A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I really miss straight transcribing - hate VR - tryingtostayawake

Posted: Jan 28, 2011

I have my first job ever with VR and absolutely hate it; I hardly make any money at it; get tired of constantly changing he to she, adding commas where the machine left them out; I feel like my talent of being a fast typist is being wasted.  I might type 2-3 reports a night and of course they are always the shortest reports of the night! I am so glad I was in transcription at its heyday but those days are long gone as is my love and enthusiasm for this career that I have dedicated 38 years of my life to; at age 55 I am not sure what direction to take.  

Whatever it is, - aka: Broken Record

[ In Reply To ..]
make it definitive! So many are hanging on and on, watching incomes plummet, being unhappy, not taking on the job of developing the skills needed to be good at this new work. Others are leaving, but not retraining, just abandoning valuable skills to go work at low-pay jobs.

So: Back to school for retraining to a whole new job you can enjoy, income not less than $40K? Maybe in the medical field to build on your valuable experience?

Or build on your big experience asset by retraining in place (i.e., do that it takes to be fast) for editing? If you choose the latter, maybe start by making this the very last time you say you hate it. You'll like it a lot better when you're better at it.

Oh, a big tip for staying awake: Break the information into proper paragraphs (something good MTs do anyway). You have to understand the material to do that, which requires paying attention to what it means, which is incredibly more interesting than scanning meaningless blocks of text for wrong verb tenses. After all, we were always supposed to be more than just typists.

Baaad news, Trying. Our talent as typists is - losing out big time to

[ In Reply To ..]
the talent of computers. Even with every possible aid, we can't approach the speed of light. We HAVE to have something else to offer. BTW, it's not just us (silly idea). Typists everywhere are becoming/have become obsolete. Many tens (hundreds?) of thousands of jobs have disappeared over the past 20 years and are not coming back.

Not just typists, but jobs are disappearing for everyone these days - The problem is too big for us to fix

[ In Reply To ..]
The problem with jobs disappearing all across America is way too big for any of us to fix. In the old days people could jump to another job, but these days there aren't any jobs to jump into. As a matter of fact, it isn't just America. This problem is global. I'd love to talk about who did it, but that doesn't even matter anymore. It is what it is, a big problem. Those who have a job at all are blessed, even though those jobs aren't as good as the good old days. In some cases the good old days were actually never as good as people seem to remember them.
"There aren't any jobs to jump into". You hit the nail - squarely on the head. Been looking - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
for a better job than my current company for a couple years, now. the problem is, if I stay in MT, the problem will be the same, just a different company logo on my ever dwindling paycheck.

Coding? nah too boring, plus I'm skeptical about where it's headed. I looked into court reporting, but from what i hear they're currently fighting the automization battle. They've won so far, but we all know its only a matter of time.

my back won't let me do anything that involves lots of standing, but very few sitting-only jobs out there. too old to be a nurse, physician assistant, vet tech, and most other fields either pay nothing or i have no interest in them.

if i can find a niche-type MT job that pays by the hour, I'll jump into it. but so far the only jobs like that always seem to be in other areas, and usually other states than mine. dont want to move, and couldn't affort to even if I wanted to.

If i were any good at it, i'd probably start taking in laundry at this point. or figure 0ut something i could sell on eBay.

"skills needed to be good at this work." Please, if you can type - you can do VR,

[ In Reply To ..]
The pay is the issue for most people. I'm sure those transcriptionists already putting out 300-400 lines an hour have no problem editing a document. We all edit our documents as we type already, so having it all there to just edit would not be some huge task to learn. The pay, pay, pay, pay for VR is the issue for most people, not whether or not they are better at it, cannot make the same amount of money if you cannot VR 800 lines in an hour. Those doing less than 200 lines an hour shouldn't have any issues. I'm not sure why you would assume that someon who hates VR just doesn't know how to do VR, please!!! if you can't do VR because you cannot learn to do it, you shouldn't be doing straight transcription either!!!

TO "If you can type you can do VR." - Not so fast.

