A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Making your workstation comfortable? - tiredhands

Posted: Nov 11, 2010

Hi ladies,

I'm coming to realize that even though I've been searching and searching for another job, I'm going to be MT'ing for some time to come. 

I'm rather uncomfortable while typing all day, from my hands, arms, bottom, ears from the headphones, my foot from hitting the pedal.  I have pillows under my foot and bottom and even my back and it doesn't help as much as I would like.  I'm using a regular Microsoft keyboard and mouse, neither really ergonomic.  I'm using the mouse now with a new account and I'm noticing more pain and discomfort in my right arm...wondered if a rolling mouse is really worth the investment.

But, I would like to invest in some new equipment that would make my life a little easier and would love to hear suggestions on a mouse, keyboard, headphones, really anything that makes your day a little easier and more comfortable.

Thanks in advance!

My best investment (and it's not cheap) is an -sm - Idle MT

[ In Reply To ..]
adjustable keyboard tray - 4G by Humanscale. It mounts under your desk and can be raised, lowered, swung right and left, tilted, and the mouse-platform mounted either on the right or left, or both. I like my keyboard at lap-level, because I've had neck and shoulder injuries in the past from my keyboard being up on top of the desk.
I also got a good gel wristpad, and that works well.

The other great investment is my chair. It's a Sealy Posturpedic leather chair with 6-way adjustment, and I can spend 18+ hours a day in it quite happily!

I keep an oil-filled space heater next to me to hover over during the winter months, and use fingerless gloves almost year-round to keep my hands warm, and thus typing faster. I found some cute, neon-pink knit ones at a teen fashion shop in a mall that I just love.

I'm right-handed, but use the mouse with my left hand most of the time. Among other things, I notice that since I use left-click much more than right-click, holding the mouse with my left hand, my index finger is exactly where is should be. If I'm mousing & clicking a lot with my right hand, the index finger knuckle gets sore from constantly stretching my finger to the left to try to left-click.

Finally, I like my monitor just the right height, so for me, I found a large ring-binder notebook , about 1-1/2 inches thick, gives it just the right height and angle.

I also like to wear comfy slippers on my feet, too!

Yeah, I forgot about the space heater. I have one too. - NKC

[ In Reply To ..]
Also everyone in my house absolutely knows they are NOT to adjust mommy's chair when they sit at my desk. If they do it, they DIE! Just kidding, but you get the point.

And DO NOT touch the monitor either. Not only can I not stand to have the height of my monitor adjusted, I abhor finger prints on my screen. I can't focus when there are little smudges and finger prints on my monitor screen.

Also mom is the only person allowed to eat or drink at the desk PERIOD. I know it's not fair, but I'm the dictator of this house and that's the way that it is.

I use the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard which I love. - NKC

[ In Reply To ..]
Best purchase I ever made. My desk is in front of a window because I find it relaxing to be able to look outside and open the window for fresh air.

The big thing is the chair which took me forever to find one I liked. I have a huge executive desk chair. I like to be able to tuck my left leg up under me when I'm sitting and typing and not all chairs have a big enough seat to let me do that, but the executive chairs are made bigger. I know it's not ergonomic posture, but I have to be able to do it. I basically went shopping for a chair and sat in probably 100 chairs, tucking my leg up under me just to see how comfortable it was. The sales people looked at me like I was a freak, but when you spend half your day in a chair, you have to make sure it is the right one.

Finally, I'm a shortie. So when adjusting my chair the right height for my keyboard and monitor to be right where I want them, my feet don't touch the ground. So my step-dad who works with wood as a hobby, made me a wooden step that I can put my pedal on and rest both feet one, so they aren't just dangling.

I think I've tried a million different headphone styles over the years and I settled on Koss DC-10. They are sort stethoscope style, which I hate, but these come with these comfortable rubber ear pieces so it doesn't feel like the headphone is boring into your brain and the sound quality is excellent.

Basically, you just figure out what makes you comfortable and then you become an inventor, and invent ways to adapt your surroundings and furniture to your specific comfort.

It only took me 20+ years to figure it all out though. :)

Good luck!

