today From Their CTL
Nov 16, 2009

Has anybody else gotten emails today from their CTL.  I have gotten 4-5 of them so far from both CTLs in my area.  I thought this position was suppose to have been eliminated.  I wonder if they had a change in plans? ...

We Have Been Getting Emails From Corporate
Apr 02, 2010

about how wonderful we are.  We are on the list of Best of the Best.  Keep up the good work.  Our QA submission is down thanks to all of you.  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  YET!  THIS EMAIL ABOUT NO MERIT INCREASE AND 401K JUST HAPPENED TO NOT BE SENT BY EMAIL, BUT IN MQCENTRAL.    HOW CONVENIENT FOR THEM!  GEE, I WONDER WHY NO PERSONAL EMAIL? ...

CCM Not Responding To Emails
Apr 27, 2010

Is anyone else out there wondering why their CCM won't respond to emails.  I sometimes get a response in a few days.  Sometimes I never get a response.  What's up with that? ...

Deleting Old Emails
Aug 17, 2010

The company I used to work for didn't want us to delete old emails in their system. I can't find anything in MQ saying if we are allowed to delete old emails or if we are supposed to keep them all. Anyone know?   ...

Emails About Webinars...
Dec 29, 2010

I just got an email about webinars and I would love to take the one about grammar and punctuation but it costs $125!  Is there anything out there like this that's free?  I can afford free. And I feel like I need to take an ASR refresher after reading the posts below.  For one thing, I complete forgot about the F11.  ...

What Do You All Think Of The Below Message. Ccm Emails
Nov 23, 2011

My ccm sends out emails about her personal life to share.  I do not know how far we can go on here but its about her expected bundle of joy in the not too far off future. To me it does not seem professional.  The first time I saw the subject line I thought we were all getting a raise and then I thought wait, that would be wayyyy off here.  What do you all think? ...

Emails Monitoring How Much We Do
May 07, 2012

Well, I will not be reading these emails calculating how much time we are working and "goofing off."  They will only make me less motivated and quite frankly angry.  I am not a robot, there are times after a long difficult report that I have to step away from the computer to give my brain a few minute break.  As long as I do the required long count and then some, I will not concern myself with this emails. ...

I Have All My Emails Still. Did Anybody Get Their Email
Oct 17, 2012

s ...

Ever Get The Emails That The Client Is
Dec 17, 2012

Well I would like to email the client and complain to them about the dictations that they expect me to make sense out of.  I have this one particular doc that is not only speaking so fast the tape is cut down to 80%, but she is whispering.  Afterall it is confidential info, so lets whisper so you can't hear the mess she is attempting to say.  Ugh all in a days work of stress and frustration.  Here comes my low LPH. ...

Reviewing Old Emails...
Apr 18, 2013

Slightly paranoid about being audited now since I'm reporting NJA instead of working 24/7.  It's amazing just how many reminder emails we get and how many minute details for each account.  I'm forwarding to my email to have just in case I'm ever managed out and need to defend myself along with the good and sometimes bad audits I've had.  I'm human.  Don't make huge amount of errors, but definitely not perfect...   ...

Now Emails Regarding Errors
Jul 05, 2013

For the past few days, I've been getting system generated emails with my errors. Anyone else?? So just want to leave... I may end up doing so by end of day. ...

Watch Your Emails
Oct 03, 2013

Just recently our QC sent out an email to an MT in our group for a HIPAA error and blind copied all the MT/MME in the BOB.  This poor MT would never have known unless others came forward and reported that they got this email in error. Make sure that if you get an email it is only coming to you.  I really hope she files a complaint with HR for shaming her in front of her peers.  Don't look, don't share apparently does not apply to anyone other than MT/MME. ...

Does Anyone Know How To Block Certain Emails?
May 07, 2014

I would rather not receive emails from FIASCO and would like to block them. Is that possible? Their nastygrams cause me to make MORE mistakes, not less. When are they going to realize the damaging psychology behind this charade? ...

Redundant Emails??
Nov 20, 2014

Anybody else getting inundated with emails from the new TSA regarding a "reminder" about the pay period ending on Saturday? She sends them out almost daily!!! I'm trying to work and having to check my email and see that it is yet another email from her makes me want to pull out my hair! ...

So What Is The Point Of All These Emails Anyway
Dec 10, 2014

Backlog is such and such, and I care about this why? I have a schedule to work, if there is no work, I sign off because there is no work. If the backlog is low, I can't say screw it and go back to bed, I work until there is no work. And the Smart Summary, I have no idea what the purpose of that is, anyone? Quality and blanks reports,hum, no idea there either. Talk about waste of money and justifying your existence, not to mention wasting my time. ...