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a little harsh. You do state that the pay is the problem. Of course it is. However, I have done VR on a platform that was absolutely horrible. We even had MTs delete the entire record and type it (admonished by management of course) because it was much faster to do so. I generally type 2000 lines per day, but considering that particular platform, I could barely edit above that. The demos, which we did not get paid for, were a nightmare. Yes, we could DO IT, but it was far from profitable for anyone, even the company, which is why I left. The situation was not going to get any better, especially considering the number of dictators from that hospital. Yes, the work is horrid and the PAY is not worth it. Now, if the company adjusted the pay to a fair wage for 8 hours work - why did they invest the money in the platform to begin with? Work was not being produced at the volumes they expected. They were paying 5.5 cpl for the editing but when you have to nearly completely re-do a report, it is not worth it.

I think some of these companies have jumped the gun on investing in some of these platforms. Many can not accomplish what their goal was to begin with and now find those goals were unrealistic.

On a brighter note, I now edit on a Chartnet platform. I consider the design of it to be the best on the market that I know of currently. IMPORTANT: The system calculates the percentage of accuracy on each report dictated. If the percentage falls below 80%, the report is automatically kicked out for manual transcription. For a long time, those reports that make the percentage to remain in the VR system will be calculated in the 80s percent range. Eventually, they move up into the 90s. Those are the reports that are profitable to edit at a faster rate. Unfortunately, it is the computer that decides the calculation so that 85% may really be 75%, but when you get up into the 90s it is a lot more accurate. I actually make more money at 4.5 cpl than I did at 5.5 cpl.

I believe the design of the Chartnet system should be demanded by all MTs and MTSOs. I did straight MT on Chartnet for years. The system was tweaked in this manner for VR. If they can do it, other companies can do it. Personally, I would not work on a platform without it. The platform makes all the difference in the world. Yes, while you CAN DO VR - do you really want to if the design of the system prevents you from making much more than minimum wage?

If these companies want professional, skilled, knowledged, certified, and reliable MTs - they will have to make it worth their time. So many VR platforms just don't do that, so I think when you say if you can't do VR you shouldn't be doing transcription either is a bit unfair.
my point was not about learning a new system to do VR, sm - which has to be done
[ In Reply To ..]
on any new system you do straight transcription for and is new to you. My point was the fact that the pay is not worth those producing aa large amount of lines in a day, which you verified in your own post. Are you doing VR on 4000 lines a day? Not to mention you have to get in and out of each one of the reports. When I saw if you cannot do VR you shouln't be doing transcription either, I was not referring for the system one would be working on.
Just FYI, NotSoFast, all companies calculate those %s - and decide what % to loose on us. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
NM, begging your pardon, but they definitely do not. - BTDT - no message necessary
[ In Reply To ..]
X
No, not ALL. - should be a law. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Okay, not all the little ones. I've worked big for - years and tend to think of them. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
VR Platform - daisy
[ In Reply To ..]
Can I ask who are working for that has the Chartnet platform?
VR - ManyyearsMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't agree more. As a former service owner, I was aware of the different platforms out there, but the company I most recently worked for went to Cornerstone (Vianetta) and "frankly, my dear," (to paraphrase) it stinks! This is not to say that it doesn't have some very desirable features, but the keyboard operations to activate and deactivate the highlighter make getting up to my old transcription speed far more difficult than they need to be.

You're not the first to have a positive review of Chartscript. I have a friend back in MA, also a former service owner, now employed by another company, who raves about it.

At a typical company some will be doing very well, others - okay, and some going broke.

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I also believe rates have dropped too low, but even so lots of people at my company are earning literally double--a few even triple--what many others are, still making a very decent living in spite of lower line rates. Not one or 2--MANY. People not making an adequate living at editing at my company are producing far fewer lines, either because they're just plain too slow and/or because don't work their full shifts.

Whatever, sitting around blaming others may provide some bitter satisfaction, but doing it for months and even years as they slide into poverty...? New plan needed--RIGHT NOW.
It all depends on your yearly income, it you were making $25,000 a year, - no reason not to make more on VR
[ In Reply To ..]
If you were making over 50,000 a year, with a cut in pay and having to spend a large amount of time on VR reports, your pay is going to go down. As stated above, someone doing the minimal amount of lines for a company 1200 lines a day is probably go to see an increase in line count on VR, a high producer is probably going to be working double time trying to make what he/she did on straight typing because it is a large number of lines to have to VR.
High producers may see a decline. I did. But certainly - Partially true, but not all by a loooong shot.
[ In Reply To ..]
nowhere near 50%. Most high producers aren't supertypists, but are smart and conscientious. That pays off in editing too. My decline is about 10% now that I've worked on it, although it was higher initially.

