A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cranial nerves - arabic or roman #s - ADHI? - KateMT

Posted: May 20, 2010

I need documentation about cranial nerves.  Got QA edited from using roman numerals, i.e. cranial nerves II through XII versus cranial nerves 2 through 12.  According to my notes, either is okay, but QA said preferred way is 2 through 12, and I got "edited" for it.  Ugh. Anybody?  Thanks. 

Cranial nerves - arabic or roman #s - Oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
Per AAMT it says "cranial nerves
Use arabic or roman numerals for cranial nerve designations. Be consistent. (Employer or client will often indicate preference.)

cranial nerve 12 cranial nerve XII
cranial nerves 2-12 cranial nerves II-XII Copyright (c) 2002 American Association for Medical Transcription"

So either is allowed. If any points were taken for that error, I would dispute it based on AAMT guidelines. There is nothing in DQS that states our company prefers arabic to roman in this instance. I am not a QA, but I am an MME and I personally use roman numerals for cranial nerves all the time and have never been called for it. That would be my take on it anyway. Ask where it is documented that Medquist prefers 1-2 versus II-XII. If it isn't documented, they can't charge you points for it. Good Luck.

Ya, I was taught arabic 1,2,3,etc. - Grady

[ In Reply To ..]

The norm now is arabic numbers, however, it is whatever - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
your client wants. Both of mine still use Roman numerals.

Similar Messages:

Are Cranial Nerves No Longer Roman Numerals?
Feb 25, 2015

xx ...

Cranial Nerves.....
Nov 10, 2009

I'm thinking the BOS says that both ways are acceptable.... am I wrong?   Cranial nerves II through XII. Cranial nerves 2-12.     ...

Question About Grade, Arabic Or Roman...sm
Nov 01, 2012

I was always taught that grade is always arabic and stage Roman but someone recently told me that is not the case for orthopedic terms, grade III spondylolysis and grade III medial meniscus tear.  Does anyone know if this is correct? ...

Spanish Dictator. Cranial Nerves Exam - Smaller Right Pupil, No Ptosis, No Change In "sweating
Aug 15, 2014

x ...

Kidney Disease Class -- Roman Or Arabic?
Oct 29, 2009

I've seen kidney disease classifications both Arabic and Roman.  Which is correct?  I've been using Arabic, but I just had an editor change a report to Roman.  I'm confused and can't find it in BOS2.  Thanks! ...

Sleep Stages - Roman Or Arabic Numerals?
Aug 05, 2012

All literature, including internet, seems to use arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals. Cannot identify who originated sleep stage classification to definitively determine which. Anyone out there know? ...

Neck Dissection Levels - Arabic Or Roman? Nm
Oct 10, 2013

. ...

Obtuse Marginal Branches - Roman Or Arabic Numbers?
Feb 24, 2010

Is it "left circumflex obtuse marginal II" or "left circumflex obtuse marginal 2"?  Thanks.  ...

Are Ortho Grades And Types Roman Numerals Or Arabic
Oct 26, 2010

Are ortho grades and types Roman numerals or Arabic?  ...

Stage Kidney Disease - Arabic Or Roman? (not Cancer)
May 26, 2013

Nothing in BOS, at least that I could find. Couldn't find anything on Loma Linda University site. Don't recognize the Google hits for arabic.  Anyone know?  Thanks.  ...

How Do We Write Stages Of Labour? ARABIC OR ROMAN NUMERALS?
Jul 23, 2014

how to write stages of labour:  stage 1,2,3 or I, II, III? ...

Fluoroscopically Target Starting At Level I - Arabic Of Roman?
Jun 26, 2015

Also this is treatment for renal calculus, I guess lithotriptsy, but in the name of the procedure he mumbles something starting in what S/L "He______".  Any ideas.  Thank you!  ...

Pt Iwth Brain Cancer, Dictated, "he Had Deficits In Cranial Nerves II, III, IV, VI V2"
May 23, 2011

he had deficits in cranial nerves II, III, IV, VI V2.  In previous dictation, by a different doctor, it was dictated "cranial nerves II, III, IV, VI, and V branch 2" ...

In The Sentence: "Step 2 Heart Healthy Diet." Should The 2 Be Arabic Number 2 Or A Roman
Jun 03, 2011

In the sentence: "Step 2 heart healthy diet."  Should the 2 be Arabic number 2 or a Roman numeral II? ...

Stage Vs Stage/ Roman Vs Arabic
Oct 01, 2013

Is stage capitalized or not as a general rule?  What about as it pertains to renal?  And do we now use arabic or roman numerals?  - perplexed!  Thanks for your help!! ...