Is that the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000? nm - tiredhands

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

I believe so, but my current one is by PC Concepts - Saugust

[ In Reply To ..]
If the hand positioning feels right, I pick it up if the price is right. Right now, more than ever, I'm all about the cost savings.

A friend of mine suggested the ergo boards several years ago. It was instant pain relief, seriously. It feels a bit odd at first having your hands spread so far apart, but it's so worth it.

Most definitely a marble mouse. Mine's from Logitech. - RoadRunnerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Comfort measures - Saugust

[ In Reply To ..]
A good chair - Definitely! I've had the same one for over five years now. I used gift money to purchase it. The seat is just now starting to not feel as cushiony. That's fixable with a small pillow.

It has three-way adjustment. The back can be raised, lowered, and tilted. Same with the seat. They can be moved as one unit or individually. The seat and lumbar support are also shallower and lower than a lot of chairs, so my knees can actually bend instead of sticking out like a little kid on a big chair, and the lumbar support isn't hitting me just below the ribs.

It wasn't an overly expensive chair, at the time, at $100.

Good keyboard height. The adjustable one mentioned above is great, but pricey (about $100 last I knew). I'm lucky enough to have a carpenter for a fiance; he made a shelf based on my exact needs.

Rollerball mouse.

I started using headphones/earbuds as little as possible. If I can get good clarity through the speakers, I use them. Something about not being tethered is really liberating.

A heating pad at my feet. I found it works much better for me than a space heater, since it's usually my feet that are the coldest.

Adjustable foot rest. Again, made by my fiance, but the one I had before this one was from Ikea, and much cheaper than ones anywhere else.

Fleecy blanket. I found this idea in a book called "Living More With Less." Wool blankets are used as coats in Lesotho. Secure a blanket around your shoulders with a large safety pin. It feels much cozier than a robe or sweater. I'd think a poncho would be similar, just not as long.

If I could type while wearing gloves I would. I just can't get used to the feel of it.

Ergonomic keyboard. Check out thrift stores. People must buy them and not like them. Since discovering this, the most I've paid is $8; I was able to pick one up at St. Vinnie's for $1. At this price I can have a couple of extras on hand for those unfortunate spills, or if it just decides it's too old to work anymore.

Monitor stand. Homely, but I have a bunch of thin boards stacked up to juuuuust the right height for my eyeballs.

I've thought about trying out a Snuggie this winter. - Anyone tried to type with this?

[ In Reply To ..]
With the arm holes and stuff, I thought it would be perfect for wrapping up in and working!

I've made one with a blanket and a few big safety pins. Way cheaper. - Saugust

[ In Reply To ..]
I love it.
Love all the suggestions - tiredhands
[ In Reply To ..]
and looking into them already! Hopefully it helps with my concentration which is about shot these days :)
Mouse magnifier - Shipwrecked
[ In Reply To ..]
I ordered a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (corded) on eBay for about $10. To my surprise, it has a little button on the side you can click for a magnification window to open. I no longer have to stand up and put my face against the screen to read small print. I ordered 2 more to keep in reserve, since I've become really dependent on it.

Similar Messages:

Workstation Landdesk Management
Apr 20, 2013

I have not gotten an e-mail on this from my TSM, so maybe it isn't in our region yet.  Be that as it may, some of the comments I read lead me to goggle this.  I'm not computer geek and it's really early in the a.m. (only 1 cup of coffee and 2 cigs) so my brain is not quite functioning yet.  What I'm reading and i could be wrong, is that there is not quite enough info on this system in my opinion.  What I have read seems to me to be like Big Brother, someon ...

Workstation Landdesk Management Agent
Apr 19, 2013

Has anyone else had a problem downloading this? According to the email, it looks like we're required to install it, but Norton is telling me not to. I dread contacting support over this. ...

Most Comfortable Headphones
Oct 15, 2009

Which headphones do you like the best in terms of comfort and quality? Some of the ones that fit inside the ears, the earbuds, make my ears sore. My boss suggested the noise-canceling kind that fit over the ears, but they are very expensive and they also look like they were be very heavy to wear. Any recommendations would be great, thank you. ...

