A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

sleep stages - Roman or arabic numerals? - mtgranny

Posted: Aug 05, 2012

All literature, including internet, seems to use arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals. Cannot identify who originated sleep stage classification to definitively determine which. Anyone out there know?

Arabic - sm - je suis MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Often preceded by the letter "N", i.e., "stage N2" (old way was "S2").
Also, REM is sometimes referred to as "stage R".

See link: R&K is the sleep "bible", and AASM governing body.

Followup - mtgranny

[ In Reply To ..]
Just what I needed! Thank you

Arabic, unless you work for Nuance and account specs - say "stages" are roman numerals

[ In Reply To ..]
For all the accounts I've been on at Nuance so far, the account guidelines say that "stages" are always transcribed in roman numerals. So if the doctor refers to "stage one" sleep, you are required to transcribe that as "stage I" sleep or else you will be penalized. It doesn't matter what the literature or professional sleep organizations or anyone else says or thinks; the account specs are God.

Similar Messages:

How Do We Write Stages Of Labour? ARABIC OR ROMAN NUMERALS?
Jul 23, 2014

how to write stages of labour:  stage 1,2,3 or I, II, III? ...

Are Ortho Grades And Types Roman Numerals Or Arabic
Oct 26, 2010

Are ortho grades and types Roman numerals or Arabic?  ...

Roman Numerals As Ordinals - Sm
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone got a solid reference for this?  D:  "Exam reveals a sixth nerve palsy." Does it stay as an unadulterated Roman numeral ("...a VI nerve palsy"), get a superscript "th" (which formatting our system doesn't retain) or does it change to word (as above)?  Thanks! ...

Are Cranial Nerves No Longer Roman Numerals?
Feb 25, 2015

xx ...

Question About Grade, Arabic Or Roman...sm
Nov 01, 2012

I was always taught that grade is always arabic and stage Roman but someone recently told me that is not the case for orthopedic terms, grade III spondylolysis and grade III medial meniscus tear.  Does anyone know if this is correct? ...

Kidney Disease Class -- Roman Or Arabic?
Oct 29, 2009

I've seen kidney disease classifications both Arabic and Roman.  Which is correct?  I've been using Arabic, but I just had an editor change a report to Roman.  I'm confused and can't find it in BOS2.  Thanks! ...

Cranial Nerves - Arabic Or Roman #s - ADHI?
May 20, 2010

I need documentation about cranial nerves.  Got QA edited from using roman numerals, i.e. cranial nerves II through XII versus cranial nerves 2 through 12.  According to my notes, either is okay, but QA said preferred way is 2 through 12, and I got "edited" for it.  Ugh. Anybody?  Thanks.  ...

Neck Dissection Levels - Arabic Or Roman? Nm
Oct 10, 2013

. ...

Obtuse Marginal Branches - Roman Or Arabic Numbers?
Feb 24, 2010

Is it "left circumflex obtuse marginal II" or "left circumflex obtuse marginal 2"?  Thanks.  ...

Stage Kidney Disease - Arabic Or Roman? (not Cancer)
May 26, 2013

Nothing in BOS, at least that I could find. Couldn't find anything on Loma Linda University site. Don't recognize the Google hits for arabic.  Anyone know?  Thanks.  ...

Fluoroscopically Target Starting At Level I - Arabic Of Roman?
Jun 26, 2015

Also this is treatment for renal calculus, I guess lithotriptsy, but in the name of the procedure he mumbles something starting in what S/L "He______".  Any ideas.  Thank you!  ...

In The Sentence: "Step 2 Heart Healthy Diet." Should The 2 Be Arabic Number 2 Or A Roman
Jun 03, 2011

In the sentence: "Step 2 heart healthy diet."  Should the 2 be Arabic number 2 or a Roman numeral II? ...

Stage Vs Stage/ Roman Vs Arabic
Oct 01, 2013

Is stage capitalized or not as a general rule?  What about as it pertains to renal?  And do we now use arabic or roman numerals?  - perplexed!  Thanks for your help!! ...

AHDI Standard For Numbering CKD Stages, Not Cancer Stages
Feb 14, 2013

I cannot find in the AHDI Book of Style, 3rd Edition,the rules regarding Chronic Kidney Disease stages. I am aware of the stages of cancer. I used to have a GU doc complain when Roman Numerals were used for CKD stages, not Arabic numerals. Does anybody know?   ...

I've Always Been Fuzzy On Format For Cancer Stages And TNM Stages.
Jan 19, 2010

Stage IV-A pT1N2BMX squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. ...

How Should Numerals Next To Numerals Be Written Out For Medications?
Jun 20, 2012

Doc dictates "omega-3 1000 mg, vitamin B12 1000 mcg, vitamin D3 2000 international units" My feeling is maybe it should be expanded to "omega-3 one-thousand mg, vitamin B12 one-thousand mcg, and vitamin D3 two-thousand international units," but that feels wrong.   Anyone have any suggestions? ...

Cancer Stages
Feb 15, 2010

When typing cancer stages, is it Stage 3, Stage III, stage...   ...

Cabcer Stages Help
Apr 03, 2012

The doctor is saying the patient is "c stage 54 from breast cancer".  Not sure how to transcribe this?  I have searched but cannot find stage c in breast cancer or 54.  Help! ...

Stages And Spaces
Mar 10, 2015

Hey everyone, Just curious about this... I just got a report back from my QA at work, and she dinged me for writing "End stage renal disease" instead of "Endstage renal disease."  Now, someone correct me if I am wrong, but those are 2 separate words and should not be together like that, I dont think.  I wouldn't write Stage6 or Stage4 together, so why the difference with end stage?  We are supposed to used the 3rd edition BOS, but I can't find a reference for this. &nbs ...

Can You Combine Numerals And # In A List?
Aug 08, 2012

can you mix them, or do they have to be all numerals or all #?  thanks ...

Stage II Sleep
Dec 04, 2009

Is it stage II sleep or stage 2 sleep? ...

Sleep Medication
Jan 15, 2010

I think... It s/l "serac" maybe? couldn't find anything on something like that.   thanks for any ideas! ...

Sleep Apnea
Mar 30, 2011

The patient has sleep apnea and doc says probably have to come back for s/l refeeding and possible face mask and pressure use.    Could be repeat, but did not know if the term refeeding is relevant to sleep apnea ...

Anyone Else Code In Their Sleep?
Jan 20, 2012

I know I'm finally learning something when I start doing it in my sleep. ...

Sleep Transcribing...
May 18, 2012

I just did that. I was just so tired that I just transcribed a whole 4 minute job while doing what I think was sleeping. If felt good so it must have been some kind of sleep. I was saved by the phone. My husband called and woke me up and I looked up at the screen and it was an utter mess! I repeated lines over and over and typed gibberish. I went even as far and complex to hold down the shift key for brackets. I don't know why I did that when I didn't even need them. I'm s ...

Sleep Apnea Word
Sep 15, 2010

"The patient has sleep apnea.  She states she is wearing a mask and is on...... " It sounds like "homo 2" ? Any ideas ?? Thank you !!   ...

Duodenal S/l Sleep Ulcer
May 16, 2012

This is dictated several times. I cannot find anything for "sleep ulcer" or "sweep ulcer." Any ideas please? Thank you! ...

Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Aug 20, 2013

He does have obstructive sleep apnea with s/l low gas strains per factor. ...

Liver Segments Numeric Or Roman Numeral?
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know if it matters if the liver segments are roman numerals or numeric?  If you know the answer, give reference to where you find it.  Thanks ...

S/l Epfor Score Has To Do With Sleep Apnea?
Nov 13, 2009

thanks ...