Likewise, yes, low producers can see more benefit to some degree, but (but exclusion for newbies), whatever is causing someone to be a 1200 liner instead of a 2400 liner will still hold his or her income down as an editor.
I totally agree with you, but a loss is a loss, who wants to take a loss - on something they have been doing for years
[ In Reply To ..]
Not me, but I'm speaking to those who are afraid they - cannot make a living at all. After years of consta
[ In Reply To ..]
pressure to get faster to make up the lost income with each rate decrease, I am pretty darned fast, in spite of klutzy fingers, and thereby making enough to be serene if not the world traveler I'd like to be.

One problem for experienced MTs is - in my opinion as an experienced MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of us who have years of experience as MTs are used to working without having to learn anything new or follow very specific instructions. That's where we get in trouble. The newer MTs may come out of school knowing the importance of following instructions when we old-timers are out of the habit and/or don't think we should have to change.

Excellent Message - I agree with almost all of it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with almost every part of your message. Retraining for a whole new job is not realistic for most people in an economy where almost every job in every field is suffering.

Your idea about retraining in place for editing is the best idea I can think of for most people who are not doing as well as they would like.

I feel for you. Would not consider doing VR again. - SuzyQ

[ In Reply To ..]
After having the wonderful new technology called voice recognition introduced during employment at my last job, I sought employment elsewhere. I now work for a company that does not use it currently and does not plan to implement it in the future. What a blessing!

I agree - MT2long

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter how many training sessions, no matter how I talk myself into how cool it is to be an editor, bottom line is it is much less pay... that is the bottom line for them (the MTSO) but that is the bottom line for me, as my bill collectors do not care about MTSOs and hospitals paying me cheap. They want me to pay for their services. So, I am very happy thank you with my small MTSO which gives me straight typing, ESLs and all. Yes. It pays the bills. On time every time. That's my bottom line (aside from a good night's sleep).

I don't like VR either... my first job as well - ncMT

[ In Reply To ..]
when the recruiter called me, she said I'd have some VR.. hired me at a good cpl rate, only to have NO straight transcription and all VR. Don't like it at all. Got another job doing straight transcription but having to work both full-time to catch up on bills. Love my new job at least but again, there's not enough work. always something.

Hate VR editing? Uh oh, I just accepted VR editor job - daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been MT for over 5 years and recently lost my job. I just accepted a part-time VR editing position. Why do you hate it so much? Can I be so bold as to ask what you are being paid per line (65 char. or gross lines)?

Daisy, strongly recommend you seek input from - the many people doing well.

[ In Reply To ..]
There's more than plenty to read from the We-HATE-Editing crowd, but watch out lest it pull you down. There are also lots of posts from people trying to pass on what's working for them.

Info on rates per line is fairly meaningless in itself because, as NotSoFast pointed out, how clean the documents are when they arrive for editing varies greatly.

Some are so good I've sipped coffee as I listened and scanned. At my current job, I have to stop the dictation altogether if I want a sip but am paid almost 6 cents per line to make corrections in nearly every sentence. That's too low, BTW, needs adjusting up to at least a bit over 7 for this particular work. I know because I now earn more on transcribed docs although I'm good and fast at both.

It's also important to know that all companies keeps the numbers NotSoFast mentions and that the % set for each account is negotiated between the company and provider client.

The question is not whether the line rate offered is 3 cents or 6 cents, but whether that line rate is appropriate to the amount of correction needed. This is what you need to know and is found out by, hopefully, finding out how ALL others are doing on the accounts you'll have, not just the complainers (always far more vociferous), for your own sake, and then by your own experience. Note that my complaint isn't about the amount of editing needed (their decision, after all), only am I properly paid for it.

Hope you do very nicely.