Comfortable Headphones
Oct 18, 2009

I've always used just cheap stereo headphones but I want to try some of the ones that are made specifically for transcription. The problem is the kind that fit inside my ears can hurt, the ones that are more rounded buds and have foam on them. What headphones do you recommend that are comfortable inside the ear? I tried some recently from a fellow MT and I think they were made by Lanier but I can't remember, but they seemed comfortable. Is Lanier the best also for sound quality? I loo ...

What Do You Do To Make Yourself Comfortable
Jul 30, 2010

I get soo uncomfortable sitting for at least 8 hours every day.  My right arm and hand just ache/sore constantly, and my fingers, especially on my right hand, are really getting painful.  I sit with my keyboard on my lap (on a pillow), sit with a pillow underneath and behind me.  My heel even hurts from using the foot pedal.  I'm wondering if a left hand keyboard would work for me, or an ergonomic.  I've used an ergonomic before (it broke) and didn't recal ...

Comfortable Chairs
Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a heads up on a good, comfortable chair I can order online? I just moved into a new apartment and need a much better chair than the one I have. I used to think the more you paid, the better the chair but I've learned that's not true whatsoever. What's your chair like? ...

Suggestions On The Best COMFORTABLE Headset For Transcription?
Aug 10, 2010

I'm looking for suggestions on the best COMFORTABLE headset for transcription?  It seems like I go through 2 pair a year.  I even bought more expensive ones last time thinking that would help.  Nope, the right ear went out.  Very frustrating.  Thanks in advance. ...

Looking For A Comfortable Wireless Keyboard To Type On
Jan 28, 2013

Any suggestions as to a comfortable wireless keyboard to use with my laptop? Currently using a logitech ergonomic keyboard but the keys seem a little sharp around the edges to me.  Thank you! ...

Does Anyone Feel Comfortable Posting What They Will Receive In UE?
Apr 06, 2013

I'm FT, been with MM for 15 years.  I'm a single mom of one teenager, my average income is ~around $1200/mo.  Does that make a difference?   I'm just trying to figure out if I got "the call", if the UE I (or any of us) receive is enough to pay bills with.  If it's close to what I earn I will be OK.  If it's $200/mo I will be in huge trouble.      ...

Earphones - Searching For Comfortable Headsets Or Earbuds
Feb 04, 2011

I am searching for comfortable headsets or earbuds. What have you experienced MTs found that works the best? I want to hear well, while being comfortable...:) ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Workstation With A Good Pullout Keyboard Tray
Dec 04, 2014

that is wide enough for a wrist rest.  This needs to be in my bedroom so cant be too huge.  I like the tower off the floor also.  Thanks.  ...

Trying On A New Company! The Fit Sounds Comfortable With Edoc. Any Other Edoc MTs Out There?
Jun 28, 2010

I am excited to be starting with a smaller company. Hoping I can be more productive.  WooHoo! ...

"Comfortable" Line Count
Feb 14, 2011

For those of you who work on production, how long did it take for you to be comfortable with the line count you're transcribing?    "Comfortable" may not be the appropriate word because the amount of money is never enough for the majority of us but enough to pay your bills and still some left over to treat yourself, vacation, save.  I'm still getting used to being paid on production and I don't mind it, but I still want to work on producing more to become comfortabl ...

Making Less And Less
Oct 17, 2009

First there was line count....then there was ASR.....now there is MME. Does anyone know how much less they are making doing MME?  I just started and I am not making any money. Who is doing the work on the accounts that we used to do? ...

Making Even Less
Oct 20, 2009

I have just been switched to another BoB because we lost several accounts in the BoB I was in....now I have to learn all new accounts....at 3 cpl I will end up owing MQ money!! ...

How Much Are You Making?
Feb 21, 2010

Hey everyone.  I am just curious as to what everyone makes these days (if you are being paid by the line) and how long should you stay at that rate before you ask for more/raise your price? I've been at 12 cents per line for the past 3.5 years and I don't know how much more I should ask for.  I don't want to ask for too much, yet I don't want to sell myself short.  I am just thankful to even have my job so I don't want to rub anyone the wro ...