Did ADHI
Nov 24, 2013

their initials are decide that we now put HENT instead of HEENT? ASR has started putting HENT in the last week (at least on my accounts). Are they trying to squeeze that extra E out of us to save money for the shareholders? ...

ADHI Vot For Mandatory Credentials
Aug 15, 2010

Did they vote to give themselves all a raise too?  They can have thier little votes amongst themselves until the cows come home.  It's never going to happen!  Not as long as so much work is allowed to be outsourced over seas.  It would be different if they were actually advocates for MTs and the industry as a whole, instead of promoting their own agenda.  Then, maybe they would actually be respected by the MTs themselves.  We need hea ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Everyone Should Read The ADHI Article On The
Mar 04, 2011

Advance for HIM website regarding credntialing for all MTs.  ...

ADHI Finally Got Something Right! NEMT
Aug 10, 2012

ADHI named NEMT as the employer of the year, which for once I actually agree with them on!  Aftering being with this company for over 2 years I have to say they are awesome to work for. For example, The owner sends emails to all the ICs letting them know what is going on with the company as a whole, rather than keeping everyeone in the dark and having everything be all hush hush and on a need to know basis.   We get paid weekly and get $50 each quarter for passing our audits.   ...

What Is The ATA? The Sound Like ADHI In Sheep's Clothing
Dec 28, 2010

I just saw a posting by the ATA.  They sound like ADHI (wolf) in sheep's clothing.  Their "dues" are also astronomical.   If these companies were legitimate they would charge "dues" more in focus with what a medical transcriptionist earns.  I for one cannot afford $100.00 a year for dues to any club, job or otherwise. If anybody not from ATA has more information on this groop please inform me. ...

ADHI's Acute Care Module
Jan 29, 2012

I saw that ADHI offers an acute care module for those of us looking to get into acute care transcription. I have been doing OBGYN. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth it? ...

QASAR Back. Also New ADHI Best Practices In 2011
Dec 16, 2010

Here's the link for ADHI Quality Assessment and Best Practices http://www.ahdionline.org/Portals/0/downloads/QABestPracticesJuly2010.pdf or http://tinyurl.com/AHDI-best-practices In this document, they do point out there are valid reasons for blanks. So... if MQ is going to adopt this, we should no longer be punished for valid blanks. They also include standards for dictators and recognize that lack of dictator compliance with these standards is a cause for blanks. Plus, IMO, ...

Cranial Exam Help Please Sm
Aug 18, 2010

Cranial nerves intact.  Motor power symmetrical.  Normal gait.  Negative Romberg's test.  Normal cerebellar testing without dysmetria and dysdiadochokinesia.     Doc says "template neurologic normal.  Cranial nerves intact except for the hearing loss"  What part of this template would you take out.     This is a new doc for me.  Thanks ...

Maybe I'm Having Cranial Flatus....Retro-ly
Aug 04, 2011

I am doing an OP report that is not a strict verbatim and is able to be corrected to best English.  The dictator says:  Tibial guide retrocut was placed, drilled, and then reamed "retro-ly".  He stumbled around a bit before settling on "retro-ly" because he, too, knew that couldn't be correct, but he, like me, has blanked on what the heck it should be.  Plantar is plantarly, lateral is laterally....what does retro become?  Does it just get stretched out to retrograd ...

Basal Versus Basilar Cistern In Cranial CT
Nov 17, 2009

In a cranial CT I have always transcribed "basal" cistern, but in the report I have, the doctor clearly is stating "basilar" cistern.  The Stedman's electronic dictionary I have shows "basal" cistern also.  Can someone tell me which is correct, or are they interchangeable?  Thank you. ...

In Cranial Nerve Exam Patient Has *cysgingeal* Hyperplasia?? Thanks. Nm
Apr 01, 2011

nm ...

Roman Numerals As Ordinals - Sm
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone got a solid reference for this?  D:  "Exam reveals a sixth nerve palsy." Does it stay as an unadulterated Roman numeral ("...a VI nerve palsy"), get a superscript "th" (which formatting our system doesn't retain) or does it change to word (as above)?  Thanks! ...

Liver Segments Numeric Or Roman Numeral?
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know if it matters if the liver segments are roman numerals or numeric?  If you know the answer, give reference to where you find it.  Thanks ...

Cranial Nerve Exam- No Abnormal "sigh-cat-ick" Movement
Jun 08, 2010

nm ...