I think you need to go 1 step further. CPL is irrelevant. - What you make per hour is SM

[ In Reply To ..]
what you need to know. If easy platform that pays less or clunky platform that pays more doesnt matter. Also platform doesnt really matter. Whatever platform, what matters is can you make money on it? It is like a puzzle trying to figure out how to squeeze every second off that report. Time is money, after all.
SO true. My average hourly and paycheck gross are - the figures I work from--and work for. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Are Any Of You Transcribing Straight Into EMR?
Dec 29, 2010

I was wondering if any of you are transcribing straight into EMR and if you are, how does that work? How different is it to standard MT? Do you use it in conjunction with VR? Do you work for a large or small hospital, clinic, or physician's office? Specialty? Anything else I forgot to ask?  LOL ...

Keystrokes: Is It More Straight Transcribing Or More Speech Editing?
Jun 15, 2012

thanks! ...

Miss QTL
Jan 21, 2010

I think that is what they were called.  The person who assisted our sup.  Anyway, I really like my sup.  But I never hear back from her when I email, I make edits in Teamwork and it still hasn't been done.  I requested time off in Feb and it is still in request status.  I have no hours listed for when I am supposed to work. I miss having someone who sends out a backlog and responds to my emails within a day, sooner most of the time. I feel like I am swinging out o ...

I Miss MT!
Feb 15, 2014

I work full-time in a clerical position.  I don't really enjoy it but I make a decent living.  I thought I would love typing for a living so I took the MT training from one of the best schools (expensive and labor intensive, as you all know), and got a p/t weekend job working for a MTSO.  I quickly became jaded for the many reasons already discussed on this forum.  I wasn't even making a babysitter's wage.  I knew there was no way I could afford to quit my ...

Don't Miss Dep
Aug 22, 2014

I've never understood what dep was.  I started with this company 3 years ago (then Medquest), and was told to put dep after my ID number to access something which I never understood.  It always rejected my login under dep, and I was embarrassed at that time to contact Support, so I just never used it, whatever its purpose was.   So, now that we apparently can't access it, I don't miss it. ...

Do Any At Home MTs Miss This...
Feb 09, 2010

I totally miss getting a huge snowstorm (like today in my area, 10 to 14 inches) and being able to call in to work to say "I can't make it in today... the roads are horrible" I am trying hard to concentrate on work today, but all I want to do is call in to work, go outside and build a huge snowman, then shovel a little, and come in and make a huge mug of hot chocolate and watch it snow.   LET IT SNOW!!!! ...

Take A Guess At This ASR Miss
Jan 05, 2012

ASR says: He was seen in "twelfth" 2011.   Anyone care to guess what "twelfth" means? ...

I Miss Encompass
Sep 17, 2012

No other company currently compares.  Where did you all end up?  Did you stick with Nuance or find greener pastures? ...

Did I Miss An Email
Jan 12, 2013

are they paying us extra to clean up this mess? ...

How's Softscript Doing? I Miss Them So Much.
Jan 06, 2014

nm ...

Does Anyone Else Really Miss The Search Option
Oct 19, 2009

in this website?  Sometimes I was able to search for something and find an answer in old threads and not have to post the question and wait.  ...

Did I Miss Something About 401K Match
Mar 13, 2012

Did we get an email about them matching now? I didn't get one and I've seen some posts on here about it.  If so, can someone tell me the date they got the email?  Thanks ...

The Good Old MT Days ... What I Miss Most
May 30, 2012

Quality, Turnaround, and Price ... pick two!!! ...

I Guess Miss Princess
Jul 02, 2013

She is General Counsel, SR VP & Secretary.  ...

Miss The Old Days When There Were Bonuses!
Nov 27, 2013

Miss the old days when there were bonuses! 16 years ago old boss who had her own Transcription company hired someone to delivery Christmas tray with Santa in middle,surrounded by Christmas candy, with a bonus check for $50 on the tray. Those days are LOOOONNNNNNG GONE. Let's put our Pollyanna glasses on for a minute and pretend our 37 million dollar CEO is going to give up one of his millions and divide it amongst us. Miracles happen, right? ...

Pt With S/l Miss Awe Kaw Stage IIA Thymic Carcinoma.
Dec 06, 2011

? ...

I Miss My DSG Walmart Gift Card ... And DSG!!
Dec 17, 2012

Merry Christmas to all!  :) ...