To Me2 Making 40K
Jun 17, 2010

Just have to ask, how much ASR do you do? Are you able to fly through at high speed without going back to proof and still getting strong audit? Do you have several dictators with several formats or a handful with all the same format? Your credentials are impressive but there are only so many things you can do to make that kind of money anymore and it is painful for me to know you are able to make that much at the same company, doing the same kind of work. Also, how much time would you say you ...

Making More Than Me
Nov 29, 2010

Just found out through the grapevine that someone was hired at my company at a higher cpl that I was offered.  I have been there since June and was offered a low rate compared to most MTSO companies.  But it did get me off the midnight shift at a different company, which I would have stayed with had I been given the opportunity to change shifts.  She was offered 2 cpl more for straight and 1.75 cpl more for ASR.   I also have more years in the profession than she does, a ...

MAKING $$
Jan 15, 2011

Can I make over $35,000 with Medquist? ...

Anybody Making Over 30K On SR?
Sep 30, 2011

How in the heck are you supposed to make any money doing SR?  Is it possible?  I make good money as a transcriptionist and have avoided SR up to now.  Now my company is transitioning over and I'm contemplating running for the door. I don't see how it's possible to make any money when you get paid half the cpl that you would make for transcribing.  I generally transcribe as fast as the dictator talks (unless they're really crappy, of course).  You stil ...

Am I The Only One Making
Dec 11, 2012

Input is appreciated, thank you! ...

So, If You Are On 100% QA Does That Mean You Are Only Making 1 Cpl? Nm
Feb 26, 2013

xx ...

Do You Any MTs Making $50,000 Or More Per Year?
Nov 11, 2009

Does anyone know personally of any MT who makes $50,000 a year or more?  A college recruiter called me at home one night and asked what I did for a living and when I told her I did not make that kind of money she said "I was told most MTs make around $50,000 a year.  Only in my dreams.  LOL.  ...

TO THOSE MAKING THE BUCKS
Nov 12, 2009

To those making 50+ K a year: I'm glad to know that in this industry it is still possible to make a decent living! I LOVE transcription!  I've been an at-home MT for about 5 years and see the potential, but seem to get easily distracted being at home and get restless and can't sit still.  What is it that you are doing to stay focused on your work?  Is it really about working weekends and second, third shifts?  Please share! I'm stuck at around 25K, when ...

This NP Is Making Me Crazy!!!
Nov 21, 2010

Honest to Pete, this woman has no clue about pronunciation.  A couple of reports ago she's reading a radiology report and says very clearly "primitive destruction" and then goes on to spell it "permeative."  Those are two very different words and to me have very different pronunciations. Now she's on a patient who has had chemoradiation therapy, "altima" and zometa.  Umm, you mean Alimta?  It's going to be a long afternoon.  ...

Making Pleurals
Jan 13, 2011

This dictator is saying "glute-i" to make gluteus a pleural.  I can't document a correct spelling for the pleural form of gluteus.  Thoughts?   ...

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

I Need Help With Making VR Work For Me...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm really apparently missing the magic that is needing to make VR work for me.  Please if there is someone out there that can provide me with some insight on this, I would be forever grateful.  I am struggling with getting to even 150 lph which is overwhelmingly disheartening given that prior to recently having to become a traditional employee again due to a massive life change after 20+ years as a small business owner of a small MTSO I was QAing and/or typing upwards of 250 ...

I Know How Some People Are Probably Making
May 10, 2011

ASR. They aren't following client profiles and not even reading the output based on what I saw on a report from today that I looked at! No wonder we have been told the client has been complaining about quality. ...

Anyone Besides Me Who Is New At Nuance And Not Making It
Jul 26, 2011

I really would like to hear from anyone who has been there for a matter of days to 2 months.  I am going on my 3rd week now and I am NOT making any headway at all, though the money is better than my other job.  Also, do we get paid for headers and footers.  I feel like I am typing and typing and get a lousy 44 lines sometimes... Taking a short break from Nuance, then must get back.  For example today, I worked for 90 minutes at my other job and did 567 lines (editing). Then ...