I HATE MY JOB, I HATE THIS LIFE
Jul 09, 2011

I HATE that I am tied to my office just waiting for work to come in on two different companies.  I HATE that I just quit a third company because of LACK OF COMMUNICATION (gave my notice to Keystrokes, no response from ANYONE).  What is wrong with these people?  They demand certain things of us but we have no rights?  I HATE HATE HATE it and as soon as I possibly can find another job, I will LEAVE MT WORLD FOREVER.  I HATE THAT I HAVE NO LIFE WITH THIS PROFESSION.  H ...

End Of My Rope. Hate My Job, Hate What Has Become
Feb 18, 2014

of the medical field in general. What happened to all the American doctors? Has it become so blasted easy for foreigners to come over and get a job as a doctor or are Americans so damn-ass lazy that they don't want to get the education? Or is to so blasted expensive that no one can afford to become a doctor unless you are a foreign student? So freaking sick and tired of all these foreign dictators who speak so fast and sloppy. What the heck is going to become of our health care when we can& ...

Former Transcend MTs--don't Miss The Exec Salaries Posts Below
Oct 03, 2012

Doesn't this just make you sick--Sue Mc stays at Nuance for $295,000 per year plus bonuses, stock, and perks.  Larry G gets a severance package after end of year for $347,000 to include perks and 18 months of COBRA.  And we're making less than ever!!!!!   ...

Miss The Good Old Days Of Medical Transcription
Mar 27, 2014

I miss the lively atmosphere of a transcription room filled with other transcriptionists, with doctors strolling in and out, joking, grabbing from the tray of homemade goodies someone had brought in to share.  I miss the laughing and sharing of stories or the mutual griping about the doctors' dictations.  I miss the holiday pot luck dinners and decorations and bonuses.  I miss the formal dictating style that doctors used to go by.  I miss having a job that was in demand ...

Did I Totally Miss It, Or Does The Tiny Print Ad By Nicole Webb Nm
Sep 21, 2012

Abdominal Ultraound, Fibroids, Moderate Right S/l A/miss/al Free Fluid?
Jan 08, 2013

Abdominal ultrasound notable for uterine fibroids, moderate right _________ free fluid, multiple gallstones within the gallbladder, with at least 8 measuring 6 to 7 mm with enlarged hepatic duct measuring 6.2 mm. I keep hearing a/miss/all but doc is very hard to understand.  Any thoughts?? ...

When I Am Transcribing
May 06, 2010

that sound that sounds like an old-fashioned bicycle horn, you know the one with a bulb on it? ...

Transcribing From A DVD
May 12, 2010

I am going to receive 2 DVDs from a client containing focus group videos. I use Express Scribe for my clients. I have never transcribed a DVD and am wondering if there is a way to use Express Scribe for this. Researched this and found no helpful info. Has anyone done this, or is there another free program that I can use for this? Thanks. Lynn ...

Transcribing With VR
Feb 29, 2012

This might be considered controversial, but has any MT out there used a VR program to "transcribe" dictation instead of actually using a keyboard to transcribe?  So I am not misunderstood, I'll be very literal here:  As the MT, you listen to the dictation and instead of typing it out, you speak what you are hearing into a VR program on your computer to produce the "transcribed" report.  I can't be the only one out here who has thought of this and the only reason I can co ...

Need Help Transcribing
Feb 05, 2013

Physician says "abdomen soft; non-tender; non-distended; no "rawls" - how is this "rawls" supposed to be spelled out? Thanks in advance! - sam ...

Are We All OOW Because The QCs Are Transcribing Now?
Feb 26, 2015

I wouldn't put anything past them. It might even get worse when the QCs start receiving production pay. ...

Transcribing
Apr 21, 2015

I'm sorry, I need to blow off some steam and perhaps those who have their own accounts could shed some light.  I have been an MT for a very long time and in the past, what an MT did was TRANSCRIBE.  We didn't follow account specs or change sentences, etc.  Why has the MT industry come to this and why do the MTSO owners agree to this?  I don't mind at all fixing broken English, because I understand that process, but changing what a doctor says, because it's ...

QC Transcribing
Apr 22, 2015

Is there any way to find the QC ID# to see if they are transcribing on my account?  Just wondering because there were apparently a large number of people transcribing on my acct in the last few hours yet when I come on to work there is no work.  Just wondering. ...